The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FTC Disclosure for paid writers to my blog/freelance writers

Captain_Picard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Aug 21, 2018
Does anyone know what the requirements are for disclosure for hiring freelance writers to write articles for your blog and you paying them?

FTC disclosures are required if a product manufacturer is paying someone to blog about their product in a positive light. If I own a website with freelance writers, and I pay money for the writer to write articles for me to review hockey sticks for example, do I have to disclose something like:

"The writer of this article has received monetary payment for this article."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
No. I'm not aware of any such thing.

I mean if they write for your site, no FTC disclosure should be needed.

One should assume if they are on your site they were paid to write the article. People aren't altruistic to write articles for free.

What YOU should be aware of is the common technique of writers adding backlinks to sites in which they get paid for (ie see many Forbes articles). But you the editor/manager of the site are not.

That's not only a FTC no no, but also in the eyes of Google can get your site blacklisted. Paid backlinks MUST be disclosed and use rel="nofollow".

You need setup your own editorial guidelines and rules for your writers and what you accept and what you do not.

Last edited:

Captain_Picard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Aug 21, 2018
No. I'm not aware of any such thing.

I mean if they write for your site, no FTC disclosure should be needed.

One should assume if they are on your site they were paid to write the article. People aren't altruistic to write articles for free.

What YOU should be aware of is the common technique of writers adding backlinks to sites in which they get paid for (ie see many Forbes articles). But you the editor/manager of the site are not.

That's not only a FTC no no, but also in the eyes of Google can get your site blacklisted. Paid backlinks MUST be disclosed or use rel="nofollow".

You need setup your own editorial guidelines and rules for your writers and what you accept and what you do not.
Thanks for this. This is really helpful.

Interesting thing about Forbes. SEO and SERP ranking will be another thing I will have to pay attention to.

Great job on the liquidation event btw.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.