The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guys I Need Your Help, This is it

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

bettereveryday

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jun 16, 2017
Metropolitan Area
I am going to start a residential cleaning business.

My goal is to make $10,000 a month of net profit after taxes and have the business be automated and self sustaining. I don't care for making more, and I will not accept anything less.

$10,000 a month will give me enough income to be free and then be able to use that money for all the other things I wanna do in life. I just want the luxury of being able to self-govern what I get to do with my time.

I don't care if I fail. Actually I do care, I'm deathly afraid, and its been a while since I faced the sting of rejection so the fear is lurking deep within the pits of my stomach and chest. But I don't care that I do care, if that makes sense.

So, my questions are;

1. What are some practical ways of changing my subconscious beliefs and my self image?

I have anxiety when it comes to networking and putting myself out there. In order to combat this I am going to start going to toastmaster meetings and start cold approaching girls once a week.

2. How do I hire workers, or cleaners, when I don't have any clients?

I don't want to get clients and not have any employees to do the job lol. But how do I effectively get employees before I get clients?

3. Based on my situation, does anyone have any jobs that they could recommend?

I love reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
You got it in the wrong order.

1. Find your first cliënt

2. Get more cliënts.

3. Get so busy, that you need to hire employees.

Yes, you have to do the work. Nothing comes easily.

And you might want to check your motivation. Because starting a business to make $10K is not a lasting motivation.

Start a business because of need. Is there a need for a cleaning business?

Check that out first.

How?

By finding your first cliënt.

Then find the pain points most clliënts have, and solve them.

bettereveryday

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jun 16, 2017
Metropolitan Area
You got it in the wrong order.

1. Find your first cliënt

2. Get more cliënts.

3. Get so busy, that you need to hire employees.

Yes, you have to do the work. Nothing comes easily.

And you might want to check your motivation. Because starting a business to make $10K is not a lasting motivation.

Start a business because of need. Is there a need for a cleaning business?

Check that out first.

How?

By finding your first cliënt.

Then find the pain points most clliënts have, and solve them.

Brother, I don't care about the money, I care about what the money will do for me and my family.

That's besides the point though

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
Brother, I don't care about the money, I care about what the money will do for me and my family.

That's besides the point though

I think his point is the market doesn't care about your motivations (whether it's money or family).

Do residents in your area want cleaning services and can you meet their needs better than any competitors?

I'd start by reading MJ's book(s) if you haven't already.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Man, I wish it were as easy as approaching some girls, hiring some workers, and finding some friends to recommend jobs. If you find it to be that easy I'll be asking you for advice.

I've been in the process of starting a business for two months. I'm still working my day job. The farther you get, the more you realize needs to be done. You have all the advice you need to find your answers. Go out and find out if anyone will pay you to clean their house. If you can find more houses to clean than you can handle on your own, hire someone to help you. 10k profit is only a couple hundred houses/month away! Godspeed!

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
Go out and find out if anyone will pay you to clean their house

The clientele is definitely out there you just have to grab them and maintain them. Then setting yourself apart from the competition plays a role

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Aug 2, 2013

My goal is to make $10,000 a month of net profit after taxes and have the business be automated and self sustaining. I don't care for making more, and I will not accept anything less.

$10,000 a month will give me enough income to be free and then be able to use that money for all the other things I wanna do in life. I just want the luxury of being able to self-govern what I get to do with my time.

I don't care if I fail. Actually I do care, I'm deathly afraid, and its been a while since I faced the sting of rejection so the fear is lurking deep within the pits of my stomach and chest. But I don't care that I do care, if that makes sense.

So, my questions are;

1. What are some practical ways of changing my subconscious beliefs and my self image?

I have anxiety when it comes to networking and putting myself out there. In order to combat this I am going to start going to toastmaster meetings and start cold approaching girls once a week.

I don't want to get clients and not have any employees to do the job lol. But how do I effectively get employees before I get clients?

I love reading.

Where I see this business failing is that it's so focused on how YOU will benefit.

I understand that ultimately that's the most important thing to you when starting a business--obviously you need to make a profit.

But this is attitude is going to do you wrong in most cases. For example you want to work on networking. The people who really kill it at networking are the people who legit care about what they can do for OTHERS. For example, they're the people who are matchmaking peoples problems with solutions or people who can solve the problems. If you're just there promoting yourself with the idea of "what can these people do for me" you might as well just stay at home.

I love the tenacity you have in this post and the commitment, but you're going at it the wrong way..

bettereveryday

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jun 16, 2017
Metropolitan Area
I'll admit it, I'm completely governed and motivated by my self interests.

But I also understand that it goes both ways, I MUST provide value and do what I can to make the lives of other people better. I completely understand that and that's what I'm striving for.

I'm not out JUST trying to make money.

I'm out here trying to give people everything I have to make their lives better, which in turn will give me the freedom I believe we all crave.

bettereveryday

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jun 16, 2017
Metropolitan Area
Man, I wish it were as easy as approaching some girls, hiring some workers, and finding some friends to recommend jobs. If you find it to be that easy I'll be asking you for advice.

I've been in the process of starting a business for two months. I'm still working my day job. The farther you get, the more you realize needs to be done. You have all the advice you need to find your answers. Go out and find out if anyone will pay you to clean their house. If you can find more houses to clean than you can handle on your own, hire someone to help you. 10k profit is only a couple hundred houses/month away! Godspeed!

Thank you and good luck

At the end of the day, all we can do is give something everything we have within us. The result will take care of itself.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
Thank you and good luck

At the end of the day, all we can do is give something everything we have within us. The result will take care of itself.
How is the progress going.,?
Did you find your first customer..

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,184%
Jun 8, 2010
California
There are 3 core things that you need to nail here.

1. Niche selection.

You said you want to start a residential cleaning biz. What exactly does that entail? Window cleaning? Carpet cleaning, general cleaning i.e. toilets, showers, mopping floors, etc? High end rugs only? Furniture only? Draperies?

I can tell you from experience that niche selection is absolutely critical. I bought a janitorial biz years ago and immediately trashed it after realizing that people view janitorial at the bottom end of the totem pole whereas for other niches like carpet cleaning they're more willing to pay a premium.

2. Marketing message.
Spend some time getting to understand your target market. How do they feel about money? Are they tight or loose with it? What's their family life like? What are their habits? Are they easy to deal with or are they a pest? The more you know your target market, the better you'll be able to connect with them at an unconscious level in your marketing. Read the stuff by @Fox and @SinisterLex for how to write copy and create some professional looking websites. Or if you have money just outsource that.

Search for the course by @Andy Black and buy it.

3. Service delivery.

You need at least SOME experience in the trenches cleaning something. You won't know if your employees are doing a good job if you've never done any cleaning yourself.

If you're looking specifically into carpet cleaning then PM me and I'll give you a list of the tools/machines in my arsenal. You can start the biz for as cheap as $300 if you buy used equipment, but I'd recommend going all in on the best stuff which should cost you around $5k to start out. It costs more money up front, but it'll save you a ton of labor time and the end results will wow the customers.

Nail those 3 things listed above and you will have a 6-figure biz. If you miss even 1 of the 3, you won't succeed...or at the very best, your success will be mediocre.

I formerly had a big emphasis on understanding limiting beliefs, identity issues, etc but now all I tell people is to just do it. Nothing gives confidence quite like landing some sales.

You just turn off your brain and do what your gut knows you need to do. It's kinda like going to the gym. We all know we should eat clean and lift some iron, but then our brain starts coming up with excuses i.e. not enough time, too tired, maybe tomorrow, blah blah blah. Turn off your brain and trust your instinct. It already knows what you need to do. Don't think. Just do. As soon as you start thinking, you're inviting procrastination into your house. Screw that. I've said it a million times before on here...perfection delays progress.

Cut out all the BS surrounding you and give yourself the green light.

You don't. You do the work so you at least have a feel for how the biz works. Your employees won't respect you if you're asking them to do things that you're not willing to do yourself.

Just watch some youtube videos on how to clean stuff so that you have 80% of the knowledge. The remaining 20% will be learned in the trenches.

Good luck.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
You will learn it while looking for those first few clients but throwing yourself into sales would benefit you and your company greatly, even more than Toastmasters and talking to girls.

What kind of research have you done on cleaning companies in your area? I just noticed you're in the DC area and I know the owner of Rescue Me Cleaning (formerly Champagne Services in Sterling, VA). If you'd like an introduction to discuss what's involved, let me know. I believe he's looking for people who would like to franchise and brought that up to me Thursday.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,184%
Jun 8, 2010
California
What kind of research have you done on cleaning companies in your area?
To add on top of this, I've found browsing the competition's Yelp reviews to be immensely useful for finding out what the pain points are and what the clients are likely to love.

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China

So, my questions are;

I love reading.

This guy is named Rohan Gilkes.
He created a local cleaning service business, in 30 days I believe, and within the first 90 days was making 5-figures monthly.
And for those numbers, he was living in the DC/Maryland area.

In this Reddit post he details all the steps he took to do it.
If you Google his name he's been interviewed a few times where he talks more about it as well.

And if you're on Reddit, why not message him your questions?
Tell him the work you've done so far to get yourself setup and ask him SPECIFIC questions.
He might surprise you, like he surprised me, and answer.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
2 1/2 weeks. How many cleanings have you completed? What was the feedback from those customers?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.