The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google+ vs. Facebook

Marketing, social media, advertising

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I know most of us haven't been able to try out the new social network by Google called Google+, but I'm sure many have read about it or even noticed the Google homepage is now sporting a blackbar as it hits more and more users..

So what do you think? Is this the end for Facebook?

e.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shade

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 16, 2011
England
I've recieved an invite and spent a little time messing around on it, it's very different from facebook in some aspects and has some interesting features which set it apart from other social networking sites.

I don't think it will be the end of Facebook though, there are a lot of people out there of many different age groups who use facebook, and I think a lot of people are going to stick with facebook due to it's familiarity, as Google+ works in a different way and takes a bit of getting used to.

Hard to predict what is going to happen, Google+ works in an innovative way, I just think that it's came around too late and Facebook is already too big for Google+ to become as popular, at least not in the short term anyway.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
It feels similar to FB, that's for sure. I like the drag and drop into circles (groups), and some of their other concepts. Just another SEO medium for me.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
It feels similar to FB, that's for sure. I like the drag and drop into circles (groups), and some of their other concepts. Just another SEO medium for me.

Yeah I'm also wondering about the SEO opportunities it will offer. My guess is that it will do OK as a social network but it's kind of like Bing against Google, they're too late to the party to overtake Facebook.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
they're too late to the party to overtake Facebook.

You're never too late. Think Netflix to Blockbuster .... Apple to Microsoft ... Facebook to Myspace ...

As soon as you think you are firmly entrenched is when you are in trouble.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I agree, never say never. I think for Google plus to knock out Facebook at this point will require the 15 years of consistent effort that it took Apple to make a dent in Microsoft.

The only real advantage I can see in "plus" is the ability to segment your updates to your different groups. Guessing that it would take Facebook about a day and half to implement something similar, unless somehow Google can patent that technology, which I doubt since Facebook already has groups/lists.

My prediction is that for a long time "plus" will be just an SEO / Marketers echo chamber.

It was one thing for Apple to out-innovate a stale old company like Microsoft, but for Google to dramatically out innovate a Facebook, which is anything but stale, it's like two F1 cars racing from East coast to West coast and the Facebook car is already in Las Vegas.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
From a purely user standpoint, the ability to differentiate my circles is HUGE. MY biggest beef with FB is having my "buddies" be on the same privacy sphere as "family." I originally hopped on FB as a way to stay in touch with my buddies, not with the family. Now I know I can set privacy features for each user... but Circles is taking it to a whole new level of awesome.

Maybe this will spur Facebook to improve this feature, which will keep me a loyal user.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I am starting to see more and more status updates saying "add me on google +". It will be interesting to see what will be happening in the next couple of months. One word is clear in my head. "Opportunity"

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
RJMetrics’ analysis looked at the public timelines of 40,000 randomly selected Google+ users to track just how successful the burgeoning “social spine” of Google is after Senior Vice President Vic Gundotra announced last month that the network had more than 170 million users (To put that in some context, Twitter claims around 140 million active users). The results suggest that, even if that many people have signed up for the service, they don’t appear to be actually using it.

Google+ Not Doing So Well

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.