The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From 0 To $240,000 Per Year PROFIT In 18 Months (Acquisition Entrepreneurship)

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
F*ck man I hope i can get to your level. Im running my Landscaping business and expecting i can make enough so i can buy or start off an internet company. Every time i read MJ book or see a story like yours I feel like i’m wasting my time and should just go for something digital. This year was horrible for me. I had a fallout with my dad then he got a heart attack. I had to sell my truck to pay bills and im not stuck with 5k in debt. So I been doing Landscaping to get out of my rabbit hole. The business pays me enough to live but i want to do better. Im done with having to trade time for money. Im tired if competing with me too business. Im tired of always dealing with penny pincher customers. What are some are some tips in becoming an online entrepreneur? What are trades or skills I should focus on. Creating people value is obviously important but i want to do so with my brain not my hands. Please any information you can provide will be appreciated. I don’t want you to tell me the hows. Instead guide me to the right information and I will figure it out. Im not as tech savvy as I should be for my age but god damn i will learn !!

Ok, so digital is such a good way to go whether product or service. This is simply due to lack of physical material to produce the product or service. This saves in a ton of overhead, from storage, to COGS, to shipping, etc. You sell X units, you pretty much get 100% profit minus software maintenance.

Digital could also mean having an automated web site that provides more value than most others.

This doesn't mean you have to build or buy a business that sells software. You could sell a service that requires human resources to do the labor, but services customers through the web.

For example, if we pick landscaping, I know I need mulch in the spring and fall. I also need trees cut which could be used as mulch.

If I went to a web site that gives me prices for each of these products/services and that I could just schedule a time for it to be delivered or done, I'd go with that contractor. You see, I hate calling around and getting quotes. If the site asked me how many square feet of mulch coverage, what depth, what kind of mulch, and allowed me to upload pictures, and then either automatically it calculated the price, or automatically sent me a quote within 30 minutes, I'd probably be sold.

I picked landscaping knowing very little about you just based on your post. The reason is that you should consider your core compitency when looking at running a business. If you know it, you're ahead of the game. That's not to say that you shouldn't look at other unrelated ventures.

You should also consider looking into WordPress. That is a standard web development platform that is easy to use and build web sites fast. Google it if you are not familiar with it.

You'll also need to hustle to save capital. Capital will allow you to either start a new business, or like me, buy one. There are so many affordable ones to be had. The internet is teaming with business brokerage firms like Flippa and BizBuySell. Check them out and browse their listings to get a feel for what's out there. Sure good sites sell fast, and you may not be ready to purchase, but at least you'll get an idea of what's out there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
From 0 to $240,000 per year profit in 18 months

I've been a follower of this forum for about a year now, had read the Millionaire Fastlane book, and finally have decided to tell my story. About a year and a half ago, I found myself unemployed and with near zero savings, two house payments, and a second baby on the way. Things were so dire that I was contemplating bankruptcy. I had just lost my slow-lane job with one of the original big three TV network companies. Worked there for about 3 years making the mistake of transitioning away from my career in computer consulting thinking that having a job would bring a certain level of security. It didn't. Man, those were dark days.

I decided to go back to consulting. But this time instead of taking on just one client full-time, I took on a second, and then a third, and then a fourth. A couple of them, I was billing 40 hours a week, working at the client site for 1, while telecommuting for the other. Clients 3 and 4 were part-time, billing 10-20 hours a week for each but at higher rates, also remote. FYI if you haven't heard, businesses more and more are allowing the telecommuting way. So, if you hate going into your job, look for opportunities to work from home. They're out there.

Well I did this for the past year+, and life has been shit busy, but I saved up a ton, about $200,000 in a year. That felt good. I felt secure with a lot of savings, I had multiple income streams, and the second baby now walks and can feed herself. My wife suggested we invest the $200K in money market funds or CDs. Sounds good, right? Earn 2.3% APY resulting in a whopping $383/mo.! I love my wife, but not for us.

Investing in low-yield financial instruments, and working for someone whether consulting or full time. These are strong characteristics of the slow lane. I've always had an entrepreneur’s mindset. I wanted financial freedom from the daily 9-5 grind, or for me this past year, the 5am-1am grind, including weekends. Even though I had the high-paying clients, if you think about it, it's never good to have all your nuts in very few baskets. And you definitely don't want your schedule dictated to you as consulting can often times do. Besides, money was still tied to my time, and this current work schedule was unsustainable. So having a business seemed like the way to go.

How did I start a business that gives me the financial freedom and time freedom that I so desired? Funny thing. I didn't. I didn't start a new business. Oh, I created a new corporate entity initially for my consulting. But I'm just not creative enough, nor risk averse with family and kids to take a chance there. And besides, burning a year of my life working my a$$ off to roll the dice on a new venture. Nah. So did this mean that I just wasn't going to pursue financial freedom, and maybe instead continue the 100 hours a week work load? No.

About 6 months ago, I started looking at buying software/internet businesses. Why reinvent the wheel? The number of businesses sold on the internet is growing rapidly. Sure there's a ton of scams, get-rich-quick opportunities offered by fake sellers. There are a lot of businesses that the seller just wants out because of failing operations. There are businesses that are a dying breed tied to the old world, pre-internet. For example, consider commercial printing companies which as a side note I was an owner of one about 10 years ago. I'll get back to this in a moment. There are businesses that run in a saturated space like many ecommerce, dropship/Amazon businesses that may have once been profitable, but have lost their edge due to the marketplace. Oh, and blogs, need I say more. Lots of bad opportunities!

So let me quickly detour farther into the past. 10 years ago, I was the owner of a print shop. We had lots of B2B customers looking for printed material on paper. They were all local customers, who often times paid late since we invoiced at NET 30. We had employees running the machines to print and cut and collate and staple. We had leased printers and other equipment. We had leased store-front space. We had a lot of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold), namely the paper itself. Ultimately we failed, and went out of business. Simply put, sales decreased over time, the business didn't scale, the cash flow was shit due to late payers, the overhead was horrendous, and having full-time employees was expensive and such a burden.

Years later, I tried blogging. Tech centric since I'm a programmer. That was a waste of time. AdSense brought in a few hundred bucks a month. But since I don't like writing (even this posting is painful to me), it turned out not to be worth it. I tried ecommerce, AliExpress/Shopify drop shipping of apparel. Did OK for a few months, but then the sales dried up, and I had difficulty coming up with new products to sell. Hated that as well. Definitely not sustainable. So ultimately I failed.

Which bring us back to now. I say I failed, which I'm sure many of you reading this have done so as well. But I say that to make a point. Failure is not truly failure when considering what it really is. As humans, we all fail, probably every day in one form or another. Most of our failures are inconsequential. We break something. We say the wrong thing at the wrong time. We buy some product that doesn't live up to our expectations. But guess what? We adjust our behaviors to mitigate risk so that next time, we do better. Business should be treated the same. Choices that you make in business can be driven by experiences, good and bad. I have a ton of that, especially the bad.

So based on my past failures, I came up with criteria for what my next business acquisition would require. Here they are:

1) No full-time employees. Didn't want the headache.
2) Profitable. Of course.
3) Years of proven profitability.
4) Digital/software products or services. No inventory. No drop shipping.
5) Scalable.
6) No physical location. Allowing work from home without need for leasing office/store.
7) Flexible business. Caters to expanding product and service line beyond current offerings to customers.
8) Low weekly hours necessary for owner operation.
9) Instant credit card sales, vs NET30 or other delayed payment processing.
10) Minimal marketing.
11) Full control. No partnerships. Limit dependencies with external entities.

So, I'm sitting on my $200,000 nest egg from all that hard work. I'm researching businesses for sale. And I find one that is a software company that sells proprietary accounting software. Promising! I'm a programmer with tons of experience in accounting. The business has been operational for 30 years, with recurring clients going back 10+ years, and has been run by this one couple who are well into their retirement years but hadn't pulled the trigger. And guess what? This software business satisfies all 11 of my requirements above. Well, I send their broker an offer of about $200K with half of it owner-financed for 5 years. They accept. Done deal. The profit annualized is $70,000 with an initial investment of $100,000. ROI = 70%. Nice! Since taking over, I'm happy with the performance, and I only spend maybe a couple hours a week on it. I outsource the programming.

Why stop there? I know MJ preaches monogamy. But I feel you can scale your company multiple ways. 1) expanding your sales in your current product/service line, and 2) buying existing businesses to generate more revenue. The only limiting factor of the second is that you will hit a limiting threshold in time when managing and marketing your multiple business holdings. Hopefully by then, you have gotten to a point where you can hire managers to offload that work. In any case, I next took over... a blog. I laugh when I write that because as mentioned before, I hated blogging. But I'll give you a little secret. You can hire writers, which I have a whole staff of them.

The blog is more than just a blog with hundreds of thousands of viewers per month. It has an online Facebook page with a quarter million followers, and a Facebook group with tens of thousands of passionate people whose lives revolve around my niche. And I am one of them, also passionate towards the content that we generate. So, I placed an offer, and got it, trademark included. $80K. We make money working with an advertising agency that deals with handling ad fill. Profit after paying our writing staff has been about $3500/mo. So annualized is $42,000 profit/year. ROI = 52.5%.

Next acquisition. I bought a web site backup service. We have hundreds of customers that we perform nightly backups of their sites as well as make sure their sites are operational 24x7. I outsource that work to offshore for cheap, but excellent labor. I love the guys who keep this business going strong day to day. I barely do anything but accounting for this. Maybe spend half an hour a day. I got it for $35,000. And annualized we make $30K in profit. ROI = 85%.

And most recently I've assumed a web marketing business. This too has a team of contractors that do the heavy lifting. Premium one-word, business-specific, domain name that garners 30K organic traffic a month. Very little ad spend. We generate about $8000/mo. in profit, again annualized to $96K profit for an ROI = 240%. I haven't figured out why the previous owner sold this other than he didn't want to do it anymore, and wanted to concentrate on his other business. He's got rep. I did my research.

So here's the grand total annualized profit:

Accounting Software Business: $70,000
Blog and Online Community: $42,000
Web Site Backup Business: $30,000
Web Marketing Business: $96,000

Total Annualized Profit: $238,000

Mind you, since these ventures take up maybe a total of a couple hours a day for me to run, I am free to focus on marketing for growth, while keeping a couple of my consulting clients. I quit the one client where I had to go into the office, and the other remote client, I just quit because I didn't have time for them. So I work from home now. The consulting dollars gets me to $400K a year, but I will most likely stop consulting next year to completely focus on my businesses. And my family and I are planning on moving to Central America this winter, because we love it there, and hell, I can work from anywhere that has internet.

One last note on being a serial entrepreneur. I look for synergies between my businesses and any future acquisitions. Each of the four ventures that I now have complement one or more of the other businesses, so I can leverage/cross-sell amongst the lot of them. This specific business model is starting to gain traction. But one challenge for me is branding when cross-selling. I haven't figured out how to consolidate the brands most efficiently. Each has their own distinct brand that current customers trust. And future customers may gravitate to the current branding. So not sure yet, but it's a good problem to have.

Where would you recommend me to go to buy an accounting software business?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For Facebook ads in order to gain page likes, if I do an ad spend of $1000 a month, I can get maybe 5000 new likes. 60,000 likes a year.

Just curious, why this approach? Have you confirmed that MORE LIKES = More Sales? More Profit? I'm just guessing that if you're going to spend $, it would go at something that moves the needle more directly.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
For Facebook ads in order to gain page likes, if I do an ad spend of $1000 a month, I can get maybe 5000 new likes. 60,000 likes a year. So it would take 4 years to get to half a million page likes / followers. I'm ok with that budget. The time horizon seems a bit long, but business is not a sprint. Although there must be a way to accelerate this process outside of allocating more ad spend. I'm open to some advice of supplementing the ad spend with something less expensive, and more efficient to get legitimate page likes. Anyone?

This is a really bad idea. Likes are a vanity metric and the FB page organic reach is only going to go lower. FB Groups have much better reach, and you will have to hire someone to keep them engaged but it'll be worth it.

What you can do is run FB ads to a lead magnet where they enter their email to get a freebie. Then on the autoresponder, let them know about your FB group and provide value and eventually sell them on the emails and the FB group.

On the FB ads themselves, people will react to the ad and you can invite them to like the page, then you can go to your FB group and invite the people who like your page to join.

You'll get the likes anyway by running FB ads so don't run a like campaign. It's a vanity metric that's likely to hurt your bottom line.

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
Just curious, why this approach? Have you confirmed that MORE LIKES = More Sales? More Profit? I'm just guessing that if you're going to spend $, it would go at something that moves the needle more directly.

We generate a lot of traffic from our Facebook page to our web site, which generates more ads earnings for us. I'm still trying to understand the organic news feed that Facebook manages, and how our page likes affect that.

I need to reach out to some people to give me guidance on that. I also need to crunch the analytics to see what our ROI would be for purchased page likes.

@biophase had a good suggestion about driving users to our Facebook group. We will definitely do that since it's a sticky model. Once in the group, we can market to them for free as long as they're members.

So it really comes down to, should I do both?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been reading about this strategy on Facebook. Organic traffic has decreased from Facebook followers. Do you think it is that severe? I do have a Facebook group that has almost 20,000 members. I guess I could drive people there with Facebook ads.

Like what MJ asked. What's the point of getting to 500,000 likes. Is this just some number that you want to pay for?

FB page reach is slow low now compared to before. Compare your interaction of a post in the group vs. the page. What does it look like?

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
This is a really bad idea. Likes are a vanity metric and the FB page organic reach is only going to go lower. FB Groups have much better reach, and you will have to hire someone to keep them engaged but it'll be worth it.

What you can do is run FB ads to a lead magnet where they enter their email to get a freebie. Then on the autoresponder, let them know about your FB group and provide value and eventually sell them on the emails and the FB group.

On the FB ads themselves, people will react to the ad and you can invite them to like the page, then you can go to your FB group and invite the people who like your page to join.

You'll get the likes anyway by running FB ads so don't run a like campaign. It's a vanity metric that's likely to hurt your bottom line.

I "like" it! Such a great idea! I'm sure it's being used a lot as a strategy, but thanks for this. So simple, effective, and efficient. I'm going to implement this.

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
Like what MJ asked. What's the point of getting to 500,000 likes. Is this just some number that you want to pay for?

FB page reach is slow low now compared to before. Compare your interaction of a post in the group vs. the page. What does it look like?

We run a media/news business where we interview celebrities, are invited to red carpet events, openings, etc. We get influencers reaching out to us about posting on our Facebook page and web site because of our shown following. The vanity aspect of it leads to real business opportunities. I just took this over so I'm trying to get a better understanding of the relationship between our following and the revenue generated from that following. That revenue includes both ads earnings and influencer paid marketing.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
I "like" it! Such a great idea! I'm sure it's being used a lot as a strategy, but thanks for this. So simple, effective, and efficient. I'm going to implement this.
Cool, reach out if you have any questions. FYI - The email list is the most valuable part of this strategy because that's the one you actually control.

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States

I'll run some tests with the same postings in both our page and the group. Let's see what the results are.

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
Just to give some real numbers on our Facebook page. So we have about 250,000 followers. This generates about 120,000 page views on our web site a month. We get a CPM of $10, meaning that we earn about $1200 a month from ads due to the Facebook traffic. Let's say we do an ad spend of $4000 a month for page likes. We currently average one like for $0.16. So, for $4000, we'll get about 25,000 page likes. In 10 months, we'll acquire the 250,000 extra followers. Theoretically, this will double our Facebook traffic, thus doubling our ad revenue from $1200 a month to $2400 a month. So after 10 months, we'll have spent $40,000. At that point in time, it would take us 33 months to recoup this cost from the ad spend. From an ROI perspective, earning $1200 extra a month yields $14,400 a year, and therefore ROI = 36%. I currently cannot measure the business benefit from the "increased authority" conveyed with 500,000 page likes vs 250,000 page likes. I can say though that influencer advertising with us is becoming a reality due to this authority. So I feel the need to grow the Facebook page in any way I can.

EDIT: I forgot to take into account the earnings that we would realize over the 10 months of ad spend. Ramping up over the 10 months, we'd earn on average an extra $600 per month. Think of it like, $120 extra, $240 extra, $360, $480, $600, $720, $840, $960, $1080, $1200. So, $6000 will have been recouped by the end of the 10 month campaign. Instead of 33 months to recoup total cost after campaign completed, it would be 27 months.

And then of course when I get ecommerce implemented for that business, it should be doubly effective when utilizing organic Facebook traffic.

One more thing. An investment of $40,000 in ad spend, if it reaps an extra $14,000 a year in profit, will increase the business valuation. Simply put, if you saw a business that makes $14,000 a year, how much would you offer to buy it? Could you offer $40,000? If so, then that ad spend does not become a sunk cost.

Last edited:

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
Wow, want a fantastic read! Thanks for sharing this @richardd .

For your software business, as a developer yourself, how closely are you involved with the dev process? Are you enhancing the product or just maintaining and supporting current clients? Did the current dev team come with the purchase of the company or did you find them yourself? How big is the team?

Thank you

Jarrod,

Sorry I missed this. We have one primary developer, and I have a couple secondary ones. I'm pretty involved in making architectural decisions with the primary guy. He's very good, so I ask him if he thinks one way is better than the other. We maintain and enhance the programs. Recently we implemented a new licensing model. I built the web server piece that handles the licensing authorization, I built the .NET component that communicated to the server when validating the license from the customer PC, and he integrated it into the programs. We also discuss issues with the programs, to try to fix problems that have arisen. As for the dev team, they are all contractors used by the former owners, but I was free to continue using them, or not if that were my choice.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just to give some real numbers on our Facebook page. So we have about 250,000 followers. This generates about 120,000 page views on our web site a month. We get a CPM of $10, meaning that we earn about $1200 a month from ads due to the Facebook traffic. Let's say we do an ad spend of $4000 a month for page likes. We currently average one like for $0.16. So, for $4000, we'll get about 25,000 page likes. In 10 months, we'll acquire the 250,000 extra followers. Theoretically, this will double our Facebook traffic, thus doubling our ad revenue from $1200 a month to $2400 a month. So after 10 months, we'll have spent $40,000. At that point in time, it would take us 33 months to recoup this cost from the ad spend. From an ROI perspective, earning $1200 extra a month yields $14,400 a year, and therefore ROI = 36%. I currently cannot measure the business benefit from the "increased authority" conveyed with 500,000 page likes vs 250,000 page likes. I can say though that influencer advertising with us is becoming a reality due to this authority. So I feel the need to grow the Facebook page in any way I can.

EDIT: I forgot to take into account the earnings that we would realize over the 10 months of ad spend. Ramping up over the 10 months, we'd earn on average an extra $600 per month. Think of it like, $120 extra, $240 extra, $360, $480, $600, $720, $840, $960, $1080, $1200. So, $6000 will have been recouped by the end of the 10 month campaign. Instead of 33 months to recoup total cost after campaign completed, it would be 27 months.

And then of course when I get ecommerce implemented for that business, it should be doubly effective when utilizing organic Facebook traffic.

One more thing. An investment of $40,000 in ad spend, if it reaps an extra $14,000 a year in profit, will increase the business valuation. Simply put, if you saw a business that makes $14,000 a year, how much would you offer to buy it? Could you offer $40,000? If so, then that ad spend does not become a sunk cost.

I highly doubt FB reach is linear. From my experience it drops as you get more likes.

Also it’s highly likely that FB reach will continue to drop in the future. It’s more likely that 500,000 likes will get you the same traffic next year as you are getting this year.

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
I highly doubt FB reach is linear. From my experience it drops as you get more likes.

Also it’s highly likely that FB reach will continue to drop in the future. It’s more likely that 500,000 likes will get you the same traffic next year as you are getting this year.

Yeah, reading up on this, competition for news feed space is growing and organic reach is declining. I like the idea of driving people towards our Facebook group, but I think growing our web site's forum makes more sense. The forum then captures way more repeat traffic and allows for direct advertising.

neoswarm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 23, 2019
Wow, this has to be the BEST thread at the moment on so many levels. Everyone loves a rags to riches story -- but nobody talks about the work to get there. (consulting, print shop, etc)

I'm a remote software architect with (5-6 weeks PTO) probably more time on my hands than most (that can go away anytime) - I built a .NET/JS app that helped my company process $30Million/monthly recurring (but making slowlane $). I have a ton of flexibility *at the moment* (not as much control).

So two questions:
1) you mentioned blogging was a waste of time -- did you mean from a financial standpoint?
[I started a blockchain site AND in process of taking on freelance blockchain dev on the side work to accelerate my personal learning on tech and marketing. CENTS grade is giving blockchain site a C range :p .] Part of me wonders if i'm being too boxed in "tech" but feel this could be a more "product opportunity" down the road as I understand more of it -- no plans on using Adsense :) ]

2) How much did your early experiences (like the print shop, blogging) contribute to your current business mindset/learning experience?

Dude you've been very generous with your time on this forum and really appreciate your thoughtful responses to everyone else here. So THANK you on behalf of all of us!! Best of luck to your future endeavors and raising your family!!!

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
Thanks. Appreciation back at you for feedback and giving us a little of your story.

I'll clarify blogging. I mentioned that one of my businesses is blogging. I just hate writing. So when I realized I could outsource it, then blogging became useful, and it diversified my holdings. I just preferred higher volume leading to thousands of dollars a month in earnings. A couple hundred bucks is not worth it to me. With my business model, this works out well. Instead of building a blog from scratch which could take years, I just bought one. It's pretty big, has a brand, and can also be monetized more beyond the ad dollars that it earns.

To answer your other question, my past experiences with failure completely drive my strategy now. I know what to avoid for me. Granted, others may be excellent at marketing and creative at product development. So, they can go the ecommerce route, build a new business, and become successful. I never want to discourage those entrepreneurs.

I just know for me what I'm good at. And what I'm not good at. So my list of 11 things to aim for when acquiring a business was born of those experiences. Honestly, most of them should be self evident like profitability. Others originate from feeling the pain of the alternatives, like having full time employees, or having an office. But most of them, if not all of the 11, concentrate on steady income while limiting overhead.

Clifford Starks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 13, 2019
From 0 to $240,000 per year profit in 18 months

I've been a follower of this forum for about a year now, had read the Millionaire Fastlane book, and finally have decided to tell my story. About a year and a half ago, I found myself unemployed and with near zero savings, two house payments, and a second baby on the way. Things were so dire that I was contemplating bankruptcy. I had just lost my slow-lane job with one of the original big three TV network companies. Worked there for about 3 years making the mistake of transitioning away from my career in computer consulting thinking that having a job would bring a certain level of security. It didn't. Man, those were dark days.

I decided to go back to consulting. But this time instead of taking on just one client full-time, I took on a second, and then a third, and then a fourth. A couple of them, I was billing 40 hours a week, working at the client site for 1, while telecommuting for the other. Clients 3 and 4 were part-time, billing 10-20 hours a week for each but at higher rates, also remote. FYI if you haven't heard, businesses more and more are allowing the telecommuting way. So, if you hate going into your job, look for opportunities to work from home. They're out there.

Well I did this for the past year+, and life has been shit busy, but I saved up a ton, about $200,000 in a year. That felt good. I felt secure with a lot of savings, I had multiple income streams, and the second baby now walks and can feed herself. My wife suggested we invest the $200K in money market funds or CDs. Sounds good, right? Earn 2.3% APY resulting in a whopping $383/mo.! I love my wife, but not for us.

Investing in low-yield financial instruments, and working for someone whether consulting or full time. These are strong characteristics of the slow lane. I've always had an entrepreneur’s mindset. I wanted financial freedom from the daily 9-5 grind, or for me this past year, the 5am-1am grind, including weekends. Even though I had the high-paying clients, if you think about it, it's never good to have all your nuts in very few baskets. And you definitely don't want your schedule dictated to you as consulting can often times do. Besides, money was still tied to my time, and this current work schedule was unsustainable. So having a business seemed like the way to go.

How did I start a business that gives me the financial freedom and time freedom that I so desired? Funny thing. I didn't. I didn't start a new business. Oh, I created a new corporate entity initially for my consulting. But I'm just not creative enough, nor risk averse with family and kids to take a chance there. And besides, burning a year of my life working my a$$ off to roll the dice on a new venture. Nah. So did this mean that I just wasn't going to pursue financial freedom, and maybe instead continue the 100 hours a week work load? No.

About 6 months ago, I started looking at buying software/internet businesses. Why reinvent the wheel? The number of businesses sold on the internet is growing rapidly. Sure there's a ton of scams, get-rich-quick opportunities offered by fake sellers. There are a lot of businesses that the seller just wants out because of failing operations. There are businesses that are a dying breed tied to the old world, pre-internet. For example, consider commercial printing companies which as a side note I was an owner of one about 10 years ago. I'll get back to this in a moment. There are businesses that run in a saturated space like many ecommerce, dropship/Amazon businesses that may have once been profitable, but have lost their edge due to the marketplace. Oh, and blogs, need I say more. Lots of bad opportunities!

So let me quickly detour farther into the past. 10 years ago, I was the owner of a print shop. We had lots of B2B customers looking for printed material on paper. They were all local customers, who often times paid late since we invoiced at NET 30. We had employees running the machines to print and cut and collate and staple. We had leased printers and other equipment. We had leased store-front space. We had a lot of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold), namely the paper itself. Ultimately we failed, and went out of business. Simply put, sales decreased over time, the business didn't scale, the cash flow was shit due to late payers, the overhead was horrendous, and having full-time employees was expensive and such a burden.

Years later, I tried blogging. Tech centric since I'm a programmer. That was a waste of time. AdSense brought in a few hundred bucks a month. But since I don't like writing (even this posting is painful to me), it turned out not to be worth it. I tried ecommerce, AliExpress/Shopify drop shipping of apparel. Did OK for a few months, but then the sales dried up, and I had difficulty coming up with new products to sell. Hated that as well. Definitely not sustainable. So ultimately I failed.

Which bring us back to now. I say I failed, which I'm sure many of you reading this have done so as well. But I say that to make a point. Failure is not truly failure when considering what it really is. As humans, we all fail, probably every day in one form or another. Most of our failures are inconsequential. We break something. We say the wrong thing at the wrong time. We buy some product that doesn't live up to our expectations. But guess what? We adjust our behaviors to mitigate risk so that next time, we do better. Business should be treated the same. Choices that you make in business can be driven by experiences, good and bad. I have a ton of that, especially the bad.

So based on my past failures, I came up with criteria for what my next business acquisition would require. Here they are:

1) No full-time employees. Didn't want the headache.
2) Profitable. Of course.
3) Years of proven profitability.
4) Digital/software products or services. No inventory. No drop shipping.
5) Scalable.
6) No physical location. Allowing work from home without need for leasing office/store.
7) Flexible business. Caters to expanding product and service line beyond current offerings to customers.
8) Low weekly hours necessary for owner operation.
9) Instant credit card sales, vs NET30 or other delayed payment processing.
10) Minimal marketing.
11) Full control. No partnerships. Limit dependencies with external entities.

So, I'm sitting on my $200,000 nest egg from all that hard work. I'm researching businesses for sale. And I find one that is a software company that sells proprietary accounting software. Promising! I'm a programmer with tons of experience in accounting. The business has been operational for 30 years, with recurring clients going back 10+ years, and has been run by this one couple who are well into their retirement years but hadn't pulled the trigger. And guess what? This software business satisfies all 11 of my requirements above. Well, I send their broker an offer of about $200K with half of it owner-financed for 5 years. They accept. Done deal. The profit annualized is $70,000 with an initial investment of $100,000. ROI = 70%. Nice! Since taking over, I'm happy with the performance, and I only spend maybe a couple hours a week on it. I outsource the programming.

Why stop there? I know MJ preaches monogamy. But I feel you can scale your company multiple ways. 1) expanding your sales in your current product/service line, and 2) buying existing businesses to generate more revenue. The only limiting factor of the second is that you will hit a limiting threshold in time when managing and marketing your multiple business holdings. Hopefully by then, you have gotten to a point where you can hire managers to offload that work. In any case, I next took over... a blog. I laugh when I write that because as mentioned before, I hated blogging. But I'll give you a little secret. You can hire writers, which I have a whole staff of them.

The blog is more than just a blog with hundreds of thousands of viewers per month. It has an online Facebook page with a quarter million followers, and a Facebook group with tens of thousands of passionate people whose lives revolve around my niche. And I am one of them, also passionate towards the content that we generate. So, I placed an offer, and got it, trademark included. $80K. We make money working with an advertising agency that deals with handling ad fill. Profit after paying our writing staff has been about $3500/mo. So annualized is $42,000 profit/year. ROI = 52.5%.

Next acquisition. I bought a web site backup service. We have hundreds of customers that we perform nightly backups of their sites as well as make sure their sites are operational 24x7. I outsource that work to offshore for cheap, but excellent labor. I love the guys who keep this business going strong day to day. I barely do anything but accounting for this. Maybe spend half an hour a day. I got it for $35,000. And annualized we make $30K in profit. ROI = 85%.

And most recently I've assumed a web marketing business. This too has a team of contractors that do the heavy lifting. Premium one-word, business-specific, domain name that garners 30K organic traffic a month. Very little ad spend. We generate about $8000/mo. in profit, again annualized to $96K profit for an ROI = 240%. I haven't figured out why the previous owner sold this other than he didn't want to do it anymore, and wanted to concentrate on his other business. He's got rep. I did my research.

So here's the grand total annualized profit:

Accounting Software Business: $70,000
Blog and Online Community: $42,000
Web Site Backup Business: $30,000
Web Marketing Business: $96,000

Total Annualized Profit: $238,000

Mind you, since these ventures take up maybe a total of a couple hours a day for me to run, I am free to focus on marketing for growth, while keeping a couple of my consulting clients. I quit the one client where I had to go into the office, and the other remote client, I just quit because I didn't have time for them. So I work from home now. The consulting dollars gets me to $400K a year, but I will most likely stop consulting next year to completely focus on my businesses. And my family and I are planning on moving to Central America this winter, because we love it there, and hell, I can work from anywhere that has internet.

One last note on being a serial entrepreneur. I look for synergies between my businesses and any future acquisitions. Each of the four ventures that I now have complement one or more of the other businesses, so I can leverage/cross-sell amongst the lot of them. This specific business model is starting to gain traction. But one challenge for me is branding when cross-selling. I haven't figured out how to consolidate the brands most efficiently. Each has their own distinct brand that current customers trust. And future customers may gravitate to the current branding. So not sure yet, but it's a good problem to have.
Awesome, glad you have come so far in your business venture!!

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States

I decided to promote our web site's forum using Facebook Boost Ads. I took the idea of offering a free something for people who register and post on our message board. Let's see how this does today.

pumpking