The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have you ever been invested in stocks?

jins3714

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 6, 2019
South korea
I'm interested in stocks these days.
Do you think that stocks hinder the path of the Fastlane or are they helpful?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm interested in stocks these days.
Do you think that stocks hinder the path of the Fastlane or are they helpful?

The stock market is helpful as it puts money to work in a very liquid way. One click to buy. One click to sell.

I have never found a balanced portfolio advisor slowlane approach of much benefit. They diversify out all of the upside and the market swings down with the same ugly velocity because 2/3 of the market is dumb money deployed the same way as you. I have done a TON better with a simple stock picker approach.

Read the intellegent investor. Then have a really good reason for buying what you buy and selling what you sell. If it takes you a while to deploy your money, be patient.

There are going to be people that tell you to "sock it all into your Fastlane business bro" and those people usually have net worth less than $10k.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The stock market is helpful as it puts money to work in a very liquid way. One click to buy. One click to sell.

I have never found a balanced portfolio advisor slowlane approach of much benefit. They diversify out all of the upside and the market swings down with the same ugly velocity because 2/3 of the market is dumb money deployed the same way as you. I have done a TON better with a simple stock picker approach.

Read the intellegent investor. Then have a really good reason for buying what you buy and selling what you sell. If it takes you a while to deploy your money, be patient.

There are going to be people that tell you to "sock it all into your Fastlane business bro" and those people usually have net worth less than $10k.
Sorry, but what do you mean by a 'simple stock picker approach'?

Reading on your own and doing your own research?
That I would be inclined to do, as I am vary of portfolio advisers myself.

For myself, I'm still reading reports on companies, ever since my college investment unit sparked my interest...but I still feel queasy, even as the Recession thread started discussing the possibility of a stock market bubble.

As for having a really good reason to buy, I get lots of decent outlooks from Seeking Alpha, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was more to the info presented.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
My understanding is that the purpose of a business in the Fastlane idea is to create a paycheck pot. A business is a great way of scaling to getting a lot of cash, then you need to make that cash work for you.

With that said, the Fastlane is not an end goal, it's a process. So you should be building up your paycheck pot over time. As your business generates income, portion some of it into the paycheck pot.

The stock market is one place to put money in your paycheck pot. It's a great way of getting cash to work for you.

So yes, you can build up a stock portfolio as you're growing your business. It's not even "against Fastlane."

For instance, each week I automatically move some money from my bank account to my brokerage account. Then, when I find a stock that's worth buying, I'll use the excess money in my brokerage account. That way, I don't ever have to worry about creating a paycheck pot. It's been done automatically.

- I second reading the Intelligent Investor. Very dense and long, but great book. You could easily learn to invest from that one book for several years.

If someone more experienced here wants to correct me, I'm all ears.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sorry, but what do you mean by a 'simple stock picker approach'?

Reading on your own and doing your own research?
That I would be inclined to do, as I am vary of portfolio advisers myself.

For myself, I'm still reading reports on companies, ever since my college investment unit sparked my interest...but I still feel queasy, even as the Recession thread started discussing the possibility of a stock market bubble.

As for having a really good reason to buy, I get lots of decent outlooks from Seeking Alpha, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was more to the info presented.

I realize that why it may be "simple to me" the only thing simple about my investing is my portfolio itself. I have about 10 holdings. I generally hold long term.

I often also use "leaps" when I am more confident.

As I am more of an economic and leadership thinker, vs a chart analyst, I invest in what I understand best. I look at the macro trends in the industry. I look at the financial strength of the company relative to their stock price. I watch for intellegent decisions by CEO's and leadership that I find attractive and I generally avoid bureaucratic companies.

While my portfolio would look heavy on certain companies, and therefore "more risky," more often than not they beat the market as a whole. Over time you really can't expect to do a much better than that.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
You can invest in stocks. If you really believe in a company then it can do quite well. Been keeping my eye on a stock that's up 92% in a year...kinda nuts. But that's the beauty of good acquisitions and restructuring.

If you're really interested in stocks and businesses I'd suggest studying Warren Buffet a lot.

But generally speaking, stocks are more of a thing to put your money into after you've made a lot of money($10 mil+) than to make a lot of money with.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I realize that why it may be "simple to me" the only thing simple about my investing is my portfolio itself. I have about 10 holdings. I generally hold long term.

I often also use "leaps" when I am more confident.

As I am more of an economic and leadership thinker, vs a chart analyst, I invest in what I understand best. I look at the macro trends in the industry. I look at the financial strength of the company relative to their stock price. I watch for intellegent decisions by CEO's and leadership that I find attractive and I generally avoid bureaucratic companies.

While my portfolio would look heavy on certain companies, and therefore "more risky," more often than not they beat the market as a whole. Over time you really can't expect to do a much better than that.
Thanks for the clarification!

Yup, I've been reading up on some Seeking Alpha writers, where they also had about 10 stocks in their portfolios. I was a bit worried at first whether they over-invested in them lol.

Quite a number of them also include in their reports analysis of the in-company decisions.

For charts- they mostly use to compare against S&P benchmark, look back at historic events, or forecast (which, knowing what I know now from my Forecasting unit in college...it can be a load of shit, especially when we rely a LOT on historic data that may not reflect today's decisions accurately)

Looks like my readings are on the right track.

I should look more at the Malaysian markets as well, but I haven't found good finance newsletters or readings on them. I don't like the general newspaper inserts...their reports are too general, and definitely 2/3 of folks will rely on them.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks for the clarification!

Yup, I've been reading up on some Seeking Alpha writers, where they also had about 10 stocks in their portfolios. I was a bit worried at first whether they over-invested in them lol.

Quite a number of them also include in their reports analysis of the in-company decisions.

For charts- they mostly use to compare against S&P benchmark, look back at historic events, or forecast (which, knowing what I know now from my Forecasting unit in college...it can be a load of shit, especially when we rely a LOT on historic data that may not reflect today's decisions accurately)

Looks like my readings are on the right track.

I should look more at the Malaysian markets as well, but I haven't found good finance newsletters or readings on them. I don't like the general newspaper inserts...their reports are too general, and definitely 2/3 of folks will rely on them.
A recent post from Seeking Alpha that's surprisingly relevant.

TLDR:
- Stock indexes can be heavily disadvantaged, due to carrying less-performing companies (E.g. retail companies facing disruption).
Might be good to consider gaps in the stock index.

-Author of article started out with a portfolio of 30 stocks, but whittled them down eventually to around 16.

-He did get higher returns than S&P, but it was somewhat a full-day job studying the companies, their decisions and basically, research and due diligence.

And he had to go through some harsh volatility periods....risk....probably had to struggle with the desire to sell out of fear lol.

One commentator in the Comments section seems to be asking for Sharpe ratio calculations
(the ratio for ROI compared to the risk).
But how could the author fixate on a formal metric of risk...that's the lingering question on my mind?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Most of the time when stocks are mentioned, its always kind of abstract and there is talk about portoflio and investors and stuff like that. While I sort of understand that part, how do you actually buy stocks???

Where do you buy the from?
Does the company actually have you registered somewhere as a stockholder?
How is the divident paid? Do you provide someone with an IBAN or?
Can you buy real stocks? As in paper stocks or is it all just digital?

Also, what about bonds? What are they for? Where to buy them, how do they work?

I have simple questions but I`ve yet to find someone who can help me with the answers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.