The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Giving away "boring but stable" offline business ideas!

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

thechosen1

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Antarctica
Inspired by this thread started by @MTF : What Is the Online Equivalent of a "Boring But Stable" Offline Business?

In the thread, online businesses are being explored and compared to "boring but stable" offline businesses. The thought is a good one, but perhaps we could go back even further to the root...

-----

As far as "boring but stable" offline businesses go, I can think of nothing better than self storage.

The average new business fails in the first 5 years at a very high rate. However, self storage has one of the lowest rates of failure of all businesses, at 1-10%.

Of course, this is a real estate investment that requires money to buy or build, not a product or service started from scratch.

------

We also have this thread: GOLD! - 100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

So what would you consider "boring but stable" or even just "stable" (but not boring)?

- Blue collar trades
- Manufacturing
- Transport, trucking, hauling, shipping, freight
- Professional trades (white collar work - law office, doctor's office, dentist, real estate brokerage, CPA/accounting business)
- Products, especially with a strong need, rather than want.

Of course, making any these into a CENTS business is the real challenge - and it's all about innovation and execution!

What would you add?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thechosen1

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Antarctica
For products that fulfill needs, I would break this down into different categories. Maybe some of you have work experience here. Consider:
- Rubber-related
- Textile-related (clothes, clothing, sewing)
- Lumber/wood products
- Metals - from ore to plate, pipe, finished products - a mill is massive, but a distributorship doesn't have to be
- Chemicals
- Food, whether agricultural, raw, finished, etc
- Electronics, especially items that are used to connect things, make things work, aren't final branded items
- Power/electricity - transformers, circuits, meters, cables, wires

You can up the ante with a higher entry level - or a more "niched down" product.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
All kinds of services for the elderly? Definitely unsexy but super stable with a growing elderly population that is often much richer than younger people these days.

Stuff like:
  • Retirement communities. A quite big real estate investment but I imagine it can generate very stable ROI. Just need to invest in the right place attracting retirees, like Florida in the US or Spain/Portugal in Europe.
  • Medical services. Definitely much harder to figure out as you'd need to hire a lot of qualified people.
  • Preventative medicine, including physiotherapy, fitness coaching, life coaching, etc. This could also include trendy "alternative" medicine that's cheaper to offer including yoga, acupuncture, meditation, etc.
  • Online assistance and/or concierge in general. "We'll figure confusing stuff for you." Could even include stuff like crypto investing, understanding new technologies, etc.
  • "Legacy" services. We'll help you write your autobiography, we'll help you create your own unique piece of art, we'll help you make sure that the government won't steal your assets when you're gone, etc.
Damn, I kind of think it would be a really cool industry to focus on despite being quite unsexy and boring.

thechosen1

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Antarctica
All kinds of services for the elderly? Definitely unsexy but super stable with a growing elderly population that is often much richer than younger people these days.

Stuff like:
  • Retirement communities. A quite big real estate investment but I imagine it can generate very stable ROI. Just need to invest in the right place attracting retirees, like Florida in the US or Spain/Portugal in Europe.
  • Medical services. Definitely much harder to figure out as you'd need to hire a lot of qualified people.
  • Preventative medicine, including physiotherapy, fitness coaching, life coaching, etc. This could also include trendy "alternative" medicine that's cheaper to offer including yoga, acupuncture, meditation, etc.
  • Online assistance and/or concierge in general. "We'll figure confusing stuff for you." Could even include stuff like crypto investing, understanding new technologies, etc.
  • "Legacy" services. We'll help you write your autobiography, we'll help you create your own unique piece of art, we'll help you make sure that the government won't steal your assets when you're gone, etc.
Damn, I kind of think it would be a really cool industry to focus on despite being quite unsexy and boring.
This is perfect. I like it too because there is a strong motivation and higher purpose behind it.

Your business would be helping people with a very strong need. Love all of these.

This is sad, but all of the "end of life" services, too. Funerals, wills, gravestones, burial plots, etc.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
What I got was completely unexpected; @LightHouse generously talked with me for 2 straight hours...
MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom