The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello FastlaneForum

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
Hello all!

My name is Matt and I was lucky enough to stumble upon a youtube interview between John Sonmez and Mr. DeMarco (@MJ DeMarco ) 4 or 5 days ago. I had been looking for this forum for over year and had not even known what to call it.

Last year I had begun a journey to become a financial adviser on top of my full time job. I was successful in acquiring all licenses from the state and even landed a client or two. I quickly realized that practices that are used for the clients are not the practices used by the advisers, and I quickly lost heart. I have been looking for the correct path to success ever since.

Hearing Mr. DeMarco's no BS book, "The Millionaires Fastlane" was exactly what I needed to get my fire again; for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful for my own future.

My background (below) is technical so I feel confident I can create some form of automated web based business. What I lack at the moment, is the business knowledge. I would be grateful for anyone to point me to the right resources to learn that information.

My current plan is to develop a personal blog and begin branching businesses off of that. The blog will be a journal (for a lack of a better word) of my journey to wealth and freedom. My hope is to document my various ideas, decisions, and projects during my journey, so that it may inspire another in the future. I would be happy to share once the blog is live if anyone was interested.

I look forward to picking your minds in the future and growing as a person in this forum. Thank you for your time and input in advance!

Background:
I have a degree in Computer Science and work as a full time project manager. I realize that holding a job is not ideal, and I hope to change that ASAP. I am 26 yrs old and currently live in CA. By most peoples standards I am doing pretty well for a 26 year old, but I hate that I am a slave to someone from the hours of 9-5 M-F.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Welcome aboard Matt!

There are several discussion going on at the moment regarding your field and expertise. I'm sure you can both get ideas and offer valuable advice and guidance here. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Hating slavery is a great start! Fight for your freedom as all good slaves should. I learned one lesson by watching Hogan's Heroes and that is that all prisoner's or wor(k) have an obligation and duty to do all they can to escape.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome.

There's a big thread about blogging somewhere in here. Started by @Vigilante I believe, and with insightful comments by @Yoda.

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have actually found a few of these threads already and they have been very thought provoking. I am so use to writing all of my code and architecture from scratch so I have some serious thinking to do on how much time I spend creating from scratch; and how much I start using templates.

I plan on giving back to the thread tomorrow by writing about a few technologies that I know of that some of the coders and website developers will hopefully find useful. Long story short, it will be a guide to set up your software architecture to allow for infinite scalability, with very little upkeep after setup. (as well as being able to control cost) Be on lookout :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have actually found a few of these threads already and they have been very thought provoking. I am so use to writing all of my code and architecture from scratch so I have some serious thinking to do on how much time I spend creating from scratch; and how much I start using templates.

I plan on giving back to the thread tomorrow by writing about a few technologies that I know of that some of the coders and website developers will hopefully find useful. Long story short, it will be a guide to set up your software architecture to allow for infinite scalability, with very little upkeep after setup. (as well as being able to control cost) Be on lookout :)
Just be aware of this:

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
I really like this. I guess I have been trying to get my mindset correct. I have been brainstorming ideas to help solve problems and help people but I have not found my idea yet. What should I focus on in the meantime? I want to actively help myself, but I don't want to waste time learning technology I will never use.

I ran across the Twitter API's and i was thinking of creating a small app to search for different key words to help identify trends. Now that I read this, I am questioning the creation. At the same time, I do not have another idea. What do you guys do to help brainstorm and identify the next steps?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well, your name kinda implies your mindset.

Read the 700+ PMs thread linked to in my signature?

And the radio interview?

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
Well, your name kinda implies your mindset.

Read the 700+ PMs thread linked to in my signature?

And the radio interview?

Read them both. You are totally right. I appreciate the time you took to point those threads out. Opened my eyes for sure. Time to stop sitting around wondering how I can improve myself and go out and help someone else. Cheers!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard Matt, nice to have you here.

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms

I would be interested in that! I know that there are "quicker", "easier" ways of building websites/apps, I want to learn how to do it from scratch. To know what the code is, how it works, and be able to scale with usage.

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms
Hello all!

My name is Matt and I was lucky enough to stumble upon a youtube interview between John Sonmez and Mr. DeMarco (@MJ DeMarco ) 4 or 5 days ago. I had been looking for this forum for over year and had not even known what to call it.

Last year I had begun a journey to become a financial adviser on top of my full time job. I was successful in acquiring all licenses from the state and even landed a client or two. I quickly realized that practices that are used for the clients are not the practices used by the advisers, and I quickly lost heart. I have been looking for the correct path to success ever since.

Hearing Mr. DeMarco's no BS book, "The Millionaires Fastlane" was exactly what I needed to get my fire again; for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful for my own future.

My background (below) is technical so I feel confident I can create some form of automated web based business. What I lack at the moment, is the business knowledge. I would be grateful for anyone to point me to the right resources to learn that information.

My current plan is to develop a personal blog and begin branching businesses off of that. The blog will be a journal (for a lack of a better word) of my journey to wealth and freedom. My hope is to document my various ideas, decisions, and projects during my journey, so that it may inspire another in the future. I would be happy to share once the blog is live if anyone was interested.

I look forward to picking your minds in the future and growing as a person in this forum. Thank you for your time and input in advance!

Background:
I have a degree in Computer Science and work as a full time project manager. I realize that holding a job is not ideal, and I hope to change that ASAP. I am 26 yrs old and currently live in CA. By most peoples standards I am doing pretty well for a 26 year old, but I hate that I am a slave to someone from the hours of 9-5 M-F.

How rude of me. Welcome to the forum Matt. Glad to see you here!!

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
I would be interested in that! I know that there are "quicker", "easier" ways of building websites/apps, I want to learn how to do it from scratch. To know what the code is, how it works, and be able to scale with usage.

My secret weapon when it comes to learning code is pluralsight.com. I cannot recommend it enough. It does come with a monthly cost, but the content is created by the industry leaders and will teach you the current standards. I'd be happy to get more specifics for you if you could tell me what you are wanting to do. All the best!

My weekend got a little askew so my post is not ready yet. I will follow up. I will also have much more detail and hopefully a guide after I find a need of the people to allow me to invest my time in that technology.

Cheers!
Matt

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms
My secret weapon when it comes to learning code is pluralsight.com. I cannot recommend it enough. It does come with a monthly cost, but the content is created by the industry leaders and will teach you the current standards. I'd be happy to get more specifics for you if you could tell me what you are wanting to do. All the best!

My weekend got a little askew so my post is not ready yet. I will follow up. I will also have much more detail and hopefully a guide after I find a need of the people to allow me to invest my time in that technology.

Cheers!
Matt

I'm actually working through a Udemy course from Colt Steele. It's his web development bootcamp. I've also completed the Udacity iOS Developer nano degree.

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms

Cheers!
Matt

Building a Streaming Interactive video game platform: Polestar.tv
I'm learning front end development now and MySQL database next. I've learned a lot in the past 3 years. I finally have a product/service that I can focus on. I believe the value will be worth it.

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
Building a Streaming Interactive video game platform: Polestar.tv
I'm learning front end development now and MySQL database next. I've learned a lot in the past 3 years. I finally have a product/service that I can focus on. I believe the value will be worth it.

Perfect. I think you will find a lot of value from my AWS post then. Really efficient ways to scale. Not to mention you can set up once and do very little work after to maintain. I am actively looking for my business. The few posts and feedback that I have received on these forums have already been of great value and I am trying to retrain my thinking process to see better opportunities. Easier said than done.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
You're welcome. What were your main takeaways?

Rabbit-hole here:
Hey Andy,

A lot. I currently am employed by a business where we do not use SEO words at all. Our business is to acquire customers, who have a set of vendors and brokers who do business with them. The acquired customers then drive the vendors and brokers to our sites which generates revenue. (From both the Vendors and the Customers) As a developer who knows nothing about AdWords, I find it refreshing that I can start to control traffic with skills that I already have, but never knew how to implement. I have only been able to read a little of your first and second posts in the rabbit hole, but I can tell I will learn a great deal from you. Thank you for the documentation. I will be sure to share what I create once I find my way to start helping people solve their problems.

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
@Andy Black Nice radio interview. I really enjoyed it. I plan on purchasing your course soon as I have a friend who recently acquired a business and needs a site and traction. I look forward to learning from you more.

Cheers!

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
In the spirit of doing and not discussing, I plan on making this short and sweet.

I awoke today with a business model in mind. I had been planning it all out in my head how I will start, acquire customers, etc. During one of my work breaks, a fellow employee approached me and had asked if I planned on developing one of my app ideas I had shared with her. I admit, I had not planned on creating it until she brought it up. Turns out, she also shared the idea with a large group of friends (car enthusiasts) and now I have 10 - 20 people I have never met or talked to anxiously awaiting my app to be published. Additionally, one of the people was going to discuss the app with one of her commanding officers at a military base to see if they could also make use of it at the base.

Long story short, I have never been this excited to plunge into the deep end with no bottom in site. I realize that my first business is likely to blow up in an amazing fashion; but I have never been more excited for fireworks in my whole life.

Will follow up with a link to the app.

Matt

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
Small Status update on this thread to prove that I and my will to be free are still very much alive.

Had worked on a few different ideas using a variety of tools and they all failed for a reason or another.
  • IPhone App: Created and published, but no market demand
  • Interactive Trainer Poker Website - Had all of the UI and base logic for card hands created from scratch, then ran across another company doing EXACTLY what my idea was (and it was under patent)

At this point, I am gun shy about jumping into bed to develop another technology product. I have reviewed a few different threads on E Commerce that sparked my interest and I am reading a few of the gold and notable threads on this site to see if it is something I could create value in. (Even used my Audible credit this month on an E Commerce audio book to listen to and from work). The main issue I have (like all people wanting to start in this area) is identifying a market/product that is not saturated to hell in the marketplace.

I am preparing for a move across the US in around 4 months, so I can't start any of the E Commerce ideas until I am back on the east coast. I believe I have worked a deal with my current employer to allow me to work for them in the AM, then work on my own projects in the PM once the move is completed, I will keep you all posted on that. (Got a little of my time back!!! Woot!)

A new favorite inspiration from a re-read of "The Millionaire Fastlane " - "Market Change Creates Millionaires". My eyes are open buddy.

Matt

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Welcome and best of luck to you.