• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Greed is Good

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Ubermensch, May 26, 2016.

1. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $220
    "The new law of evolution in corporate Amercia seems to be the survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book, you either do it right. Or you get eliminated."

It's just how I feel. :happy:

@Cyriex
    @axiom

Favorite Gordon Gekko line of all time is at the end of the second clip.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. axiom

axiom Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    Greed is extremely underrated.

Greed is the source of all motivation and all success.

You take something because you WANT it. You want more than what you already have. This is greed.

As in everything, greed can be taken too far. Yet in its basest form, GREED IS GOOD.

3. Selfy

Selfy Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,644
    LMAO Greed leads to shady practices. If you like Gecko so much, check out Bernie Madoff, and see where greed gets you in the real world.

4. Digamma

Digamma Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,698
    Poor man wanna be rich,
    Rich man wanna be king,
    And a king ain't satisfied,
    'til he rules everything,

5. axiom

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    Greed is not the same thing as evil.

Why are you on this forum? Because you want to be an entrepreneur and make money so you can live the life you want. That, friend, is a degree of greed.

Greed is simply the yearning for more. Progress is never made without wanting something more.

Some allow greed to outweigh the true value of hard work, so they take short cuts. However, 'shady practices' are by no means the logical result of greed.

Greed is the force that propels you towards excellence in everything. This is predicated by maintaining control over it, not the other way around.

6. Selfy

Selfy Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,644
    Greed is also not the same as goodness.

I'm here not just of greed. I'm here of a degree of everything. Desire, anger, jealousy, happiness, inspiration... greed isn't that special.

Yearning is simply the yearning for more. Progress is never made without yearning something more.

Greed does not power hard work. Greed is irrelevant in a hardworker. Hard work is done through principles like kindness, excellence, respect and helping and love for others. Greed is not special.

[​IMG]

7. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,510
    You're not describing greed (which is very, very bad and never good), you're describing growth which is natural. A tree wants to grow as tall as it can and we (sometimes) want to see how awesome we can be.

Greed is not defined by how much money you have or want.
    You're greedy when you think it's ok (or are willing) to knowingly hurt people for money.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Delmania

Delmania Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,141
    Avarice vs. greed. If you let your greed eclipse your concern for your fellow man, then it becomes bad.

MotiveInMotion, OldFaithful and axiom like this.
  9. axiom

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    Exactly. Like every other "bad emotion" (anger, discomfort, etc.), greed can be utilized for the betterment of everybody involved. Those emotions will always claim their stake in your head, so you may as well work with them, not against them.

Ubermensch likes this.
  10. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,670
  11. OldFaithful

OldFaithful Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,267
    @Selfy, @V8Bill and @Delmania have touched on excellent points here. We should be very clear in the definition of terms, particularly when it touches such a thorny social/political issue with such polarizing connotation. Growth/Yearning. Good & Evil. Greed vs Altruism.

I like the middle ground between Greed & Altruism...Rational Self Interest. It does not allow me to harm/defraud another person, nor does it require that I sacrifice my own good/value for someone else's benefit.

I've read a terrific book that deals with this subject as it relates to business. "How to Be Profitable and Moral: A Rational Egoist Approach to Business" by Jaana Woiceshyn. I highly recommend it.

Supa, Ubermensch, axiom and 1 other person like this.
  12. axiom

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    I'd consider your post the ultimate answer to a subjective topic.

Rational Self Interest is a great way to put it. At the end of the day, we can only see the world through our own eyes (so it only makes rational sense to keep yourself largely at the forefront). That being said, for your own long-term success -- and sanity -- it is imperative to keep your fellow man in mind.

In almost any situation, there can be a win-win-win scenario that benefits everybody involved. Continuously searching for these scenarios is what sets the stage for long-term success.

At the other extreme, some allow their own health and flourishing to suffer at the expense of others'. This is not a good way to live -- just as being Bernie Madoff is not a good way to live.

OldFaithful and Ubermensch like this.
  13. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,510
    Full Definition of greed
    1. : a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed
    The problem with Webster's definition is; who determines what's "excessive" and what's "needed"? Who's going to decide for me what's needed or what's excessive? Their definition smells a little left to me.

14. ApparentHorizon

Rep Bank:
    $4,670

Exactly my point.

As the poet, TS Eliot wrote,
    "Words strain,
    Crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
    Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
    Will not stay still."

blackbrich and Cyriex like this.
  15. Cyriex

Cyriex Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,893
    Greed is reality, and yes, greed is good. It's essentially an extension of self-preservation. As humans, we're naturally predisposed toward acting in our own interests. This goes all the way back in history and is still much the case in lesser developed societies. Until there was civil society, the state of nature was a constant state of war. What keeps us in line has been centuries now of living in civil society where we've become conditioned to live in the confines of social constructs.

Thomas Hobbes wrote:

"For he that performeth first has no assurance the other will perform after, because the bonds of words are too weak to bridle men's ambition, avarice, anger, and other passions, without the fear of some coercive power; which in the condition of mere nature, where all men are equal, and judges of the justness of their own fears, cannot possibly be supposed. And therefore he which performeth first does but betray himself to his enemy, contrary to the right he can never abandon of defending his life and means of living".

What he talks about is nature. But why is greed "good" and when we say "good" I assume we mean as a societal benefit since we obviously recognize that it rewards who @Selfy calls "greedy people". But if we're talking about people, humans, our brethren - there was actually an entire study conducted by University of Oxford that I remember well that came out in 2014 from Time Magazine. It insists that inequality and social hierarchies can be a GOOD THING. Read the whole article here: http://time.com/41680/greed-is-good-science-proves/

Bernie Madoff is just an asinine case study of greed. He clearly broke the law and was able to get away with it for far too long. This mentality is just piss weak and will get you nowhere. You're here because of "desire, anger, jealousy" so basically you came here with a chip on your shoulder. You need a therapist, not this forum. Capitalism, Adam Smith 101: "people respond to incentives". And "hard work" is no exception. If you want acceptance for your work ethic you won't get it. People work for money, people come here because they're in the pursuit of a lot of money as @axiom said. End of.

Great video @Ubermensch. Love Wall Street. Hated Wall Street 2.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  16. V8Bill

Rep Bank:
    $16,510
    I agree. I'm just not sure we're talking about greed when looking at the positive aspects you and others are associating it with. Greed is considered by society as a bad thing. It's a term used to describe a negative trait. It's not normally a compliment. I think this is because it infers that people exhibiting greedy behaviour are willing to be ruthless, careless and hurtful towards others for the sole pursuit of accumulating more wealth or riches. Is that what we do, what we are, why we want to grow? I don't think so.

Yes, we're naturally predisposed toward acting in our own interests but that doesn't have to necessarily include all the harmful attributes of greed. I believe that we can act in our interests without careless destruction that's part of greedy behaviour. Plus, we can't point to anyone else and accuse them of being greedy without first having judged them as having "enough" according to our standards and if we go down that path, accusing someone of being greedy (without evidence of harm) has to start with our own jealousy or obvious evidence of harm caused for gain. People are accused of being just for having what someone considers to be a lot of money and that's just wrong.

Healthy growth no matter how explosive or abundant can be a good thing. I know how much I need, how much for a great life, how much for an amazing life and how much to spend on contribution and I can guarantee that even if I achieved all that without hurting a single human there'd be people pointing at me calling me "greedy" when I'm not.

Even Webster's left it open to interpretation of current community standards. It didn't define how much is enough, too much or needed. It infers (I think) that we can use the term if we think someone has an excessive amount and so it fails on that point to even qualify as a meaningful definitive term and can only be used as a slur based on one's own prejudices and jealousies. Scientifically, greed can't be quantified without a personal point of view. What looks greedy to one person may be just someone trying to raise money for charity. Context is everything.

17. happybhoy

happybhoy Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $21
    I suppose what greed means is subjective.
    To me it implies that someone is losing out and in capitalism it's not the consumer in the long run.

blackbrich likes this.
  18. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,052
    If this statement is true, then how do you explain this:

http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13721

@Cyriex
    @MJ DeMarco
    @IceCreamKid

Seriously, Bill, this stuff is easily discoverable upon a basic google search. Did you really think that nobody here would google you?

19. axiom

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    Ubermensch and Axiom Discuss Greed

Cliffnotes:

Axiom: Let’s talk about greed.

Ubermensch: You said talk about greed?

Axiom: Talk about greed.

Ubermensch: Greed?

Axiom: Yeah, greed.

Ubermensch: That sounds like a bad word.

Axiom: It does, you know, it sounds dirty.

Ubermensch: It’s a dirty word.

Axiom: Bernie Madoff dirty.

Ubermensch: Bleh. I think that’s a misconception. I think people hear that word and they think about some super shady dark room. Wall Street. Just screwing people over. Con Artist. It’s a very subjective term and the smartest people obviously get that. People have a lot of ideas that they’ve swallowed -- that they’ve thoughtlessly swallowed. These intellectual poinons.

Ubermensch: How can you not be greedy? Greed is EVOLUTION. You know what happens to the lion that’s not greedy? He starves to death.

Axiom: We wouldn’t have gotten to where we are today without greed. Nobody would have had the motivation to keep going because they wanted something more.

Ubermensch: Exactly. Look, I woke up today, got a quick workout in, because I’m greeedy for my own sex appeal. I’m greedy for my own six pack. And I’m greedy for money. That’s why I make my phone calls. It’s not exactly fun all the time. It’s fun when you realize that the actions you’re taking have a direct correlation to the income that you have. It’s a numbers game.

Axiom: Even then the fun is in the feeling of control, not in the feeling of making these monotonous phone calls.

Ubermensch: Right, it’s the enjoyment of the process. Watching myself get better. As Andy Black says, “Money is evidence that you’ve helped your fellow man.” And when I’m pitching something over the phone I hear excitement and I hear interest. Man that’s beautiful. And yes, money is going to come from that.

Ubermensch: It’s funny, you hear people argue over these words and they don’t ever take the time to even define the word. Arguing the word without defining it is like trying to play a game with no pre-established rules. It’s childish. And I think that rejecting the notion of greed is ultimately childish. I don’t think that you can call yourself a real hustler if you’re not greedy.

Axiom: If you didn’t have that insatiable need for more, you wouldn’t do the things to get there.

Ubermensch: Think about all the great writers, great poets, great inventors, great thinkers, great discoverers. They were all greedy. They had this excessive desire to provide a solution, to cure a disease, to help humanity. You’re not going to get rich without affecting humanity in a major way. For every Bernie Madoff, there are 10,000 entrepreneurs who have made the world a better place. It’s a pretty simple fact man, greed is good. If I wasn’t greedy, I’d probably sit on the forum all day and post videos.

@Ubermensch
    @Cyriex

blackbrich, Cyriex, Supa and 3 others like this.
  20. V8Bill

Rep Bank:
    $16,510
    What's your point? I had a disgruntled customer. She did everything wrong in her trading, we tried to help her as much as we could but she blew up and took us to task. Happens on the Internet all the time Why would I think no one would google me (or care)? Are you saying I'm greedy because I sold a course or because someone who didn't like me decided to sabotage a thread I posted in years ago or are your accusing me of hurting people on purpose for money because I had a complaint? [HASHTAG]#sad[/HASHTAG]

21. ApparentHorizon

Rep Bank:
    $4,670

Cyriex likes this.
  22. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $45

greed ( " become rich ! " ) is in fact a good bait for conning people

for example : i win with black in this chess game thanks to greed here

The white queen was greedy and took my knight. the right move was to move the white king

so i won thanks to one of the 36 chinese stratagems :

" cast a brick to attract jade "

" Offer them something small in order to get something big. Present something of apparent worth to attract real worth.

Lay a trap with attractive bait to lure them into an ambush or just to move them to a position that is more advantageous to you."

greed.jpg

you guys are being fooled at this moment in society but you won't know it.

ZF Lee likes this.
  23. RogueInnovation

RogueInnovation Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,920
    It should have read "greed is good for me"
    Gekko bought and sold businesses based on the greed and fear of other people
    He then sold off the assets of the companies mercilessly
    So of course he thinks greed is good, its how he suckers people
    In that big speech he's just saying "hey look how free I am, don't you wanna be free like me?"
    Playing on their own greed and self interest to sell them.

I myself would not believe a single word that dude says.
    He's a POS that provides no value.
    He does all his bs, for what? Nothin, dude is a hollow shell.

I'll tell you what is GOOD and satisfying as anything
    BEING SO FEARLESS THAT GREED DIES IN YOUR PRESENCE AND UNDER YOUR GAZE
    Feed people's strength, their inner greatness
    And the strong will find you and follow you
    The weak will tremble below you

Weak men wash away with the tide
    Alway have, always will

24. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The Horrendous Space Kablooie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,668
    I'm only a little fool - I'm an amateur at it - you're a professional. You've been shaking your cap and bells all over town.