The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

O/T: HEALTH Game Changers

markK

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 8, 2018
Missouri, US
For over two decades I've been fighting high cholesterol (dangerously high levels) and it took all I could to resist the medical establishment's insistence I get put on drugs, namely cholesterol lowering statins. You're at a severe risk of heart attack was the common refrain I heard every year I had my blood work.
About seven years ago I went to my Naturopathic doctor for my annual check-up.
She ordered blood work and when I went in for the follow-up appointment, she looked at my cholesterol numbers and said, "This is not good!....we need to do something, so you don't have to get on meds."

I was in otherwise pretty good shape with lots of bike riding and some strength training.

She basically told me about the Blood-type diet and put me on a strict vegetarian diet.
I'm like,...forget the meds, let's do this...whatever it takes.

Two months later I got new blood work done and went back.
She couldn't believe it...by going vegetarian, I dropped my total cholesterol by 100 points in two months.

In that two months time I did a fair amount of research and looked into the basis of the blood-type diet.

It does seem that people with Blood Type A, do very well on a vegetarian diet.
(I am a Type A)

It also seems that people with Blood type O, do better with a significant amount of clean animal meat and fat in their diet. They often do well with the Paleo diet.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Blood Type diet?
(Eat Right For Your Type-Dr Peter J. D'Adamo)

Or, are you a Type A or any other type that is thriving on a vegetarian/vegan diet?

In my opinion there are some tendencies with the blood type diet that seem pretty spot on and others...not so much.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Primeperiwinkle

Primeperiwinkle

though she be but little...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
About seven years ago I went to my Naturopathic doctor for my annual check-up.
She ordered blood work and when I went in for the follow-up appointment, she looked at my cholesterol numbers and said, "This is not good!....we need to do something, so you don't have to get on meds."

I was in otherwise pretty good shape with lots of bike riding and some strength training.

She basically told me about the Blood-type diet and put me on a strict vegetarian diet.
I'm like,...forget the meds, let's do this...whatever it takes.

Two months later I got new blood work done and went back.
She couldn't believe it...by going vegetarian, I dropped my total cholesterol by 100 points in two months.

In that two months time I did a fair amount of research and looked into the basis of the blood-type diet.

It does seem that people with Blood Type A, do very well on a vegetarian diet.
(I am a Type A)

It also seems that people with Blood type O, do better with a significant amount of clean animal meat and fat in their diet. They often do well with the Paleo diet.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Blood Type diet?
(Eat Right For Your Type-Dr Peter J. D'Adamo)

Or, are you a Type A or any other type that is thriving on a vegetarian/vegan diet?

In my opinion there are some tendencies with the blood type diet that seem pretty spot on and others...not so much.
I can’t ever remember my type.. lol

WillHurtDontCare

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
As a tennis fan I know that Djokovic diet change was crucial to his peak performance, although in his case he went gluten free so we are not exactly talking about the same thing because he did not go 100% vegan inmediately.
I was listening to the Human Performance Outliers podcast episode 150 with Chris Kruger & he tore into the Game Changers, specifically mentioning how Djokovic's performance declined as a result of going plant-based. He said that his diet related performance increase was due to dropping dairy & gluten I believe, not due to dropping meat. Though keep in mind Kruger is a carnivore / keto diet advocate.

But while evaluating those athletes, compare them to other world class athletes. Just because they're bigger than regular people doesn't mean that they've done anything impressive. Compare them to other world class athletes to see if their diet really gives an edge.

WillHurtDontCare

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
Though a novel idea that I picked up from Nassim Taleb is to go through cycles of different dieting habits, meaning keto for stretches, paleo for stretches, vegan for stretches, etc. He uses a Greek Orthodox diet calendar I believe.

MythOfSisyphus

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Though a novel idea that I picked up from Nassim Taleb is to go through cycles of different dieting habits, meaning keto for stretches, paleo for stretches, vegan for stretches, etc. He uses a Greek Orthodox diet calendar I believe.
Was this mentioned in antifragile?

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Summit Attendee
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
For over two decades I've been fighting high cholesterol (dangerously high levels) and it took all I could to resist the medical establishment's insistence I get put on drugs, namely cholesterol lowering statins. You're at a severe risk of heart attack was the common refrain I heard every year I had my blood work.

I'm happy to say that once I took the plant-based diet seriously, my blood fixed itself. (I admit at first I was a junk food vegan and the results were nominal) No deficiencies (including B12) and my cholesterol finally got under 200. That last time that happened was nearly thirty years ago.
Good that you stayed off statins. Those things are toxins. They lower cholesterol levels (and may reduce coronary problems) but they do it by interfering with some critical biological functions. They cause many serious side effects. The FDA has issued an expanded warning on the dangers of statins, and studies show statins offer almost no improvement in overall all-cause survival rates. See e.g. this meta-analysis: Statins are not associated with a decrease in all cause mortality in a high-risk primary prevention setting | BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine

Cholesterol is not the devil -- your body NEEDS cholesterol. Your brain is something like 40% cholesterol, and your cell walls are made of the stuff. I can't find the studies right now, but recent large-scale studies say that cholesterol is vital. If you look at all-cause mortality, it DROPS as cholesterol levels increase, until you get to about 250 mg/ml (for men). After that the all-cause mortality starts to go up. So 250 is actually BETTER for you than <200. For women, the all-cause mortality keeps dropping as cholesterol increases.

My cholesterol runs in the 250-300 range, always has. My MD was convinced I was going to keel over any second and tried to feed me statins. Finally we measured my carotids with a sonogram, and found I had absolutely clean arteries -- the report said it was like a man half my age.

Cholesterol isn't the cause of the problem; it's a symptom. It's like a band-aid that's used to try to heal the problem: inflammation. Usually caused by sugar, stress, pollution, etc. Reduce your sugar intake and you'll help your atherosclerosis without statin's nasty side effects.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I recently watched the documentary after a recommendation by a friend. There does appear to be an agenda.

But one benefit they mentioned is something I’ve struggled with, I have trouble doing squats because of an Inflammation in a tendon. Haven’t been able to fix it. I’ve decided to do a vegan experiment for 2 months to see if the mentioned increased bloodflow to tendons helps finally resolve the inflammation.

Matthew Hinton

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
Good that you stayed off statins. Those things are toxins. They lower cholesterol levels (and may reduce coronary problems) but they do it by interfering with some critical biological functions. They cause many serious side effects. The FDA has issued an expanded warning on the dangers of statins, and studies show statins offer almost no improvement in overall all-cause survival rates. See e.g. this meta-analysis: Statins are not associated with a decrease in all cause mortality in a high-risk primary prevention setting | BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine

Cholesterol is not the devil -- your body NEEDS cholesterol. Your brain is something like 40% cholesterol, and your cell walls are made of the stuff. I can't find the studies right now, but recent large-scale studies say that cholesterol is vital. If you look at all-cause mortality, it DROPS as cholesterol levels increase, until you get to about 250 mg/ml (for men). After that the all-cause mortality starts to go up. So 250 is actually BETTER for you than <200. For women, the all-cause mortality keeps dropping as cholesterol increases.

My cholesterol runs in the 250-300 range, always has. My MD was convinced I was going to keel over any second and tried to feed me statins. Finally we measured my carotids with a sonogram, and found I had absolutely clean arteries -- the report said it was like a man half my age.

Cholesterol isn't the cause of the problem; it's a symptom. It's like a band-aid that's used to try to heal the problem: inflammation. Usually caused by sugar, stress, pollution, etc. Reduce your sugar intake and you'll help your atherosclerosis without statin's nasty side effects.
A lot has changed in regards to cholesterol. Hasn’t it been found that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels?

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Summit Attendee
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
A lot has changed in regards to cholesterol. Hasn’t it been found that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels?
I don't think that's been settled. The standard party line is that you can control cholesterol with diet, but I suspect it's affected much more by genetics.

But my point was that the cholesterol level doesn't really matter. According to the meta-analysis I read, with 10's of thousands of participants, "high" cholesterol is not dangerous. 250 mg/dL is BETTER for you than <200. If I remember right, men had to get up around 280-300 before their all-cause mortality got back up to the level seen at 200. You may have more coronary issues at 250 than at 200, but you will have fewer problems in other areas.

I found another, more recent, even larger meta-analysis. This one says the optimal level is about 230, and it doesn't show the constantly-improving all-cause mortality for women. (The study participants were all Korean, so it's conceivable they might have somewhat different cholesterol metabolism than Caucasians.) But it covers over 12 MILLION people, so it should carry some weight.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Cholesterol is not the devil -- your body NEEDS cholesterol.
I tend to agree which is why I refused to go on the statins for years. Part of me believes that the demonization of cholesterol is just another Scripted conspiracy to drum up pharmaceutical sales. Reminds me of the "low fat" craze some decades ago. Yet, while I never was a full believer of the cholesterol narrative, given a choice I'd rather have a cholesterol at 200 vs 300. I have substantial anecdotal evidence in my life that when my readings where high, even beyond where I was comfortable, I also felt like dogshit.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Thats usually my argument for doing the ketogenic diet. High fats are not the problem, but instead inflammation. Thats why its hard to ask typical doctors of switching to any new diet because they usually stick to their guns and not explore newer options in diets. Most of them echo the same ideas of low salt, no fried foods, etc. I haven't had lab results in a while, but I do take meds for hypothyroidism, statin for high cholesterol, and don't take anything for my low testosterone. After a month or so on the keto diet, I am curious if my body has gone through any cellular changes. I certainly feel great and have lost tons of weight.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Reiterating that I haven't seen this particular documentary, for me the real story is that the mainstream medical establishment REFUSES to address to their patients that nutrition and diet are interlinked to disease.

You can pull up any nutrition based documentary, whether it be Paleo, Raw/Whole Food, Plant-Based, Keto, and each will present an argument (and evidence) that a significant dietary lifestyle change can reverse disease, or their markers. The American diet is so f*cked up that any substantial dietary change focused on nutrition tends to have profound results.

Right now it's easier for MDs to prescribe a pill than it is to tell someone that their diet is killing them.

http://instagr.am/p/B4nSCuAJlsR/ View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nSCuAJlsR/

WillHurtDontCare

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
Reiterating that I haven't seen this particular documentary, for me the real story is that the mainstream medical establishment REFUSES to address to their patients that nutrition and diet are interlinked to disease.

Right now it's easier for MDs to prescribe a pill than it is to tell someone that their diet is killing them.
Anyone who feels unwell, physically, psychologically, or in whatever piece of your overall health should consider whether the following criteria are met:
  • Sufficient sleep
  • Sufficient exercise
  • Sufficient nutrition
  • Sufficient socializing
  • Sufficient sunlight
I think that the most infuriating thing about being alive today is that almost all of us are wired to seek complex (or rather, novel) solutions to problems when simple ones provide the best results. Note I feel this way not just about health, but life in general.

You can pull up any nutrition based documentary, whether it be Paleo, Raw/Whole Food, Plant-Based, Keto, and each will present an argument (and evidence) that a significant dietary lifestyle change can reverse disease, or their markers. The American diet is so f*cked up that any substantial dietary change focused on nutrition tends to have profound results.
And to steal an idea from Nassim Taleb, sometimes cycling between those diets is sufficient (I think that he uses the Greek Orthodox calendar). I think in each one of those diets you get dogmatists & fanatics (probably true of any popular movement) who say that there way is the one true way. I've tried keto (1 year), paleo (a few years), vegeterian (2 years), and now I'm back to keto (almost paleo).

I think an important takeaway is that you can get different benefits under different circumstances and you can benefit from periodically going from one to another. The important part is to look at your consumption strategically and avoid eating certain foods together (I've heard that carbs & fats shouldn't be mixed because they cause weight gain).

TLDR: Those diets work because they are systems, and those systems provide benefits (sometimes unique, sometimes overlapping).

Solid Snake

Contributor
Jan 23, 2019
USA
I found the documentary super good, of course it is a bit biased showing all those athletes winning at their sports with their vegan diet however that being said we have examples in tennis (Djokovic is pretty much plant based) and Soccer (Lionel Messi) so probably there is some truth about it.

Diet is just one part of your "wellbeing" equation so you have to also see other variables to optimize your life. A guy like Warren Buffet eats like a fat 5 years old however he is healthy because of low stress and overall enjoyment of life.

im a vegetarian and was a power and strength athlete in high school (didnt like texture of meat since i was a child)

its not about being a veggie or carnivore but rather macronutrients and whole foods.

documentaries like this are interesting but in general, diet cults should be avoided imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom