• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

EXECUTION Getting started with first results

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Pat D. Rick, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Pat D. Rick

Pat D. Rick uhhh...42? Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $280
    So this is my first thread on this forum, but I guess it's a good way to monitor my progress as a freelancer and at the same time give you some insights on what's going on.

Okay, first things first...

In September 2018 I started on the side as a freelance copywriter. With all the tipps from this forum I setup an Upwork account and got my first client by sending him the article he was looking for, for free. He was impressed and gave my more work for the next two months. This was a content writing gig however, so not too much money. But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

I setup another account on fiverr which was more about copywriting than content writing. When people pay you money for what you create out of nothing it is sweet. But to me the real ice cream is the 5-star reviews they left because it’s proof that they were actually happy with my work.

In November I designed my own website. Amazing what you can learn with the help of YouTube tutorials. Because it was so easy to setup a new website and I remembered Fox’s thread about webdesign, I thought that this is another chance to earn money while helping people in need.

Thankfully I have some old economy self-employed people in my family. First target was my stepdad who has 6 employees and little to no work in December. I offered to update his website because it was pretty bad at that time and drive some traffic via Google Ads to it. 3 weeks later he asked me to stop the campaign because he got more phone calls than he could handle. It’s hard to describe the feeling of satisfaction I had.

After that until now there was just another customer for a website and every now and then a small copywriting gig.

Make no mistake, I still struggle to find new customers and most of the money I still earn with washing dishes on the weekend.

Now I think weekly updates are the way to go for this thread and of course every time something cool happens I’ll post it here.

If there are any questions feel free to ask :)

Lee H, astr0, NMdad and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,311
    Well done. Those are some very valuable technical skills you’re picking up (content creation, copywriting, website design/build, Google Ads). Wrap them all up in a bow and sell it as a way for businesses to make more sales and get more revenue.

Check out the Inbound Braindump thread in my signature. It might help.

Diesel and coffee.

astr0, NMdad and Pat D. Rick like this.
  3. Pat D. Rick

Pat D. Rick uhhh...42? Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $280
    Thanks I already read the whole thread and immediately used some of it. I sent out messages to old clients telling them that I have some free time now if they need my skills. Just one replied so far and assured that she will think of me in the future.

I also reached out to some local online marketing agencys offering my adwords skills for small business owners. Already met with two of them in person. One of them told me that they were looking for a guy like me the exact day my email reached them.

Guess there is some truth in this quote:
    "The amount of good luck coming your way depends on your willingness to act."

NMdad and Andy Black like this.
  4. Aron

Aron New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $7
    Go check out "The Webdeveloper Bootcamp" on Udemy..massive value for a low price and Colt explains everything very detailed. Just a tip from someone who just started

Pat D. Rick likes this.
  5. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,088
    Now that you've generated leads for a business, you might consider creating a list of similar businesses--maybe for different cities--and email/call them to tell them the results you achieved for a business just like them.

Andy Black and Pat D. Rick like this.
  6. Pat D. Rick

Rep Bank:
    $280
    Already doing that. Problem is that most people of that old economy are simply not interested in these kind of things or they don't need it at the time. Or I'm just doing a bad job in explaining how I can help them getting more customers.

Andy Black likes this.
  7. Gabry_ITA

Gabry_ITA New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $71
    Good work my friend, you've started the process, I'll follow your updates because there are similarity with my situation (I'm learning coding, developing a website and discovering ads)
    Good luck and enjoy the trip :)

Andy Black and Pat D. Rick like this.
  8. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,088
    That's OK, you can figure out the best-performing way to find, reach, and convert them. Even if there's 1 prospect in every major US city, that gives you dozens of prospects to practice on.

Andy Black likes this.
  9. Pat D. Rick

Rep Bank:
    $280
    Update for the last week:

Changed my strategy in approaching prospects a bit. After I read a thread here about the 80/20 principle I figured it would be better to focus more on the things that were already kinda working.
    So I sent out more emails to various digital marketing agencys asking if they would like to work together. Some of them said they would come back to me, when they need my skills. Some of them don't want to cooperate and a lot of them didn't reply at all.

I like the idea of approaching people that are already looking out for you. So I'm now going after facebook business groups as well and try answering questions about PPC without directly selling to them. This way I can learn a lot myself on the way.

Upwork is another thing I'm going back after because of course companys there are obviously looking for people like me. Plus it's a good way for fast feedback. Only "problem" is that it's mainly a platform for the english speaking market and I'm not quite sure yet if my english skills are good enough.

Biggest Problem:
    My biggest issue so far is my lack of patience. I know that this is kinda stupid but it's something I'm really struggeling with. I can't believe that already a week has gone by and I'm still have nothing to show for.

Any ideas on how to get more patient?

astr0 and Andy Black like this.
  10. Pat D. Rick

Rep Bank:
    $280
    Oh yeah it's already time for a new update.

So last week was pretty fulfilling. A client of mine who I made a basic website for and run a Google ads campaign asked me if I had changed anything recently because he actually got some new customers in. Finally a positive feedback!
    I tried to improve his landing page and ads constantly and finally he got some serious business with my help. In his own words "At first I was sceptical because nothing happened, but now that I got so many customers I'm convinced." Sounds like a testimonial :clench:
    I love it when people get results because it shows me that I am doing something right.

Another client reached out to me through Fiverr. He is starting a subscription based business and asked me if I could write the copy for his landing page. Had a phone call and am absolutely sure that I can help this guy. This is a great opportunity for both of us because it might end up as a long term partnership.
    It payed off that I read a lot about online marketing and that I'm constantly educating myself, so I can provide more value to my clients and see all the mistakes other people make.

Off topic:
    By the way I ran a marathon on Sunday. It was my first (and probably my last) marathon ever. I know this has nothing to do with the business, but it was an important personal goal of mine for this year. So if anyone wants to know how to run a marathon with just 10 weeks of training and less than 4 hours of training per week, hit me up.
    Anyway, here's a picture...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    astr0 and Andy Black like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.