The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Health Inspectors

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
My last venture didn't go as well as I planned, so im starting something new. This time im going to try, and validate the idea a little better beforehand. Im going to be working on a beef jerky company with my own little twist. The problem though is that it will have to be produced in a USDA inspected facility, and I dont have one of those or the money to private label a flavor that people may not like.

So I can try, and get friends and family to give me input, but I don't want a biased opinion.

My plan is to sell the homeade jerky at flea markets, and just prepare for a health inspector to show up, and fine me or make me get rid of my product. Has anyone had any experience with health inspectors or anything of this nature? It seems like the best way to validate my idea, and I may get away with a small fine or a slap on the wrist.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I'm sorry man, you said 'health inspector' I can't stop myself.

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
Not totally sure, but depending on how serious the health hazard is, they could stop you from opening a company in the food/drink/drugs sectors ever again. But I guess lemonade stands are allowed, why not beef jerky stands.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Not totally sure, but depending on how serious the health hazard is, they could stop you from opening a company in the food/drink/drugs sectors ever again. But I guess lemonade stands are allowed, why not beef jerky stands.

Well it is cured meat so its not cooked essentially. Im just trying to see if people like the product so I can get the recipe to a private labeller with the right facility.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
why not just rent a commissary (commercial kitchen) and do it properly from the get go?

Beef jerky requires a usda inspected facility, and quite a bit of equipment. Im just trying to validate the idea, and if it works then i may find a private labeler or get a facility.

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
Beef jerky requires a usda inspected facility, and quite a bit of equipment. Im just trying to validate the idea, and if it works then i may find a private labeler or get a facility.

Did you ever move forward with recipes and production?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.