The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Geographic website blocking

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Reading through all of the advertising threads, I see one can pick and choose where ads are run based on geographical boundaries. Is there a way to do this for websites as well? If there are certain areas in the US where I don't want my website to show up at all, can I block it?

Xavier X

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I don't think you can choose where your website "shows up," with complete precision.
However, you can limit access to your website for many people in those areas.

Typically, you do this by blocking entire IP ranges.
Not a bunch of individual IP addresses, but a single address representing all IP addresses in its range.
That's equivalent to blocking emails from all @yahoo.com addresses, instead of blocking 1 million yahoo emails individually.

If you want to block the state of Maine, because you hate moose and they love moose, so you don't see eye to eye:

1. Look up IP ranges delivered by ISPs in Maine.
2. Go to your website and paste those in your IP block list.

If your site is built on Wordpress, it's pretty easy to implement this. Just don't expect a complete block.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I know it sounds super shady, but I'm just trying to reduce my chances of accidentally violating a noncompete until the time limit runs out.

gebu

New Contributor
Jan 1, 2017
Germany
Blocking by state is gonna be tough (for example it's hard to filter out users that have a mobile connection), but if you only want to block countries you should put Cloudflare.com in front of your site. Their firewall is very easy to use.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Speedway Pass
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
your post leads to this search
website blocking certain geographic locations - Google Search
leads to this article
Geo-blocking - Wikipedia
leads to this search
geo blocking certain US states - Google-Suche
leads to this article
Using Geo Targeting To Block Visitors by IP Address & Location | Geolifyhttps://geolify.com/using-geo-targeting-to-block-visitors-by-ip-address-location/
leads to this business/software/web app
Create URL Redirects & Content Based On Geolocationhttps://geolify.com/
that allows to modify your website for specific geographics such as adresses, cities, states, countries or whatever you need for this price
pricingGeolify | Geolify

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom