• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Growing an Instagram following in a crowded niche

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Kyle Thumm, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Kyle Thumm

Kyle Thumm Online Fitness Entrepreneur Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $279
    About 4-months ago, I started growing my Instagram network.

I am using the network to build my personal brand within the fitness niche and my ultimate goal is to use it as a marketing tool for future fitness businesses.

I am a few years late to the IG party, but I believe this is a good starting platform for me to play and experiment with marketing strategies and to meet potential customers.

In the last 5-months, I have grown to 9,500 followers using Infographics. I am really not too concerned with the number of followers but I am definitely excited to cross 10,000 followers for the Instagram story swipe up feature.

Statistics from the last week:
    - Profile Visits: 1778
    - Website Clicks: 67
    - Reach: 109,097
    - Impressions: 200,879
    - Followers: +293

Looking forward to learning and updating you all with future progress!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    YoungPadawan, RazorCut, Xeon and 3 others like this.
  2. GWan

GWan Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $321
    I don't know anything about Instagram but 10000 in 5 months seems pretty impressive, especially with mostly infographics. What do you think contributed to your growth?

Xeon and Kyle Thumm like this.
  3. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,192
    Nice, man. Foundr has some excellent resources on growing IG (helped me cross 100k followers in less than a year when I was focused hard on it).

I also know a guy named Josue Pena who runs the FB group “Collective Entrepreneurs Online”. He is a whiz at this stuff and produces great content as well.

Best of luck on your journey!

georgecartridge, Xeon and Kyle Thumm like this.
  4. Kyle Thumm

Kyle Thumm Online Fitness Entrepreneur Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Thank you for the kind words! I will look into those things that you mentioned.

5. Kyle Thumm

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Honestly, there were periods where I was pumping out content and averaging 800+ followers per week. The key to my success has been just finding the specific topics that resonate with followers.

For example, I noticed that there has been a huge trend of people who are posting and loving posts on intermittent fasting. I went out and wanted to create the best post in Intermittent Fasting. The resulting graphic was simple but clean and to the point.

Link to see an example of the graphic.

This graphic was liked over 3500 times and seen by 200,000+. When I create graphics like this that go "viral" they get shared by a ton of accounts that have hundreds of thousands of followers.

This post alone is responsible for 10% of my followers.

Based on the success of this post, I created a lead magnet on the same topic and used it to gain 200+ email subscribers.

Finding more posts that will go viral is the challenge!

In the last month, my growth has slowed and my enthusiasm for creating new content has disappeared. In that same time, my engagement has seemed to drop significantly. It is definitely a grind.

GWan and Xeon like this.
  6. Neng Her

Neng Her Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $105
    The only followers I get, have the word Entrepreneurs (Gurus) under majority of them. Also they all follow my page then un-follow as soon as I follow back. I want to attract regular people who just loves to read. I am thinking it must be the hashtags I am using.

7. Kyle Thumm

Rep Bank:
    $279
    I'm am by no way an expert at Instagram yet, but a ton of people out there are using follow/unfollow bots that are responsible for that.

Instagram is all about engagement. Successful posts need to inspire the audience to like, comment, save, and share with friends.

I use that same mindset with hashtags. Think about the people who are searching or following specific hashtags and ask yourself, "Will the people that are looking at this category engage with my post?" If it doesn't grab there attention then you are gonna struggle.

RazorCut and Xeon like this.
  8. Neng Her

Neng Her Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $105

Ah. Thanks. I will keep that in mind as I continue to post.

9. RazorCut

RazorCut Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,756
    I have two IG accounts totalling 10k followers combined. It's a bit of a love/hate relationship with IG. I built the accounts as a kind of experiment and during busy periods I've not had much time to post (one is an inspirational account, the other beverage, and both take time and effort sourcing material and then combining/editing in Photoshop). It doesn't help when I am working away so have no access to my PC. I have recently started posting daily to one account again.

Likes and comments ratio's are pretty similar to yours.

Looking at your stats the work vs reward sucks and it is what I find unattractive with IG. If you compare reach to visits you are getting a 0.06% click through rate. I can't compare mine as at the moment I don't have a URL in my profile but I would expect something comparable if posting regularly.

Yes I know it's a numbers game with IG and if you have a 100k account then 0.06% is a good few hundred visitors but it takes quite some time to build a 100k account and maybe the time would be spent more productively elsewhere?

Just some thoughts.

As @Kyle Thumm says it's bot activity from programs like FollowLiker.

Kyle Thumm and Andy Black like this.
  10. RazorCut

RazorCut Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,756
    Thanks for the like @Andy Black, I was actually kinda thinking Adwords when I wrote it and anything Google advertising related always brings you to mind mate.

Just seems IG is a lot of effort when a good Adwords campaign would bring in a lot more visitors pretty much overnight. Yes it would cost hard currency but what price do you put on your time?

I will continue the IG experiment but when the time is right on my new venture then paid advertising will be my main focus.

Andy Black likes this.
  11. Kyle Thumm

Rep Bank:
    $279
    When you put it into that perspective it does seem like the grind might not be worth it or maybe I’m just doing something wrong! I am not sure.

My thought process is that Instagram is where my desired audience (women age 20-38) are spending their time but the space is just too crowded to drive traffic anywhere.

Friendly reminder to not follow your passion! One of these days I will find a unsexy business idea and take off running! Hopefully whatever I learn from the fitness space will translate and help me in the future.

12. Kyle Thumm

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Weekly Update Week 2
    Current # of followers: 10,236

Overall it was a pretty great week. Only created two new posts and they both have done very well. This week I didn't attempt to drive any traffic to my site as I am in the process of overhauling the whole thing.

Creating one post at a time is really wearing me down. Mentally I just don't enjoy it and the process of finding a topic, creating a graphic and then writing the caption is really slowing me down.

I am going to smooth out this process by doing the following
    • Hiring a Virtual Assistant to Bulk Produce my graphics
    • Planning a 3-hour block in my schedule to accomplish 3 things
      • Research Post Topics to send to VA
      • Write captions for the new graphics.
      • Use Buffer to schedule a week at a time
    My ultimate goal is to produce 7 new posts a week in less than 2 hours of my time. Once I do that I should see substantial growth and then I will have more time to focus on more important tasks.

- Profile Visits: 2430
    - Website Clicks: 32
    - Reach: 358,700
    - Impressions: 519,133
    - Followers: +705

Mattie likes this.
  13. Kyle Thumm

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Weekly Update Week 3
    Current # of followers: 11,043

Overall good week. Growth seems to be easy and I am converting my followers to an email subscription. A single CTA usually gets me 50+ new email signups.

I tested out a couple VA's to mass produce some infographics at a small cost but have yet to find someone that can replicate at a high enough quality.

Once I figure out a process for streamlining my self-produced content, I see my growth rate increasing significantly.

- Profile Visits: 3462
    - Website Clicks: 134
    - Reach: 330,566
    - Impressions: 469,833
    - Followers: +778
    - Engagement Rate: 6.63%
    - Avg Likes: 693.16
    - Avg Comments: 24.88

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  14. Kyle Thumm

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Weekly Update Week 4
    Current # of followers: 11,043

- Profile Visits: 3856
    - Website Clicks: 87
    - Reach: 339,409
    - Impressions: 509,690
    - Followers: +608
    - Engagement Rate: 7.95%
    - Avg Likes: 898.48
    - Avg Comments: 28.56

Still producing my own content but I am batch producing now. A week's worth of graphics is only taking me about 5 hours to create. Much better than what I have been doing in the past but I am still hoping to either cut that time down more or find a way to outsource the content.

Still content with the current growth.