The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have an Idea, opinions?

Idea threads

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
After reading the book, I came back on something that I created to fit my own need.

IKEA sold a table designed to go completely over beds, custom fit to match IKEA's beds. The problem was people wanted to buy the table for their own beds at home, but these tables were fit to only IKEA's small sized beds (height wise). This item was eventually discontinued. I was looking for this table to set my lap top on to do work at home in bed (small room) and realized I'd have to make the table myself. I created a better version, one that is adjustable height wise and fits the width of my bed. Here comes the business idea... After reading the book, I remember reading all the comments about how people were trying to make their own version of the table, but nobody was selling an adjustable version. Why not sell an adjustable version to consumers/wholesalers.

-Only would need 4 sizes, for each type of bed (twin, full, queen, king). It has the advantage of having more space on the table over typical laptop trays or half tables. A lot more accessories could come later to make life easier when working in bed/being on bed rest to help build a brand, but that would come after establishing a market.

Some worries: I'm almost positive you can't patent this idea in its current stage. Also, why wouldn't IKEA just make the bed adjustable instead of discontinuing it? Is there really a big enough need for this product to have profitability(by this I mean how can I figure that out)?

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Good idea but bad business. You cant make a business out of this imo.

Your going to have a lot of trouble to getting it made at an affordable price to resell, if ikea discontinued it it's because they wanted space to sell things that made them more money.

lucasmello

Business Bear Means Business
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jun 25, 2014
I think it is an idea.

You have to see why it might work.

1. Go see if people WANT this product.
2. Then go see how much you can make it for
3. Then see how much you can sell it for

Do the math and see if it makes you a profit, and if it is enough to do it(if you make $2 per table, totally not worth it)

PS: This sounds all simple and all, but you should use spreadsheets for this to make the calculations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.