The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From 0 To $240,000 Per Year PROFIT In 18 Months (Acquisition Entrepreneurship)

lifestylelane

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 16, 2020
Portland
From 0 to $240,000 per year profit in 18 months

I've been a follower of this forum for about a year now, had read the Millionaire Fastlane book, and finally have decided to tell my story. About a year and a half ago, I found myself unemployed and with near zero savings, two house payments, and a second baby on the way. Things were so dire that I was contemplating bankruptcy. I had just lost my slow-lane job with one of the original big three TV network companies. Worked there for about 3 years making the mistake of transitioning away from my career in computer consulting thinking that having a job would bring a certain level of security. It didn't. Man, those were dark days.

I decided to go back to consulting. But this time instead of taking on just one client full-time, I took on a second, and then a third, and then a fourth. A couple of them, I was billing 40 hours a week, working at the client site for 1, while telecommuting for the other. Clients 3 and 4 were part-time, billing 10-20 hours a week for each but at higher rates, also remote. FYI if you haven't heard, businesses more and more are allowing the telecommuting way. So, if you hate going into your job, look for opportunities to work from home. They're out there.

Well I did this for the past year+, and life has been shit busy, but I saved up a ton, about $200,000 in a year. That felt good. I felt secure with a lot of savings, I had multiple income streams, and the second baby now walks and can feed herself. My wife suggested we invest the $200K in money market funds or CDs. Sounds good, right? Earn 2.3% APY resulting in a whopping $383/mo.! I love my wife, but not for us.

Investing in low-yield financial instruments, and working for someone whether consulting or full time. These are strong characteristics of the slow lane. I've always had an entrepreneur’s mindset. I wanted financial freedom from the daily 9-5 grind, or for me this past year, the 5am-1am grind, including weekends. Even though I had the high-paying clients, if you think about it, it's never good to have all your nuts in very few baskets. And you definitely don't want your schedule dictated to you as consulting can often times do. Besides, money was still tied to my time, and this current work schedule was unsustainable. So having a business seemed like the way to go.

How did I start a business that gives me the financial freedom and time freedom that I so desired? Funny thing. I didn't. I didn't start a new business. Oh, I created a new corporate entity initially for my consulting. But I'm just not creative enough, nor risk averse with family and kids to take a chance there. And besides, burning a year of my life working my a$$ off to roll the dice on a new venture. Nah. So did this mean that I just wasn't going to pursue financial freedom, and maybe instead continue the 100 hours a week work load? No.

About 6 months ago, I started looking at buying software/internet businesses. Why reinvent the wheel? The number of businesses sold on the internet is growing rapidly. Sure there's a ton of scams, get-rich-quick opportunities offered by fake sellers. There are a lot of businesses that the seller just wants out because of failing operations. There are businesses that are a dying breed tied to the old world, pre-internet. For example, consider commercial printing companies which as a side note I was an owner of one about 10 years ago. I'll get back to this in a moment. There are businesses that run in a saturated space like many ecommerce, dropship/Amazon businesses that may have once been profitable, but have lost their edge due to the marketplace. Oh, and blogs, need I say more. Lots of bad opportunities!

So let me quickly detour farther into the past. 10 years ago, I was the owner of a print shop. We had lots of B2B customers looking for printed material on paper. They were all local customers, who often times paid late since we invoiced at NET 30. We had employees running the machines to print and cut and collate and staple. We had leased printers and other equipment. We had leased store-front space. We had a lot of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold), namely the paper itself. Ultimately we failed, and went out of business. Simply put, sales decreased over time, the business didn't scale, the cash flow was shit due to late payers, the overhead was horrendous, and having full-time employees was expensive and such a burden.

Years later, I tried blogging. Tech centric since I'm a programmer. That was a waste of time. AdSense brought in a few hundred bucks a month. But since I don't like writing (even this posting is painful to me), it turned out not to be worth it. I tried ecommerce, AliExpress/Shopify drop shipping of apparel. Did OK for a few months, but then the sales dried up, and I had difficulty coming up with new products to sell. Hated that as well. Definitely not sustainable. So ultimately I failed.

Which bring us back to now. I say I failed, which I'm sure many of you reading this have done so as well. But I say that to make a point. Failure is not truly failure when considering what it really is. As humans, we all fail, probably every day in one form or another. Most of our failures are inconsequential. We break something. We say the wrong thing at the wrong time. We buy some product that doesn't live up to our expectations. But guess what? We adjust our behaviors to mitigate risk so that next time, we do better. Business should be treated the same. Choices that you make in business can be driven by experiences, good and bad. I have a ton of that, especially the bad.

So based on my past failures, I came up with criteria for what my next business acquisition would require. Here they are:

1) No full-time employees. Didn't want the headache.
2) Profitable. Of course.
3) Years of proven profitability.
4) Digital/software products or services. No inventory. No drop shipping.
5) Scalable.
6) No physical location. Allowing work from home without need for leasing office/store.
7) Flexible business. Caters to expanding product and service line beyond current offerings to customers.
8) Low weekly hours necessary for owner operation.
9) Instant credit card sales, vs NET30 or other delayed payment processing.
10) Minimal marketing.
11) Full control. No partnerships. Limit dependencies with external entities.

So, I'm sitting on my $200,000 nest egg from all that hard work. I'm researching businesses for sale. And I find one that is a software company that sells proprietary accounting software. Promising! I'm a programmer with tons of experience in accounting. The business has been operational for 30 years, with recurring clients going back 10+ years, and has been run by this one couple who are well into their retirement years but hadn't pulled the trigger. And guess what? This software business satisfies all 11 of my requirements above. Well, I send their broker an offer of about $200K with half of it owner-financed for 5 years. They accept. Done deal. The profit annualized is $70,000 with an initial investment of $100,000. ROI = 70%. Nice! Since taking over, I'm happy with the performance, and I only spend maybe a couple hours a week on it. I outsource the programming.

Why stop there? I know MJ preaches monogamy. But I feel you can scale your company multiple ways. 1) expanding your sales in your current product/service line, and 2) buying existing businesses to generate more revenue. The only limiting factor of the second is that you will hit a limiting threshold in time when managing and marketing your multiple business holdings. Hopefully by then, you have gotten to a point where you can hire managers to offload that work. In any case, I next took over... a blog. I laugh when I write that because as mentioned before, I hated blogging. But I'll give you a little secret. You can hire writers, which I have a whole staff of them.

The blog is more than just a blog with hundreds of thousands of viewers per month. It has an online Facebook page with a quarter million followers, and a Facebook group with tens of thousands of passionate people whose lives revolve around my niche. And I am one of them, also passionate towards the content that we generate. So, I placed an offer, and got it, trademark included. $80K. We make money working with an advertising agency that deals with handling ad fill. Profit after paying our writing staff has been about $3500/mo. So annualized is $42,000 profit/year. ROI = 52.5%.

Next acquisition. I bought a web site backup service. We have hundreds of customers that we perform nightly backups of their sites as well as make sure their sites are operational 24x7. I outsource that work to offshore for cheap, but excellent labor. I love the guys who keep this business going strong day to day. I barely do anything but accounting for this. Maybe spend half an hour a day. I got it for $35,000. And annualized we make $30K in profit. ROI = 85%.

And most recently I've assumed a web marketing business. This too has a team of contractors that do the heavy lifting. Premium one-word, business-specific, domain name that garners 30K organic traffic a month. Very little ad spend. We generate about $8000/mo. in profit, again annualized to $96K profit for an ROI = 240%. I haven't figured out why the previous owner sold this other than he didn't want to do it anymore, and wanted to concentrate on his other business. He's got rep. I did my research.

So here's the grand total annualized profit:

Accounting Software Business: $70,000
Blog and Online Community: $42,000
Web Site Backup Business: $30,000
Web Marketing Business: $96,000

Total Annualized Profit: $238,000

Mind you, since these ventures take up maybe a total of a couple hours a day for me to run, I am free to focus on marketing for growth, while keeping a couple of my consulting clients. I quit the one client where I had to go into the office, and the other remote client, I just quit because I didn't have time for them. So I work from home now. The consulting dollars gets me to $400K a year, but I will most likely stop consulting next year to completely focus on my businesses. And my family and I are planning on moving to Central America this winter, because we love it there, and hell, I can work from anywhere that has internet.

One last note on being a serial entrepreneur. I look for synergies between my businesses and any future acquisitions. Each of the four ventures that I now have complement one or more of the other businesses, so I can leverage/cross-sell amongst the lot of them. This specific business model is starting to gain traction. But one challenge for me is branding when cross-selling. I haven't figured out how to consolidate the brands most efficiently. Each has their own distinct brand that current customers trust. And future customers may gravitate to the current branding. So not sure yet, but it's a good problem to have.

Hello JustDoItMan, I was just looking around the internet on how to buy online businesses and found this post. I was wondering if you have any advice on due diligence before buying online businesses? I might be able to refer you, digital marketers, from the private digital marketing Facebook group that I am apart of if you are interested. What is the best way to contact you?

About me, I am 20 years old practicing my digital marketing skills for different clients for free to build up my portfolio. After reading Rich dad Poor dad and Millionaire Fast Lane, I was so obsessed with learning about what kind of asset to invest in to build my lifestyle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Keepg01ng

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jul 10, 2020
Osaka, Japan
Hey guys,

As @doitman has not been seen in a while, I was wondering if anyone has made some progress in the same excellent direction as he went?

I have started to finally find some decent deals, but still really need a mentor to act as a sounding board for the tough questions that could be real critical.

Please let me know if anyone else in the "Acquisition" lane has had any luck with the following:

A. Finding a mentor who deals in the lower market where most of us are looking
B. Have any stories to share of similar "Buy a Business" experience
C. Knowing anybody who has bought/sold a small business (online or brick & mortar) that might be someone I could reach out to, even as a paid coach

Take care!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hey guys,

As @doitman has not been seen in a while, I was wondering if anyone has made some progress in the same excellent direction as he went?

I have started to finally find some decent deals, but still really need a mentor to act as a sounding board for the tough questions that could be real critical.

Please let me know if anyone else in the "Acquisition" lane has had any luck with the following:

C. Knowing anybody who has bought/sold a small business (online or brick & mortar) that might be someone I could reach out to, even as a paid coach

Take care!
Just a thought ... Start a progress thread of your own on here and post your questions. You'll get tough questions from people who can be as critical as you desire, several of whom have built/bought/sold businesses...

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY

I've been a follower of this forum for about a year now, had read the Millionaire Fastlane book, and finally have decided to tell my story. About a year and a half ago, I found myself unemployed and with near zero savings, two house payments, and a second baby on the way. Things were so dire that I was contemplating bankruptcy. I had just lost my slow-lane job with one of the original big three TV network companies. Worked there for about 3 years making the mistake of transitioning away from my career in computer consulting thinking that having a job would bring a certain level of security. It didn't. Man, those were dark days.

I decided to go back to consulting. But this time instead of taking on just one client full-time, I took on a second, and then a third, and then a fourth. A couple of them, I was billing 40 hours a week, working at the client site for 1, while telecommuting for the other. Clients 3 and 4 were part-time, billing 10-20 hours a week for each but at higher rates, also remote. FYI if you haven't heard, businesses more and more are allowing the telecommuting way. So, if you hate going into your job, look for opportunities to work from home. They're out there.

Well I did this for the past year+, and life has been shit busy, but I saved up a ton, about $200,000 in a year. That felt good. I felt secure with a lot of savings, I had multiple income streams, and the second baby now walks and can feed herself. My wife suggested we invest the $200K in money market funds or CDs. Sounds good, right? Earn 2.3% APY resulting in a whopping $383/mo.! I love my wife, but not for us.

Investing in low-yield financial instruments, and working for someone whether consulting or full time. These are strong characteristics of the slow lane. I've always had an entrepreneur’s mindset. I wanted financial freedom from the daily 9-5 grind, or for me this past year, the 5am-1am grind, including weekends. Even though I had the high-paying clients, if you think about it, it's never good to have all your nuts in very few baskets. And you definitely don't want your schedule dictated to you as consulting can often times do. Besides, money was still tied to my time, and this current work schedule was unsustainable. So having a business seemed like the way to go.

How did I start a business that gives me the financial freedom and time freedom that I so desired? Funny thing. I didn't. I didn't start a new business. Oh, I created a new corporate entity initially for my consulting. But I'm just not creative enough, nor risk averse with family and kids to take a chance there. And besides, burning a year of my life working my a$$ off to roll the dice on a new venture. Nah. So did this mean that I just wasn't going to pursue financial freedom, and maybe instead continue the 100 hours a week work load? No.

About 6 months ago, I started looking at buying software/internet businesses. Why reinvent the wheel? The number of businesses sold on the internet is growing rapidly. Sure there's a ton of scams, get-rich-quick opportunities offered by fake sellers. There are a lot of businesses that the seller just wants out because of failing operations. There are businesses that are a dying breed tied to the old world, pre-internet. For example, consider commercial printing companies which as a side note I was an owner of one about 10 years ago. I'll get back to this in a moment. There are businesses that run in a saturated space like many ecommerce, dropship/Amazon businesses that may have once been profitable, but have lost their edge due to the marketplace. Oh, and blogs, need I say more. Lots of bad opportunities!

So let me quickly detour farther into the past. 10 years ago, I was the owner of a print shop. We had lots of B2B customers looking for printed material on paper. They were all local customers, who often times paid late since we invoiced at NET 30. We had employees running the machines to print and cut and collate and staple. We had leased printers and other equipment. We had leased store-front space. We had a lot of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold), namely the paper itself. Ultimately we failed, and went out of business. Simply put, sales decreased over time, the business didn't scale, the cash flow was shit due to late payers, the overhead was horrendous, and having full-time employees was expensive and such a burden.

Years later, I tried blogging. Tech centric since I'm a programmer. That was a waste of time. AdSense brought in a few hundred bucks a month. But since I don't like writing (even this posting is painful to me), it turned out not to be worth it. I tried ecommerce, AliExpress/Shopify drop shipping of apparel. Did OK for a few months, but then the sales dried up, and I had difficulty coming up with new products to sell. Hated that as well. Definitely not sustainable. So ultimately I failed.

Which bring us back to now. I say I failed, which I'm sure many of you reading this have done so as well. But I say that to make a point. Failure is not truly failure when considering what it really is. As humans, we all fail, probably every day in one form or another. Most of our failures are inconsequential. We break something. We say the wrong thing at the wrong time. We buy some product that doesn't live up to our expectations. But guess what? We adjust our behaviors to mitigate risk so that next time, we do better. Business should be treated the same. Choices that you make in business can be driven by experiences, good and bad. I have a ton of that, especially the bad.

So based on my past failures, I came up with criteria for what my next business acquisition would require. Here they are:

5) Scalable.
6) No physical location. Allowing work from home without need for leasing office/store.
7) Flexible business. Caters to expanding product and service line beyond current offerings to customers.
10) Minimal marketing.

So, I'm sitting on my $200,000 nest egg from all that hard work. I'm researching businesses for sale. And I find one that is a software company that sells proprietary accounting software. Promising! I'm a programmer with tons of experience in accounting. The business has been operational for 30 years, with recurring clients going back 10+ years, and has been run by this one couple who are well into their retirement years but hadn't pulled the trigger. And guess what? This software business satisfies all 11 of my requirements above. Well, I send their broker an offer of about $200K with half of it owner-financed for 5 years. They accept. Done deal. The profit annualized is $70,000 with an initial investment of $100,000. ROI = 70%. Nice! Since taking over, I'm happy with the performance, and I only spend maybe a couple hours a week on it. I outsource the programming.

Why stop there? I know MJ preaches monogamy. But I feel you can scale your company multiple ways. 1) expanding your sales in your current product/service line, and 2) buying existing businesses to generate more revenue. The only limiting factor of the second is that you will hit a limiting threshold in time when managing and marketing your multiple business holdings. Hopefully by then, you have gotten to a point where you can hire managers to offload that work. In any case, I next took over... a blog. I laugh when I write that because as mentioned before, I hated blogging. But I'll give you a little secret. You can hire writers, which I have a whole staff of them.

The blog is more than just a blog with hundreds of thousands of viewers per month. It has an online Facebook page with a quarter million followers, and a Facebook group with tens of thousands of passionate people whose lives revolve around my niche. And I am one of them, also passionate towards the content that we generate. So, I placed an offer, and got it, trademark included. $80K. We make money working with an advertising agency that deals with handling ad fill. Profit after paying our writing staff has been about $3500/mo. So annualized is $42,000 profit/year. ROI = 52.5%.

Next acquisition. I bought a web site backup service. We have hundreds of customers that we perform nightly backups of their sites as well as make sure their sites are operational 24x7. I outsource that work to offshore for cheap, but excellent labor. I love the guys who keep this business going strong day to day. I barely do anything but accounting for this. Maybe spend half an hour a day. I got it for $35,000. And annualized we make $30K in profit. ROI = 85%.

And most recently I've assumed a web marketing business. This too has a team of contractors that do the heavy lifting. Premium one-word, business-specific, domain name that garners 30K organic traffic a month. Very little ad spend. We generate about $8000/mo. in profit, again annualized to $96K profit for an ROI = 240%. I haven't figured out why the previous owner sold this other than he didn't want to do it anymore, and wanted to concentrate on his other business. He's got rep. I did my research.

Mind you, since these ventures take up maybe a total of a couple hours a day for me to run, I am free to focus on marketing for growth, while keeping a couple of my consulting clients. I quit the one client where I had to go into the office, and the other remote client, I just quit because I didn't have time for them. So I work from home now. The consulting dollars gets me to $400K a year, but I will most likely stop consulting next year to completely focus on my businesses. And my family and I are planning on moving to Central America this winter, because we love it there, and hell, I can work from anywhere that has internet.

One last note on being a serial entrepreneur. I look for synergies between my businesses and any future acquisitions. Each of the four ventures that I now have complement one or more of the other businesses, so I can leverage/cross-sell amongst the lot of them. This specific business model is starting to gain traction. But one challenge for me is branding when cross-selling. I haven't figured out how to consolidate the brands most efficiently. Each has their own distinct brand that current customers trust. And future customers may gravitate to the current branding. So not sure yet, but it's a good problem to have.
This is absolutely fantastic and an interesting read. I'm currently unemployed due to covid, have a wife and a 14 month old son, and of course a mortgage payment. Thankfully, we have my wife's income and a rental income that pays about half our mortgage. With that said, I decided I wanted a change. I decided to read books (never was a reader until now) (read 13 so far since Covid begun including TMF and just started Unscripted ). I decided to start meditating, visualizing, setting daily goals that I mark off on my phone and track how I do with them. Also, created a side web design and social media service business. I have only had a few clients so far, but I realize its slowlane and not really scalable.

With Covid, I'm the one taking care of my son (we don't trust daycare with this virus still around), so a lot of my time is dedicated to him until night. I do want a job to bring in income (cause there's a multi-family house for that will be going on the market soon that Id love to buy for a bigger house for myself, and more rental income), but at the same time I don't because I really don't want slowlane life.

My mind is always thinking about something entrepreneurial to do, but my problem is starting. I'm just not sure how. And I probably need to educate myself in certain area's to master my craft and maybe be able to start what I want to do. I definitely don't want to pay absurd prices to go back to college. Side note, I am thinking of taking real estate course to get my real estate license and become an agent. They do make some decent money in Long Island, NY because the housing market stays crazy here. Just to get some income coming in until I can make my thoughts a reality.

Thank you for your story.

BarKogan$

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 29, 2020

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Wow!
Thats inspiring !!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting story on business acquisition VS real estate. Not sure where this dude lives where he can buy $30,000 houses, but in AZ, you can't buy a $30,000 backyard shed.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Interesting story on business acquisition VS real estate. Not sure where this dude lives where he can buy $30,000 houses, but in AZ, you can't buy a $30,000 backyard shed.

Interesting.
I'm actually in the same process of doing something similar at the moment. Not exactly the same, but reasonably similar.

Maybe I'll create a thread on it if it pans out well. I guess I'll know definitively how it's turning out in a few months time, say like 3 months or so.
Or on second thoughts, I might even create a progress thread on it from right now, so people can watch how it goes in real time. If it turns out good, great. If it doesn't, people may learn why it didn't.

OME

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 24, 2019
Hey guys,

Take care!
I have done this and open to other investors or mentoring/coaching.

moneyman77

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 26, 2021
This is absolutely fantastic and an interesting read. I'm currently unemployed due to covid, have a wife and a 14 month old son, and of course a mortgage payment. Thankfully, we have my wife's income and a rental income that pays about half our mortgage. With that said, I decided I wanted a change. I decided to read books (never was a reader until now) (read 13 so far since Covid begun including TMF and just started Unscripted ). I decided to start meditating, visualizing, setting daily goals that I mark off on my phone and track how I do with them. Also, created a side web design and social media service business. I have only had a few clients so far, but I realize its slowlane and not really scalable.

With Covid, I'm the one taking care of my son (we don't trust daycare with this virus still around), so a lot of my time is dedicated to him until night. I do want a job to bring in income (cause there's a multi-family house for that will be going on the market soon that Id love to buy for a bigger house for myself, and more rental income), but at the same time I don't because I really don't want slowlane life.

My mind is always thinking about something entrepreneurial to do, but my problem is starting. I'm just not sure how. And I probably need to educate myself in certain area's to master my craft and maybe be able to start what I want to do. I definitely don't want to pay absurd prices to go back to college. Side note, I am thinking of taking real estate course to get my real estate license and become an agent. They do make some decent money in Long Island, NY because the housing market stays crazy here. Just to get some income coming in until I can make my thoughts a reality.

Thank you for your story.

Jonny Marciano

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 24, 2020
West Palm Beach, FL

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Great stuff man. Well done. Thanks for sharing!

James2830

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 9, 2020
New Jersey

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Where do you find those businesses? I'm interested in buying a few

VinThePro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 6, 2021
Lilongwe, Malawi

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Amazing inspiring story. Hearing this encourages me. It's definitely not easy to achieve what you have in such a time frame, but you have made it possible.

I am just starting off myself and I am scared. There are a lot of things I do not know and I get headaches thinking about it all. But I know I will learn as time goes.

Thank you for sharing your story

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA

Says Oklahoma in the comments - interesting story though for those interested in paying a premium for a notionally more vetted asset.

ycee

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 22, 2019

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Wow @doitman that's crazy progress for 18 months.

Question: Where did you find these businesses to buy? I've heard of Empireflippers and MicroAcquire, curious if you have any ways to find these hidden gems.

Soul Slider

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 12, 2019

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Hi @doitman,

I love this post. Its the route that I want to take and have been planning to take. Im just waiting on exiting my current partnership to use that capital for the future acquisition.

Please forgive me I haven't read thru all the posts so I don't know if someone has already suggested a solution to your branding problem. But here is my idea. Maintain all the individual brands, unless you think you can individually rebrand a certain one, cause it makes sense as per that specific business. I would then open a new organization that owns all the other businesses. (I guess you don't have to open the new organization but just pitch it that way). And this new organization/biz has a driven vision that is fulfilled by acquiring other businesses.

So for example:

XYZ. LLC (The parent company) - We believe in providing service while limiting the use of natural resources of our lovely planet earth. We also want to shine light on the skills and talent of people no matter where they are in the world. Thats why we believe in the power of the internet enabling a new way of doing business, giving more freedom and power to the individual.

Now you can just add a new tag line to the existing businesses that says Accounting. INC now owned by XYZ LLC please click here to learn why we purchased this business. (take them to the relevant page on XYZ website).

I think this builds the rep for XYZ and also lets you see how receptive your existing customers of each individual business are to the idea of XYZ. (It might be that if you have already engaged with customers directly a lot of them won't mind, I don't know). Then as you see fit you can rebrand each biz with the same branding of XYZ and slowly everything would come under XYZ if it made sense.

Just my 2 cents, I hope it was useful and I didn't bore you.

Again loved the post and best of luck!

p31

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 2, 2016

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

How do you get 70% ROI for purchasing businesses?
For instance I've never found any above 25% ROI in EmpireFlippers...

Also, what would you say be the absolute minimum ROI that I should never buy below? Would that be around 50%?

USN-Ken

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Apr 21, 2015
Durant, Iowa
***I am not affiliated with this in any way.***

For those interested in acquisitions, there is a $5k listing right now at flippa for a business called Emergency Resumes.

It might be worth checking out. I just sold my resume writing firm last year And I can tell you that the résumé writing business is booming right now because so many people are out of work.

The website is awful, they have no live-chat, are not collecting customer info, and it’s not mobile friendly, so there is a lot of room for improvement. You simply need to find a writer who already specializes in writing resumes for medical personnel and emergency personnel and outsource to them (under your company name), Taking your mark-up off the top.

Could be grown pretty easily.

Do. Your. Homework. Though.

StefVE

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Aug 15, 2020
Belgium
Been active here before, but back now to share my story.

Have been looking around for an online business since September last year while doing a lot of reading about acquisition entrepreneurship. Had a budget available of kEUR 30 and had been looking around mainly around on Flippa because it offers businesses at a lower price range than Empire Flippers for example. This also means you get a lot more 'less mature' (or scammers) on there but they are most of the time relatively easy to spot.

After a failed transaction around December where the seller backed off because of second thoughts, I was able to get in touch with a guy selling his stake in a supplement business. He wasn't selling the full supplement business as it is but merely his 'role' (and accompanying profit share). He worked together with a guy having years of experience within the supplement industry as an (external) consultant where this guy taking care of production and fulfillment. The seller's role was mainly focused of selling the product online via a website and taking care of customers and marketing.

Eventually the seller offered me to sell me the business / his part for kEUR 20 where his share of the profits amounts to something like kEUR 1,5 per month on average or KEUR 18 per year.

Now we are six months later and I have been able to increase monthly net profit to around kEUR 1,7 so we are at a return rate of 100%. Nevertheless, apart from the financial aspect, I really wanted to get started with a business to learn about ecommerce and business in general to build up experience to use for future ventures. For this reason I am also investing more money into the business again than necessary to keep things running, just to check what works to increase sales. I am also outsourcing some of the work (front & backend development and copy-writing) I could actually do myself - I noticed YouTube is your friend here - while learning from these people with experience. This also made me notice I do prefer to focus on the overall strategy and building out the business instead of fixing all the details myself. This does cost me some more money than necessary on the short term, but might be a good trait if I would acquire more and more business and need to leave the details to other people.

This means that on weekdays I need only one hour to keep business going / get in touch with my freelancers if necessary. During weekends I just try to spend as much time as possible on whatever topic I am focusing on at that point in time in order to improve my knowledge and the business.

I know a lot of people would be hesitant/cautious to 'share' their business with a business partner but for me it works out fine for now and it let's me focus on the part of the work I am responsible for. On the same time, because of his industry knowledge, we are able to offer really high standard products which would otherwise be hard to get your hands on as a (small) business. I know this also accounts for some risks as we are dependent on each other but given that the return rate and the fact that this is also an opportunity to learn myself I was prepared to take the risk.

Now we are also planning a second website together to focus on a different set of supplements than these we are already offering currently but where we can still leverage part of our current customer base. After that, we aim for the end of summer, and if everything is running smooth, I might also look further to acquire another business myself to further diversify and increase my income.

I'll keep you guys updated and love to hear your comments in the meanwhile!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
What sites do you use to buy businesses?

I'm seconding this-- I've been looking on BizBuySell lately but nothing is catching my eye- Any other recommendations?

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
I'm seconding this-- I've been looking on BizBuySell lately but nothing is catching my eye- Any other recommendations?
If you are looking for online businesses try checking out Centurica. One of my acquaintances bought a business on there pretty smoothly.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
If you are looking for online businesses try checking out Centurica. One of my acquaintances bought a business on there pretty smoothly.
Right. It's also easy to sign up to get new listings in your inbox.
I signed up for their emails, I've received quite a few compelling listings through them.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

I'm sure you don't need me to point this out, but I see some SERIOUS cross-selling opportunities between the website backup service and the web marketing business (maybe even the accounting one). Have you taken advantage of that already?

I don't have these types of funds at the moment but I wonder if it'd be worth purchasing businesses like this with OPM ("other people's money," since we're comparing to real estate lol). I have a lot of potential connections for private capital and a 14-year background in copywriting, content writing, and marketing. Obviously would need enough profit margin to make it worth it...

Anyways, have always thought of getting into something like this, so thanks for the great share!

Last edited:

MiamiFastlane

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 1, 2017
Miami
***I am not affiliated with this in any way.***

For those interested in acquisitions, there is a $5k listing right now at flippa for a business called Emergency Resumes.

It might be worth checking out. I just sold my resume writing firm last year And I can tell you that the résumé writing business is booming right now because so many people are out of work.

The website is awful, they have no live-chat, are not collecting customer info, and it’s not mobile friendly, so there is a lot of room for improvement. You simply need to find a writer who already specializes in writing resumes for medical personnel and emergency personnel and outsource to them (under your company name), Taking your mark-up off the top.

Could be grown pretty easily.

Do. Your. Homework. Though.

Thanks for this lead..I'm sure the listing is not around but never thought of a resume-building service. I used to do this for my friends for free and I'd at the very least land them interviews haha

Nikolaos

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 5, 2021
UPDATE: 32 days until fast lane freedom! I gave my final notice to all of my managers. Yes I have a bunch. That will leave me with only one... My wife.

I've been busy building our new server infrastructure, full with firewalls and disaster recovery features galore. This is not only to beef up security of all of our online assets, but also to prep for our new business ventures, namely an online school. Such a massive undertaking in my opinion. But I'll have the necessary bandwidth come April.

I'll also have time for my family. 2 years is a long time to go all out. I've been doing 100 hour weeks lately, and I'm all done with it.

My rebranding under one name has been a success. Meaning we haven't lost any customers so far that I'm aware of. I think in April we will start a new marketing campaign both with cross marketing to our current customers of all of our services, and mass marketing. Maybe you can tell, but I'm very excited.
It's difficult to create a thread, and add a lot of adrenaline to the readers with your journey. Congrats!!

Just a humble proposal if it makes sense to you. Why you don't keep your consulting business by just extracting all the business to a new employee. So you will lose part of this important income and not all of it. Think it like a part of your businesses. You will just guide the employee whenever required, and give him/her incentives in case he/she brings even more clients...

Thank you for your contribution through this thread

Matto

FoolMatto
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 7, 2017
Italy
5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.
I love your criteria, reading them sounds really like the one I'm shaping in my mind.
I also was a developer, Iv been one for 15 or more years, now I'm managing projects and people completely remotely from Italy for an English startup.
But I really like your criteria and acquisition strategy.

Are these businesses spread around or near you?
Are all based in the USA?

Thanks a lot for sharing very interesting and motivating post.

Matto

FoolMatto
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 7, 2017
Italy
vetting the seller with due diligence while detecting scam artists (this is fun for me, but for a different topic to discussI
I'm really curious to know about the fun topic here.
Can you elaborate some more and explain how you deal with Scam artists?

Thanks a lot man this is really inspiring cause I also think that execution is the real problem I face.

Matto

FoolMatto
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 7, 2017
Italy
Yes, stay away from both of these two companies, they over inflate and should not be a first choice.
@OME You say this cause the price of businesses on "FEI or empireflippers." is higher that it would be on other platform or buying directly from the business owner? The overprice doesn't cover you for inexperience (in my case as I'm new to buy online businesses) or save time avoiding illegit sellers or scams?

Thanks OME.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.