The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Leads but no sales? Need advice!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm a little anxious and worried about how to troubleshoot my site & funnel if I can't manage to get a decent number of sales. (mostly because I'm running out of money.)

This should indeed worry you, no money to advertise means no sales.

1) I priced my product way too low for it's perceived value. (I really shouldn't have, I know, but when you're revising a book for the 8th or 9th time you start to kind of lose interest and faith in it :inpain:)

You very well could be right, how does it compare to similar products in the niche?

But anyways, after my one week pre-launch sale ends I'm bumping up the price to maybe 47 or 89.

Why those prices, and what are you bumping up from?

If it is a quality product, I would suggest going 45 and 90. Very few quality brands use 9s or 7s in their pricing structure. Rather they loudly state; this is what it costs, because this is what it's worth. If you're looking for a bargain, go elsewhere.

3) I give out 40-50 pages of free content from my book as downloadable content for my leads, perhaps it's too much and a little "too complete". I'm thinking about cutting it down to maybe 30-35 pages and leaving the last few pages as "cliff hangers". This way when they get to the end of the excerpt they feel a deep need and desire to finish what they're reading.

Maybe it's not the amount of pages you're giving, rather the type of pages you're giving out. Could you perhaps be more strategic with that approach?

For instance, I often make the decision to buy a book based on free content within the first page. I guess it's because the author has realised that certain types of up-front info are more attractive than others.

If I feel like the content is gold, yet incomplete, I buy...

However saying all that, 40-50 pages does sound like a lot. It's tough because you're treading a line between showing enough content to persuade leads that your book is worth their cash, and appearing like you're trying too hard.

Maybe try out cutting it down to 10, 15 max. Really think about what pages you should release.

Perhaps a good exercise for you would be to get books that you have, and decide what 5-10 pages you would use to promote them.

For instance The Millionaire Fastlane , which 10 pages would you show to someone to get them to buy it?

Also, looking at my email open rates on Drip, it looks like my emails are struggling to gather attention. I really feel lost as sh*t when writing copy for emails, I feel like they're a lot different compared to writing copy for ads such as FB.

Remember you're a customer as well. We all receive marketing emails, which ones do you open?

I think with email that it's all about the headline. A good headline will get me opening it, a bad one will prompt my email server to treat it as spam!

What are your open rates? How do those compare to your click rates?

What sort of split testing are you doing with your emails?

Maybe you can incorporate some kind of drip feeding of content within them?

... and meanwhile, I'm also going to have to look for a quick and easy job back in the restaurant industry because I have much more work I need to do within this business than I thought (and I'm running really low on funds).

Good idea, you need those funds... though low funds do force you to be a bit more creative with solutions ... however you do need a minimum sized war chest in order to gather data.

As an update: This is the third day running ads, and I just made my second sale.

Awesome! Take delight in that, there are people out there who take weeks or months to get two sales, you must be doing something right.

I've handed out my book to a few friends and relatives for reviews,

Try and make them relevant. If I had a book on gardening, I would know which friends to hand it out to, and they wouldn't be the same people whom I'd give a business book to.

Also tell them why you are giving them the book, be as honest as possible, however massage their egos slightly. We all love giving our opinions (ahem, look at me now!), so show them that you care about what that particular person thinks.

Being given a book with the words; can you read my new book and tell me what you think?

Isn't as powerful as; my new book is about ___ and is aimed at ____ which is why I thought of you. I particularly want to get your opinion on _____.

Thanks again for your inputs! I can't wait what'll happen once my retargeting is all set up!

Hope this goes well for you! Keep up the enthusiasm, keep checking your strategy and keep testing.

___

On a side note, I don't want to sound like a dick, however I am a bit OCD when it comes to grammar and spelling, (I self flagellate and say 20 Hail Marys if I catch myself using bad grammar, and I'm not even Catholic!) and I've noticed you've made a few recurring errors.

Hopefully you have had your book proofread... I know posting on a forum is very different from writing a book, however mistakes are easily made.

Any mistakes in your free content will not be forgiven, and you'll lose the sale.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I am by no means perfect when it comes to grammar and diction, it's just I notice these things... :)

Good luck, can't wait for the next update!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
If you are giving away a ton of product and no one is buying it.................

yeh... anywhoo

Id say your product sucks, had the same problem myself before, cheers

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
New product from a new seller needs time to gain trust. Spend max 70% of your budget on new leads and the rest on retargeting. You can expect to see much better sales percentage from the retargeting than the cold prospects themselves but it can take a week or more to see them filter through.

Also bear in mind that even if someone downloads your excerpt it doesn't mean they are going to read it then and there so that's a natural delay.

Don't give them too much to read. Enough to pique their interest and leave them wanting more. As you say, leave them on a cliffhanger.

Also books can be a hard sell at a decent margin as people are used to spending <$20 so they may be a little reluctant to part with their money.

What's your funnel and advertising look like? You should be running at least 4 ad-sets with at least 4 to 8 ads per set. So that's a minimum of $20 a day but really you need to be spending more so FB can gather some data.

Get some reviews up ASAP with a photo of them as well if you can swing it as that helps a lot with credibility.

2 days is way too soon to start worrying. You're going to have to have the best part of a week under your belt just to gain some knowledge at your current spending.

-

Lenin G.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 28, 2016
Hey bud,

It seems like you're in the right path! You already got 2 sales of an info product that sells for $47, so that's $94, and your ad spend is $20 - $30 (at 10 bucks a day)... Not too shabby!

I'd scale up that campaign a bit to say $15 a day and see what happens, and i'd definitely run retargeting ads. Messenger ads and bots have been working pretty nice for me lately, you should try that as well.

Also, why just selling a book for $47? Why don't you sell a video course for $197 or even a higher ticket item like coaching or something like that?

Hope this helps!

- L.G.

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
I'm a little confused by the structure of your funnel. But there is a critical error hidden in the middle of your post. You don't have any reviews or testimonials of the product?

Social proof is CRITICAL to making the sale. While there are better copywriters than me on this forum, I do pretty well following one principle. I assemble every single piece of proof I can before I start writing any sales copy.

Then I build the copy around that proof. It's the Amazon model. Without reviews that site would be hearing crickets.

While getting reviews from friends/family is sketchy, it's better than nothing. Also, I would spread my wings and approach other people in the niche. Send free copies to bloggers in your niche and find forums where people in that niche hang out. Get some legit reviews and you might even get some affiliates that way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
New product from a new seller needs time to gain trust. Spend max 70% of your budget on new leads and the rest on retargeting. You can expect to see much better sales percentage from the retargeting than the cold prospects themselves but it can take a week or more to see them filter through...

What's your funnel and advertising look like? You should be running at least 4 ad-sets with at least 4 to 8 ads per set. So that's a minimum of $20 a day but really you need to be spending more so FB can gather some data...

Get some reviews up ASAP with a photo of them as well if you can swing it as that helps a lot with credibility.

2 days is way too soon to start worrying. You're going to have to have the best part of a week under your belt just to gain some knowledge at your current spending.

-
Thanks a lot for your input!! I really can't thank you enough, this whole day I was teeter-tottering on the idea of scrapping the whole thing and starting a new business again.

I think you might of hit the nail on the head with this, I've only set up one ad ATM for testing purposes, so it looks like I need to set up at least a few more for re-targeting purposes.

Also, looking at my email open rates on Drip, it looks like my emails are struggling to gather attention. I really feel lost as shit when writing copy for emails, I feel like they're a lot different compared to writing copy for ads such as FB. Would you be able to point me in the right direction in refining my email copy skills through books, swipe files, or of something of that nature?

Seems like I have a lot more work to do, thanks again!

(Oh, and one more thing!, do you mind sharing your method of asking for reviews? I feel like just plainly asking for reviews after a week or so after purchase is terrible way to ask for reviews because most people wouldn't care for it. Thanks again!)

I'm a little confused by the structure of your funnel. But there is a critical error hidden in the middle of your post. You don't have any reviews or testimonials of the product?

Social proof is CRITICAL to making the sale. While there are better copywriters than me on this forum, I do pretty well following one principle. I assemble every single piece of proof I can before I start writing any sales copy.

Then I build the copy around that proof. It's the Amazon model. Without reviews that site would be hearing crickets.

While getting reviews from friends/family is sketchy, it's better than nothing. Also, I would spread my wings and approach other people in the niche. Send free copies to bloggers in your niche and find forums where people in that niche hang out. Get some legit reviews and you might even get some affiliates that way.

I think you're right, I thought I'd be able to get reviews during the process of selling instead of getting them before, but I've clearly realized this is an uphill climb. I thought great copy that would resonate deep within buyers would be enough, but now I know it isn't.

So as of now, I'm going to get reviews up ASAP... and meanwhile, I'm also going to have to look for a quick and easy job back in the restaurant industry because I have much more work I need to do within this business than I thought (and I'm running really low on funds).

Thanks for your input!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Thanks a lot for your input!! I really can't thank you enough, this whole day I was teeter-tottering on the idea of scrapping the whole thing and starting a new business again.

FB advertising is a skill to be learned like anything else. It is not easy and it takes time and effort and can be very frustrating for many so they often just give up.

I don't profess to be an expert, but what I have written is just the basics. You need to create lots of ads, run them for a sensible amount of time to gain data, then cut the ones that don't work and make more based off your best converting ones. FB changes from one week to the next, you always have to try new ads to see what's working. Also don't forget ads will vary in success depending on the audience you present them to. There are so many factors at play which is why people give up a lot of the time. To figure things out you need data, lots of data. For that you need money. Not huge amounts of money but enough to give you a lay of the land.

I think FB now say they require something like 50 conversions to have enough data to auto target your ads efficiently.

Also, looking at my email open rates on Drip, it looks like my emails are struggling to gather attention. I really feel lost as sh*t when writing copy for emails, I feel like they're a lot different compared to writing copy for ads such as FB. Would you be able to point me in the right direction in refining my email copy skills through books, swipe files, or of something of that nature?

Seems like I have a lot more work to do, thanks again!

Follow and pay attention to @Lex DeVille he drops some serious knowledge on copy. Try this thread for starters:

GOLD! - Guru Cults Exposed: The Tactics "Experts" Use To Pull You In & Suck You Dry

Gary Halbert of course:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1484825985/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

And there are other good recommendations here:

10 Free Copywriting Resources to Catapult Revenue (Or Your Money Back)

(Oh, and one more thing!, do you mind sharing your method of asking for reviews? I feel like just plainly asking for reviews after a week or so after purchase is terrible way to ask for reviews because most people wouldn't care for it. Thanks again!)

Here are a few off the top of my head:

You have a digital book so at the end ask for a review before they close the final page. Hell do it in the middle as well just after a very captivating chapter "Are you enjoying it so far? Please let me know what you think, just click the link below and leave a comment. It will only take a few seconds and I will be eternally grateful

Sincerely

Kiss Arse Fred"

Include a link to a very short form (the smaller the form the better the response so name, city and comment would be perfect plus maybe email as an option.

Bribery also works. "Love books? Here's your chance to win a years free subscription to...... (Audible, Kindle Ann Summers, Victoria's Secret or whatever). Just leave a short review telling us what you thought of our book and you will be automatically entered."

This way when you pick up the email address for the competition you can get them on your email list if they give permission.

Also on the checkout page you can tell them you value their opinion so would like to ask if they wouldn't mind being contacted for their thoughts in a month time. Tell them their opinion will directly influence the "My Secret Success Book Vol II". Use a tick box or radio button to indicate they are happy to be contacted.

If you already have an email list hit them up for reviews as you already have a relationship with them.

Do what loads of Amazon FBA sellers do, find a suitable audience online that would be receptive to your offering, and give some of them the book for free in exchange for a review.

-

Last edited:

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
FB advertising is a skill to be learned like anything else. It is not easy and it takes time and effort and can be very frustrating for many so they often just give up.

I don't profess to be an expert, but what I have written is just the basics. You need to create lots of ads, run them for a sensible amount of time to gain data, then cut the ones that don't work and make more based off your best converting ones. FB changes from one week to the next, you always have to try new ads to see what's working. Also don't forget ads will vary in success depending on the audience you present them to. There are so many factors at play which is why people give up a lot of the time. To figure things out you need data, lots of data. For that you need money. Not huge amounts of money but enough to give you a lay of the land.

I think FB now say they require something like 50 conversions to have enough data to auto target your ads efficiently.

Okay gotcha, so just keep testing and testing and testing. I currently have a descent amount of swipe files I can work off of to create new ads so this shouldn't be a problem.

Follow and pay attention to @Lex DeVille he drops some serious knowledge on copy. Try this thread for starters:

GOLD! - Guru Cults Exposed: The Tactics "Experts" Use To Pull You In & Suck You Dry

Gary Halbert of course:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1484825985/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

And there are other good recommendations here:

10 Free Copywriting Resources to Catapult Revenue (Or Your Money Back)

Thanks for the resources! I've already looked through most of those and have also read books such as Cashvertising, The copywriters handbook, The Robert collier letterbook, and etc. so I think I have a pretty decent understanding of copywriting, it's just I wasn't exactly sure how to "voice" my email copy, if you know what I'm saying. I'm currently going off a few email lists I've subscribed to as swipe files such as "double your dating", and a few others, but I find they seem a little too "spammy". Even my thunderbird is flagging a few of them as spam.

That's why with this campagin I tried to "voice" it as a person-to-person email, but I suppose doing so made it too watered down to capture any interest.

Anyways, I'm going to try to approach the emails with the same voice I used for my FB ads and see how that goes.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

You have a digital book so at the end ask for a review before they close the final page. Hell do it in the middle as well just after a very captivating chapter "Are you enjoying it so far? Please let me know what you think, just click the link below and leave a comment. It will only take a few seconds and I will be eternally grateful

Sincerely

Kiss Arse Fred"

Include a link to a very short form (the smaller the form the better the response so name, city and comment would be perfect plus maybe email as an option.

Bribery also works. "Love books? Here's your chance to win a years free subscription to...... (Audible, Kindle Ann Summers, Victoria's Secret or whatever). Just leave a short review telling us what you thought of our book and you will be automatically entered."

This way when you pick up the email address for the competition you can get them on your email list if they give permission.

Also on the checkout page you can tell them you value their opinion so would like to ask if they wouldn't mind being contacted for their thoughts in a month time. Tell them their opinion will directly influence the "My Secret Success Book Vol II". Use a tick box or radio button to indicate they are happy to be contacted.

If you already have an email list hit them up for reviews as you already have a relationship with them.

Do what loads of Amazon FBA sellers do, find a suitable audience online that would be receptive to your offering, and give some of them the book for free in exchange for a review.

-

This is pretty cool, thanks for your insight. I typically already have their emails (from the free excerpt I give away) so asking for reviews isn't much of a problem. I also offer free future refinements of the book (took this from @Walter Hay -- Sorry, if your username is messed up I'll fix it!) so to ensure their feedback and review is relevant and matters to them. I guess I'll just have to see how buyers respond to them in a week or two.

The book is 240 pages, so I try not to ask them for reviews too early... and the BEST part of the book which ties everything together is around 4/5th of the book so I'm trying my best to time this in a way where they'll get that email AFTER they've passed that portion. Either way, I'll just have to wait and see how the email performs.

I'll also look into that Amazon FBA approach and see how I'll be able to implement it into my business.

Thanks again for your inputs! It means a lot to me.

This should indeed worry you, no money to advertise means no sales.

You very well could be right, how does it compare to similar products in the niche?

Why those prices, and what are you bumping up from?

If it is a quality product, I would suggest going 45 and 90. Very few quality brands use 9s or 7s in their pricing structure. Rather they loudly state; this is what it costs, because this is what it's worth. If you're looking for a bargain, go elsewhere.

My product is currently 24.95, and it indeed is a quality product. I'm lucky to have combined two things together into one to create something that's somewhat new, but most products I find that are like this are at LEAST 50$. I think around $100 is perfectly doable.

TBH I lost a bit of confidence from revising the thing so damn much that I priced it in a way where I made it look like a bargain. Even my email copy is aimed toward that w/ a coupon attached to the very last email in the campaign (...VERY bad I know, but I'm going to fix it ASAP now that I have more confidence in it).

Maybe it's not the amount of pages you're giving, rather the type of pages you're giving out. Could you perhaps be more strategic with that approach?

For instance, I often make the decision to buy a book based on free content within the first page. I guess it's because the author has realised that certain types of up-front info are more attractive than others.

If I feel like the content is gold, yet incomplete, I buy...

However saying all that, 40-50 pages does sound like a lot. It's tough because you're treading a line between showing enough content to persuade leads that your book is worth their cash, and appearing like you're trying too hard.

Maybe try out cutting it down to 10, 15 max. Really think about what pages you should release.

Perhaps a good exercise for you would be to get books that you have, and decide what 5-10 pages you would use to promote them.

For instance The Millionaire Fastlane , which 10 pages would you show to someone to get them to buy it?

I think 10-15 pages might be a little too short, but I definitely can get it down to around 30-35 pages. the first 15-20 pages creates massive interest within the reader and the remaining 15-20 strikes them deep within their massive painpoint. I'll give them a glimpse of their solution and hook them into buying the whole book for more.

The only reason why I decided to give them 46 pages of the book was because I thought hooking them might irritate the reader, or whatever... TBH it's a result of losing confidence in the product from revising it too much :happy:

But either way. Now that I know people are interested and actually want to buy this, I'll optimize my approach to hook the reader better.

Remember you're a customer as well. We all receive marketing emails, which ones do you open?

I think with email that it's all about the headline. A good headline will get me opening it, a bad one will prompt my email server to treat it as spam!

What are your open rates? How do those compare to your click rates?

What sort of split testing are you doing with your emails?

Maybe you can incorporate some kind of drip feeding of content within them?

My open rates are pretty terrible TBH and I think I know why. After this testing phase ends in a few more days I'm going to "revoice" my email copy to mimic my facebook Ad, and exactly as you've said, I'm going to include some attractive content with them to make it less of "buy my book" and more of "Those meant to thrive and succeed are naturally inclined to take action, they aren't afraid to fail", etc. etc. to make them more interesting, enjoyable, and gut wrenching.

Good idea, you need those funds... though low funds do force you to be a bit more creative with solutions ... however you do need a minimum sized war chest in order to gather data.

Completely agree, perhaps that's how I've came this far... I've stretched every last penny and woke up with random days consumed in immense amount of stress which forced me to find the solution to my problems as quickly as possible. HAHA!

But yeah, I've stretched things to the last penny and my only option now is to get into a quick and easy job. Luckily I don't have much overhead, and I'm not too deep into debt so it shouldn't be too bad.

And TBH, it might be a little nice working around PEOPLE for a change. At least for a little while until this business starts taking afloat.

Awesome! Take delight in that, there are people out there who take weeks or months to get two sales, you must be doing something right.

The feeling of having random sales when you least expect it is truly an incredible feeling... Like really. I don't even really know how to express this in any other words. I'm hooked! :innocent: :halo:

Try and make them relevant. If I had a book on gardening, I would know which friends to hand it out to, and they wouldn't be the same people whom I'd give a business book to.

Also tell them why you are giving them the book, be as honest as possible, however massage their egos slightly. We all love giving our opinions (ahem, look at me now!), so show them that you care about what that particular person thinks.

Being given a book with the words; can you read my new book and tell me what you think?

Isn't as powerful as; my new book is about ___ and is aimed at ____ which is why I thought of you. I particularly want to get your opinion on _____.

Awesome, I'll definitely figure something out like this! Luckily, my book caters to most of the type of people in my social circle so I'm sure I'll get something to work.

The only thing is #1, I have a really deep desire to separate my business from my social circle/friends/family, and #2, It might be difficult to sell them the idea of reading a 240 page book.

Without getting too specific, this product caters to those in a certain industry that aren't meant to be readers. They're more likely to party and drink than to read a book.

But that being said, I believe if I can gut-wrenchingly stab at their pain point and offer them a solution (which I'm already doing), they'll read whatever the hell they need to to fix their problem... It's just not a very kind thing to expose them of their specific pain-point.

But whatever, I know I'll figure it out down the road. Thanks for your input!

Hope this goes well for you! Keep up the enthusiasm, keep checking your strategy and keep testing.

___

On a side note, I don't want to sound like a dick, however I am a bit OCD when it comes to grammar and spelling, (I self flagellate and say 20 Hail Marys if I catch myself using bad grammar, and I'm not even Catholic!) and I've noticed you've made a few recurring errors.

Hopefully you have had your book proofread... I know posting on a forum is very different from writing a book, however mistakes are easily made.

Any mistakes in your free content will not be forgiven, and you'll lose the sale.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I am by no means perfect when it comes to grammar and diction, it's just I notice these things... :)

Good luck, can't wait for the next update!

I'm open to criticism! I don't take that in the wrong way at all. I usually post on this forum after my brain is fried from doing tasks throughout the whole day and I don't bother to spend too much time rereading and revising my posts... It makes my brain hurt :rofl::rofl:

But if it's reoccurring, and I'm doing it unknowingly, I'm open to your suggestions in correcting it. please feel free to PM to help me improve my grammer, I'm always open to learn more. :smile2:

As for proofreading, I didn't get to that point yet. I wanted to throw up the product as is (...with it's 9 or 10 revisions) and see how the market responds to it first before I spend any more money or time on the product. Seeing how it's doing somewhat okay (even though it's still a bit too early to tell), I'm going to be looking into professional editors that can polish the product way better than I can.

I've also notified the readers that the product is still in it's early stages and WILL be revised in the future. For now, all my buyers have the option to get free revisions of the product at no cost in the future.

TBH, I'm not very experienced as a writer. I consider myself somewhat well read, but this is my first book that I've ever written. Writing is an awesome skill to have and I'm always open to getting better but I prefer not to spend the majority of my time writing (developing the product), and instead I'd rather work on scaling the business through marketing. In the future I plan to always have a few editors and writers polish and finalize my works so I can work on the other tasks I enjoy more.

Thank you again for your input! They really mean a lot to me and I'll definitely try to keep this updated somewhat frequently! (and thanks for the reps!! :smile2:)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize how LONGG this post was. Sometimes I get lost in what I'm saying and I lose track of how much I'm writing. Sorry! I'll keep this in mind in the future.

Last edited:

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Hi there.

Here's a little background about me: After getting fanatically into copywrting by reading a few of Gary Halbert's books, I quit my job (while getting fired from the other for... having the other job...), I ran full force into starting an info-product business.

Long story short, a business in which I thought would take 3 months took me 2.5 years because of mistakes + learning web design, practicing copy, writing a 240 page book, learning cover design, and etc. but I finally managed to get my product out in the marketplace.

Anyways, I'm currently running tests @ 10$ a day through FB, and while it's only nearing the end of the second day, I'm a little anxious and worried about how to troubleshoot my site & funnel if I can't manage to get a decent number of sales. (mostly because I'm running out of money.)

Now I'm currently getting a pretty good amount of leads (or so I think) @ around 1.50-1.60-ish per lead, but I only managed to get one sale.

Here are my thoughts: My FB copy is getting pretty good responses so I think I'm doing okay at creating the excitement and desire... But maybe my sales are lacking because people don't really know who I am?

There's quite a lot of variables here, and there's still a lot of things I don't know in scaling a business so I'm hoping someone with the experience of breaking through this type of plateau could weigh in their thoughts.

As a side note, here are some problems I think I have, and this is what I'm planning to do to fix it:
1) I priced my product way too low for it's perceived value. (I really shouldn't have, I know, but when you're revising a book for the 8th or 9th time you start to kind of lose interest and faith in it :inpain:)

But anyways, after my one week pre-launch sale ends I'm bumping up the price to maybe 47 or 89.

2) I don't have any "about me" kind of pages besides the short one in my landing page. I think adding more background knowledge might be able to create more warmth and trust to increase sales

3) I give out 40-50 pages of free content from my book as downloadable content for my leads, perhaps it's too much and a little "too complete". I'm thinking about cutting it down to maybe 30-35 pages and leaving the last few pages as "cliff hangers". This way when they get to the end of the excerpt they feel a deep need and desire to finish what they're reading.

Hope this post isn't too long, I kind of lose track of when to stop lol.

But anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've dealt with the scenario of having leads but no sales. :thumbsup::smile2:

(Oh and also! this is kind of a #4, but I'm also thinking about getting my friends to review the product so I can get at least 3 or 4 reviews up to create more trust... END. :smile2:)

edit: added a smiley face :smile2:
2nd edit: I couldn't create this thread on chrome and had to use firefox instead, what's going on? :eek:

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Hey bud,

It seems like you're in the right path! You already got 2 sales of an info product that sells for $47, so that's $94, and your ad spend is $20 - $30 (at 10 bucks a day)... Not too shabby!

I'd scale up that campaign a bit to say $15 a day and see what happens, and i'd definitely run retargeting ads. Messenger ads and bots have been working pretty nice for me lately, you should try that as well.

Also, why just selling a book for $47? Why don't you sell a video course for $197 or even a higher ticket item like coaching or something like that?

Hope this helps!

- L.G.

Well technically it's not selling at 47$ YET. lol. As a novice mistake, I've priced it too low and it's selling at 24.95. I'll fix this after my pre-launch phase ends at the end of this week.

I do plan on selling another high ticket item after this. I already have a general idea of what it's going to be. I'm going to find an editor to revise this first book while I work on the next product... But even before that I need to create 3- 4 more ads for retargeting, fix my email copy, cut down my excerpt a bit, and make sure I'll be able to make my credit card payments by getting into this new job ASAP. Lol.

Still have TONS of work to do :inpain:

But anyways, thanks for your input! It's always appreciated.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Alright, well here's a quick update:

I picked up a job pretty quick to cover my monthly payments, but after a week or two I decided to get back into bartending. I'll easily be able to cover my monthly expenses and have more to invest towards my business with working just 2 or 3 days a week.

I'm also currently working on splitting my current product into 3 parts. By doing so I'll be able to potentially make 3x-4x my current revenue. 60,000 words isn't a hard read for someone that enjoys reading, but I think for the average person that has never read a book in their life (or doesn't read too regularly) it could be a bit too much.

I'm splitting this book into 3 parts, a 100-page product, another 100-page product, and a 60 to 70 page product. I'll price each product accordingly around either the 50$ range or 100$ range depending on how the market reacts to it.

I already have the content for it, so I'm hoping it'll only take a month per book, but I always miss deadlines.. so we'll see. :happy:

After I finish up the first book I'm also going to look into finding an editor. I've avoided this before because I was always on a budget, but now that I'm in a situation where I can afford it, it's a must-have.

I also believe my marketing was a home run. within just a week I was getting a ton of shares, comments, and likes. All I really need to scale now is hone in the product to better fit my audience with more upsellable opportunities.

Exciting things are coming! :smile2::clap:::thumbsup:

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
As an update: This is the third day running ads, and I just made my second sale.

Seeing how people are still buying with no reviews, I think this is a good sign.

I've handed out my book to a few friends and relatives for reviews, but tbh I can't bank on them because I know they're going to lag. I'm going to hand them out to more people I know in asking for reviews so hopefully the numbers will work in my favor and I'll be able to get least 2 or 3 reviews ASAP.

I'm also most likely going to pick up a super easy job hosting at a restaurant for 20$an hour for a bit to shave off some of my CC debt so I can invest more into my ads.

But regardless, some things I need to work on:
-cutting the excerpt short and leaving a cliff hanger (this should be super quick because I was already planning on do this before so I already have an unfinalized copy of the excerpt that's shorter)
-making 3 or 4 more ads for retargeting purposes
-Creating a more "homey & trust vibey" home page + About me page.
-And again, once my pre-launch sale ends, I'm bumping up the price to either 47 or 89 (need to test both) because the current price for my percieved value of the product is wayyyy too low.

Thanks again for your inputs! I can't wait what'll happen once my retargeting is all set up!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.