The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ejun88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
May 19, 2017
Malaysia
Hi Everyone,

Just joined this forum a few days ago. I am a banker from a well known international bank located in Malaysia. Despite that I always feel like starting up a business especially after an unpleasant experience that I have 2 years ago, it finally pushes me to move forward.

I still remember back in 2015 when I was sitting in the room with my manager when she told me that due to budget constraint the company would not able to give me any raise and bonuses for all the hard work that I pour into the company. As first I was stunned for a moment with an awkward smile, looking at my manager in disbelief of what I just heard.

I did question my then manager whether am I not a contributor to the team? Have I not worked hard enough and done things enough and whether this is a fair treatment to me? To which she replied, yes I am a contributor but because of company policy and limitation of budget she has no choice and apologize.

I remember that gut wrenching moments when I felt an enormous sense of betrayal by my company. Mind you, the company I worked for is an International top ranking bank in the world and they are profiting. Yet for some stupid, weird reason that is beyond comprehension, they have a limit of how much budget to be allocated to each unit. And I was the unlucky one back in 2015.

Growing up, I have read countless stories of successful entrepreneurship story that always aspire me to be as successful as them. Yet, as inspiring it is, it seems like a far fetch dream, that I could ever be that capable. This self-doubt of own capability has somehow grounded me throughout the years. But on that faithful day, that moment in the glass-walled room shifted my life drastically. It is like a wake-up call to me that employment is not a long term journey that I wish to participate in. I managed to find a new employment in a few months but I no longer enjoyed working life. There is always that burning sensation that I wanted to do start something, to create something belongs to me and have a total control of my life.

Enlisting a friend of mine and a friend of his, we formed a team of 3 to launch a private label for a watch. Coming from different background and compounded that all 3 of us are very strong opinionated individuals it created a lot of friction within the team. But we embraced it as we believe that friction is good, to challenge different opinions actually opens up how you view things differently. Things are moving along smoothly though slowly. Yet, we failed.

As we keep improving the design and source for better quality material soon we overshoot our pricing strategy that is way beyond the affordability of our targeted demographic. The final blow was when the manufacturer has difficulties in manufacturer the design that we have. As I no longer convinced that this partnership is worthwhile considering all the aforementioned factors and as we discovered that the design concept for all 3 of us diverse significantly, I pull a plug on it. I departed from the partnership and went back to the drawing board to launch my own label and design.

Lacqna was the birth-child of my previous failed venture with my friend. The name was derived from the latin word, Lacuna which means a gap in between or an unfilled white space which aptly fit my then situation perfectly as I was looking for a purpose of life, to find meaning.

“to see the world, things dangerous to come. to see behind walls, to draw closer. to find each other and feel that is the purpose of life”

The concept was to launch a local brand that I as a Malaysian can be proud of. To vitalize local industry that one day we as a Malaysian point at the wrist of a stranger and proclaim, “hey! the watch you are wearing is from my home-country. It is a great watch”.

I guess in a way, the incident in 2015 was a blessing in disguise. Because of that, it pushes me through. That burning desires to prove something that I am capable of something greater. That the company and the manager had made a wrong decision. In some way, I am grateful for that to happen. Else, I won’t be where I am today to really push through and make things happen.

Now the last journey for all my hard works for the past 2 years shall be proven in July on Kickstarter. Hopefully, all the effort I did would pay off.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I remember that gut wrenching moments when I felt an enormous sense of betrayal by my company. Mind you, the company I worked for is an International top ranking bank in the world and they are profiting. Yet for some stupid, weird reason that is beyond comprehension, they have a limit of how much budget to be allocated to each unit. And I was the unlucky one back in 2015.
Welcome. Another Malaysian here...a third I am meeting here!
I'm sorry for your loss.
I can't help but think of the years I might have to agonizingly go through if I choose to make a career first before going into business....it's insane.
I am a college student, and I did consider Finance as a degree...but thank goodness I did my analysis, and it has a low rate of survival, let alone wealth young.

You are not unlucky...you just had yourself in a place with lower probabilities of control. On the UNSCRIPTED trail, we strive to INCREASE probabilities of control.

Think of probabilities. Luck is SCRIPT bullshit.

The concept was to launch a local brand that I as a Malaysian can be proud of. To vitalize local industry that one day we as a Malaysian point at the wrist of a stranger and proclaim, “hey! the watch you are wearing is from my home-country. It is a great watch”.
I fear that 'need point' to make Malaysia known to the world might be actually 'doing what you love'. The world does not need Malaysia, unless it proves to be an economic superpower or center like Singapore. Malaysia has to become a value producer to be more recognized.

Watches are an alarming commodity, next to jewelery. It's one of the more hawked items aside from used electronics on local e-commerce sites. Unless we want to look into the value skew on a more efficient watch (but you need to fight the Japanese who have mastered that AND pulled down the costs...so that actual value is better than perceived value), you are going into a tough battle.

Besides every damn Malaysian products going out into the market aims to 'bring awareness of the Malaysian culture to the world'...it's a me-too product. Furthermore, the government supports such endeavours and even subsidises some of them if they are related to tourism...F*cking shit. Me-too products make me-too incomes.

As we keep improving the design and source for better quality material soon we overshoot our pricing strategy that is way beyond the affordability of our targeted demographic. The final blow was when the manufacturer has difficulties in manufacturer the design that we have. As I no longer convinced that this partnership is worthwhile considering all the aforementioned factors and as we discovered that the design concept for all 3 of us diverse significantly, I pull a plug on it. I departed from the partnership and went back to the drawing board to launch my own label and design.
Price actually is an illusion. Sure, there are limits on what people generally pay for. But if its something that people desperately need, they'll pay for it.
If we are in a F*cking war and we needed guns, gunsmiths would make a killing, no matter how high the price.
There was a video where there was literally a girl 'manhandling' her parents or guardian to get her an IPhone....while she is a F*cking spoilt brat, that shows what people will do to get what they believe will make them happy.

Grant Cardone says something to the effect of 'Price too high? Good....sign right there.' He was sure of the value he would provide and it paid off. Make sure the product has higher relative value, or else

I'm not too keen on Kickstarter...it's public and someone with execution can steal your idea. If you haven't made enough sales yet, you could get killed.
24 Year Old Makes $345,000 in 2 Months..

With all that said, get TMF and UNSCRIPTED .
TMF is an eye-opener book that details the Fastlane strategy, including wealth equations of CUL. If you need a red pill, it is the book for you.
UNSCRIPTED is a holistic book connecting life and entrepreneurship. If the red pill still doesn't work, go get this. :)

If you were a newbie, I would suggest you get TMF, then UNSCRIPTED . But since you did something already, go order UNSCRIPTED ...it will touch TMF material and it is a stand-alone book on its own. Then come back and claim your badge.

Despite my busy schedule, I do my best to be here every day, mostly in the evening or at night. PM if you need to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...