The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have an idea for a Dating website

Idea threads

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
I have had an idea for a dating website for a specific niche for a while. I won't disclose that niche for obvious reasons, but I'm having a hard time knowing where to start.

I know nothing about web design, and I don't feel that I would have the patience to learn it. A dating website seems quite complicated, since there are so many anylitics and parameters involved.

I have done some reading on the topic, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Any ideas on whether I should just hire someone to design the website, and if the cost would be worth it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Check out Ashley Madison, I think they are after releasing their code ;).

Jokes aside I would hire someone with experience in the area. You will need lots of time to work on the others areas required for a successful product. Just list what your spec requirements (screenshot or link to similar sites) are, wait for responses and then go through past work to see who looks most suitable. Some programmers will have plenty of excellent experience since it is a semi popular niche.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
It's a VERY crowded space and hard to get momentum for membership. Dating sites are always a bit of a catch 22 situation, you need to get people on the site to make matches, but people won't join and stay on a site if they don't see many/interesting people on the site. Also it's very easy for incumbents to look at your idea, steal it, and crush you with their existing membership pool to their existing companion sites.

I had a new spin on a dating website too and tried to get something going. For me, it was a long road and in the end didn't amount to much...but your situation may be different.

My suggestion: Before you even 'think' about spending money to develop a full blown website, create a landing page and see how much interest/traffic you can get for your concept. Really sell the way you're going to be different, get sign ups and see if your concept has any legs with your target audience. Spend some money to drive some Facebook/Google traffic your way and see what kind of engagement you can get from that. Only a small fraction of those trafficking your site will actually convert when you're up and running so keep that in mind when you're looking at your landing page numbers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I suggest learning how to make $100 first. You can worry about starting a $100M dating website after.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just to call it like it is...

-A women will use/share a dating site that gets her lots of attention, validation and options with high value guys
-A man will use/share a site that gets him laid or at least makes him think he has a chance

Once you can get hot girls on your app and keep them joining up everything else will take care of itself. Just like a nightclub.
Tinder did this by getting sorority girls to join first, then comes the 'high value' guys, then comes everyone else. That is how you cross the chasm of online dating.

In short: if you have some reason for either high quality girls or a high quantity of girls (or both) to join you have a business. If you can't then no matter how good the site/app it will fail.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I have had an idea for a dating website for a specific niche for a while. I won't disclose that niche for obvious reasons, but I'm having a hard time knowing where to start.

I know nothing about web design, and I don't feel that I would have the patience to learn it. A dating website seems quite complicated, since there are so many anylitics and parameters involved.

I have done some reading on the topic, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Any ideas on whether I should just hire someone to design the website, and if the cost would be worth it?

You've been honest with yourself. According to you, the path towards web design has no heart. To follow it would be suicide. The behavior is analogous to "I'd love to build a 2-story house, but I don't know how to hammer two pieces of wood together". I'm not saying it can't be done. But someone won't go to extraordinary lengths unless his life depended on it. MJ is successful because it was either go broke in Arizona or go the other way (not go broke). Because of his momentum, he steered past the steady slowlane into the fastlane, where you're constantly accelerating to achieve greater heights.

OP, what are you sincerely interested in?

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Look for dating website templates or hire someone off elance to code it.

Best of luck!

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
This market is insanely difficult.

If you jump in ... be prepared to invest years ... several years ... just to break your first dollar.

Assuming that is ... you ever turn a profit.

The failure rate for new sites is off the charts.

Designing the site ... is just the beginning.

Tip of the iceberg.

How you market the site ... is far more important.

And you had better have one hell of an amazing USP.

Cause without it ... you are toast.

You can't do what the big sites are doing ... and expect to succeed.

That space is already taken. Those needs are already being met.

You need to blaze new ground. Do innovative things no one else has ever done before.

And do some other things ... no one else dares to do.

I'm telling you ... it is brutal.

You've got to have a real high pain tolerance.

If I were just starting out ... I'd do something else.

Last edited:

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I know nothing about web design, and I don't feel that I would have the patience to learn it.

WordPress. There are thousands of high quality tutorials on making business and dating websites, blogs and forums.

You can't do what the big sites are doing ... and expect to succeed.

I agree 100% with this. On the other side, if you have something that others don't, go for it. When Tinder came out, there were already tons of dating websites and services.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I want a dating app that recommends similar products and has a rating system like Amazon...

Great girl, lots of fun. Didn't offer to split the bill though and was on her phone when I was telling a story.
3.5/5

People who dated Sarah also dated Chrissy and Michelle. Date all three tomorrow if you message within 37 minutes.

Tip Toe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 9, 2015
UK
I want a dating app that recommends similar products and has a rating system like Amazon...

Great girl, lots of fun. Didn't offer to split the bill though and was on her phone when I was telling a story.
3.5/5

People who dated Sarah also dated Chrissy and Michelle. Date all three tomorrow if you message within 37 minutes.

Are going to start involving affiliate marketing and importing into this?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.