The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

f*cked up our SEO by mistake - Any tips?

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
Hey guys, I need a bit of help with SEO.

So, we had a site with more than 1.000 pages indexed, this pages used a url structure like /state/city/something/name

One of our engineers changed a part of the url structure, something like /city/ to /city-1/, he also updated the sitemap with the new url's.

He didn't put any 301 redirection so now all the old url's started throwing 404 to google, we didn't knew about this and the engineer didn't told us because he didn't even knew the mistake he had made.

Short story, google de indexed all of the pages and is not taking in account the new url's in the sitemap.

We now have less than 75 pages indexed and it has been like this for 3 weeks, I think google dont trust us anymore?

I really dont know what to do, google stopped visiting the old url's so there is no point in putting the 301 redirects now.

Thanks for your time..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey guys, I need a bit of help with SEO.

So, we had a site with more than 1.000 pages indexed, this pages used a url structure like /state/city/something/name

One of our engineers changed a part of the url structure, something like /city/ to /city-1/, he also updated the sitemap with the new url's.

He didn't put any 301 redirection so now all the old url's started throwing 404 to google, we didn't knew about this and the engineer didn't told us because he didn't even knew the mistake he had made.

Short story, google de indexed all of the pages and is not taking in account the new url's in the sitemap.

We now have less than 75 pages indexed and it has been like this for 3 weeks, I think google dont trust us anymore?

I really dont know what to do, google stopped visiting the old url's so there is no point in putting the 301 redirects now.

Thanks for your time..

I think you can move the URL structure back and it could go back to normal.

I did this once and was wondering why I couldn't find my site in search. I fixed it and it came back. My URL mistake was there for over 3 months!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
change it back to original, or put on the redirects

you will be fine

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
1. Change the URL structure back to original.
2. Send your sitemap to Google in Google Search Console.
3. Also do a sitewide crawl in google search console to speed up the process.

Don't do any 301 redirects. Don't make any important changes for a while.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
Don't worry people change their url formats all the time, google aren't going to black list you for it. I made this mistake myself recently. Do what @Tiger TT suggests, although personally I'd implement 301 redirects as you don't know where else might be linking to those pages.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.