The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Hardcore Saver and Slowlaner Finds Two Amazing Books

JoshPrime

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 1, 2018
Hi everyone! I’m incredibly thankful I’ve found MJ’s work at such a young age. This is going to be a really long introduction, and I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it. I have to admit, it made me really happy to read “this is a close knit community free from the SCRIPTED gulag of cultural mediocrity. Please tell us your story. The more the better.” I’ll begin with a little background info about myself.

I have been employed since 16 years old. My parents forced me to start working in high school, and I am thankful for that. Throughout high school and college, I saved nearly 100% of my income. I am thankful that I had parents who taught me just how important it is to save money. I thought I was doing everything right in life. I focused on working, and getting good grades in high school. I thought for a long time the college degree was the pathway to success. My parents told me all the time about how the guys with the college degrees got their own offices, and bossed all the employees around.

“Wow! I would think to myself. I’m going to be a big shot someday.”

OH the irony! I went to college for 4 years and got an engineering degree last May, graduating with honors (dodged the biggest bullet of my life with no debt, due to scholarships etc). For almost one year now, I have been working as an engineer. This time with a big salary, I did the same thing: saving almost 100% of my income. I was putting a lot in the 401k. I got a euphoric high seeing my savings account get bigger each month.

I will admit, I’ve developed an obsession over money and it is very unhealthy. I would refuse to run the air/heat when commuting to work because it saves fuel economy. Never went out to lunch. Never bought a new pair of gym shoes even though the ones I have are filled with holes. I delayed getting a smartphone for a long time. Although I could live for a long time without a job due to my savings, it will not lead to the abundant retirement I pictured. MJ’s books really opened my eyes.

I first found MJ Demarco’s work watching an interview he did with John Sonmez about financial freedom:
View: https://youtu.be/XZ6bC10IuFM

I was instantly hooked. It was scary how truthful these books are. I realized I was quickly on my way to the sidewalk. I thought I was done learning after I got my college degree. I got involved in hyperreality. I wasn’t valuing my time, willing to deal with a horrible commute to save a buck. I plan on moving out of my parents place and finding an apartment next to my job. I want to save time. Perhaps the most incredible statement I have ever read from UNSCRIPTED:

“The average lifespan consists of 2.3 billion seconds. The average currency value traded per HOUR is $220 billion, nearly 11,000% more. Time is scarce, money is not.”

I want to work hard in a system that honors time. I’ve seen my father work himself into the grave in this bullshit system. He’s nearing “retirement age,” and although he’s doing great, it’s not going to be a glamorous retirement. Health problems are looming. He did everything right. Drove crappy cars, avoided going out to eat as much as possible, and paid off the mortgage early. Besides stuff like that, he made some of the most ridiculous sacrifices to save a buck that would make your jaw drop.

I want to start a family the right way. Another one of my favorites from UNSCRIPTED:

“Marriage and children could be the most important part of your human experience. It’s worth waiting until you’ve discovered your true self, where you can give your spouse and kids everything you’ve got, not just a kiss on the cheek and a weekend.”

YES! It warms my heart knowing this is possible. All I see is ridiculous stress from people in double income scripted families.

What speaks to my heart even more is MJ’s discussion on having domain experience. I have a TON of domain experience in my old job (which I held for years). I’m thinking really hard about what could have been done better.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Welcome Josh, appreciate the intro. Sounds like you were truly a HARDCORE Slowlaner!! Not running the AC to save gas?? Wow!

Nonetheless, based on the discipline you demonstrated in your Slowlane pursuit, guess what? You've got the raw materials to Unscript. Be happy! It all starts with a mindset and grows from there.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
Very powerful intro Josh, I look forward to conversations with you!

I have a TON of domain experience in my old job (which I held for years). I’m thinking really hard about what could have been done better.
Do you enjoy engineering?

I think you've done a really thorough analysis of what you did and why, based on the information you had available. Some people have a lot to ponder to change their ways, but I don't see that for you. You found MJ's work and immediately decided it's for you. My hunch is that for you, there's not much more you would learn from further analyzing the past. Instead, take that passion and the new things you're learning, and make great choices going forward.

OP
OP
J

JoshPrime

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 1, 2018
Very powerful intro Josh, I look forward to conversations with you!

Do you enjoy engineering?

I think you've done a really thorough analysis of what you did and why, based on the information you had available. Some people have a lot to ponder to change their ways, but I don't see that for you. You found MJ's work and immediately decided it's for you. My hunch is that for you, there's not much more you would learn from further analyzing the past. Instead, take that passion and the new things you're learning, and make great choices going forward.
I am enjoying engineering so far. Ironically, I have an excellent boss and work with great people.

I totally agree with you. Right away I knew this is the path that I want to take. I've already worked so hard in a system that forces you to give up a lot of time. It only makes sense to put my head down and keep working hard in a better system.

Thank you for the welcome!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshPrime

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 1, 2018
Welcome Josh, appreciate the intro. Sounds like you were truly a HARDCORE Slowlaner!! Not running the AC to save gas?? Wow!

Nonetheless, based on the discipline you demonstrated in your Slowlane pursuit, guess what? You've got the raw materials to Unscript. Be happy! It all starts with a mindset and grows from there.
I know right? It was awful because I would actually do this on hot summer days with no air or rolling the windows down (windows down lowers fuel economy). I would literally start sweating bullets while driving.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
I know right? It was awful because I would actually do this on hot summer days with no air or rolling the windows down (windows down lowers fuel economy). I would literally start sweating bullets while driving.
Let's see if you can apply MJ's Fastlane principles to get rich enough to drive to Phoenix... with the air conditioning on the whole way! :happy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom