The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing My Cleaning Business - My Journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I've had a cleaning business for over 3 years now. During this time I have never taken it seriously as I hated it. I've always wanted to have a "sexy" online business while I kept the cleaning business as my job.

I have an Ecom store that does 6 figures a year. This will soon be ending as me and my girlfriend run this together and working with each other has not been the best so we always said we'd end the store if it got in the way of our relationship.

All this time while I was funding my Ecom store, my cleaning business has been ticking along nicely without me even trying. Some days I come home and I've made €500. I don't do any remarketing to my customers or ask for reviews or referrals but every week I get a new 5 star review or a customer who referred me to a friend.

All this time the gold was right under my nose but I've been focusing on the sexy online business that has been draining my income since it started.

I've found my why and as funny as it sounds it's all because of a puppy. Yup, when I was cleaning another crap off our cream carpet it got me thinking that I'm nealry 33, in a few years I'm going to be having kids and I always vowed to myself that I would be there for them. I wouldn't be missing big events because I had to work like my dad. When I have bad days, I'm going to think of my why.

I'm getting things rolling for the new year. I want to transform my cleaning business from exterior work to interior cleaning like carpet cleaning and tile cleaning. This is high ticket stuff and I won't get affected by the rain and winter here in Ireland.

My vision for this business is for me to be able to step away from the manual labour side of things, hire employees, build a brand and make a lot of money in the process.

The vision for the business is to give customer's an excellent service, make it a great place to work for my employees and to bring that great American service I always hear about to Ireland.

Does it meet the CENTS commandments?

Control: Yes. Unless I rely on one big contract who can flick me away like a booger then I will be in full control.

Entry: It's a pretty easy business to enter but with carpet cleaning and tile cleaning you need training and you need good equipment that costs thousands. New equipment has cost me 7k.

Need: Yes, there is a need here for cleaning services. Customers always tell me it's hard to find someone to clean their home.

Time: Not the easiest type of business to keep going without me there the whole time but it can be done. I'll need very good systems and training in place before I can step away.

Scale: Again, it's not the easiest business to scale as I live in a city with a population of 100k but I can franchise, move into other services, start an Ecom store selling cleaning supplies and equipment and set up training courses.

Action steps for this year:

Build a new website

Order new equipment to clean carpets(this is ordered already but will take 3 weeks to arrive)

Uniforms (haven't had a uniform for 3 years)

Get training for cleaning carpets (have this done but I have to wait 2 weeks)

Buy a new van and get it wrapped with my business name

Set up a Limited Company so I can enjoy the great tax benefits we have here in Ireland. I'm currently self employed.

Find a good CRM and start remarketing and sending reminders to my customers

Systemize how I clean and do things so I can get ready to hire my first employees

All I need to do is get work and I know how to do that with Google Ads ( thanks @Andy Black )

Cost to start a cleaning business:

Website: $10 per month for hosting and build it for free via WordPress and Elementor.
Van: Cost me €1500 3 years ago and it's still going strong
Insurance: €500 per year
Equipment: When I first started I cleaned windows and all I needed was a ladder (€150) and squeegee/mop and belt €50
Marketing: €10 per day Google Ads budget. Free Google My Business page and free Facebook business page.

If you have any advice for me then please let me know. I'll be keeping this updated every month as I go through my journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Wow, what great timing to see this thread pop up. I'm a few months into my commercial cleaning biz and I'm already making more than with anything else I've tried, currently at 5k AUD per month in monthly recurring contracts.

I think there is a massive amount of potential in it. Not just commercial cleaning (by commercial I mean small to medium accounts, like yoga studios, offices in industrial estates (not the factory floor itself though), medical centres), but moving into low moisture carpet cleaning and potentially pressure washing.

Biggest success I've had is taking over accounts where they had a shit cleaner, absolutely smashing it on the first clean (I'm talking 5 to 10 hours, after hours, instead of the normal 60 to 90/120 min clean). Then going in to see them the next day to really get every bit of positive feedback and show them how indepth it was. A lot of things they may not have even known unless showing them. No good doing all that work if you're not going to get the credit. Take before and after photos too.

Now I've got their total trust AND they're embarrased to let the place get so filthy again, so from then on the weekly cleans are an absolute breeze.

I will be hiring staff to do 3 of the 4 weekly cleans, but the 3 cleans my staff do will be super basic and just maintaining the deep clean. Then on the 4th clean at the end of the month, I go in and do a deep clean, say, 2 hours for what would normally be a 1 hour clean, preferably when they are still there, or as they are finishing for the day, do there's some visibility. I have a commercial steam cleaner I use then which makes a lot of noise and really impresses them lol. Over time, will struggle to find things to clean and will just be the same time as a normal clean but it's more about visibility.

Got all clients from walking in and talking to them, seeing if they need a cleaner. If not, well, things change don't they, so i can email you a proposal for you to keep on file and we can be your plan B ;) how many people work here, how many toilets bla bla, takes 3 mins. And if you don't have that info you can take your best guess by looking at the size of the building from Google maps and emailing a proposal thats indicative only and subject to change.

Would love to chat more about this.

Last edited:

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I remember only a few years ago I used to work all week for €450, now I get to make this off one job that takes a few hours to do. If you want to make money cleaning then you need good equipment. I think I have about 20 grands worth of it from floor polishers to carpet cleaning machines and a power washer.

Screenshot_20220831-110131_Jobber.jpg

Slowly improving and earning more every day but lately I feel like I'm on the hamster wheel. I'm busy but not busy enough to be hiring people and I'm trying to change the business up to a floor care company but I'm just not getting enough floor jobs. So I'm still busting my a$$ cleaning windows etc. Some mornings I'm battling with my mind why I keep doing this as I really don't like it all.

I went to a training course in London and the trainer polishes natural stone floors for footballers. It was a good training course and eye opening to the money you can make if you have the clientele.

I read Felix Dennis book again - How To Get Rich and I'm wondering if I'm chose the right mountain. Is living in a small city in Ireland ever going to get me filthy rich with a cleaning business? I'm not sure. Winter is coming and I can feel my mood change, the cold days and nights will be here for the next 6 months which I hate.

I will have a bit more time in the evenings as daylight will be shortened so I'm going to try something online again. I joined Fox's Webschool. I already know how to build websites as I built my own, I do my own Google ads and know a bit about SEO so going to see how that goes as well as working on my cleaning business.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Wow, what great timing to see this thread pop up. I'm a few months into my commercial cleaning biz and I'm already making more than with anything else I've tried, currently at 5k AUD per month in monthly recurring contracts.

I think there is a massive amount of potential in it. Not just commercial cleaning (by commercial I mean small to medium accounts, like yoga studios, offices in industrial estates (not the factory floor itself though), medical centres), but moving into low moisture carpet cleaning and potentially pressure washing.

Biggest success I've had is taking over accounts where they had a shit cleaner, absolutely smashing it on the first clean (I'm talking 5 to 10 hours, after hours, instead of the normal 60 to 90/120 min clean). Then going in to see them the next day to really get every bit of positive feedback and show them how indepth it was. A lot of things they may not have even known unless showing them. No good doing all that work if you're not going to get the credit. Take before and after photos too.

Now I've got their total trust AND they're embarrased to let the place get so filthy again, so from then on the weekly cleans are an absolute breeze.

I will be hiring staff to do 3 of the 4 weekly cleans, but the 3 cleans my staff do will be super basic and just maintaining the deep clean. Then on the 4th clean at the end of the month, I go in and do a deep clean, say, 2 hours for what would normally be a 1 hour clean, preferably when they are still there, or as they are finishing for the day, do there's some visibility. I have a commercial steam cleaner I use then which makes a lot of noise and really impresses them lol. Over time, will struggle to find things to clean and will just be the same time as a normal clean but it's more about visibility.

Got all clients from walking in and talking to them, seeing if they need a cleaner. If not, well, things change don't they, so i can email you a proposal for you to keep on file and we can be your plan B ;) how many people work here, how many toilets bla bla, takes 3 mins. And if you don't have that info you can take your best guess by looking at the size of the building from Google maps and emailing a proposal thats indicative only and subject to change.

That's great you've found something that's working. There's always money to be made in cleaning as everything needs to be cleaned. Nice move on getting the commercial contract's.

I'm mostly domestic but would like to get more commercial work. I want to move into floors because it's indoors and you don't lose time and money because it's raining outside. Don't want to be hiring people and then paying them to stay at home because it's pissing raining.

Let's chat more about this and hopefully there's a few more cleaning business owners on here too.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Make sure you get your Google reviews guys. One of my friends started getting them from the start and has 125 of them now.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Finally an update on this.

I'm now making more money than ever. I'm earning about €500 per day at the moment. It's long days, 10 - 12 hours of manual labour. I'm doing about 6 days a week. Summer time is a great time to make money.

In the process of buying a new van. Not something I want to do with a recession looming but it must be done and I need to take a loan to buy it.

I've moved into services like polishing marble. Great money in it but I'm not getting enough leads in the area I live in here in Ireland. I don't really get enough leads for carpet cleaning either.

Most of my work comes from referrals or Google. Most of my work is still domestic. I'd like a few commercial accounts and need to work on getting these.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I’m a fellow cleaning business owner (well I’m just getting started in the US, specifically on the east coast). How did you find your fist clients? Did you take Andy’s free course to learn Google ads?

First I'd set up GMB as it takes a few days or even weeks to confirm your business as Google has to send out a code. Then I'd build a website out. You can build decent websites these days using WordPress and Elementor but it does take some time to learn. Once that's done you can start running some Google ads to your site. I've been using Andy's stuff for years. I bought his course a few years ago and last year I was part of his mentorship group where I learnt a lot about Google ads. Not sure how expensive Google ads will be for you in your area as in the US they can get expensive.

If you have limited funds then flyers and walking around the best neighborhoods in your city will be the best option. With flyers though you need to get them made right and pass out a lot of them, hundreds maybe even thousands.

I don't have any cleaner's hired yet. If I get a bigger job I team up with other local businesses or ask my friends. I'm still trying to find a service that will be high end.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
A do carpet, tile and hardwood cleaning. What equipment do you use to clean carpets?

There's a Facebook group called Cleaners Connect and the guy who runs it Courtney Lee is big into hardwood floors. He puts up a ton of stuff about it and he's making a few g's a day from it. Things seem a lot different in the US compared to Ireland, alot more money floating about over there.

There's a carpet cleaning group called Truckmount Forums. Everything you need to know is in those groups. Did you get trained?

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
How did you find your cleaners? Did you hire the cleaners first and then find the clients? Or the other way around?

I’m just starting my cleaning business here in the US (on the east coast). I’m thinking of posting a job ad online (Craigslist or indeed) and then finding clients (closing the sale) by doing GMB.
I'm about to start hiring, but all my clients were just from going door to door in industrial areas (sheet metal/roofing companies, scaffolding businesses etc) or main streets in suburbs (ie accountants, yoga studios) etc and seeing if they need a commercial cleaner for their office, kitchen, bathrooms (not any actual factory floor section).

A lot of people pissed off with their current cleaning team but can't be bothered searching for anyone new, just waiting for you to walk in.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've had a cleaning business for over 3 years now. During this time I have never taken it seriously as I hated it. I've always wanted to have a "sexy" online business while I kept the cleaning business as my job.

I have an Ecom store that does 6 figures a year. This will soon be ending as me and my girlfriend run this together and working with each other has not been the best so we always said we'd end the store if it got in the way of our relationship.

All this time while I was funding my Ecom store, my cleaning business has been ticking along nicely without me even trying. Some days I come home and I've made €500. I don't do any remarketing to my customers or ask for reviews or referrals but every week I get a new 5 star review or a customer who referred me to a friend.

All this time the gold was right under my nose but I've been focusing on the sexy online business that has been draining my income since it started.

I've found my why and as funny as it sounds it's all because of a puppy. Yup, when I was cleaning another crap off our cream carpet it got me thinking that I'm nealry 33, in a few years I'm going to be having kids and I always vowed to myself that I would be there for them. I wouldn't be missing big events because I had to work like my dad. When I have bad days, I'm going to think of my why.

I'm getting things rolling for the new year. I want to transform my cleaning business from exterior work to interior cleaning like carpet cleaning and tile cleaning. This is high ticket stuff and I won't get affected by the rain and winter here in Ireland.

My vision for this business is for me to be able to step away from the manual labour side of things, hire employees, build a brand and make a lot of money in the process.

The vision for the business is to give customer's an excellent service, make it a great place to work for my employees and to bring that great American service I always hear about to Ireland.

Control: Yes. Unless I rely on one big contract who can flick me away like a booger then I will be in full control.

Entry: It's a pretty easy business to enter but with carpet cleaning and tile cleaning you need training and you need good equipment that costs thousands. New equipment has cost me 7k.

Need: Yes, there is a need here for cleaning services. Customers always tell me it's hard to find someone to clean their home.

Time: Not the easiest type of business to keep going without me there the whole time but it can be done. I'll need very good systems and training in place before I can step away.

Scale: Again, it's not the easiest business to scale as I live in a city with a population of 100k but I can franchise, move into other services, start an Ecom store selling cleaning supplies and equipment and set up training courses.

Build a new website

Order new equipment to clean carpets(this is ordered already but will take 3 weeks to arrive)

Set up a Limited Company so I can enjoy the great tax benefits we have here in Ireland. I'm currently self employed.

Systemize how I clean and do things so I can get ready to hire my first employees

All I need to do is get work and I know how to do that with Google Ads ( thanks @Andy Black )

Website: $10 per month for hosting and build it for free via WordPress and Elementor.
Equipment: When I first started I cleaned windows and all I needed was a ladder (€150) and squeegee/mop and belt €50
Marketing: €10 per day Google Ads budget. Free Google My Business page and free Facebook business page.

If you have any advice for me then please let me know. I'll be keeping this updated every month as I go through my journey.
Delighted you’re documenting this @David Fitz. Looking forward to watching it grow.

That’s a powerful why. It will keep you going I’m sure.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
There's a Facebook group called Cleaners Connect and the guy who runs it Courtney Lee is big into hardwood floors. He puts up a ton of stuff about it and he's making a few g's a day from it. Things seem a lot different in the US compared to Ireland, alot more money floating about over there.

There's a carpet cleaning group called Truckmount Forums. Everything you need to know is in those groups. Did you get trained?
Courtney is the man! Great group isn't it.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

Build a new website

That's great stuff man. Nice to see some americans living in Europe!

The great thing about your industry is the re marketing part and residual income, as most cleaning companies make most of their money on the backend. You build that customer trust/loyalty and you'll be doing better and better.

Like you said, it may not be the most scaleable business, but it's still possible. You'll need employees as you said and maybe more trucks around Ireland or the UK.

Are you utilizing your social media platforms to their fullest? What's your business's FB @?
That can be important because a lot of people are on social media nowadays, and if you stand out there you'll have a better shot in the long game. Plus social media is like word of mouth advertising times ten.

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY

How did you find your cleaners? Did you hire the cleaners first and then find the clients? Or the other way around?

I’m just starting my cleaning business here in the US (on the east coast). I’m thinking of posting a job ad online (Craigslist or indeed) and then finding clients (closing the sale) by doing GMB.

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY
That's great you've found something that's working. There's always money to be made in cleaning as everything needs to be cleaned. Nice move on getting the commercial contract's.

I'm mostly domestic but would like to get more commercial work. I want to move into floors because it's indoors and you don't lose time and money because it's raining outside. Don't want to be hiring people and then paying them to stay at home because it's pissing raining.

Let's chat more about this and hopefully there's a few more cleaning business owners on here too.
I’m a fellow cleaning business owner (well I’m just getting started in the US, specifically on the east coast). How did you find your fist clients? Did you take Andy’s free course to learn Google ads?

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
A do carpet, tile and hardwood cleaning. What equipment do you use to clean carpets?

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022

I was just asking if you use steam cleaning or VLM. I got trained on YouTube

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY
First I'd set up GMB as it takes a few days or even weeks to confirm your business as Google has to send out a code. Then I'd build a website out. You can build decent websites these days using WordPress and Elementor but it does take some time to learn. Once that's done you can start running some Google ads to your site. I've been using Andy's stuff for years. I bought his course a few years ago and last year I was part of his mentorship group where I learnt a lot about Google ads. Not sure how expensive Google ads will be for you in your area as in the US they can get expensive.

If you have limited funds then flyers and walking around the best neighborhoods in your city will be the best option. With flyers though you need to get them made right and pass out a lot of them, hundreds maybe even thousands.

I don't have any cleaner's hired yet. If I get a bigger job I team up with other local businesses or ask my friends. I'm still trying to find a service that will be high end.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll get started on GMB first. I’m familiar with web design so that part won’t take too long.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.