The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting a 1-800 or 1-888 number directed to a cell phone.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Considering im launching a startup i want to have a toll free number to look larger than i am. I am always moving around though and not at the desk, can i get a 1-800 or 1-888 number and have that directed to maybe a prepaid cell phone or something.... Also what are my estimated costs per month. thank you and i appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
yes you can do that. its fairly easy. theres a company I have used in the past for just this situation called ringcentral.com

I dont know how much it would cost you to have it forwarded to a prepaid phone as it would depend on the plan you get. but it is possible.

I think we paid like 10 or 15 bucks a month for the 800 line and then at least 25-100 a month on the prepaid line depending on how buzy we were and how many clients we had that month.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Yawn.... life is so easy with the internet. Thank you Carrie, and if anyone has any ideas on best prepaid as far as service and deals id love to hear it.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
the biz that used that set up used tmobile. and that is who I still personally prefer.

they have several plan set ups depending on which phone its for I use the $1 a day + 10c a minute. it costs $1 to activate the phone for the day, then its 10c a minute all day untill 7pm. then from 7pm to i think 7am its unlimited. this worked for us personally because my husband would go away for work and be gone for days at a time he would work all day and call me after 7 and we could talk for any legnth of time for free.

now that he isnt working away and the plan that we used for the company from t mobile was the 15c min prepaid. it was a straight 15c a min no matter what time. no daily fee.

tmobile has a set up where you can auto refill $25 or even $10 at a time as needed automatically. so whenever your minutes got low it would use your credit card to auto refill it for you and send you a text.

from what I have heard tho that new straighttalk from walmart is very reasonable. its $45 a month for unlimited everything. text and talk. if I had it to do over again and was getting a new cell that I had to use all the time, I would probably go with the walmart unlimited one..

Hope this helps!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I have always used gotvmail which is now grasshopper.com. Others here use kall8.com

HsrJames

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 29, 2009
Akron, Ohio
I have a t-mobile prepaid plan 1500 minutes and text and a little data for $30/month. I have an account with calltrackingmetrics which is $6/month for a 1800 number and $.05/minute for the redirects.

eslater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 16, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I used Grasshopper for a while and it was a great service.

My only complaint was the initial setup and having to record all the messages and configuring the extensions etc...I would have someone else do that next time and I think they offer that as an additional service.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
HsrJames wow sounds like a good package i think im going to do everything you do thats very cheap.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
1500 min for 30 bucks is cheap but I can tell you there were many many many months that we used ALOT more then 1500 minutes.

IMO i still think the unlimited for 45 is the way to go.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
I have used ringcentral for 800 #s, the service the first replier mentioned. I would recommend them as well, the service was super easy to set up and use & their CSRs were US-based and very knowledgeable and friendly.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Kall8.com - $2 one time setup fee and $2 a month

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Kall8.com - $2 one time setup fee and $2 a month

But also $0.06 a minute. :)

Don't worry $0.06 a minute is very low, hard to run up a high bill unless you're expecting alot of long calls for your business.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
well for the soft launch im thinking of doing 200-400 per day, not sure how many will actually call out of that amount but its just me with a cell phone ill send out 200 emails a day to my list and see what happens. Id say almost 90 percent will click through though and use the site as ive spoken to these people 1 on 1 but maybe not 1 will call i think that would mean i did a good job on the site hahah.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
For those of us who already have some call forwarding, which place will show up on your ID as the 1-800 number? (so I know that those calls are coming from that number)

You can have a redirect that will put the call through to you and you see the number calling the 800#. Or you can have it show on your phone, like it does mine, that its from the 800 number so you know which place is calling. I have mine programmed per site so I know how to answer.

You can also get an immediate email with the caller phone number and the VM, a link to listen on your phone or listen in the inbox, or have the voicemail transcribed for you.

very very flexible.

(this is with grasshopper.com)

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
oh lighthouse i didnt even realize i could see where the phone call is coming from, i have an unlimited plan now, i can just have the call forwarded to my normal cell phone as long as i can see its coming from the site, thats cool.c

ageofz

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 30, 2011
Austin, Texas
yes you can do that. its fairly easy. theres a company I have used in the past for just this situation called ringcentral.com

I dont know how much it would cost you to have it forwarded to a prepaid phone as it would depend on the plan you get. but it is possible.

I think we paid like 10 or 15 bucks a month for the 800 line and then at least 25-100 a month on the prepaid line depending on how buzy we were and how many clients we had that month.

I don't recommend using Ringcentral. I tried them out, and the caller would hear 5 rings before I hear my 1st ring.

The best 800 call forwarding provider that I've used was my1voice (now eVoice) or Onebox. I deal with large call volumes, so OneBox is best for me (I use over 30k minutes a month). They are really reliable. The caller will hear 2 rings and on the 3rd you will hear the first on your cell phone. So be aware of that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.