The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Have Smartphones Destroyed A Generation?

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
@ChrisV Seems like the issue there is people comparing themselves to others. That always leads to misery. Social media just makes it 10000% easier. One should only compare their current self to their previously selves. Never to others.
It does. But Social Media takes that problem and puts it on steroids. We see a sharp rise in depression since 2010, when the iPhone gained traction.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Absolutely, and that depression is caused first and foremost by mindset, not the tool!

Garret S.

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 16, 2019
Philippines
My wife recently was being sad because she just saw the posts
of her friends on fb going to the beach and having their vacation,
while she is staying at home doing her master's manuscript.

I sent her a link of this article
"Finally, a cure for social media addiction"

Upon reading it she felt better and made a decision to unfollow all her friends and to stop using facebook regularly.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2017
London
It seems to be the all so common problem of abundance.

Most things in excess are terrible for you. Drugs, food, alcohol, sex etc.
Phones and the Internet are no different.

The issue is that teenagers and children haven't developed the self control to deal with such an addictive and socially acceptable thing like the smartphone.

The responsibility does really come down to the parents, not the government or the corporations as many would want you to believe.

Lex Love

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 21, 2019
Smart phones are a dramatic technology jump. Like all the technological jumps that preceded it, in it's early stages it has been misused and misunderstood . And we are still very much in the early stages. Most new technologies throughout history have had growing pains, folks inevitably fearing their effects on the family, community, country, world, then followed by a time of adjustment, education, and better use.

The written word, agriculture, the printing press, industrial revolution, electricity, telephones, and on and on. All of these major advancements (I'm assuming everyone here appreciates these innovations and would in fact consider them "advancements") came with initial issues, society relearning how to operate with their arrival, and eventual adjustments making them the great tools they are today.

Smart phones are phenomenal. History will look back on their invention as yet another great innovation that profoundly changed how we operate as people and the benefits and growth they ushered in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom