The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going through desert of desertion for online pet treat business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I was vaguely aware. I need to do more research on it.
In my mind, you aren't even close to being ready to launch anything. The first thing you need to do is to create some customers to try out your product -- even IF you must give it away to them. Then your next step is to find out IF they will pay you for it and at what price point. At that time, you sharpen your pencil and figure out IF you can afford to produce your product and sell it direct at that price point. Your goal is to create a local product with great reviews that you can turn into a regional product. Then you figure out the local merchant's markup and figure out IF you can wholesale your product to local small business stores. Can you say, "I'll demonstrate my product on my card table to your customers. And it won't cost you (the business owner) a dime. I'll supply the products for your customers for free. Please just give me a chance to show your customers my product."? You go out and demonstrate your product by giving it to pet owners that come to the local stores day after day. Yes, it will cost you money for your time and your product. Your goal is to get your product on their shelf with customers that you have generated through your demonstrations. Your potential customers must ask for your product. Only then, when you have a proven track record, that has gone regional, are you ready to even start talking to the grocery stores, pet stores, and convenience stores. FYI. You don't talk to them directly. Most contacts are done through food brokers and distributors. It takes years and years, and piles of money to launch most products. Also, keep in mind, you don't have a lock on any food product. They can't be patented.

But, I'm sure that you don't want to hear this. How do I know all of this? When I was young, I was the trophy wife to one of the leading food techs on the West Coast. We set up commercial kitchens, production lines for manufactures, new product launches, and the hot food program for the Western five states for a major oil company's convenience store chain. (My husband was a certified genius who couldn't tie his shoes without having me at his side. And I was very good at being his wife.) I learned a lot about the food business during those years. But, who am I to give you advice?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
1. Affirm there is a need. Check (I won't go through details but there is a need from my research and experience).
3. Find a manufacturer from overseas that will do private labeling for me. In progress (unfortunately I have to import it). I'm at this stage.
4. Order samples from them and make sure they are in compliance with laws and regulations. (I should spend less than $100 here)
5. Hire an experienced and highly rated free lancer(s) from Fiverr to make advertising materials, such as videos, for my product. (I may need to spend a few hundred bucks here).
6. Tap the market by crowdfunding on Kickstarter/Indiegogo. Never give up equity. (First study other successful crowdfunding projects on these websites).
7. Look for distributor companies that will carry my product, such as grocery stores, pet shops etc., bot online and offline.
8. If there is enough interest from the market, open an LLC, company's website, tax accounts, bank accounts, insurance etc.
9. Register products to the states.
10. Order from manufacturers. Start selling. Sell on Amazon also.
11. Look for more products I can sell. Continue to observe how the market responds and what it demands.
12. Evolve, grow, sell.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. First, people don't like to feed their pets anything that isn't made in the USA. Canada is ok and most of Europe. I sell dog treats. Made in the USA very important.

Second, you don't mention how you plan to sell. Getting it into a pet store will be tough. I doubt you want your treat in a grocery store. They usually sell really shitty treats. Why would you even look at going into one?

Third, why is your step 8, step 8? Shouldn't that be step 4.5?

Fourth, based on what you wrote about taurine, I hope your product is just a natural protein.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Good evening, Fast-Laners.

I am preparing to build up a company that imports and sells in US a certain natural food that serves as an excellent, nutritious treat for my target pet animal. I have come up with a plan to start the business, and I am currently going through the Desert of Desertion. I'd much appreciate any kind and solid feedback and encouragement.

1. Affirm there is a need. Check (I won't go through details but there is a need from my research and experience).
2. Study laws and regulations. Check (I even found a compliance company I can hire for free {and a foreign gov't will pay for 90% of their service! No joke}).
3. Find a manufacturer from overseas that will do private labeling for me. In progress (unfortunately I have to import it). I'm at this stage.
4. Order samples from them and make sure they are in compliance with laws and regulations. (I should spend less than $100 here)
5. Hire an experienced and highly rated free lancer(s) from Fiverr to make advertising materials, such as videos, for my product. (I may need to spend a few hundred bucks here).
6. Tap the market by crowdfunding on Kickstarter/Indiegogo. Never give up equity. (First study other successful crowdfunding projects on these websites).
7. Look for distributor companies that will carry my product, such as grocery stores, pet shops etc., bot online and offline.
8. If there is enough interest from the market, open an LLC, company's website, tax accounts, bank accounts, insurance etc.
11. Look for more products I can sell. Continue to observe how the market responds and what it demands.
12. Evolve, grow, sell.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018

I am preparing to build up a company that imports and sells in US a certain natural food that serves as an excellent, nutritious treat for my target pet animal. I have come up with a plan to start the business, and I am currently going through the Desert of Desertion. I'd much appreciate any kind and solid feedback and encouragement.

2. Study laws and regulations. Check (I even found a compliance company I can hire for free {and a foreign gov't will pay for 90% of their service! No joke}).
12. Evolve, grow, sell.

Thank you.
Seems as though you've put in a shit load of work. Keep going, and finish getting it to market.

Once you get past the desert of desertion, your chances increase drastically. Remember that. You're almost to the point where your chances will skyrocket. Keep going. Get it to market.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
When I was starting this thread, I was hoping for an honest and quality feedback, such as yours. Again, I appreciate it, and your words have not fallen on deaf ears.
Would you mind if I later come back with couple questions please?

Thank you.
Sure. I'll tell you what I know. Success in the food business is tough, whether it's for people or pets. The profit margins are small and the biggest problem is spoilage. (That's why the restaurant industry has the highest failure rate of any business category.) Also, a lot of processed food items are commodities. That category is even worse when it comes to profits. At least you're not talking about food for people where everyone in the food chain has joint and severable liability. And then there are all kinds of issues around FHA rules for meat cutting and processing -- even for meat products used in pet food. Like I said, good luck. You have a long learning curve ahead of you before you even think of making a dime.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
First of all, amazing work!
Think that you are already on the right path. And love it that you just start with one product!!
I'd hire a freelancer from Fiverr for a company website/E-commerce, think that's important. Then create Instagram and Facebook accounts. So you are able to sell B2B and B2C without a big problem. Then get you first bigger orders in the US and try to sell them. If you have problems with getting capital, try the following: Get a company to commit to an X amount of your products, like 1'000. And then take that money and pay the original producer with it and ship the product only then when you already have a sales contract. But this depends also on your costumer and if they pay upfront.

But getting a company website/E-commerce store is in my mind essential.
Hope I could help a little.

Thank you!!

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Seems as though you've put in a shit load of work. Keep going, and finish getting it to market.

Once you get past the desert of desertion, your chances increase drastically. Remember that. You're almost to the point where your chances will skyrocket. Keep going. Get it to market.

I love your comment, man! Thanks a lot! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've put a lot into this, and I gotta get it to the market.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

What country will it be coming from. I hope it's not China. Made in the USA would be much better.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

12. Evolve, grow, sell.

Thank you.
Your #7 is interesting. Are you aware that companies pay "shelving fees" for getting their products into retail stores -- like grocery stores????? They also share in the ad fees. Launching a new product is a heavy-duty financial lift even for a big company.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Asia lol....

You are going through the desert of desertion on a bumpy road to shitsvillve and bankruptcy with no return.

Noone will buy crap from Asia when there is CAD/US options as mentioned above.

Source American suppliers, half the marketing can be MADE IN THE USA.

Here's a start

I do wonder how a new brand could compete with the giants now a days, tough industry.

Geez didn't know nestle makes pet food..

Thanks for your honest feedback, time, and tips.
My justification for pursuing it was the fact that there aren't many cat treats in the market, especially with lots of natural taurine. I'm looking into your link right now.

Last edited:

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Asia lol....

You are going through the desert of desertion on a bumpy road to shitsvillve and bankruptcy with no return.

I do appreciate your honest feedback and info (I really do), but not everything from Asia is a crap. You haven't seen my product.

I do wonder how a new brand could compete with the giants now a days, tough industry.

I agree, and dog food and treat market seems more crowded than the cat's. But then, is there anything easy? There always have been giants out there in the market, and with globalized economy, almost every part of the market seems crowded to me. I've seen starting pet treat business going well.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

12. Evolve, grow, sell.

Thank you.

Crowded marketplace but there could be some value skews maybe...... what are yours?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
First of all, amazing work!
Think that you are already on the right path. And love it that you just start with one product!!
I'd hire a freelancer from Fiverr for a company website/E-commerce, think that's important. Then create Instagram and Facebook accounts. So you are able to sell B2B and B2C without a big problem. Then get you first bigger orders in the US and try to sell them. If you have problems with getting capital, try the following: Get a company to commit to an X amount of your products, like 1'000. And then take that money and pay the original producer with it and ship the product only then when you already have a sales contract. But this depends also on your costumer and if they pay upfront.

But getting a company website/E-commerce store is in my mind essential.
Hope I could help a little.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Not from China. I respect the Chinese people, but I am not a fan of China as a source of manufacturing. Unfortunately it is not produced in United States, so I have to import. I'd love to not have to import.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
What country will it be coming from. I hope it's not China. Made in the USA would be much better.
Not from China. I respect the Chinese people, but I am not a fan of China as a source of manufacturing, especially when it comes to food. Unfortunately it is not produced in United States, so I have to import. I'd love to not have to import.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Your #7 is interesting. Are you aware that companies pay "shelving fees" for getting their products into retail stores -- like grocery stores????? They also share in the ad fees. Launching a new product is a heavy-duty financial lift even for a big company.
I was vaguely aware. I need to do more research on it.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
In my mind, you aren't even close to being ready to launch anything. The first thing you need to do is to create some customers to try out your product -- even IF you must give it away to them. Then your next step is to find out IF they will pay you for it and at what price point. At that time, you sharpen your pencil and figure out IF you can afford to produce your product and sell it direct at that price point. Your goal is to create a local product with great reviews that you can turn into a regional product. Then you figure out the local merchant's markup and figure out IF you can wholesale your product to local small business stores. Can you say, "I'll demonstrate my product on my card table to your customers. And it won't cost you (the business owner) a dime. I'll supply the products for your customers for free. Please just give me a chance to show your customers my product."? You go out and demonstrate your product by giving it to pet owners that come to the local stores day after day. Yes, it will cost you money for your time and your product. Your goal is to get your product on their shelf with customers that you have generated through your demonstrations. Your potential customers must ask for your product. Only then, when you have a proven track record, that has gone regional, are you ready to even start talking to the grocery stores, pet stores, and convenience stores. FYI. You don't talk to them directly. Most contacts are done through food brokers and distributors. It takes years and years, and piles of money to launch most products. Also, keep in mind, you don't have a lock on any food product. They can't be patented.

But, I'm sure that you don't want to hear this. How do I know all of this? When I was young, I was the trophy wife to one of the leading food techs on the West Coast. We set up commercial kitchens, production lines for manufactures, new product launches, and the hot food program for the Western five states for a major oil company's convenience store chain. (My husband was a certified genius who couldn't tie his shoes without having me at his side. And I was very good at being his wife.) I learned a lot about the food business during those years. But, who am I to give you advice?

I appreciate your candid and detailed words of experience, as well as your time.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
I just know how I would approach your project. Good luck!
When I was starting this thread, I was hoping for an honest and quality feedback, such as yours. Again, I appreciate it, and your words have not fallen on deaf ears.
Would you mind if I later come back with couple questions please?

Thank you.

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Yeah, I'm not feeling it. First, people don't like to feed their pets anything that isn't made in the USA. Canada is ok and most of Europe. I sell dog treats. Made in the USA very important.

Second, you don't mention how you plan to sell. Getting it into a pet store will be tough. I doubt you want your treat in a grocery store. They usually sell really shitty treats. Why would you even look at going into one?

Third, why is your step 8, step 8? Shouldn't that be step 4.5?

Fourth, based on what you wrote about taurine, I hope your product is just a natural protein.

Thank you for your feedback.
I agree with you on made in USA, but again, I have no other choice as it's not produced in here in Americas. It will likely be from Korea and/or Japan. However, I do believe in the product I am working on.

For selling, I want to begin by doing a crowdfunding and then selling on Amazon. I will look into attending cat shows to present and give away samples, FB ads etc. I take your feedback on the grocery store part. I'd like to aim to get into pet stores though.

Yes, the step 8 should have been 4.5.

Any other constructive criticism and tips are highly appreciated.

Did you have to register your products to each state by yourself, or is there a company you can hire to do the work?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Thank you for your feedback.
I agree with you on made in USA, but again, I have no other choice as it's not produced in here in Americas. It will likely be from Korea and/or Japan. However, I do believe in the product I am working on.

For selling, I want to begin by doing a crowdfunding and then selling on Amazon. I will look into attending cat shows to present and give away samples, FB ads etc. I take your feedback on the grocery store part. I'd like to aim to get into pet stores though.

Yes, the step 8 should have been 4.5.

Any other constructive criticism and tips are highly appreciated.

Did you have to register your products to each state by yourself, or is there a company you can hire to do the work?

Asia lol....

Source American suppliers, half the marketing can be MADE IN THE USA.

Here's a start

Geez didn't know nestle makes pet food..

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Sure. I'll tell you what I know. Success in the food business is tough, whether it's for people or pets. The profit margins are small and the biggest problem is spoilage. (That's why the restaurant industry has the highest failure rate of any business category.) Also, a lot of processed food items are commodities. That category is even worse when it comes to profits. At least you're not talking about food for people where everyone in the food chain has joint and severable liability. And then there are all kinds of issues around FHA rules for meat cutting and processing -- even for meat products used in pet food. Like I said, good luck. You have a long learning curve ahead of you before you even think of making a dime.

Great posts, really giving out some golden nuggets!

Ioachim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2018
NJ
Thanks a lot again!

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
I do appreciate your honest feedback and info (I really do), but not everything from Asia is a crap. You haven't seen my product.

I agree, and dog food and treat market seems more crowded than the cat's. But then, is there anything easy? There always have been giants out there in the market, and with globalized economy, almost every part of the market seems crowded to me. I've seen starting pet treat business going well.

Just wanted to say, don't give up. It is hard, sometimes overwhelmingly so.
Listen to the people who have been there, done that, but also listen to your own inner voice. And to that of potential customers, that can be infinitely more important ;)

Gasyhustler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 12, 2018

12. Evolve, grow, sell.

Thank you.
I think you are over complicating things here.
First of, you could just promote the product online. You can go on Facebook, Instagram and even open your own e-commerce store first to see how people react to your product. That way, you can easily fund all the manufacturing and you can pitch easily pet shops owners and grocery stores owners about your product based on the result your got online.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.