The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Got a New Job - and why its a fastlane move

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey all! JP here!

I've been active on here on and off through the past 2 years. It's been some time since I've posted a update and shared where I'm at in my journey. If you want to find out more feel free to look up my posting history but I'll make my story short here as well so you'll get where I'm at.

One of the biggest things that I usually open with and identify myself as is I'm a Deaf man, deaf ever since birth. Had doctors tell my really young parents I will never amount to anything let alone capable of reading at a 2nd grade level. My parents being my biggest heroes took this predicament to the next level and raised me, a stubborn, competitive and driven deaf kid to the man that graduated High School with a near 4.0 GPA, only to almost flunk out of college to having a child IN college and barely graduate with a BS in chemistry.

Now after my son was born, a switch of accountability went off, I started my career in manufacturing. Worked at Eastman Kodak as a full time student, graduated and went to work at a manufacturing 'start-up' this was my eye opening experience to entrepreneurship and knew there was more to being successful instead of climbing the corporate ladder. I did tons of things all the while working because I've grown my family to 3 children and still with the same wonderful patient woman that had my son. I've even taught as a teacher, graduated with an MBA (online), and ran a electroplating lab.

Now about my new job and how does it relate to the fast lane forum. My career has been in chemistry which led to the electroplating job I've held for almost 4 years. During this time I ran a online web development business after being inspired by @Fox way back in 2017 if i recall, didn't bother looking back at my older posts. Now I've been contacted by a recruiter to grab run a electroplating department about a hour from my current job.

The one thing I've learned about this forum is to work hard everyday and be patient over a long period of time with bigger goals in mind. This job bumped my pay by 40%, but that's not why I grabbed this job. This job will offer me commission-based bonuses based on productivity performance, but that's not why I grabbed this job.

The reason why I grabbed this job is because I will be managing a department of 11 - 15 people that depend on my leadership, in a industry (electroplating) that is losing experience and knowledge rapidly due to many of the leading mens of this industry keeping their 'trade-secrets' as job security. As a young man (30) I see myself either running a plant or opening up my own electroplating production facility, this experience will minimize risk for me and my future investors.

I'm diving deep into manufacturing standards, Lean Manufacturing, Team Leadership, and many more. This is a 10-20 year plan to guarantee myself a space on the fast-lane. The truth is the faster i work day to day, the faster ill move in the long term.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats man, perfect example on how a job can lead to a Fastlane, and why a job is not the end of the world, but a great way to get domain experience and INSIDERS knowledge.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Congrats man, perfect example on how a job can lead to a Fastlane, and why a job is not the end of the world, but a great way to get domain experience and INSIDERS knowledge.

Thanks MJ!

I'll be posting more stuff about lean manufacturing principles from this point on because its something I'm experienced with and any entrepreneur that plans on manufacturing products could benefit from

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
A job isn’t always a bad thing. When I realized there were two reps at my company making over 500k a year in commissions, all with none of the risk that the company owners carried, I made the decision to buy my business ideas on hold and focus on selling.

There’s different ways to skin the cat, so to speak

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@jpanarra, You have my greatest respect. Congratulations on your achievements so far. At 30 years of age this is just the start of something big.

Walter

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Congrats on your success thus far JP. Your plan sounds spot on. I have no doubt there will come a time when you will either outright own an electroplating biz or be primary share holder in a related partnership. And you won't be an empty suit, but THE guy that knows the biz inside out and seven ways from Sunday.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
A job isn’t always a bad thing. When I realized there were two reps at my company making over 500k a year in commissions, all with none of the risk that the company owners carried, I made the decision to buy my business ideas on hold and focus on selling.

There’s different ways to skin the cat, so to speak

Good to hear from you man! I feel like the Fastlane is a mindset and a lifestyle instead of a way to make money but rather how to spend it and what to do with it.

IF there was a spot to make 500k a year, i'll take it and prob invest it to guarantee returns to the point where i can relax and work on whatever I'll work on.

Also you're working on a skill that'll be extremely valuable in future endeavors, similar to what I have. That also changed my approach to the job, trying to get as much as possible out of it and taking accountability for as much as i can because when it's time everything will be on me.

@jpanarra, You have my greatest respect. Congratulations on your achievements so far. At 30 years of age this is just the start of something big.

Walter

Thank you @Walter Hay always great to hear from you! We should catch up sometime soon, seeing that we are in the manufacturing space.

Congrats on your success thus far JP. Your plan sounds spot on. I have no doubt there will come a time when you will either outright own an electroplating biz or be primary share holder in a related partnership. And you won't be an empty suit, but THE guy that knows the biz inside out and seven ways from Sunday.

Thanks man!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.