The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Glad to be here.

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
I've been out of school for a few years now (mech eng) and working in the engineering world. I saw the light after reading TMF and want to really provide something to society.

Glad I found you guys. Looking forward to lots of learning and executing!

Also, I'm not sure if it's a mobile issue or my phone but I can't seem to enter letters for the required tag. The 12% doesn't have any special meaning.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
I hope to be where you are sooner than later! The new mindset is very motivating. I always thought "if I want X I just have to wait Y amount of time..". I'm done waiting, done selling my time, and done not feeling like I have a purpose.

I'm currently keeping my radar open for new prospects that meet the CENTS criteria. Which is easier said than done. I'm also realizing that even after meeting CENTS, there is still a trial period to determine if the market takes hold and ones process is on point. Would you agree? Or are there other elements to add?

Thanks

M

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I saw the light after reading TMF and want to really provide something to society.

Glad I found you guys.

ahah, everybody says that.

this is like we found a lifeboat in the dead ocean of corporate world preventing us to drown

captain MJ DeMarco saved us.

but the question we ask now : " We are alive but still on the ocean, Is home far away ? "

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
ahah, everybody says that.

Yeah I suppose my statement was pretty generic! I (like a lot of people) felt like everything was already laid out for my life; school, work, retirement, death. Pretty depressing fate. Realizing that there are other options out there is exciting and motivating. Like I said earlier I'm keeping my eyes open for viable ideas. I think it's a sticking point at the moment. Finding something people want and something Im happy to provide. Any tips?

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Here's my tip. As an engineer, we're constantly frustrated with products that don't work, are poorly designed, or simply fail to meet expectations. (I'm sure you have experienced the same.) Pick one that you've noticed recently and determine if you can improve on it. Then evaluate it against the CENTS principles. If it can be made to meet all 5, and the market/magnitude is big enough for your goals, then START!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'm currently keeping my radar open for new prospects that meet the CENTS criteria. Which is easier said than done. I'm also realizing that even after meeting CENTS, there is still a trial period to determine if the market takes hold and ones process is on point. Would you agree? Or are there other elements to add?

I think the Crux is the "N". Look for problems that can be solved, or products that can be improved. As an engineer, this is probably a skill you have, just apply it to daily life.

Listen to people complaining or ranting. I made some money selling one product because one evening my wife said frustrated: "Man, I can't find these ___ anywhere!". My wife complains a lot, so I've gotten lots of ideas from her, actually ;)

Find an "N", and then apply the checklist of CETS to it.

Welcome to the forum!

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I am a Mechanical Engineer as well :)
Welcome aboard brother.

I always felt that in my network a lot of mech guys excel in software business but not vice versa. Just a random thought.

jesset17

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 23, 2016
Boise, ID
Materials Science Engineer with extensive mechanical engineering background. I think the ME background bodes well for product innovation or invention. I've only been on the forum for around 2wks and have gained a wealth of knowledge without even scratching the surface of older threads, and also already been exposed to some great opportunities.

Goodluck in your Fastlane endeavors!

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Since I've been looking for problems to solve I'm being pulled in a thousand divergent directions on what to pursue. Any way to calm that storm??

I love cars, computers, and fitness (powerlifting specifically) but work in the HVAC industry. I'd like to utilize those skills/passion on fulfilling a need there but the needs of the market trump what I'd like to do.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any way to calm that storm??

Find the biggest problem with the biggest market and with the toughest obstacles to overcome-- big problems tend to keep the wannabees and tire kickers away from problem solving.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
@Kinematic as much as I'd like to help you make this decision...
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-cant-make-your-life-decisions-for-you.33485/

As for just calming the internal storm, why even try? Redirect it! Focus it on a chosen path and make it happen.

If it's a matter of making a good decision out of the pluthera of options, try the WADM (Weighted Average Decision Matrix) technique from the book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...