The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Get your hands out of your poop!"

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
50% of infants put their hands in their poop when having their diaper changed. Is your kid one of them?

Mine is. He'd put his hands in his poop all the time (and if he wasn't doing that he was scratching the crap out of his stomach and legs because of his eczema). I'd have to use one of my hands to hold his legs, one to wipe his poop, leaving none to control his hands.

Guess where those poopy hands go? Their ears, eyes, nose, mouth, wall, clothes...etc.

We know one family who's kid lost his hearing because poop got in their kid's ears. It's pretty serious stuff.

Nothing we tried worked. We tried giving him toys, singing songs, giving him a bottle (as @LightHouse suggested)...nope, still poopy hands.

I asked local moms what they do - many of them said they put their kid on the floor and step on their kid's hands or kneel on their chest. I'm not doing that to my baby!

So, sick of trying to control my kid's hands and tired of the extreme stress that was changing his massive poopy diapers, I put together a small prototype to shield his hands from his neitherregions. I call it...the Poop Shield!

I'm looking for a few customers to try my prototype. It's ugly, but it works. I don't stress about changing time anymore, and neither will you.

For a small fee of 9.99, I'll ship you your own Poop Shield! PM me your order and address, and I'll give you my email for Paypal. I've also got pictures.

ps - @PeeVee already bought one!
pss - @LightHouse @PeteLife yeah...this is happening

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
I have this exact problem with my 15 month old son. I've thought of something similar and also another idea (imagine plush Velcro handcuffs with a collapsible separator).

Ultimately, I just sit on the floor, put him between my out-stretched legs, and put my feet on is splayed out arms. He doesn't mind at all.

My wife doesn't need to do this, but she is good!

Anyway, I think your product has potential. If the Peepee Teepee (or whatever it is called) can make it, then so can this.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Thanks @Felix II for the feedback! I'm sure everyone who's had this problem and has been as frustrated as me has thought of creating something to solve it.

Like a lot of baby stuff, we end up buying more than we actually need (especially with our first kid). For me, this is an absolute lifesaver, but for someone else it might be totally optional or useless. However, given that according to my poll 50% of parents actually have this problem, I'm hoping the market is big enough that they'd be willing to purchase a relatively cheap solution to mitigate what could be a serious health problem (if the baby got the poop in their eyes/mouth/ears etc) before birth. I think my product would be perfect for baby showers and pre-baby gifts, as well as for people who have kids that can't be controlled any other way like mine.

BTW I just created @PeeVee prototype, which I'll ship tomorrow. It's an upgraded, slightly less ghetto version of my own prototype, with some soft padding around all the edges, better fasteners between parts, and more careful shaping (achieved with an exacto knife while watching Grey's Anatomy with my wife :) )

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Marketplace post approved, good luck!

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Fortunately my 14-month-old has no interest in poops but the idea is very interesting. I could see lots of sales with a Google/FB PPC campaign that drops to a great landing page.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Do you have a website? I am a stay at home dad of 8 kids. I have been doing it for almost 11 years now. I have changed diapers every day of my adult life it seems. Although I am quite efficient these days, as I can change a messy diaper in under 20-30 seconds, that does seem like a problem with the under 1 year olds.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I don't - I've shipped a few prototypes (Thanks @bensonj !) and am getting feedback on the utility and design. I'm also talking to an industrial designer who is going to take what I have and make it more functional, portable and appropriate for mass production based on the feedback I am/will get. Once he does his high quality 3d renderings, I'll be putting up a landing page to get preorders and guage interest (like @Vick did). If there is enough interest, I'll go to production.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
@throttleforward .... I just thought..OMG...can you imagine an Instagram and Pinterest campaign ? :woot:

Yeah! :) I can't wait to see what the 3d drawings look like - I think I can get moms (and dads) pretty excited about this. Especially since half of my survey respondents said this was a problem for them. I still can't believe people put their kids on the floor and step on their hands to avoid this problem!!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
industrial designer
Good move. I spoke with the same this morning...he's also a patent attorney...these guys know their shit !

I didn't realize how complicated patents can get in the U.S. Then if you want to patent to sell abroad, it really gets interesting.

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
I deal with the same thing with my 2 year old daughter, always wanting to touch the diaper/butt. Nice job taking action
throttleforward

The biggest problem here is if your kid is going to daycare or doing anything without hovering over them the amount of germs and shit they are touching will blow your mind.

What I have been doing it trying to teach her some basic rules to keep her out of trouble.

Rule 1. Don't touch the poopy!
Rule 2. Hot don't touch (when around the stove, fireplace etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
The biggest problem here is if your kid is going to daycare

After I get the redesign back, they are the first folks I'm going to.

No only do I use my poop shield on every diaper change because it's highly effective (and reduces my stress from "ahhhhhh hurry up hurry up!" to no stress at all) but it also actually speeds up the total time for each diaper change. Plus, the parts themselves don't get in the poop so there is no cleaning required. I think daycares would like this.

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
Good idea! A few weeks back on Shark Tank there was a "bicycle" company that didn't target bike shops but went after daycare/child learning centers and sold them bikes along with a training program to teach kids how to ride. I thought this was a good move because the competition to get into the bike shops is huge with well established relationships. Probably they same with baby stores.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This headline could have been written for my household a year ago. Good idea. Make it happen. Just the little sampling from the responses here tell you that you are on the right path.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
This headline could have been written for my household a year ago. Good idea. Make it happen. Just the little sampling from the responses here tell you that you are on the right path.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's awesome how things are working so far...I had a huge problem, I solved it myself, I showed other people, they said they had the same problem and wanted a prototype...after years of trying to force square pegs into round holes it's nice to be doing something that makes so much sense. The process is actually enjoyable and feels easier than anything else I've done to date.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
50% of infants put their hands in their poop when having their diaper changed. Is your kid one of them?

Mine is. He'd put his hands in his poop all the time (and if he wasn't doing that he was scratching the crap out of his stomach and legs because of his eczema). I'd have to use one of my hands to hold his legs, one to wipe his poop, leaving none to control his hands.

Guess where those poopy hands go? Their ears, eyes, nose, mouth, wall, clothes...etc.

We know one family who's kid lost his hearing because poop got in their kid's ears. It's pretty serious stuff.

Nothing we tried worked. We tried giving him toys, singing songs, giving him a bottle (as @LightHouse suggested)...nope, still poopy hands.

I asked local moms what they do - many of them said they put their kid on the floor and step on their kid's hands or kneel on their chest. I'm not doing that to my baby!

So, sick of trying to control my kid's hands and tired of the extreme stress that was changing his massive poopy diapers, I put together a small prototype to shield his hands from his neitherregions. I call it...the Poop Shield!

I'm looking for a few customers to try my prototype. It's ugly, but it works. I don't stress about changing time anymore, and neither will you.

For a small fee of 9.99, I'll ship you your own Poop Shield! PM me your order and address, and I'll give you my email for Paypal. I've also got pictures.

ps - @PeeVee already bought one!
pss - @LightHouse @PeteLife yeah...this is happening

I never got the notification for this thread.

Anyway did the 50% metric come from our two kids? LOL.

Hopefully you get some great feedback, I'd love to see it work!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
LOL no it did not - I ran a poll on Babycenter. Got some great feedback from that and from the prototypes that are currently on the street (including from nannies around DC, who seems to operate a vast underground network around here).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.