The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have Smartphones Destroyed Humanity?

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
I think I was on facebook for a month or so before I got rid of my account. I found it amusing how everyone had a "tabloid-esque" page dedicated to themselves. Talk about needing external validation for a feeling of self worth.

Isn't that what this all comes down to though? We all want to feel loved and needed. The Internet gives us that quick hit of dopamine that we crave, but it doesn't provide those deep connections that we're really seeking.

Like so many things in life people generally tend to follow the path of least resistance. People would rather go on a fad diet than to eat right and work out, they'd rather pose as an expert and become an "influencer" instead of putting in the 10,000 hours to gain mastery in a skill and they'd rather spend their time on social media then to sit down with real people in their lives to cultivate real relationships.

Look at the increasing obesity rates in the western world and then look at increase of use of antidepressants. We're living in the age of self inflicted disease - both of the body and the mind.

Sigh... :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
This is absolutely amazing, and indeed true. I remembered reading an article somewhere, in which Steve Jobs mentioned that he did not allow his children to own iPads and lots of the other products created by his company, same for some of his executive management - smart move.

While I will agree that smartphones facilitate us well in our day-to-day activities, it is important to create some type of self-control where necessary.

The thing is self-control is a personal decision an individual must make to take charge of a situation, and the "forces that be" enjoy the fact that many of us are so carried away with this mobile aspect of life, it is a grand opportunity they use to control masses; far too many of us already believe every single word our governments tell us - after all, 'governments don't hurt people;' so, whatever is the craze today on smartphones, it is the ideal arena to keep minds preoccupied, while many of us are shielded from the harsh realities of the world.

We live in a time where validation is required from all corners of the globe, and the more sucked in we become by it, the further away from reality we go; and the further from reality we go, the better for the "forces that be" - I don't believe it's a coincidence that smartphones have taken over our lives, I believe it became a necessity to keep the masses blindly occupied.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
We went on a Grand Canyon Whitewater trip recently. Those three days without access to the "outside" world were bliss. I thought it'd drive me crazy not having that access.

I was going to tell Greg the same thing. There's a reason I like to go on vacations where there is no internet for an entire week. Try camping for 2-3 days in a row in some remote area maybe 1-2 times a year.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
EVERYONE IN THE WAITING ROOM HAD THEIR HEADS DOWN SWIPING AND TAPPING INTO THEIR SMART PHONE.

NO ONE LOOKED UP, NOR AT ONE ANOTHER.

But even before smartphones nobody ever looked at each other in a waiting room. The other day, I picked up a Sports Illustrated in a waiting room and thought, this is what I used to do when waiting for the doctor for 30 minutes.

I don't know about this study. I used to ride the Metra train to work for 1 hour each way. I do remember meeting a couple people on the train that I saw everyday. But most rides were just me with a magazine or MP3 player or just me sleeping. I don't think people interact in general in enclosed spaces. Do you think that people on buses or subways actually stood and talked to each other in the 90's? We just stared into space instead.

I do remember one ride on the Metra where I got American Pie on my laptop. Me and a co-worker started watching it during the ride home and we ended up with a small crowd behind us. That was the only time I remember interacting with people on my way home from work.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
But even before smartphones nobody ever looked at each other in a waiting room. The other day, I picked up a Sports Illustrated in a waiting room and thought, this is what I used to do when waiting for the doctor for 30 minutes.

I don't know about this study. I used to ride the Metra train to work for 1 hour each way. I do remember meeting a couple people on the train that I saw everyday. But most rides were just me with a magazine or MP3 player or just me sleeping. I don't think people interact in general in enclosed spaces. Do you think that people on buses or subways actually stood and talked to each other in the 90's? We just stared into space instead.

I do remember one ride on the Metra where I got American Pie on my laptop. Me and a co-worker started watching it during the ride home and we ended up with a small crowd behind us. That was the only time I remember interacting with people on my way home from work.

I think the issue isn't whether or not people talked to each other while traveling/waiting/etc before smart phones were around. The issue is that people are replacing real social interaction with fake internet interaction.

Reading a newspaper/magazine on a train without talking to others is different than choosing to talk to others through text instead of face to face.

The man who read the paper on the train still has to go out and talk to real people later to get his social fix for the day. The twitter DM'er got his social fix for the day during the train ride and doesn't need face to face communication afterwards.

The reader becomes more educated/imaginative and socially skilled. The DM'er learns nothing and loses social skills.

Last edited:

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
I'm firmly in the camp of keeping my kids away from screens as much as possible. I've got two girls under three and they barely know there's such a thing as a computer.

I was a teenager during the original 'net boom back in the 90s and, as much as it was (still is) a boon to have all that information ready to hand, it also developed some unhealthy habits that I still struggle with to this day. That's with a physical desktop that you can at least walk away from. Now you can take the thing everywhere -- I don't really envy kids growing up with that in their lives.

I don't know about the scientific evidence for any of the doom-saying about smart phones, but I can repeat the sentiment echoed here. I use public transport routinely and it's rare to see people not plugged into a phone. Not that they'd be chatting it up otherwise, no, but it's more the point that they can't stay away from the news feed. Even setting aside the question of whether constant immersion in internet drama is legitimately harmful, is that any way to live? (Asked rhetorically, but for me the answer is "no", and probably is for anyone on this forum.)

There's also a lot to be said about prudence in the face of novelty. When you introduce a new species to an ecosystem, it may do nothing at all, or it may destroy a balance that developed over a very long time. Maybe writing and radio and TV didn't do us in, but we're in a space that's wide-open for black swan events. There's also the point that these technologies aren't binary on/off events, but a continuum of increasingly refined ways to intrude into the private sphere.

I don't know about all the apocalypse predictions. I just know I'm happier and more productive the less time I spend at a screen. I closed all my social media several years ago and try to spend as much time as I can with my family. Things seem better that way. Your mileage may vary.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Great article... bit of a long read, but good.

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

c42ed8709.jpg
I find articles like this to be HORSESHIT btw I very rarely swear. Understand that NONE of the data this so called "researcher" quoting is actually backed up by any real data. There is no real study quoted. There is not real sample stated. ZERO Scientific data. Even the graphs are lacking any real data! How many people where sampled? Where did they live? Seriously there is no hard data anywhere in this article but hey facts, numbers, scientific process, statistics based on fact, sample size, who needs that? I will draw squiggly lines on a graph that support what I want to say but are supported by nothing but what I say and most people will think hmm.... interesting CLICK share on Facebook goes viral and I keep my job. Rinse and repeat. Seriously if someone gave you data like this on a business investment and asked to put money on the table you would be INSANE to do it. Caveat emptor

Justin1999111710

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Mar 3, 2015
Long Island New York
I make 100% of my income via my smartphone the restaurant delivery service I work for send me my orders on my phone I also use market research apps that pay to take pictures of products and displays at retailers. If a smartphone is used correctly it can be a valuable tool. If it's used to take pictures every meal you eat the an it's a problem

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

I think the difference is you can't become literally addicted to Sports Illustrated like you can the constant small dopamine hits from social media/tech. (Edit: wrong link haha, I'll find the right one. Edit #2: Fixed.)

Same with the picture up-thread of everyone on the subway reading a newspaper. Once the paper was read, it's done.

You don't pick up a magazine or newspaper every 2 minutes to see if something changed or someone texted you or whatever.

Last edited:

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
I work in a cell phone store currently (not a fastlane I know) and it saddens me to see how many parents decide the best way to parent their kids is by handing them an iPad and ignoring them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
From what I see it's not smartphones per se that are destroying a generation, but how a generation is using them. Just imagine how much good smartphones could do if used properly - a generation has all the knowledge and wisdom accessible 24/7, but is too blind to see it and too death to hear it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the difference is you can't become literally addicted to Sports Illustrated like you can the constant small dopamine hits from social media/tech. (Edit: wrong link haha, I'll find the right one. Edit #2: Fixed.)

Same with the picture up-thread of everyone on the subway reading a newspaper. Once the paper was read, it's done.

You don't pick up a magazine or newspaper every 2 minutes to see if something changed or someone texted you or whatever.

Bingo.

We're talking about two different chemical reactions in the brain.

Not to mention that an iPad/iGadget has replaced the quantity of parenting. A

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The depression and suicide part surprises me.
I theorize it might be because teens(and adults) have literally become stupid.
No knowledge and curiosity about the world would make anyone question their life.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
constant small dopamine hits from social media/tech.

Yeah, smartphones would be perfect if they weren't perfectly and expertly designed to be one of the most addictive things most people interact with.

It was one thing back when blackberries allowed folks to check email on the go - it was a "stop everything, I need to check this" annoyance but not the biggest deal. But now with social media, apps, games, aggregate news sites, videos, etc... literally EVERY piece of downtime is screen time. Even when other people are in front of you!

Playing a game and it's not your turn? Phone.
Talking and you aren't really that interested? Phone.
Beep or ding of any kind? Phone.
Someone else is on their phone and you realize you could be too? Phone.
Taking a piss and figure you have 30 seconds? Phone.
Walking in public? Phone. And bumping into people but who cares because phone.

Humans have effectively killed downtime with smartphones and I think it's generally pretty terrible.

As a tool it's fantastic but as an addiction it's one of the worst things to come around in a long, long while.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
I caused myself anxiety and panic attacks by causing my life to get better.

Intriuging headline? Let me explain..

A year or two ago I decided to quit social media completely. I sold my iPhone 5, and bought an Alcatel that you can't even play Snake on in 2d black and white. I deleted FB, instagram, twitter etc. As a result, almost instantly, I lost all my friends - they actually thought by deleting their existence from my life online, I was getting rid of them from my life. They all shunned me, even though I explained I was just deleting FB.
For the first week or two it was hard. Muscle memory almost makes you type "fa" into mozilla and go on facebook.

After this I got bored so spent my free time outside, walking, at the beach etc. And work got more productive.

I would say for a life decision it was one of the best.

I was forced to go back on FB recently, both for access to FB Power Editor and for a friendship/acquaintance I have with the local dog walking group. And now it makes me anxious. I cannot stand to have FB friends. I hate that kind of openness, that transparancy, that lack of privacy in my life. I co ordinate with the main guy of the dog walking club, I have him as an FB friend, people keep adding me, even hot looking women (I am single) and I click decline to all. I get panic attacks when people message me. It is crazy. But people think if you have 1 friend you are a loser... or if you don't post up what you ate for tea, what car you drive, what watch you wear.... the list goes on.

I am so glad and appreciative to have been at school between the 90's and early 2000's, when there was no FB, no camera phones. I really feel sorry for the iPhone generation.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Then they weren't friends, just illusions.
Yes, and they never understood me actually. Always heard "why don't you work for *insert company here* or something?" they never understood why I would even want to work for myself.

I moved since then, 400 miles. Hard to find new friends in a new place. I don't want slowlane friends. Thinking of joining Rotary but their members seem to be 50+. I am 30.

TheRegalMachine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 27, 2017
Moon Base
Sometimes I feel like it's a "blame the item/activity/whatever" scapegoat mentality in play when I see articles and studies like this.
In the end you're piling resposibility on an inanimate object instead of the underlying issue.
Just a few decades ago it was video games, then TV, or music, or comic books.
Until the people closest to children get their shit together it's just another finger point after the other.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Worst is when you go to cafes and the mum and dad are sitting there chatting to the mothers mother, and all 3 kids aged 3-0 are there on tablets. The whole time I was at a cafe today, for about 45mins, I didn't observe the parents even acknowledge any of their children.

Then you see them in the back of cars on tablets again.

It's like...do people even bring their kids up these days or just give them an ipad age 1 and let them grow up on their own??

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
A long read but interesting article on some of the people who initially created and are now disconnecting from these addictive technologies in the race for our attention.

'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia
  • “Each time you’re swiping down, it’s like a slot machine,” Harris says. “You don’t know what’s coming next. Sometimes it’s a beautiful photo. Sometimes it’s just an ad.”

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
anyone got an app idea that helps people stop using social media? lol

Pilot35

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
502%
Sep 2, 2016
When smartphones first became popular, I remember my parents calling today's generation "the generation of idiots". Today, I see the both of them glued to their phones scrolling down their FB newsfeed in the living room all day.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007