The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Ads Workshop Replay

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I did a 90 minute online workshop for some business owners in Ireland last week.

This is probably the most comprehensive video I've done to explain Google Ads ... for business owners.

What's your takeaways?

What will you do different going forward?

View: https://youtu.be/T0swT3kEOQs

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks, I will def listen to this!

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks, I will def listen to this!
My pleasure. Let us know what your takeaways are.

Someone asked this morning if I have advanced courses/lessons on Google Ads. Yeah, the advanced stuff simplifies Google Ads so business owners know how to use it as a tool. Advanced Google Ads is to do with how to grow a business better using Google Ads. It's not about doing more Google Ads certifications (of which I have none!) or spending another 20 hours studying intricate technical HOW-TO stuff.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Can I share with some friends as well?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Lucian M.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 10, 2019
Romania
A lot of value in the video! I'm halfway through it and I really like your way of explaining with real-life examples!

One question I have is if the niche I'm in ( software development ) has a high CPC ~$10, how would you test the keywords to discover the most profitable ones without spending a little fortune?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A lot of value in the video! I'm halfway through it and I really like your way of explaining with real-life examples!
Glad the real-life stories help.

One question I have is if the niche I'm in ( software development ) has a high CPC ~$10, how would you test the keywords to discover the most profitable ones without spending a little fortune?
Second half of the video. ;)

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
Great, Thank You!
I have one question...I am doing Google Ads for a doctor who wants to get more appointments. He has a lot of impressions and clicks as well because the website has a lot of articles, but most of the people exit right on the schedule appointment page. The page has around 1000 clicks but in the end the appointments are less than 50 in a month. Is this somehow normal or can I do something to improve this? What do you think? Can I find an answer on this going to your courses? Anyway, I am 99.9% sure I'll carry on with your course to learn more. Thanks again!

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
Great, Thank You!
I have one question...I am doing Google Ads for a doctor who wants to get more appointments. He has a lot of impressions and clicks as well because the website has a lot of articles, but most of the people exit right on the schedule appointment page. The page has around 1000 clicks but in the end the appointments are less than 50 in a month. Is this somehow normal or can I do something to improve this? What do you think? Can I find an answer on this going to your courses? Anyway, I am 99.9% sure I'll carry on with your course to learn more. Thanks again!

I'll help Andy out, but I'm sure he'll be here himself to answer this.

There are a lot of things that could affect the reason why you're getting only 50 appointments out of 1000 clicks, but this could also be perfectly normal.

Probably the first thing to start with would be the keywords and match types that you're bidding on - basically, you need to filter the traffic coming in better and establish whether you're getting relevant visitors or not.

Are you bidding on broad/phrase or exact? If you're bidding on broad, then chances are that you're attracting a lot of traffic, which is not necessarily relevant to what you're advertising.

Go into the "Keywords" tab in your campaign, and then into "Search Terms". Now what you see under "Search Terms" are actual keywords that people typed in when they clicked on your ad.

Are those terms relevant to your client's business? Do you think those people would be likely to book an appointment with your doctor?

I hope that you're using at least some negative keywords to filter this traffic, but if you're not, then definitely look into your search terms, and add irrelevant terms into your negatives list to reduce the amount of unnecessary clicks.

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
Thanks for answer. I am using both broad and exact phrase match and have a lot of negative keywords to avoid being found by searching terms related to competition. Also I have targetted locations and excluded locations. I think that should add more phrases because the main keywords may have a lot of competition as these are something generic like: online consultation for something...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks @Blackman.

All,

May I suggest you remove the words “traffic” and “clicks” from your vocabulary and think about people and visitors. When you do that you’ll maybe realise why the *visitors* to your website who are looking for an “online consultation” might no want to book an appointment at a brick and mortar doctors surgery. Etc.

helboi559

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 6, 2020
New York, New York USA
I did a 90 minute online workshop for some business owners in Ireland last week.

This is probably the most comprehensive video I've done to explain Google Ads ... for business owners.

What's your takeaways?

Andy,

thank you so much for sharing this with us. I just powered through this and appreciate you taking the time. This really helped me out.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy,

thank you so much for sharing this with us. I just powered through this and appreciate you taking the time. This really helped me out.
My pleasure.

I’m curious what your main takeaways were.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
My pleasure. Let us know what your takeaways are.

Someone asked this morning if I have advanced courses/lessons on Google Ads. Yeah, the advanced stuff simplifies Google Ads so business owners know how to use it as a tool. Advanced Google Ads is to do with how to grow a business better using Google Ads. It's not about doing more Google Ads certifications (of which I have none!) or spending another 20 hours studying intricate technical HOW-TO stuff.

This is something Id consider advanced ppc stuff thats also actionable PPC | KlientBoost
Pretty cool resource.

helboi559

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 6, 2020
New York, New York USA
My pleasure.

I’m curious what your main takeaways were.
Andy,

My biggest takeaway from it all is go backwards when trying to fulfill peoples needs & treat people as visitors and not "clicks".

I am playing catch-up but am taking notes and brushing up on google ad words. Ill take a deep dive in this subject and take a look at the plethora of information on your "Andy's Ad word posts".

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

You can still get volume if your CPC is lower than the minimum bid.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

What's your takeaways?

I really appreciated that you explained and illustrated on a piece of paper instead of just sharing your screen on a PP. I feel like it gave more of a personal touch and kept me more engaged.

This was a fantastic reminder of the big picture. Something I personally needed to hear. I get engrossed in the work and can’t see the solution to why the account isn’t performing as well as I want it to. Thank you Andy!

My takeaways:

The goal of the video
is to understand the power of Google Ads without getting bogged down with the techie stuff. Youtube channels and articles on explaining the techie geeky stuff that business owners don’t want to hear about, they just want to customers – Andy breaks it down.

The best strategy is to first, find what the market is looking for, then change what we’re offering, to match what they’re looking for. On very low ad spend, you can find what the market is actually searching – how often are those ads showing? Set a $10/day budget, and see which gets most impressions.

Buying life cycle – browser (no nothing about supplemental insurance), researcher (learning about different types of supplemental insurance), shopper (dates, locations, planning on what to buy, prices, etc.), buyer.

Find buyer search terms (i.e. allstate home insurance northridge). Someone searching that is much more likely to buy than someone searching “home insurance”

Every type of online marketing should learn what people are searching for before they spend money (or more importantly time) on catching people’s attention.

This strategy is particularly effective for service businesses that people aren’t having fun shopping for. Insurance, locksmiths, pest control, pressure washing, divorce lawyers, funeral directors, etc.

Run display ads, video ads, text ads, responsive ads, ads in gmail, you tube ads, yahoo, -> always start on the google search engine to find who is looking for what. Then use that data and allocate your efforts accordingly.

Paid search = demand fulfillment -> its almost criminal that in the next few days, someone is going to be googling “realtor for eichler homes in chatsworth” and as a realtor, if you’re not running ads on google… you’re not fulfilling the demand that’s already there. Especially nowadays with everyone stuck at home.

Seo/ social media = demand generation -> designed to give information (refer to buyer-life cycle). SEO is 2-sides of the same coin.

What’s better than low hanging fruit?

Falling fruit… With paid search, your basically just positioning your basket properly to catch the falling fruit. And if you’re not, your competition is. Or worse, they aren’t, and that person that needs your services is getting frustrated on google.

If you aren’t bidding on your brand name, your competition probably is. The result? One of your satisfied customers tells a friend “Oh yeah, Allstate insurance is amazing!” They google “allstate insurance” and an everquote.com ad pops up with an allstate insurance headline. The customer buys from everquote instead of you (the actual Allstate agent).

SEO is getting “free” clicks from generating content to show organically on Google instead of paying to be posted. “Free” is in quotes because its not free, you spend a lot of time to doing that. We get results in minutes with paid search. Whats more important to you? Money or time?

The goal for a business owner is to get profitable advertising from day 1. How? Bid on your brand name. Bid on branded products/services. Find what your market is searching – then give it to them.

Whats a good CTR? Depends on your competition, ad position, and industry.

Best way to get a good CTR: minimize showing (impressions) for rubbish. PUT WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR IN THE AD. Bid on every single location for the services that people are buying for. Cover whole country and bid on your +xyz +city
Physically target each neighborhood and +xyz +near-me

Forget KPI’s, as a business owner, we want to monitor the business performance. Have you had an increase in phone calls? Emails? Leads? Sales? Most importantly, customers? And then ask yourself, what is your average customer lifetime value?

Funnel:
Searches -> what are they searching for? Count impressions -> what are my ads showing for? Clicks/visitors -> how many visitors at what cost? Prospect/lead -> theres a good percentage visiting our site, but not filling in the lead form. Buyers -> they bought from you. Customer -> custom of buying from you -> repeat or recurring revenues. Champions -> champion your business with referrals

Your landing page doesn’t convert. People convert. If I send people looking for a realtor to an insurance LP, they wont convert. What are they searching for and what is the ideal visitor most likely to convert on your LP?

Main idea: Google is an amazing tool to find what your market is searching for and then giving it to them. They type it, you put it in the ad & the LP.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I really appreciated that you explained and illustrated on a piece of paper instead of just sharing your screen on a PP. I feel like it gave more of a personal touch and kept me more engaged.

This was a fantastic reminder of the big picture. Something I personally needed to hear. I get engrossed in the work and can’t see the solution to why the account isn’t performing as well as I want it to. Thank you Andy!

My takeaways:

The goal of the video
is to understand the power of Google Ads without getting bogged down with the techie stuff. Youtube channels and articles on explaining the techie geeky stuff that business owners don’t want to hear about, they just want to customers – Andy breaks it down.

The best strategy is to first, find what the market is looking for, then change what we’re offering, to match what they’re looking for. On very low ad spend, you can find what the market is actually searching – how often are those ads showing? Set a $10/day budget, and see which gets most impressions.

Buying life cycle – browser (no nothing about supplemental insurance), researcher (learning about different types of supplemental insurance), shopper (dates, locations, planning on what to buy, prices, etc.), buyer.

Find buyer search terms (i.e. allstate home insurance northridge). Someone searching that is much more likely to buy than someone searching “home insurance”

Every type of online marketing should learn what people are searching for before they spend money (or more importantly time) on catching people’s attention.

This strategy is particularly effective for service businesses that people aren’t having fun shopping for. Insurance, locksmiths, pest control, pressure washing, divorce lawyers, funeral directors, etc.

Run display ads, video ads, text ads, responsive ads, ads in gmail, you tube ads, yahoo, -> always start on the google search engine to find who is looking for what. Then use that data and allocate your efforts accordingly.

Paid search = demand fulfillment -> its almost criminal that in the next few days, someone is going to be googling “realtor for eichler homes in chatsworth” and as a realtor, if you’re not running ads on google… you’re not fulfilling the demand that’s already there. Especially nowadays with everyone stuck at home.

Seo/ social media = demand generation -> designed to give information (refer to buyer-life cycle). SEO is 2-sides of the same coin.

What’s better than low hanging fruit?

Falling fruit… With paid search, your basically just positioning your basket properly to catch the falling fruit. And if you’re not, your competition is. Or worse, they aren’t, and that person that needs your services is getting frustrated on google.

If you aren’t bidding on your brand name, your competition probably is. The result? One of your satisfied customers tells a friend “Oh yeah, Allstate insurance is amazing!” They google “allstate insurance” and an everquote.com ad pops up with an allstate insurance headline. The customer buys from everquote instead of you (the actual Allstate agent).

SEO is getting “free” clicks from generating content to show organically on Google instead of paying to be posted. “Free” is in quotes because its not free, you spend a lot of time to doing that. We get results in minutes with paid search. Whats more important to you? Money or time?

The goal for a business owner is to get profitable advertising from day 1. How? Bid on your brand name. Bid on branded products/services. Find what your market is searching – then give it to them.

Whats a good CTR? Depends on your competition, ad position, and industry.

Best way to get a good CTR: minimize showing (impressions) for rubbish. PUT WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR IN THE AD. Bid on every single location for the services that people are buying for. Cover whole country and bid on your +xyz +city
Physically target each neighborhood and +xyz +near-me

Forget KPI’s, as a business owner, we want to monitor the business performance. Have you had an increase in phone calls? Emails? Leads? Sales? Most importantly, customers? And then ask yourself, what is your average customer lifetime value?

Funnel: Searches -> what are they searching for? Count impressions -> what are my ads showing for? Clicks/visitors -> how many visitors at what cost? Prospect/lead -> theres a good percentage visiting our site, but not filling in the lead form. Buyers -> they bought from you. Customer -> custom of buying from you -> repeat or recurring revenues. Champions -> champion your business with referrals

Your landing page doesn’t convert. People convert. If I send people looking for a realtor to an insurance LP, they wont convert. What are they searching for and what is the ideal visitor most likely to convert on your LP?

Main idea: Google is an amazing tool to find what your market is searching for and then giving it to them. They type it, you put it in the ad & the LP.
Whoa. Thanks for these notes.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Takeaways:

Andy's good at explaining things

Google ads can do so much more for businesses than what they realise.

Help people and get paid: I bet Andy did that for free, and it picked him up a few clients.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy's good at explaining things
Haha. Thanks. I hear that a lot. I'm going to lean into it even more. Watch this space.

Google ads can do so much more for businesses than what they realise.
Yep. It breaks my heart watching the videos on YouTube that kinda miss the point.

Help people and get paid: I bet andy did that for free, and it picked him up a few clients.
Yep. Business is simple: "Help people. Get paid."

You're right, I did it for free. I've not got any clients from it (yet?) and that wasn't my intention either. I helped 17 people in that live class AND it's content I wanted to capture for YEARS. Now I've finally got it recorded I'm going to put it up as a free course or something, where people opt-in to view it. Then I'll run ads to it. Then I'll figure it out as I go along.

The group owner also reached out to me to discuss how to help grow her paid group and business directory, which is better than picking up one client.

Notice anything in the video?
  • I don't introduce myself. You won't learn my name from the video.
  • There's no call-to-action to do anything.
That’s deliberate.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

What's your takeaways?

Hey man, can you please speak german?
LOL
Joke aside, I love your slang Bit of slang and its quite easy to understand.
Very interesting! I m half through and will finish tomorrow.
Thanks!

A question came up , when you answered the question about seo: when I allways lead to a landing page and link further from that, will it better the ranking?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A question came up , when you answered the question about seo: when I allways lead to a landing page and link further from that, will it better the ranking?
I’m afraid I don’t know. I can’t even spell SEO!

Funny you mention slang. I was trying hard to not slip into techie jargon and completely forgot that non UK or Irish might catch the replay. I’ve no idea what slang I might have used but I’ll bear it in mind in future.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I have a lot of Irish friends and some of UK and I love the slangs. But its wrong to say that you speak with slang. I don’t understand them, when theY really do.
But I think, the Irish rubs up a bit in your case!

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
After going through all your Adwords content over last Christmas and watching all the YouTube videos and interviews with forum members, there wasn't really much new in this video for me, but I'm sure it was aimed more at people who are completely new to Google Ads and want to know how it could help growing their business. In any case, repetition is the mother of all learning.

You mentioned in the video that using white paper on clipboards was easier for you, but I think it would've been better to have one of those big white boards, where you can write with an erasable ink pen - it would give you more space for writing and make it clearer for viewers to see everything.

I wanted to know about you think about Google's budgeting system, where it overspends your set limits, but says it should even out at the end of the month. I've asked this question in the lead gen thread for local businesses, but not sure if you managed to see it?

Here it is > HOT TOPIC - Lead Gen for Local Service Businesses

Thanks

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You mentioned in the video that using white paper on clipboards was easier for you, but I think it would've been better to have one of those big white boards, where you can write with an erasable ink pen - it would give you more space for writing and make it clearer for viewers to see everything.
A smaller tip pen would have been better for some of those doodles, but I'd left them in a different room. I made the same mistake last night so will have smaller tip pens on my desk at all times.

A whiteboard makes lighting a pita, plus I don't want to spend time erasing things. In a face-to-face training session I'd use a flipchart, which allows me to go back to pages previously discussed.

I think the beauty of the clipboard is that it's more intimate. I'm still up close and facing the camera. It's more "us" and less "teacher & student".

Thanks for the feedback.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Blimey. Pretty cool feedback.

1647009488684.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor