The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from San Diego, CA!

ir_dizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone!

My name is Irwin and I have been dreaming about detaching myself from the corporate lifestyle for years! I love to think and use my imagination; so thinking up ideas for a business is fun, but that's where the fun stops... I have ideas but feel I am inefficient when it comes to doing research; I have questions but don't know how to efficiently answer them; my questions are usually: is there a market for this idea? how many businesses are currently already doing this [my idea], how much will I need for start-up, is this going be be profitable, etc... I sometimes feel the "paralysis by analysis" syndrome and really need to get out of this funk...

I do know one thing - I have entrepreneurial blood in my veins; I feel it... I get so excited when I talk about business ideas with different people and I want to meet more like-minded people.

I am currently a corporate financial analyst, but will jump ship from my career in a heartbeat WHEN I find the right idea...

I'm happy to be apart of this great community - if anyone here reads this and is located in the San Diego area, I would love to meet someday to chat.

Best to everyone -

Irwin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Welcome. I also live in San Diego. Aside from Arizona, I'd say that SD is the most common place that I've seen so far where fastlane members live.

ir_dizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
mrhahn and darkside -

What part of San Diego are you guys located? I am in Escondido and am so happy that I found this forum. I have been thinking about the fast lane for years even before I read MJ's book, but never really had an outlet to share my thoughts.

Anyways; have either of you started a business before? Was it B&M or on the web? I have a few ideas, but need to learn how to research properly before I get to the next stage. Until I read MJ's book I was always trying to look for a brand new idea; it is now apparent that's not the only way to start a business.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I live near National City and Chula Vista, so fairly close to the border. I haven't started a business yet but am planning to soon.

ir_dizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
That's great to hear - how has the whole process been so far? How did you find out your idea? How did you conduct research to see if the idea is feasible and will ultimately net you a profit? I apologize about the abundance of questions... I just see that you've made a lot more progress than me and am just looking for pointers...

If you posted your experiences in prior posts I can just look those up. I have a few ideas, but I ultimately shoot them down or leave them on the back burner b/c I feel like I over-analyze. I used to be worried if someone else was already doing what I wanted to do, but I feel different about that now after reading the Fastlane book and talking with other like-minded people.

How old are you BTW? Do you currently or have you had a "day" job? If so, in what field(s)? I'm 31 and have recently altered my short and long term plans (grad school, buying a house, having kids) to pursue my ultimate dream of having a successful business.

I did some research online and found a company in PB that helps entrepreneurs start their business - I thought it was pretty cool... I don't know if they help you with the idea and do research to check feasibility or if they just help with the start-up process once the business idea is set in place.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
That's great to hear - how has the whole process been so far?

Fairly good so far. But, I've yet to test my idea so I might not be doing so well in that regard if it goes badly. But, my philosophy will be to keep trying new things until I eventually succeed, so if this business fails then I'll move on to another one.

How did you find out your idea?

Through surfing websites like techcrunch and looking at what some other businesses are doing. I then try to implement things that they aren't doing; in order to see which areas are being neglected you have to know which areas are being addressed currently so it's a good idea to keep up with startup news on websites like techcrunch. Otherwise you might spend months trying to implement an idea that's already been done.

How did you conduct research to see if the idea is feasible and will ultimately net you a profit?

I haven't done any official research in that sense but I can tell that it's a profitable idea as it's already making money for other people; but I'm putting a new twist on it. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether I can execute well enough on the idea to make money off of it.

I apologize about the abundance of questions... I just see that you've made a lot more progress than me and am just looking for pointers...

No problem. I felt the same way that you did when I first joined this forum last year. Reading other peoples posts and doing some of your own research should bring you up to speed within a few weeks.

If you posted your experiences in prior posts I can just look those up. I have a few ideas, but I ultimately shoot them down or leave them on the back burner b/c I feel like I over-analyze. I used to be worried if someone else was already doing what I wanted to do, but I feel different about that now after reading the Fastlane book and talking with other like-minded people.

How old are you BTW? Do you currently or have you had a "day" job? If so, in what field(s)? I'm 31 and have recently altered my short and long term plans (grad school, buying a house, having kids) to pursue my ultimate dream of having a successful business.

I'm 24 years old. I'm currently employed at a crap minimum wage type of job while I work on my fastlane plans. I figure if I got a better job I wouldn't have enough time and energy to devote to my fastlane plans. I want to be retired before the age of 30. It's a good idea on your part to put family and other responsibilities off for the time being because they will make it harder for you to accomplish your goals.

I did some research online and found a company in PB that helps entrepreneurs start their business - I thought it was pretty cool... I don't know if they help you with the idea and do research to check feasibility or if they just help with the start-up process once the business idea is set in place.

They might just charge you a fee to help you with stuff like filing the necessary papers to start your business.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
dizzle,
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/in...rogrammer-looking-make-great-connections.html. Currently I'm in Sabre Springs area.

I look at a few factors: saturation of the market I'm trying to enter, the size of the market, and my ability to execute my idea.

Interesting, make sure you know exactly what services they offer. You may find the info they offer here for free.
How did you conduct research to see if the idea is feasible and will ultimately net you a profit?

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Greetings Irwin! Yes lots of San Diegans, Philadelphians, Texans, and Arizonians! Thanks for the intro and welcome.

ir_dizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
Fairly good so far. But, I've yet to test my idea so I might not be doing so well in that regard if it goes badly. But, my philosophy will be to keep trying new things until I eventually succeed, so if this business fails then I'll move on to another one.

Through surfing websites like techcrunch and looking at what some other businesses are doing. I then try to implement things that they aren't doing; in order to see which areas are being neglected you have to know which areas are being addressed currently so it's a good idea to keep up with startup news on websites like techcrunch. Otherwise you might spend months trying to implement an idea that's already been done.

I haven't done any official research in that sense but I can tell that it's a profitable idea as it's already making money for other people; but I'm putting a new twist on it. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether I can execute well enough on the idea to make money off of it.

No problem. I felt the same way that you did when I first joined this forum last year. Reading other peoples posts and doing some of your own research should bring you up to speed within a few weeks.

I'm 24 years old. I'm currently employed at a crap minimum wage type of job while I work on my fastlane plans. I figure if I got a better job I wouldn't have enough time and energy to devote to my fastlane plans. I want to be retired before the age of 30. It's a good idea on your part to put family and other responsibilities off for the time being because they will make it harder for you to accomplish your goals.

They might just charge you a fee to help you with stuff like filing the necessary papers to start your business.

Thanks for answering my questions! I wish I was thinking like you at your age...

ir_dizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
Greetings Irwin! Yes lots of San Diegans, Philadelphians, Texans, and Arizonians! Thanks for the intro and welcome.

Thanks! I absolutely love your book - you're an inspiration to us all! I recently heard you on the smartpassiveincome blog with Pat Flynn - it was a pleasant surprise; I actually got excited when I heard you were going to be on the podcast!!!

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Thanks for answering my questions! I wish I was thinking like you at your age...

I feel the same way about some of the younger posters on here who are 18, 19, 20, etc. I started thinking this way when I was 23, so compared to them I'm late getting into this but it's better late than never.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...