The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Great slowlane jobs to help your transition.

Anything related to matters of the mind

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
the-secret-to-doing-what-you-love
I did a search and couldn't see a thread specifically aimed at this, so here goes.

There's a lot of info on here about bad slowlane jobs everyone hates and would love to bail from. But what about the good slowlane jobs that can help the transition? Jobs that give you enough to easily survive and give you more time off to work on your Fastlane journey, while not being completely terrible.

It's different for everybody of course, as having a family or health and mental issues can affect someone's ability to relocate or downsize etc. But maybe there are a few gems out there.

I'll start things off, although my example is a bit more drastic.

I left my time consuming job and moved to Vietnam, where I teach English in Hanoi. Cool city, cool kids and the average hours worked is approx 15 hours per week for about 1200 to 1500 USD a month (20-25 USD per hour). I live in a nice shared 5 bedroom 5 story house in the most expensive expat area, which costs me the huge sum of $220 per month.. I actually spend more than most on food as I cook at home for health reasons (after spending most of my free time in sth east Asia without a kitchen I stacked on the weight a little..) Buying from an organic vegetable and free range chicken place around the corner I spend only 50 USD on food per week.

It's not something I want to do forever of course, but as long as you make your free time useful rather than partying with the others you can accomplish a lot. I do love the job most of the time though. The other day I had a little Vietnamese girl telling me something over and over again the whole class. I was able to get it translated at the end and she was inviting me to her house because she has bananas and her parents don't have diseases haha (think she was talking about dengue fever as there is an outbreak here at the moment).

So, who has any other examples? It can be scary to take off the golden handcuffs but if there are some better options out there hopefully it can help some take the plunge.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Great story! I would love to go and live in Vietnam for a while :D

I believe any slowlane job which gets you an insight of what you might try to do in the future as an entrepreneur is valuable, whether is in the same industry or similar skill you might require in the future.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
anything that deals with customer service, sales & management

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
anything that deals with customer service, sales & management
I've done all of those jobs 10 out of the last 15 years. Understand it would be helpful to someone with no experience in those areas but I was more talking about work that can give you a decent enough wage to live on while affording you a lot of free time to work on your side hustle/fastlane project. And isn't completely terrible :p I know how that sounds.. But there could be some random gigs out there some people have never thought of that are perfect for this.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Great story! I would love to go and live in Vietnam for a while :D

I believe any slowlane job which gets you an insight of what you might try to do in the future as an entrepreneur is valuable, whether is in the same industry or similar skill you might require in the future.
Not exactly what I was meaning, but a really good avenue to take if it's a possibility.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
OK, I am going to go with the obvious since I state it quite a bit.

Software Development. It is knowledge work, highly fulfilling. The knowledge cannot be taken from you. You can learn it free. College not a requirement in the slightest Even minimal knowledge in the right area will get you an above average wage. Good developers some of the highest wages in the country on average. Usually enough money that it could be the only job you want and in many ways it is Fastlane in itself.

• You can work remote designing web pages
    • I have friends that live in places like Vietnam, Thailand and make around 8500 per month as a remote developer. In those places that is Fastlane value
  • You can always find work if you lost everything
    • If I had nothing left in this life my software development knowledge will get me a job in almost in country, in every state, at way above average wages (nothing short of six figures anywhere at minimum)
  • It is incredibly rewarding as a career since you are creating something all the time
  • The best: It Leads to FastLane life because you can be The Creator and use this knowledge to make new opportunities all the time
    • The Internet provides Developers with infinite opportunity to use their skills and knowledge + TMF /Unscripted mentality to change everything
    • Many Billionaires/Millionaires are Software Developers turned Entrepreneurs and you are using their products right now on this forum
I cannot imagine a better/easier Slowlane "job" that provides a decent life that has almost no barrier to entry outside of learning. The learning isn't too hard for basic things and junior level and in a few months is worth doing for the junior jobs for most people. Yet this knowledge grows, and the Fastlane opportunities from it do as well.

Of course I am biased. I owe everything in my life to this "Slowlane" job. I just paired it with Fastlane thinking.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
OK, I am going to go with the obvious since I state it quite a bit.

Software Development. It is knowledge work, highly fulfilling. The knowledge cannot be taken from you. You can learn it free. College not a requirement in the slightest Even minimal knowledge in the right area will get you an above average wage. Good developers some of the highest wages in the country on average. Usually enough money that it could be the only job you want and in many ways it is Fastlane in itself.

• You can work remote designing web pages
    • I have friends that live in places like Vietnam, Thailand and make around 8500 per month as a remote developer. In those places that is Fastlane value
  • You can always find work if you lost everything
    • If I had nothing left in this life my software development knowledge will get me a job in almost in country, in every state, at way above average wages (nothing short of six figures anywhere at minimum)
  • It is incredibly rewarding as a career since you are creating something all the time
  • The best: It Leads to FastLane life because you can be The Creator and use this knowledge to make new opportunities all the time
    • The Internet provides Developers with infinite opportunity to use their skills and knowledge + TMF /Unscripted mentality to change everything
    • Many Billionaires/Millionaires are Software Developers turned Entrepreneurs and you are using their products right now on this forum
I cannot imagine a better/easier Slowlane "job" that provides a decent life that has almost no barrier to entry outside of learning. The learning isn't too hard for basic things and junior level and in a few months is worth doing for the junior jobs for most people. Yet this knowledge grows, and the Fastlane opportunities from it do as well.

Of course I am biased. I owe everything in my life to this "Slowlane" job. I just paired it with Fastlane thinking.
Interesting..

To be honest I never considered it as I'm not a very tech savvy person (but actually, I'm probably selling myself short). I suppose all those years my RAS skipped over it ;) as I never believed it possible for me to do successfully.

But the more interested I become in it (not so much as a slowlane job but because it can open up fastlane opportunities I have thought of) the more achievable/possible it becomes. And the fact that it can double as a great slowlane alternative while building something fastlane is ideal. I really like the idea of building my skill set up at the moment, while I have the opportunity to comfortably do so.

Thanks Aaron, rep incoming.

Last edited:

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Interesting..

To be honest I never considered it as I'm not a very tech savvy person (but actually, I'm probably selling myself short). I suppose all those years my RAS skipped over it ;) as I never believed it possible for me to do successfully.

But the more interested I become in it (not so much as a slowlane job but because it can open up fastlane opportunities I have thought of) the more achievable/possible it seems.

Thanks Aaron, rep incoming.

Thank you Matt!

Seriously, when I was younger the barrier to entry for a brief time was fairly HIGH in attainability, hardware costs, lack of knowledge, but it could be done. I did it.

Now, you can get a RasberryPI for less than 30 dollars, a cheap throwaway screen to plug it into, and use wifi from somewhere like a Starbucks and bootstrap yourself to a world of knowledge and back to the Fastlane. Unless someone lobotomizes me, the knowledge I have learned will never go. As long as I have it, I can do something.

I have hired junior developers that have Zero experience, taught themselves for free from Learn to code with free online courses, programming projects, and interview preparation for developer jobs. for 75k as a starting salary, and watched them grow into 6 figures in a year. It is possible. Is that Fastlane money? It could be. But the knowledge is without a doubt fastlane knowledge and it is up to you where it takes you.

Again, I am super biased and this is just one of many good slowlane jobs. Certainly.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
But the knowledge is without a doubt fastlane knowledge and it is up to you where it takes you.
This is the main takeaway for me, in my situation. A slowlane (in a sense, at least to begin with) job that is arguably better than most, that also gives great opportunities for fastlane use.

I'm definitely going to look more into it.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
This is the main takeaway for me, in my situation. A slowlane (in a sense, at least to begin with) job that is arguably better than most, that also gives great opportunities for fastlane use.

I'm definitely going to look more into it.

I literally owe my whole current lifestyle to it. I am pretty happy with it. I consider myself Fastlane and my lifestyle as such since I pretty much do what I want to do. But I started this way, still develop today, but what I want and how I want. It is a passion and a lifestyle.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I literally owe my whole current lifestyle to it. I am pretty happy with it. I consider myself Fastlane and my lifestyle as such since I pretty much do what I want to do. But I started this way, still develop today, but what I want and how I want. It is a passion and a lifestyle.
I definitely wasn't calling you slowlane :) you have turned it into something fastlane.

I just meant that for me, as a beginner, I would be slowlane and for quite some time, but that it is one of the best slowlane options out there.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I definitely wasn't calling you slowlane :) you have turned it into something fastlane.

I just meant that for me, as a beginner, I would be slowlane and for quite some time, but that it is one of the best slowlane options out there.

Oh yes of course. I understood what you meant. I didn't meant o infer otherwise. I was actually in agreement with you. It IS a slowlane job, that absolutely can lead to a Fastlane lifestyle. Heck, many people consider the slowlane version fastlane. Honestly it is just a matter of learning to get same money without the same time commitment. That would probably be a good learning thread. Thank you for the idea!

But don't sell yourself short. You might struggle as learning anything new can cause.. but it isn't so long as it might seem and the results are honestly worth it. I doubt you would think it is Slowlane for long. I am willing to bet being on this forum you already have a bunch of ideas, or at least the drive, so you will end up in the fastlane sooner than you think simply by your own nature. Regardless of if it is with Software, Sales, or anything else TBH.

So I am rooting for you as well. I love seeing people veer off the sidewalk, out of the slowlane, into the full left side fastlane and pass me up!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.