The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Get a Provisional Utility Patent for $65

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
When @Likwid24 was on the Mind Your Business podcast on Saturday, something he said triggered a realization on my part.

Did you know you can get a provisional patent for $65?

1. Sal talked about using RocketLawyer.com to do-it-yourself the provisional patent. Well, you can get a free 7-day trial from RocketLawyer. So, you can get the provisional patent paperwork done for FREE during the free trial by using their provisional patent wizard.

2. Then, you file the paperwork yourself with the USPTO. For a micro entity (which is you, as an individual or sole proprietor) the new filing fee for provisional patents for micro entities is $65

So there you go. You can get your idea protected for up to one year by a provisional patent, giving you patent pending title, for $65.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/qs/ope/fee010114.htm

I would highly recommend reading a great self help book on patents and trademarks before you do the patent wizard, and note that provisional patents are only available for utility patents and not design patents.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Stephen Keys book is pretty good to help you with Provisional Patents

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Coincidentally, he (Stephen Key) will be on Mind Your Business a week from Saturday!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
In advance of the Stephen Key "One Simple Idea" interview this weekend on Mind Your Business, we:

1. Created a RocketLawyer.com account with a free 7 day trial
2. Created a FREE provisional patent filing at RocketLawyer using their patent wizard and
3. now we will file it with the USPTO using a Micro Entity entitlement (I will explain this on the show Saturday.)

My net cost to get a new provisional patent together for our company to protect our invention? $65. All in. $65. One year provisional patent, and we can now bring the product to market without worrying about someone stealing the idea.

We have completely demystified the provisional patent process, and I will talk more about this on the MYB show on Saturday with Stephen Key.

However, I just wanted to practice what I preached. Rather than just talking about it, I did it. Took about a half hour. RocketLawyer's wizard takes you step by step through the process, using specific examples.

The only thing I am waiting on now is I just put the word out to my Facebook friends to find someone that can look at a photo and from it create two hand drawn, 2-dimensional line drawn images I can submit along with the provisional patent application.

That's it. You don't even need a CAD drawing. Hand drawn drawing is fine.

Protect your idea. Provisional patent as simple as $65 and a half hour of your time.

Note that the one year clock starts the day you file the provisional patent with the USPTO. At that time, you can then use the term PATENT PENDING. So, in our case, we will wait until we absolutely MUST expose the item publicly. We will sit on the completed application and file it only when it becomes necessary to file it, extending the 365 day provisional patent protection as long as possible.

What we will most likely do is file it the first time we either :

1. present it to a company to license it or
2. launch a product under the patent pending at retail or online

So... even though we have everything ready to go, and the document drafted for free from RocketLawyer, there is no immediate rush to file it. Nobody knows about it yet, other than our manufacturer.

Last edited:

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
I went through this process the past 2 days,

It gets a little confusing when I went to the submission part, since you can only upload one document at a time for each part that they need (Specifications, Drawings, SB16 form, and SB15a form) and Rocketlawyer's provisional patent wizard gives you one PDF file of everything.

I found a video that explained how to create each file individually that helped alot. He also has a dropbox folder with all the files, its located here : (
). I followed the instructions and it solved everything. Hope this helps whoever is submitting a provisional patent!

Ben Taylor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 7, 2015
Thanks for this! This is something that I'll be pursuing once I finish finals this semester because it's simply not worth putting off any longer. :)

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.