The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going through traditional publisher but retaining ebook rights?

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
Hi all,
This is my first post on the Millionaire Fastlane Forums. I read M.J.'s book last year and have been at work for a while on becoming financially independent. I've dabbled in a few things here and there, but I've constantly been returning to writing. Whether I'm any good at it or not remains to be seen, but I've always been able to write rapidly about virtually any topic. Recently I've decided to give it a go in turning this into income. I've finished a few short books and I'm looking to get them published now. Which finally leads to my question: Is it possible or at all common to find a publisher who will produce physical copies of my books, but allow me to retain the rights to the electronic distribution (amazon, apple, barnes and noble etc)?

And bonus question, has anyone here gotten a publisher to pick up their book without using an agent?

Thanks,
Rahknee

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Last edited by a moderator:

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
Hi and welcome to the forum!

MJ's book was self published and part of the reason he chose to go that route was because he maintained control. Have you considered self publishing?

Here are two threads by very successful self published authors you should read:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/in...ger-corrupter-youth-harbinger-apocalypse.html

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/in...006-hello-denver-self-publishing-success.html

Thanks Allen, I'll check those out right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And bonus question, has anyone here gotten a publisher to pick up their book without using an agent?

I've been approached by a big name publisher. I have no agent.

All my international translation licenses, except 1, have been through no agents.

If you sell enough books (or have a documented following) the agents and the publishers will come to you. Until then, you're just another manuscript on a pile 4 feet thick.

And of course, if you have a large following, IMO, you shouldn't allow a publisher to leech your profit from something YOU built. I find that akin to going through the toil of building a log cabin by hand and when you're done, some guy comes along and says "Hey, beautiful place, mind I rent it out for you for life? Ill give you 15% of the profit."

As for your original question, I've heard of big name authors getting deals like this. I doubt they will spring for it from a newb.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I've been approached by a big name publisher. I have no agent.

All my international translation licenses, except 1, have been through no agents.

If you sell enough books (or have a documented following) the agents and the publishers will come to you. Until then, you're just another manuscript on a pile 4 feet thick.

And of course, if you have a large following, IMO, you shouldn't allow a publisher to leech your profit from something YOU built. I find that akin to going through the toil of building a log cabin by hand and when you're done, some guy comes along and says "Hey, beautiful place, mind I rent it out for you for life? Ill give you 15% of the profit."

As for your original question, I've heard of big name authors getting deals like this. I doubt they will spring for it from a newb.

Thanks for the response MJ. It's encouraging to see that you can get it done on your own. I'm still a total newb in this endeavor, though. Zero name recognition, zero following. Hopefully one day I'll be in a situation closer to yours than to mine right now haha.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.