The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Game of Thrones Season 8 Thread (SPOILERS)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I enjoyed the episode but wasn't as "wowed" as I thought I'd be based on the hype and the time we waited. My main grievance has to do with Arya's actions.

Arya was training all this time and seemed to have super powers. Now she gets her a$$ handed to her by zombies. Also, it seems like her powers are more like slight-of-hand tricks. She doesn't disappear and reappear. She hides behind bookshelves and hopes no one hears her. She could barely sneak past the dead...wtf?! And why did they build up that weapon she wanted so bad only to toss it to the side after 10 seconds of use?

At the end I was disappointed by HOW Arya defeated the Night King. There's a whisp of wind, one of the White Walkers looks over his shoulder, and the next thing we see is Arya flying through the air at the Night King. I guess this was supposed to be her arrival at the last second, which kind of makes Theon's death a little more purposeful. But direct attacks aren't exactly what the Faceless Men are known for (at least in the television show). I wanted Bran to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Arya just in time to stab the Night King. Same outcome, better portrayal in my opinion.

The dark was annoying, but I got over it. There weren't as many big deaths as I thought there would be. A couple of the deaths were fairly emotional and there were plenty of tense moments.

I'm hoping they make up for some of the flaws in this episode in the final battle, but I wasn't completely disappointed. I really liked the episode overall. It just felt like there were a few missed opportunities that could've really set it over the top.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Snooze fest filled with filler...

So many great things are getting anti-climatic demises, first 6 years of the Night King, defeated in 1 episode. ANother dragon killed by sheer stupidity. Why not fly the dragons at NIGHT and destroy Euron's fleet? Oh, that would be using your brain and constitute actual strategic thinking.

The writing in this season is terrible, like you can tell they're just trying to close up shop and go home.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I got annoyed with The Dothraki running to their deaths while Jon and Danni sat on fire breathing dragons watching was frustrating, go and light up that front line of the dead with the dragons dammit!

Dothraki: So while we're charging the front line, the dragons will fire a path for us? Help us in the battle?
Dani/Jon: Uh no. We're gonna sit and watch.
Dothraki: {frowns... proceeds to slit his own throat}

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What a cluster F*ck. Was this episode directed by Michael Bay?

Soooo... basically you could have taken one dragon and destroyed the city at anytime... like in season 6 or 7... why did you even need an army when you had 3!! dragons? You could have killed Cersei any time you wanted.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
  • They fooled me in foreshadowing deaths that never happened. (I would have bet a million bucks Breanne was marked for death) I also assumed that everyone who drank in the hall (the hours before) would survive, those who did not, would die.
  • They gave a resolution -- didn't let us hang until the next episode.
  • Did a great job in showing the utter chaos and annihilation that was all but a forgone conclusion, until Arya donned her cape and flew in from the Castle turret.
  • Tyrion/Sansa -- you felt a connection there where you never thought there would be.
  • Watching a little girl get crushed by a giant -- shows that the writers where willing to break rules. (No I don't like children getting crushed, lol).

DISLIKES
  • To dark, couldn't see anything. (But it makes filming a lot of cheaper!)
  • Poor strategy from the Winterfell folks. Who designed the battle strategy, the little Mormont girl?
  • Inadequate deployment of the 2 dragons, instead of attacking the wights, let's spend half the battle riding off into the blizzard!
  • Dothraki, what a waste? Who thought this was a good idea?
  • Arya's sudden flying skills and/or invisibility cloak.
  • I never understood Bran's importance. He did nothing in the battle or never had any impact in all seasons other than exposing Jon's true identity. Why was he a threat to the Knight King?
  • Did Jon's wolf die in the early Dothraki battle? I wanted to see him more.
  • Stupid trope that exists in all bad guy films: "I've won big and now I'm going to take my time and gloat before I kill you" -- boom, bad guy gets killed by some sudden intervention. (A little bit like Deus Ex Machina)

the last few minutes of buildup to the Night King's death reminds me of a jewelry commercial

Ugh, makes me wanna walk off the side of a cliff. Or in GOT lore, do a King Tommen out the window.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I finally watched Ep5 four days late...

And damn, it just gets worse and worse.

I'm actually quite surprised that I don't seem to have a minority opinion on this here, or even with the general population.

The picture above with the segmented horse best describes this season and how they truly F*cked it up.

The writers of the series could probably say that Dany wanted Cersei to see the destruction, but there was still too little character development to buy into that.

It's sad to see that by far one of the best TV series in history ends like that, with many fans of the series disappointed by the sudden change from a well-thought out, well-paced story into yet another rushed, gimmicky TV show.

Yes, it seems like they suddenly departed from the strengths that made GOT, GOT.

In the first X seasons there was very few plot holes and a ton of strategy and political intrigue.

In the last season, it's one plot hole and one inconsistency after another. Suddenly there is no strategy, no political maneuvering, nothing!

The reason why I DO NOT watch Hollywood movies (or superhero movies) is because I hate having my intelligence offended. (Dropping bombs in space, Star Wars for example.)

GOT never offended my intelligence until this season.

• Now suddenly ONE DRAGON can destroy Kings Landing with no challenge. The army was inconsequential. As Kenric said, why bother with all the army gathering when you could have just shown up with 3 dragons?
  • Now suddenly the Scorpions have ZERO effect and can be destroyed within 19 minutes. That's great, but where was the STRATEGY to make that happen? What was different than the prior episode where it was EASY to kill one dragon? OMG, Dani suddenly learned to quickly veer up, right, down, and left?
  • Strongly developed characters suddenly stopped acting like the character they developed over X seasons. For instance, when Tyrion was arguing with Jaime as he was held captive: He was trying to convince Cersei to surrender and escape to Pentos. Wuh? In what prior seasons (Literally hundred of hours of material) do we ever get the impression that Cersie would just willingly walk away without a fight? And that Tyrion believed she would do such a thing?
  • Dani's sudden shift from reasoned emotional leader to tyrant -- again, we saw hints that should could be emotionally volatile (like who isn't, we're human!) but this? Slaughter of children when the victory is already at hand? WTF?
  • Suddenly the dragons fire no longer acted like a flame thrower, but like a laser that had the power to take down CASTLES and rip boats a part! If you flame-thrower a cement structure (or a boat for that matter) the cement structure would not come down, and the boat would not rip a apart. But now the dragon has laser-fire breath.
The common thread among the famous as well as the infamous is a dominant meaning-and-purpose. And likewise, the common thread amongst the SCRIPTED sheeple is they have no meaning.Instead, hyperreality babysits—this is why we have a society addicted to Game of Thrones and whoever wins some stupid singing contest.

--MJ DeMarco in Unscripted

GOT is the only show/movie in years that I've watched with some interest.

The reason?

Character development, interconnected stories and thick plots where you truly feel like you're watching real people with real motives within the fantasy itself. And you knew that NOT ONE character was SAFE and could die at any moment. Within the fantasy structure, GOT mimicked how a real life in this fantasy could unfold with plotting characters, political strategies, and other unexpected events that throw wrenches into plans.

Most importantly, it NEVER offended my intelligence within the frame of the fantasy environment.

In this season, all of that disappeared and turned into one bad movie.

lol to be fair, we're here heavily criticizing game of thrones after many seasons of built up trust.
Sheeple would convince themselves GOT is still good.

Yes, viewers who love GOT lore for the reasons I mentioned above would surely be disappointed in this season. Just feels like a bad superhero flick with zero in-fantasy plausibility.

It goes to show that there are no such thing as market saturation, if you provide a very superior product.

GOT attracted an audience because it was different, a fantasy concept that challenged your mind. No one was safe, and the audience loved it. In common Hollywood movies, you know the main character(s) is safe and won't die. In GOT, you never knew who was next.

A total let down, to the point, it feels like betrayal to the series, to the characters and the stories they developed, and to the people who sat through hours and hours of it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It was a real mess of an episode, and too dark, agreed.

They had an army the likes the planet has never seen, ruled by a queen that has literal fire breathing dragons, and the entire army was dispatched in minutes.

I was beyond disappointed that the best warrior races were portrayed as little more than fodder. The Dothraki ran to their death in seconds (then ran away!?). The unsullied stood their ground like a proper army but basically just fell line after line. Yeah they were fighting the dead but they also had weapons that evened that playing field.

Then you had the opposite problem with the main characters - all them shown multiple times being basically drowned in opponents and shown to be on the verge of losing multiple times, but they lived? Huh? I'm pretty sure we literally saw Tarly on his back with walkers attacking/biting him as he writhed like a turtle on his back and he's good to go by the episode's end?

So we had the best army ever put together dispatched in seconds and individual fighters who were still standing at the battle's end. It was just... hard to swallow.

I'd have FAR preferred to see a proper army vs army fight up front, have the night king blast a hole in a flank, and then have the heroes taking on smaller packs of stragglers who break through the lines. Some 1 vs 3-4-5 stuff. Not this 1 vs dozens nonsense inside the gates.

The dragons in the blizzard was just nonsense. Made no sense.

Arya's sneaking around was cringe-worthy. Apparently she can run around inches from the dead without being heard but a drop of blood is like a dinner bell? Huh?

I also expected her to use SOME kind of faceless-men trickery at some point but she seems to have forgotten it entirely since leaving the town she learned it in. The weapon use she had was cool for the 10 seconds she used it but it appears the only reason she had a weapon made in the previous episode was to give the producers a reason to have her topless in the proceeding sex scene...

I actually didn't mind her taking out the night king but leaping over the undead generals like a gymnast on a trampoline to do it was nonsense.

I also didn't mind the main battle only taking place in one episode (I liked that, actually) but again - it was a hot mess for me.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Just watched Episode 3. It was a hot mess.

A hot dark mess. The first 3/4 of the episode you could not even tell what was going on. A few minutes of the chaos would have been good for cinematic effect, but 40 min was a garbage heap.

I disagree about the Last Jedi though. She has been training for like 6 years, some of that under a god none the less.

Overall not great. Episode 2 was fantastic though. I have no idea where they are going to take this now. Frankly I am less interested in it though, but we shall see.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The HBO writers ran out of source material and it shows in this season.

The writing is not what it was.

The latest episode was disappointing. The dialogue this season is mediocre (name one good Tyrion Lannister quote). Overall, they're trying to wrap up a show that's not ready to be wrapped up.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
The common thread among the famous as well as the infamous is a dominant meaning-and-purpose. And likewise, the common thread amongst the SCRIPTED sheeple is they have no meaning.Instead, hyperreality babysits—this is why we have a society addicted to Game of Thrones and whoever wins some stupid singing contest.

--MJ DeMarco in Unscripted

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'll see myself out :)

Tbh I think there is something to take away from this and the whole thread, now that we have such a bad ending to GoT.

I see comments in this thread from some very succesful fastlaners who I assume spends a lot of time working on their business every single day.

A lot of these people all give the impression from other comments around the forum, that they are not a fan of mindless consumption, which a lot of movies, tv shows etc. enforces from a lot of people.

But the interesting thing is how GoT, in a time where I feel every other production is a series with 5 or more seasons, managed to grab the attention and interest from people who usually couldn't care less for some tv show or how some movie ends.

It goes to show that there are no such thing as market saturation, if you provide a very superior product.

Now without the ending in mind, Game of Thrones have really shown to be a very unique product in its category.

I'm F*KING furious about the last season to be honest, but I admire how a series with so many seasons managed to keep the attention span of its fans for so many years.

Whatever market, industry or category your product/company is, remember that it is not saturated necessarily. But you better damn make sure that you standout and provide something your competitors don't.

Put in the hours and effort and don't think you can slack because its "fine" - it might end up like season 8 of GoT.

Game of Thrones will now be the only fiction books I ever read before.
I NEED a proper ending to this madness..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It was a bad ending to a bad season, so at least they were consistent...

If it's been one thing I've been saying this season it's that I didn't mind the major plot points - only their execution (rushed, etc), but this last episode... wow.

I won't comment on everything, but I will mention the worst offense IMHO: Bran being made King.

Bran being King makes absolutely no sense. At all. Not even a little. He hasn't been built up to be wise or useful or even insightful at all to my recollection.

He went from a largely irrelevant child, running for his life, to becoming the three eyed raven, where he basically became a mute encyclopedia. He's never once shown to have great judgement and he's never shown to be terribly useful. He basically sits around, waiting for history to happen, then gets snarky about how he already knew about it.

The writers had an omniscient character and they used him, to the best of my knowledge, exactly zero times to that end. His far sight was never tactically advantageous in any major battle and his knowledge was never used for any inspiring purpose.

Honestly, if he died falling from the window in season 1, NOTHING about the entire story would have changed. That's the definition of a bad character.

But yeah, sure, let's make the guy who never talks and never adds anything useful to any situation the King. Sure... Apparently he's going to use his super powers to look for a dragon that's no longer a threat? Cool. Super useful King stuff, that.

Okay I lied - I have to mention Arya as well. Never have I seen such a useless character get so much screen time. She may have killed the Night King but that was an entirely undeserved victory and total mockery. Even after she did this though, she kept getting prominent screen time for no purpose. She's a trained assassin with faceless man abilities that have been totally forgotten about. Honestly, the most truthful thing the writers did for her this season was trample her underfoot in the riot - a perfect metaphor for her character this season.

Also, it's pretty hard to ignore how perfectly they set her up for a spin-off series. I don't think anything's been confirmed to that effect but it's pretty hard to ignore how perfect and obvious that setup was...

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I enjoyed the episode but wasn't as "wowed" as I thought I'd be based on the hype and the time we waited. My main grievance has to do with Arya's actions.

Arya was training all this time and seemed to have super powers. Now she gets her a$$ handed to her by zombies. Also, it seems like her powers are more like slight-of-hand tricks. She doesn't disappear and reappear. She hides behind bookshelves and hopes no one hears her. She could barely sneak past the dead...wtf?! And why did they build up that weapon she wanted so bad only to toss it to the side after 10 seconds of use?

At the end I was disappointed by HOW Arya defeated the Night King. There's a whisp of wind, one of the White Walkers looks over his shoulder, and the next thing we see is Arya flying through the air at the Night King. I guess this was supposed to be her arrival at the last second, which kind of makes Theon's death a little more purposeful. But direct attacks aren't exactly what the Faceless Men are known for (at least in the television show). I wanted Bran to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Arya just in time to stab the Night King. Same outcome, better portrayal in my opinion.

The dark was annoying, but I got over it. There weren't as many big deaths as I thought there would be. A couple of the deaths were fairly emotional and there were plenty of tense moments.

I'm hoping they make up for some of the flaws in this episode in the final battle, but I wasn't completely disappointed. I really liked the episode overall. It just felt like there were a few missed opportunities that could've really set it over the top.
Ha, I was totally expecting Bran to be Arya. It was kinda disappointing how wishy-washy they were with her super assassin skills. That was probably the most annoying thing because it didn't make sense, unnecessarily. There was plenty of shit going on elsewhere that we don't need to see her hiding from some lowly wights when the last few seasons made it seem she was basically invincible.

As for the dark, there was one scene in particular that it really pissed me off - I couldn't see Jorah's face properly when he came riding back in. But that was pretty much it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A more enjoyable episode but "rushed" is going to be the buzzword for this season, for certain.

The consistency, pacing and scale is just all over the goddamn place.

Every time they try to tell or show the audience something they somehow manage to screw it up, sometimes basically immediately:

- Biggest fight on earth, over in one evening.
- Everyone died, actually only half died.
- Jaime's good, nah he's evil.
- The troops are wounded and tired, but not a limp or bandage among them.
- The dragons are the ultimate power on earth, actually they are allergic to spears.
- The trip to the capital takes like 4 months, actually it's a single evening.
- Arya hates love, actually she's in love, actually she hates love.

It just goes on and on.

Frankly, this is one time I actually wish the producers WOULD milk the show a bit more, because it's a formula that was working.

The battle with the night king could/should have been most of a season with the next season focusing on the love, betrayal, and politicking of the Jon-Daenerys power struggle along with the final King's Landing battle and final wrap-up and resolution.

Right now every episode feels like a quickly rushed summery of events that should have taken multiple episodes to develop.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It was just about the last show on television I was watching anyway

Metaphorically in terms we might be able to understand...

I feel like I've sat through a great 7 day seminar where for 7 days straight we get great information, but are also periodically upsold an extra seminar day for $50,000. The first 7 days were great, so why not? So I buy the 8th day for $50,000.

The 8th day sucked, the host/presenter was different, was nothing like the first 7, almost the opposite, to the point afterward, I feel like I was just scammed. The classic bait and switch. I now I'm questioning the validity of the information I received in the first 7 days.

When it's all said and done, I conclude I wasted my precious time, and my money.

The next time something reaches a mainstream frenzy and I'm compelled to "look into it for research and insight" I need to take my own advice and stay away.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
I wanted Bran to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Arya just in time to stab the Night King. Same outcome, better portrayal in my opinion.

Damn! I didn't think about that. That would have been amazing!! Except that means Bran would be dead.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Really, the flying dragon couldn't see a fleet of ships on the ocean? Are they blind? And how the hell did they manage to snipe a flying dragon from a ship moving on waves with such deadly accuracy?

Reminds me of Star Wars dropping bombs in space.

Line of sight... if the arrow can straight-line hit the dragon, that means the dragon and/or Dani should be able to see it. Unless the arrows can curve like a boomerang.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
How I feel rn

7LVjcer.png

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Good example of the “opening loops” NLP principle.

The show created dozens of loops that just never really went anywhere. A great show is very hard to stop watching because of all the separate stories you want mental resolve on. Have a look at the 1000s of derailed YouTube GOT fan theory videos that now we know will go nowhere.

They stacked the whole show with great stories and characters and never really had any game plan to tie it all off. Reminds me of Lost.

I wonder if that’s the reason they stalled on releasing this season.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Good example of the “opening loops” NLP principle.

The show created dozens of loops that just never really went anywhere. A great show is very hard to stop watching because of all the separate stories you want mental resolve on. Have a look at the 1000s of derailed YouTube GOT fan theory videos that now we know will go nowhere.

They stacked the whole show with great stories and characters and never really had any game plan to tie it all off. Reminds me of Lost.

I wonder if that’s the reason they stalled on releasing this season.

This guy on YouTube created a brilliant alternate story for episode 3 Battle of winterfell which closed several open loops. Just goes on to show that with a little imagination and creativity this season could have been far more satisfying. You don't need more episodes or budget or CGI, just more imagination.

View: https://youtu.be/k7m6HP95EDM

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I would love for the show to end with Tyrion setting up a republic or something like that, with heads of the houses each responsible for their territories and jointly for the entire kingdom to prevent another mad king/queen or a drunkard. It's unlikely this will happen, but that would be a rewarding, different ending than yet another king on the throne

Ha, I was close enough! Not a republic, but a king elected by the heads of the houses nonetheless.

I don't think that the final episode was that bad. Maybe I didn't expect that much, or maybe I'm a sucker for happy endings (erm, that's not a "maybe", that's "definitely").

What I liked:
  • At least this time Daenerys wasn't pictured as a crazy person willing to burn the innocent, but as a person who truly believes in a twisted way that she determines what's right and what's wrong and that it's her moral obligation to "free" the rest of the world. This set the tone for what had to happen next.
  • Tyrion standing up to her (though I kind of expected he would put a knife in her back).
  • I groaned during the "romantic" scene of Jon and Dany, thinking that the writers couldn't get lower than that, only to be surprised what happened next (even though I expected he would eventually kill her). At the same time, her death was a bit anticlimactic.
  • The dragon burning the Iron Throne, recognizing that it wasn't really Jon who killed Dany but her obsession about the throne. It made the dragon appear to be wiser than Dany, which is IMO fitting considering they're ancient creatures.
  • Tyrion's speech about the stories uniting people, selling the idea of Bran becoming the king. I didn't consider Bran as a potential king, but Tyrion convinced me that it was the best choice.
  • Grey Worm sailing to Naath (Missandei's home).
  • Jon going beyond the wall. I liked that he didn't stay with the Night's Watch but decided to choose freedom and go with the wild folk, the only people who accepted him without any reservations. It was a satisfying bittersweet ending for him. It's also a good starting point for a potential spin-off (though as far as I know the spin-offs will not feature any of the characters from the main series).
What I didn't like:
  • Jon's first scene with imprisoned Tyrion IMO wasn't that convincing to make Jon kill Dany. I think that they should have added one more scene of Daenerys doing something evil that she considers necessary (like, for example, having the dragon burn the remaining prisoners and their families) so that Jon would clearly see her for who she is.
  • Ridiculous time skip between Jon killing Dany and the choosing of the new king. I guess it was super convenient for the writers not to have to show how Grey Worm reacted to Jon killing Dany. It's naive to believe he would merely imprison him. What happened to the Dothraki? Also, who brought all the heads of the houses together? Who rebuilt the city in a few weeks?
  • Seems like the Wall has automagically rebuilt itself. Or maybe it was a different part of the wall that wasn't destroyed?
  • Bran saying that perhaps he can find the dragon only not to mention this again. What was the point?
  • Horrible ending for Jaime and Cersei, and particularly for Jaime. What a waste of a redemption story. His character arc was completely ruined (got it? ruined ha ha ha).
why did Jon Snow go north at the end, wasn't he supposed to stay at the fort?

I like to think he went there to enjoy some peace and true freedom at last and possibly become the King Beyond the Wall.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When reflecting on the early seasons and Season 8, two words describe my feelings: Buyers remorse.

Character arcs ruined and/or abandoned, plot holes, dues ex machina crap (Arya flying knife circus) main characters suddenly have typical Hollywood plot armor (he can't die, he's a main character) laser fire dragon breath, mysterious walls (and cities) being rebuilt, unexpected and unforgivable time ellipses (after Jon kills Dani), what a freaking clusterf*ck.

Everything that made GOT, GOT, was abandoned. We went from cerebral and highly calculating plots to one bad Hollywood cliche/trope after another. All because "Well, we better close up shop and put this series to end." And they didn't even bother to tie up the lose ends.

Remember this in of the early seasons? Wooooooo!! What could it mean?

iu

Exciting, but in the grand scheme, it had no role or tie in whatsoever.

A wasted dramatic ruse and one of dozens of abandoned subplots.

This guy on YouTube created a brilliant alternate story for episode 3 Battle of winterfell which closed several open loops. Just goes on to show that with a little imagination and creativity this season could have been far more satisfying. You don't need more episodes or budget or CGI, just more imagination.

This was indeed brilliant. Its too bad he wasn't the writer of S8.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Just watched Episode 3. It was a hot mess.

A hot dark mess. The first 3/4 of the episode you could not even tell what was going on. A few minutes of the chaos would have been good for cinematic effect, but 40 min was a garbage heap.

I disagree about the Last Jedi though. She has been training for like 6 years, some of that under a god none the less.

Overall not great. Episode 2 was fantastic though. I have no idea where they are going to take this now. Frankly I am less interested in it though, but we shall see.

i didn't mean to compare arya to the jedi chick, arya did indeed train over multiple seasons.
I'm not even mad she killed the night king.

It's a Snoke vs Night King comparison.
I'm referring to the Night King being dispatched in 1 episode after 7 seasons of buildup.

I enjoyed Episode 2 a lot as well, the whole brianne knighting hit me in the feels hard.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

According to the writers, the headblow arya took that knocked her down weakened her abilities.
Wasn't portrayed well though in my opinion.

The way she snuck up on the night king but jumped at him screaming is silly.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
According to the writers, the headblow arya took that knocked her down weakened her abilities.
Wasn't portrayed well though in my opinion.

The way she snuck up on the night king but jumped at him screaming is silly.

lol! The screaming! Hadn't even caught that. Yes, that was totally off. I suppose the headblow knocked her senseless.

Now that I've seen it a few times...the last few minutes of buildup to the Night King's death reminds me of a jewelry commercial. Lots of desperate staring and dramatic music. :D

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
honestly in my heart of hearts i felt something was off the moment the dothraki charged into death.
Then when Jorah Mormont RETURNS i knew for certain something wasn't right.
Then when brianne and jaime keep surviving, i started smelling the BS

the writing was no game of thrones.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.