The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from a welder turned tool supplier and business owner

DHOOTEN10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Oct 19, 2018
My name is Dustin. I'm 28, from Springfield Missouri, USA.

I unknowingly became an entrepreneur over the last 4-5 years. I originally did not view it that way, but have opened up doors for myself that i can now see could lead to great success. The big question is what door to choose.

I have worked in the oilfield as a welder for the last 10 years. For the last 5 I have acted as a sub contractor supplying the tools necessary for the work i performed. Having the tools for the job opened up side work. Side work became abundant. Workers/ helpers have been hired. And before i knew it i had a Business.
The next part of this story is about to be written, and that is why i am here

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My name is Dustin. I'm 28, from Springfield Missouri, USA.

I unknowingly became an entrepreneur over the last 4-5 years. I originally did not view it that way, but have opened up doors for myself that i can now see could lead to great success. The big question is what door to choose.

I have worked in the oilfield as a welder for the last 10 years. For the last 5 I have acted as a sub contractor supplying the tools necessary for the work i performed. Having the tools for the job opened up side work. Side work became abundant. Workers/ helpers have been hired. And before i knew it i had a Business.
The next part of this story is about to be written, and that is why i am here
Great story. Thanks for sharing, and welcome. What’s next? What are you stuck on or thinking about next?

EDIT: I changed your thread title to do you justice.

Last edited:

DHOOTEN10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Oct 19, 2018
Great story. Thanks for sharing, and welcome. What’s next? What are you stuck on or thinking about next?

What im stuck on is a decision.
I currently still do sub work for an oil company and spend 5 days a week out of town. Making roughly 4k before taxes. I take time off for big jobs back home that require my presence and not just my employees.

I have recently been offered a piece of land in a town near springfield. It is roughly 160ftx 1500ft.
1500ft is road frontage on a 35mph section through town that as of 2015 saw a trafic count of 13000 daily.
My initial thought was, Welding and fabrication shop!.( home with family every night)
But after seeing the potential in the property im questioning if a different type of commercial building (retail space for rent, apartment complex, ect) wouldnt bring in the same or more income than a fabricaton shop.

I am looking to find information and advice to help with my decision

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What im stuck on is a decision.
I currently still do sub work for an oil company and spend 5 days a week out of town. Making roughly 4k before taxes. I take time off for big jobs back home that require my presence and not just my employees.

I have recently been offered a piece of land in a town near springfield. It is roughly 160ftx 1500ft.
1500ft is road frontage on a 35mph section through town that as of 2015 saw a trafic count of 13000 daily.
My initial thought was, Welding and fabrication shop!.( home with family every night)
But after seeing the potential in the property im questioning if a different type of commercial building (retail space for rent, apartment complex, ect) wouldnt bring in the same or more income than a fabricaton shop.

I am looking to find information and advice to help with my decision
Gosh. Not my lane at all. Maybe some other members might drop in and help.

In the meantime, maybe check out SteveO’s threads as he’s a property guy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...