• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

GOLD! GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by JackEdwards, Aug 21, 2012.

1. socaldude

socaldude Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,586
    Does anyone else find it ironic that the professor in the video speaking out against Peter Thiel has a book promotion at the end of the video?:rofl:

Yup, you should assume you are not capable of success and go thousands into debt to learn old business material from the 80s:rofl:.

I posted in this thread a few years ago, and back then my opinion was a tiny tad "pro-college" because I was still in it.

But as I have matured, I have realized my ROI on my college degree is literally negative. Yup, I have made absolutely zero dollars that I can accurately correlate to my business degree. I wish I would have held on to the $30k I used to pay for tuition. Talk about a case of buyers remorse, I want a refund. Worst purchasing decision i've made in my life as far as I can tell.

A college degree is just a worthless piece of paper that oozes of entitlement and false hopes.

Going six figures into debt cause your parents are scared to death that your gonna be homeless and without a college degree when you grow up is ridiculous.

2. JNB2

JNB2 Life is a voyage. Enjoy the trip. Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $7
    I have 3 college degrees and had a great time acquiring them, but the process of getting them is extraordinarily wasteful. And my degrees are in applied science fields that led directly to jobs. Most degrees are not, and most students don't go to school with a specific goal in mind. Mostly, I'd not recommend college except in certain field like medicine (although I don't recommend that), law, or the hard sciences.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $292,705
    Admin Post
    Someone should use the old "compound interest" memetic against the pro-college shills...

Put the money you saved by NOT going to college in an index fund for 50 years, and at the end of the term, not going to college would be worth millions.

4. 404profound

404profound Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,636
    i wish someone like you would have mentioned this when I was 17, as I was far too stupid to see the trap.

5. Contrarian

Contrarian Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,740
    Even though I didn't discover entrepreneurship until much later, I always thought university was a scam.

When I was at college (in the UK, compulsory education finishes at 16, and you can go to college from 16-18 if you want to - and it's free), noone would shut up about how I "have to go to uni". Teachers, other students, everyone. "You'll be wasting your potential!", "You're making a terrible mistake", they would say.

And my favourite - "You have a gift for English, you have to study English literature!"

What, so I can become an English teacher? Woo-hoo, sign me up.

I was one of those students that barely did any homework, did my coursework the night before it was due, and barely revised, but still aced all the exams.

Academia bored me to tears. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I wanted to DO something. Not spend another three years in pointless classrooms.

In one of my first (and worst) jobs, working in a dodgy boiler room call centre flogging home security systems, one of my colleagues was a 27 year old psychology graduate. I felt very good about my decision right then.

And I've never, ever regretted not having a degree.

GoGetter24 and Kingmaker like this.
  6. Daniel A

Daniel A DIESEL Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,639
    SERIOUS

I'm a student, and I'm considering adding a minor or concentration.

A minor in Psychology.

Or...

A concentration in Management Information Systems (MIS).

What do you believe would be more useful and why?

Thank you.

7. ChrisJHarrington

ChrisJHarrington Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,192
    Useful for what?

8. DAL

DAL New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Hi

I'm also from UK and can completely agree with this, I was in the same boat! At college my tutors were trying to sell me the 'you have to go to uni' tale. Thing is I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do so how on earth was I supposed to choose a the type of degree to do! In the end I didn't even apply to go to uni and decided to 'wing it' so to speak. I actually ended up in a science role after college as a technician and was paid to go to uni part time which was great as no debt!

However I still think kids in school and college need to be told that there are other options out there such as entrepreneurship. I was never told anything about this at school or by anyone for that matter and I know that if someone had sat me down at 16 and explained 'look there's another way' I would have followed a different path much earlier on in life!

DAL

Contrarian likes this.
  9. Daniel A

Daniel A DIESEL Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,639
    Last semester (Fall 2017) I had a change of plans.

After I graduate, I want to begin the process of commissioning as a military intelligence officer in the US Armed Forces. Four years active duty. If you look at some of my previous posts, I indicated my interest in military intelligence. I believe it's the best fit for me in the military.

I recently learned about another role. Psychological Operations or Military Information Support Operations. A marketing and psychology background seems to be ideal for that role.

I could list out all the benefits this would provide me in general and as an aspiring entrepreneur, but I want to keep this brief.

So yes after my planned service I do plan to pursue entrepreneurship. From what I expect to be a significantly better position and perspective.

Also, I'm now considering either a minor in Psychology or Computer Science.

Any input in this thread or via private messages would be much appreciated.

P.S. To commission as an officer in the US Armed Forces a minimum of an undergraduate degree is one of the requirements.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018