The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freight Forwarder for Shipping direct to FBA?

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
I'm planning out my next inventory order right now and am most likely going to be shipping sea freight.

I would prefer to handle and send my product to FBA myself, but I'm on the east coast right now, so I'm thinking it would be more economical and save time to just have it shipped to the west coast and have a freight forwarder send it to FBA.

By having my freight delivered to California and having a freight forwarder sort it and ship it to FBA from there, I know I can save 2 weeks (21 days at sea vs 35 days), and possibly some money.

I've found a few freight forwarders who have done this, and plan to call them up to get quotes, but I thought I'd ask for recommendations first.

I know a few people on here use FBA and live abroad, so I figure you'd have to use some type of service like this.

What is your experience? Any recommended companies to deal with?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I'm planning out my next inventory order right now and am most likely going to be shipping sea freight.

I would prefer to handle and send my product to FBA myself, but I'm on the east coast right now, so I'm thinking it would be more economical and save time to just have it shipped to the west coast and have a freight forwarder send it to FBA.

By having my freight delivered to California and having a freight forwarder sort it and ship it to FBA from there, I know I can save 2 weeks (21 days at sea vs 35 days), and possibly some money.

I've found a few freight forwarders who have done this, and plan to call them up to get quotes, but I thought I'd ask for recommendations first.

I know a few people on here use FBA and live abroad, so I figure you'd have to use some type of service like this.

What is your experience? Any recommended companies to deal with?
Just be aware that Amazon have been known to dump successful sellers by going direct to the suppliers in China and marketing the product themselves. On the other side of the picture, some China suppliers have begun to compete with their own customers by selling on Amazon.

By shipping direct to FBA you are giving both parties the opportunity to leave you out of the picture. You might consider using an independent fulfillment center who will ship to FBA.

Walter

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Just be aware that Amazon have been known to dump successful sellers by going direct to the suppliers in China and marketing the product themselves. On the other side of the picture, some China suppliers have begun to compete with their own customers by selling on Amazon.

By shipping direct to FBA you are giving both parties the opportunity to leave you out of the picture. You might consider using an independent fulfillment center who will ship to FBA.

Walter

I'm certainly aware of this possibility, but with my new product, I'm not very worried about them doing this - I don't think they could. I'm even less worried about the manufacturer doing the same thing for basically the same reason.

Manufacturers are already selling this product directly on Amazon, but are doing such a shitty job that they are struggling at a much lower price even.

Besides, if Amazon wants to figure out a manufacturer of a successful seller, they could do that no matter how hard you tried.

I've actually seen freight forwarding companies who will repackage all of your products, do QC control, split shipments up, etc. (basically everything I would be doing in person) and ship them to FBA. So the manufacturer wouldn't know how much of my inventory is going to Amazon, or where its going.

I've considered this before, but it will not be an issue in this situation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.