The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going back to a previous attempt

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
This is a very difficult market to break into, I wish you the best of luck on this. As said above, make sure you keep working for now, as this will need a lot of support to get off the ground.

Be Unique

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 25, 2018
Abilene TX
I had an Idea for a very long time that a couple months ago i tried to get started. Unfortunately, i ran very low on funds and had to stop investing in it.
It was using my mothers own Salsa recipe and branding it with her name (Merlindas Homemade Salsa) and using phrases she would say as to the temperature of the salsa.

EX: Shoot! Chang it! and Sharn-it ; for mild, medium and hot

My mother would never Curs and so she would replace bad words with things like "Chang-it". Yes, even "dang-it" was replaced.

Its been an Idea with the intent to free my mother from poverty and convince the rest of my family that a job is not the only way of life. My biggest goal is to retire my parents. And recently after reading TMF , now everyone around me thinks that i'm coocoo, so i have a lot to prove. LOL

I had to dig up old notes but the cost for every dozen was $39 ($3.25 cost per unit)
I was selling them in pints and for $6 per jar, witch had a potential return profit of $33 per dozen
I had a few sales but not even close to enough to get up off the ground
My goal was to sell just 10 dozen a day , but i ran out of funds making and giving away samples in 8 oz jars with the intent to gain more customers.
Perhaps i was taking them to the wrong places, but i was able to land one place to sell them. I met a friend when i first started working at the place i just quit. He just so happened to love the salsa and offered to help me sell them in his wife's bakery. Witch is in a very small town 40 minutes away

I didn't have the time or the resources at the time he offered and the idea has kind of been slipping my mind since.

I think i may give this another shot

Any feedback on this would be great and appreciated.
I know i'm breaking commandments here but its just to get started, and if the brand gets big, I can up the Scale.
anything I'm doing wrong?
should I come down on cost?
If i do the bakery thing (very likely) is there any advice?
should i hire a bottling company?
anyone know better pricing on mason jars?
should i even go this route?
should i create more capitol first?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Anthony Gordon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 4, 2016
firstly i feel you should ask yourself how truly great is this salsa ? what was the feedback you received from people who took the samples. but you need to take emotion out of it all just because you think its great doesnt mean others do but if others do then thats your first step.

i am hoping you still have a job somewhere because if i was you i would be saving as much as i can just for this project.

providing the first section is yes people loved it. i would trial the little bakery and you would probaly have to do it on your own and help with friends for bottling the salsa , i wouldnt worry about pricey jars i would go for decent quality but low cost for now until more people start buying more and you can put some more money into marketing , jars , labels things like that.

my girlfriends sister stared her own tea business years ago in Queensland Australia ( which is a state where i come from in Australia) slowy started off letting stores trial it for free and if their customers liked it she started showing the prices. (only a couple stores to start) now we saw her product the other day in a store in Western Australia which is where we live ( queensland is on the other side of the country).

its really persistence and to me just sounds like 1. their wasnt enough money saved on the side to really get it out there and 2. just wasnt enough time put into it and patience. but thats just going off from what ive read. i hope this helps in any way. who cares if its a small town. alot of things were found in a small town

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.