The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings from Canada!

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've been on this forum for a little while now and figured I should finally write an introduction. My name is Alex and I'm from Ontario Canada, I'm 21 and new to entrepreneurship so I'm taking as many notes as I can from all you awesome value producers out here on the forum.

My story in a nutshell: Graduated from High School in 2013, didn't know what to do with my life and my parents decided I needed to go to college so that I could do something with myself. So as I had no awareness back then on college, life and how money worked, I went for anything that seemed "cool". So I ended up moving out at 17 and took Pre-animation. I drew during high school as a hobby so I thought it was a good idea at the time. I'll always remember my first day of college when my teacher said "Your diploma, the piece of paper you'll receive at the end of your program will be worth nothing. All that matters is your portfolio and results." As I went on, excited about drawing awesome backgrounds, characters and so on, the work started becoming, well, work. And over time I began to lose my "love" for the pursuit of drawing.

Soon after that, I quit my program and ended up taking Health and Fitness Promotion (I've always been very active) because I thought that was "my passion" at the time and seemed to fit "my desires" best. Long story short, I ended up graduating, and as I was supposed to get a great personal training job at a functional training facility that my boss from co-op offered, she told me "I think it would be best if you got a retail job for a year and then came back to see me". Then she hired someone the after with no skills/knowledge in training, but had sales and marketing experience. Go figure. I eventually decided to move away from the fitness world as it is extremely saturated (anyone can become a trainer just by taking a weekend course now..) and I was "losing my passion" for it as it became work again.

Now I'm currently working at Home Depot (Had previous jobs selling hot sauce, TV's, making smoothies and pizza pizza CSR) and have no debt thankfully. I'm trying to save up as much as I can (1000$ so far) but it's difficult with rent in the city and a minimum wage job. I literally walk to work and bus when walking isn't possible, just to save as much money as I can. But it's better than owning a car and being trapped by debt I guess.

All that to say, I'm now currently studying sales, marketing and copywriting during my off time for now. I think I've learned more/faster than I ever have self-educating myself than when I was in school since half the shit they talked about isn't relevant or practical. I learned a lot more about fitness and health outside of college than in college but that's a whole other rant..

Now I just need to find a need and learn the skills to help people. I was thinking about starting out small and trying things like finding clients to do cleaning, mowing lawns, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, learning how to fix phones or computers, web design, copy, etc. But I can't do most of those first one's without a car, so I'll have to do the best I can with the options I have.

Sorry for the long post, if you've read this far I hope you've enjoyed and maybe even learned from my mistakes about "following your passion" for some of you. I've read TMF and am almost done reading Unscripted , they are definitely 2 of the best books I've ever read and I resonated a lot with the book like most of you.

Nice to meet you all and if you have any advice or perspective on where I am right now, I'd really appreciate it :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hey Alex,

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Canadian.

Good on you for finding the TMF and Unscripted . Finding these resources in your early twenties is such a great help in carving out your path. Continue to take action and read the GOLD posts for some business ideas and general mindset and you should be well on your way.

Don't be afraid to take a higher paying job for the time being if it allows you to build some capital and also works with your schedule and allows you to work on your business. I would assume at Home Depot, they aren't paying you more than minimum wage which can be tough if your expenses are high.

All the best man! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me via PM.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey Alex,

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Canadian.

Good on you for finding the TMF and Unscripted . Finding these resources in your early twenties is such a great help in carving out your path. Continue to take action and read the GOLD posts for some business ideas and general mindset and you should be well on your way.

Don't be afraid to take a higher paying job for the time being if it allows you to build some capital and also works with your schedule and allows you to work on your business. I would assume at Home Depot, they aren't paying you more than minimum wage which can be tough if your expenses are high.

All the best man! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me via PM.

Thanks I appreciate it! I agree and I feel lucky to have found these at 21. Maybe these books are what people should win when playing the lottery ;)

And yeah I only make minimum wage which is tough. I'm currently in the process of getting my forklift/reach truck license soon so I'll be able to take that skill and find work somewhere else that pays more for the time being.

Thanks again for the advice fellow Canadian!

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
welcome to the forum!, from ontario hamilton. im doing a bit of lawn cutting now and its not to hard to get into, id recommend if you do this to advertise and test the market before beginning, theres no reason why you cant make a few bucks extra on the side after work or before. you do not need a car for this, in your local community walking is an ability you have granted you have two working legs.

if your to cheap for this you can literally go door to door and knock until your knuckles hurt pitching people. thats how i started out. gl on your journey to freedom

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello Alex and thank u for the great intro.

And over time I began to lose my "love" for the pursuit of drawing.

Sorry for the long post, if you've read this far I hope you've enjoyed and maybe even learned from my mistakes about "following your passion" for some of you. I've read TMF and am almost done reading Unscripted , they are definitely 2 of the best books I've ever read and I resonated a lot with the book like most of you.

That's the problem with following your passion for money -- too often the passion is bled dry and the passion then becomes begrudging work. Then that passion is killed forever more. The over-justification effect is a risk.

Welcome to the forum.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hello Alex and thank u for the great intro.

That's the problem with following your passion for money -- too often the passion is bled dry and the passion then becomes begrudging work. Then that passion is killed forever more. The over-justification effect is a risk.

Welcome to the forum.
Agreed, kinda reminds me of the book "So good they can't ignore you" (great book for those of you that haven't read it by the way!)

But hey, live and learn. Thanks MJ!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...