The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going against the Fastlane

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Fear
I realize I look like a total flake, if not a troll (since of the past few threads), but my life took drastic turns yesterday. Fear took over me, and I am never afraid , but yesterday morning when I look at the peeling walls of my bedroom... I thought to myself, "Where shall I go? What shall I do? I am going no where. I am going to be a loser. I haven't earn a steady paycheck in over 6 months... I need money. I shouldn't have to be living like this! I'm too good for this..." My pride for independence/freedom, has resulted me in losing money/time... I am going no where....

I made a few phone calls, pull a few strings, and I landed myself a 2 year contract as a factory worker a few hours later (19k a year; 40 hrs a week... in Dallas)... my father hires people for a company *different last names*, and I am going to live with him, which initially bother me, but then I realize I would consider an in-district student, rent-free, the city he lives in is booming, and I would be 10X better than being in a city collapse by the Recession. I could walk down my street here, houses are burn/broken down, gun shots at night, it's like a war going through here.... while my dad lives in a plush apartment in one of the nicest cities in US
I decided on this,
1. I am going back to college, really starting over but I'm not telling anyone that
2. I am going to save every penny I can. (besides helping with some of the bills)
3. I am going to get a night job as supplemental income (20 hrs on top of my 40)
4. Save 30k a year, at least.
5. Work as hard as I can. (buy another house)
----
At first, all these ideas about the fastlane ran through my head, but then I thought.... "insanity is doing the same thing hoping for the same results".... Why should I have to suffer...? Oh, Lawd, I don't want to suffer no more.

So my thread here is about this.....Has anyone here left *temporarily* the fastlane philosophy, for the slowlane, to pursue college/work so you can plan for a better future.

This will be my life for at least the next 2 years. (beyond that, who knows)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Hell. No.

I made that mistake last year for almost 6 months. I felt like I was going NOWHERE, so I came back to it and am never turning back. There is too much opportunity to go in any other direction. But best of luck.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
My friend says "Millionare mindset is great. But you also gotta pay rent and eat something"

Establish a base, then work from that base. Being broke clouds judgement a lot more than working 30 hours a week, having money, and now, opportunity cost of time, to get something started.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Please, before you do anything, read the book again.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Please, before you do anything, read the book again.

I read it twice. At least I did real-estate.

I know what I want to do. Open a restaurant franchise (I have two ideas), but I want to have some capital to afford that goal. At least 50k. But I rather do that 4 years from now then right now, simply because I can't even afford a $10 restaurant meal without feeling horrible about it....

I am not old yet, so it's not like I need to accomplish this "millionaire" thing by 25. I can settle for 30...

D

DeletedUser2

go back to work.

you have a alot to learn, you can either learn while in poverty, or you can learn while working. the speed of your learning is still up to you.

you have to pay rent. and you may even learn a little bit from what ever job your in.

good luck.

Z

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Remember this quote.

"Being an entrepreneur is living a few years they way you don't want to, to live the rest of your life the way you do want to"

I dont want to work full time, play sport, work out, then try and set up my business in my spare time, but I have a mortgage, I like to eat well and dress in a respectable manner. So I fit it all in for now, so that one day the job will no longer be required. Do what you need to do to. And sacrifice things. Don't spend money where you don't need to. I don't do beers at the pub with the boys anymore. That's 3-4 hours I can be working on my business, and usually 100 bucks to save. Best of luck.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
"Being an entrepreneur is living a few years they way you don't want to, to live the rest of your life the way you do want to"

If you can, you should use neuroplasticity to retrain your brain to make the life of an entrepreneur what you do want. I love it.:D

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Just my opinion...Unless someone is spending at least ten hours a day (and very likely more) on their fastlane venture, and they KNOW what their fastlane venture is (meaning they're beyond the brainstorming/research phase), it's better to get a job than to live in poverty. Too many people IMO use the Fastlane as an excuse for not working. Then, by the time they figure out what they're going to do, they're too far in debt and and have exhausted the patience of the working-people supporting them.

It might go against the grain of other advice here, but I say get the job. As others have mentioned, you'll make some money, and you might learn something that inspires a Fastlane venture.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Just my opinion...Unless someone is spending at least ten hours a day (and very likely more) on their fastlane venture, and they KNOW what their fastlane venture is (meaning they're beyond the brainstorming/research phase), it's better to get a job than to live in poverty. Too many people IMO use the Fastlane as an excuse for not working. Then, by the time they figure out what they're going to do, they're too far in debt and and have exhausted the patience of the working-people supporting them.

This is dead on. I agree 100%.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I live in the dallas area also and lost my job last week. Had two interviews this week. I am still going with the fastlane philosophy, but you gotta keep your household afloat. In my case, I have a family to support. There is nothing wrong with going slowly to the fastlane if that is what is necessary. I will utilize my new job for income, but also to find opportunities to increase my business. Always keep your eyes on the prize even if you have to work for someone else temporarily.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Fear
I realize I look like a total flake, if not a troll (since of the past few threads), but my life took drastic turns yesterday. Fear took over me, and I am never afraid , but yesterday morning when I look at the peeling walls of my bedroom... I thought to myself, "Where shall I go? What shall I do? I am going no where. I am going to be a loser. I haven't earn a steady paycheck in over 6 months... I need money. I shouldn't have to be living like this! I'm too good for this..." My pride for independence/freedom, has resulted me in losing money/time... I am going no where....

I made a few phone calls, pull a few strings, and I landed myself a 2 year contract as a factory worker a few hours later (19k a year; 40 hrs a week... in Dallas)... my father hires people for a company *different last names*, and I am going to live with him, which initially bother me, but then I realize I would consider an in-district student, rent-free, the city he lives in is booming, and I would be 10X better than being in a city collapse by the Recession. I could walk down my street here, houses are burn/broken down, gun shots at night, it's like a war going through here.... while my dad lives in a plush apartment in one of the nicest cities in US
I decided on this,
1. I am going back to college, really starting over but I'm not telling anyone that
2. I am going to save every penny I can. (besides helping with some of the bills)
3. I am going to get a night job as supplemental income (20 hrs on top of my 40)
4. Save 30k a year, at least.
5. Work as hard as I can. (buy another house)
----
At first, all these ideas about the fastlane ran through my head, but then I thought.... "insanity is doing the same thing hoping for the same results".... Why should I have to suffer...? Oh, Lawd, I don't want to suffer no more.

So my thread here is about this.....Has anyone here left *temporarily* the fastlane philosophy, for the slowlane, to pursue college/work so you can plan for a better future.

This will be my life for at least the next 2 years. (beyond that, who knows)

You are more than two years and 900 posts into this forum. Based on this most recent post I have to assume you're just wasting your time and ours.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Lights, what have you been doing for the last 6 months?

Bought a house, repair the house to liveable standards (I fix the plumbing, ), one business attempt fail (I drop 2 k into this..) which still disturbs me.... , held down a few jobs but every one I quit, relocated twice.

Honestly, I was better off just hiring people who know how to fix houses then learning how to do it myself, since that would had save me a lot of time. I spent a whole month trying to learn how to fix my house.

I also dabble in web html for a couple of months.

---
Otherwise, it was a waste of time on my part.... I don't know it depresses me, since I thought buying that house was going to help me in the long run, but it turn out to be a huge mess of a purchase. Although with 5 k I could fix it up to perfect conditions.

G

GuestUser8117

Watch this : Dream - Motivational Video - YouTube. One of the best motivational video I've seen. After seeing it on monday I closed the computer, put my shoes on and started running 30 minutes everyday of the week. Everyday, all week. Even today when it was raining like hell and there was a storm. I didn't care. Because I need to get back to 180 pounds and want to be physically fit.

The strongest motivator is pain , and pressure. Believe in yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.