The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freedom: What needs to be heard/said?

JJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 11, 2012
California - OC
Unscripted has got me thinking...

Of course about business and strategies, but mainly it's helped me re-focus on why any of it matters at all.

Freedom.

And I'm shocked at how much nobody talks about freedom in my life. I don't.

So I'm going to and I want to ask for some help with this in mind. What do you think people need to hear about freedom?

Think about someone close to you who is totally not free - financial or otherwise.

What do you think needs to resonate straight into your mom's or your little brother's stomach. What would they need to hear to inspire a high value on freedom.

To put freedom back on top... more valuable than luxury transportation... more sexy than drinking champagne in jets.

If you're reading this then you probably get it, and maybe you also know several people within 1 degree of connectedness who just don't get it. And it pains you that they don't get it.

I am writing a song on this, and will be recording in 3-4 weeks and have a hunch that we have a lot to say on the matter. Even if we haven't thought about it much until now.

This isn't "fast lane" driven. Just something I want to do and believe needs to be done.

Will it save lost souls? Actually it just might. I talk to so many people who've leaned on music to get inspired and open their eyes when they felt stuck.

What else do you think needs to be said?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I believe that freedom is the number 1 item on every single person's list of desires - higher than anything else by far including love, health and money (which is often way down on the list). I've surveyed over a thousand people about this and it's true almost every single time. It drives almost everything. When someone tries to sell me something to help me make money they're selling me freedom. Either financial freedom or freedom from a problem.

Freedom is everything.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I concur.

I think most people can grasp the freedom concept but mention that to them and a variety of excuses will follow.

- I need to work to make money to pay my bills so yeah I'd love to be free of my job but I have no other options.

It's getting people to believe that there are alternatives to a job and to break free from the scripted lifestyle/mindset...but good luck getting that through to people who have lived it their whole lives and especially so if they are somewhat comfortable in their current routine + confined by debt. It's understandable how people trap themselves when everything around them says they are doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 11, 2012
California - OC
but good luck getting that through to people who have lived it their whole lives

I know it can be frustrating to see people getting in their own way but MJ is one person using his ideas and talent having success getting through.

Have you ever had a song stuck in your head that was too embarrasing to admit? And maybe you're walking to your car and catch yourself singing or humming it?

If i hear Shania Twain singing "Man, i feel like a woman" it gets stuck everytime.

I am not a woman. Have no desire to be one or feel like one.

So i thought why not try writing a catchy tune that will get stuck and be profitible to your life. Like "Man, this feels like the fastlane".

Or "Damn, I'm not action faking" lol. (You gotta say it to the tune of the Shania Twain song).

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I believe that freedom is the number 1 item on every single person's list of desires - higher than anything else by far including love, health and money (which is often way down on the list). I've surveyed over a thousand people about this and it's true almost every single time. It drives almost everything. When someone tries to sell me something to help me make money they're selling me freedom. Either financial freedom or freedom from a problem.

Freedom is everything.

i would say

1 ) health because without it , freedom doesn't really mean anything

2) freedom because we aren't on earth to be stupid animals : work-eat-reproduce-die

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
i would say

1 ) health because without it , freedom doesn't really mean anything
2) freedom because we aren't on earth to be stupid animals : work-eat-reproduce-die
Health is important but it's not the one thing we all want more than anything else. When pressed, people would rather have freedom over health if I ask them if they'd prefer to be sick or in jail or oppressed or trapped they prefer freedom every time. I'm not referring to financial freedom though. I'm talking about general do-what-you-want-with-it freedom as a human being. I put it as this question "what's the one thing we all want more than anything else?".

The rule (I apply to illustrate the power behind the freedom force) is that if they can think of even one person who whom it isn't then it's not the one thing we all want more than anything else. If they say "health" I ask them if they can think of even one person for whom health is not the thing they want the most and of course there are millions of examples, smokers come to mind. Even a smoker would rather have bad health that be locked up in jail, oppressed or trapped. Then usually money, love, acceptance...etc make their way onto the list but in every case there are many examples of people for whom those things are not at the top of the list and yet they can not think of one person who doesn't want freedom right now - more than anything, if they don't have it already.

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
this topic is interesting

a lot of people say " my work is my life ".

we see a lot of gurus who are giving seminars until death

it does not make sense at all to me. AT ALL

if work is needed for some natural reason then i prefer to choose what to do and when in order to train the body and mind

rather than to be a slave every day.

nature, God or anything above us gave us a brain and intelligence.

there is a reason for that

human evolution

when i am free, i will know exactly what to do everyday for centuries

i have so much to do : hobbies, spirituality, human evolution .

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
we see a lot of gurus who are giving seminars until death it does not make sense at all to me. AT ALL
I can see myself doing it until I die but then again, I love it but I'm not a guru. I don't know anyone who calls themselves a guru though. The guys who do seminars until they die (Zig Ziglar comes to mind) just loved doing it so he did it.

when i am free, i will know exactly what to do everyday for centuries
^^ LOVE THIS! ^^

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
While many may aspire to freedom, few can actually handle it (think about it, how many can control the freedom to drink, over eat, smoke, take drugs, spend cash on crap, etc). They self sabotage.

It takes a strong will to live a life of true choice. Most prefer to live a life without freedom, with boundaries that confine them, then complain about those boundaries.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
While many may aspire to freedom, few can actually handle it (think about it, how many can control the freedom to drink, over eat, smoke, take drugs, spend cash on crap, etc). They self sabotage.

It takes a strong will to live a life of true choice. Most prefer to live a life without freedom, with boundaries that confine them, then complain about those boundaries.

I also think that it is difficult for most to deal with it.... Although we are no stupid animals we are kept in an environment of limitation since the moment we are born ... I mean at first freedom is great because you will do what you want to do but what if that won't fullfill you anymore? You will have to decide every day, every hour, every minute what you want to do right now and that might lead to frustration a la "so this is it?" so you will build a routine to live in ... and than you are captured again ... kinda like limit yourself ...

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I mean at first freedom is great because you will do what you want to do but what if that won't fullfill you anymore?
All I have to do to feel totally ecstatic with freedom is think about being a slave and dragging my arse out of bed at 5:30am to go and do something shitty with idiots and get paid very badly for it. I'll take aimless boredom over that any time. Freedom is fantastic, there are millions of things to do. Fulfilment is only a slight shift in perspective away. I'll admit it's difficult to imagine anyone who thinks "freedom sucks - I'd rather go back to work and stress". It's the thing to be afraid of the least.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
All I have to do to feel totally ecstatic with freedom is think about being a slave and dragging my arse out of bed at 5:30am to go and do something shitty with idiots and get paid very badly for it. I'll take aimless boredom over that any time. Freedom is fantastic, there are millions of things to do. Fulfilment is only a slight shift in perspective away. I'll admit it's difficult to imagine anyone who thinks "freedom sucks - I'd rather go back to work and stress". It's the thing to be afraid of the least.

@V8Bill ok ... let's talk about that in a few months again because right now I am really scared of that upcoming time ( yes I know , I am crazy :happy: )
I get more things done after work than on my days off and feel happier about it ( well I also love my job although I have to wake up at 5 a.m. and work for not as much money as I would like to get for the job I am doing but I can help other people which fullfills me :smile2:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
@V8Bill ok ... let's talk about that in a few months again because right now I am really scared of that upcoming time ( yes I know , I am crazy :happy: )
I get more things done after work than on my days off and feel happier about it ( well I also love my job although I have to wake up at 5 a.m. and work for not as much money as I would like to get for the job I am doing but I can help other people which fullfills me :smile2:
Please don't worry. You'll love it and will discover a whole new life. It'll open your life up to go in any number of amazing new directions.

Re: your job; jobs can have benefits (apart from pay) and can also be fulfilling. Nothing wrong with that, in fact if you have to work it's much better if you like things about it but is it the best use of you? Maybe, maybe not. Some people love their jobs and that's great but if you don't and crave the ability to do your own thing then stride confidently towards personal and hopefully financial freedom - you'll love it. I'd put money on it.

Last edited:

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Please don't worry. You'll love it and will discover a whole new life. It'll open your life up to go into any number of amazing new directions.

Re: your job; jobs can have benefits (apart from pay) and can also be fulfilling. Nothing wrong with that, in fact if you have to work it's much better if you like things about it but is it the best use of you? Maybe, maybe not. Some people love their jobs and that's great but if you don't and crave the ability to do your own thing then stride confidently towards personal and hopefully financial freedom - you'll love it. I'd put money on it.

well we'll see ... I think about a test run for three months and then start to work in my job again but only part-time ;) I hope you are right :smile:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I am, You may not discover how awesome you are until you're given the freedom to fully explore it. Freedom opens a door and who knows what's on the other side?

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
All I have to do to feel totally ecstatic with freedom is think about being a slave and dragging my arse out of bed at 5:30am to go and do something shitty with idiots and get paid very badly for it.]

I have those moments of realisation from time to time - this morning at 9:30am I caught the lift downstairs to my car and realised all of the other cars were out of the parking area - they were all at work. I said to my wife, "damn we have it good!"

Then speaking to my mother on the phone...she's worked her whole life and getting messed around by her employer. "Job security doesn't exist", I tell her, "only the illusion of job security". On the flip side of freedom is "safety" - I don't think most people realise how unfree their lifestyle is - for example, a job in Australia, a house in Australia, a whole bunch of Australian dollars in an Aussie bank, even shares in Australian companies. So when the economy tanks and companies struggle, their assets devalue, they can lose their job, their cost of living goes up due to a lower currency (lower purchasing power).

But instead they'd prefer to think they're taking "the safe route".

JJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 11, 2012
California - OC
Internal limitations of your freedoms is liberating. External limitations of your freedoms is anti-liberating.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Jobs are fast becoming the new welfare payment. I realised a while ago why many bosses treat employees with such contempt. I'm guessing the thoughts might go something like this...

"Really? Really?! You can't think of anything that you can do to make a dollar and earn or fight for your own freedom apart from begging me for a few measly dollars? Fine, what do I care? Sure, I'll make money off you. Dig that hole over there and move the dirt into a pile and don't look at me. You disgust me human." Obviously a slight dramatisation but is it any wonder they prefer to hang out after hours with their business mates and not mere employees?

Are jobs essential? Sure. Am I being too harsh? Obviously. But I can't think of too many bosses I've had that were my friends or too many friends that become my bosses that didn't crumble the friendship. I drove a taxi for a friend of mine once - he was cool...or maybe just a clever boss. But a job very rarely leads to personal freedom unless an employee loves what they do. What's the test I apply when people kick up and say "Why?! I love my job!!" They get all offended when I try to discuss anything as radical as early retirement from the grind (or as MJ taught us - effective autonomy) so I test them..."Would you do your job for free if they didn't pay you?". If the answer is yes - great. If the answer is no then they don't love it as much as tolerate it.

I once sat next to a Urologist (I believe we have one in the house - yo bro!) on a flight back from the U.S. to Australia. We spoke at length about the topic of freedom and money and...well you can imagine being stuck sitting next to me on a flight for 17 hours and I asked him the same question. His reply surprised me even though he wasn't being literal. "Bill, I'd walk out in the middle of an operation in a patient's heartbeat if I wasn't getting paid as much as I am". That illustrated my point a little too well because I always thought that Doctors were one of the few careers that attracted people that cared so much that yes, they would do it for free. Others include, musicians, some nurses, ambos...etc but it all goes to form my strong personal opinion that nearly everyone hates their job on some level. The people who seem the most fulfilled are business people with a certain level of autonomy - if not "freedom".

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I realised a while ago why many bosses treat employees with such contempt.

Way off topic, sorry OP.

I despise 99% of my employee's because they all act like they are owed something they didn't earn, because according to them I am the "evil rich guy", it's "not fair" that I am rich and they are not, they're lazy, inept, and have way more control over me than they should thanks to anti-employer legislation and regulation.

They all "deserve" to be millionaires, yet they are almost all worthless twits.

Rant over.

What do you think needs to resonate straight into your mom's or your little brother's stomach. What would they need to hear to inspire a high value on freedom.

To put freedom back on top... more valuable than luxury transportation... more sexy than drinking champagne in jets.

Freedom is a CHOICE.

That's what people need to understand.

"To put freedom back on top" requires choosing to put it back on top, over the immediate gratification crap.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
I once sat next to a Urologist (I believe we have one in the house - yo bro!) on a flight back from the U.S. to Australia. We spoke at length about the topic of freedom and money and...well you can imagine being stuck sitting next to me on a flight for 17 hours and I asked him the same question. His reply surprised me even though he wasn't being literal. "Bill, I'd walk out in the middle of an operation in a patient's heartbeat if I wasn't getting paid as much as I am". That illustrated my point a little too well because I always thought that Doctors were one of the few careers that attracted people that cared so much that yes, they would do it for free. Others include, musicians, some nurses, ambos...etc but it all goes to form my strong personal opinion that nearly everyone hates their job on some level. The people who seem the most fulfilled are business people with a certain level of autonomy - if not "freedom".

I have to break a lance for the doctor... they have to work for half a day most of the time and are not allowed to do a single mistake .. so I guess the idealism of helping others faded with time ... fact is that in a clinic the most important thing is not to help people but to make money ... many save a lot of money by employing less and less personal so there is a lot of stress on the single doctor/nurse whatsoever...

My friend's husband had to go to the hospital because of issues with his diabetes and after a whole day he asked the nurse at 11:30 p.m. for a slice of bread because he didn't eat since breakfast and he was hungry ... the nurse's answer was " I am hungry too." There were more of these answers until my friend(who is an elderly care nurse herself) told her:" how dare you to talk to a patient like this? I know our job is hard and I thought such words too from time to time but I would have never dared to tell them to someone's face! You do love your job, don't you?" The nurse was embarressed...

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Freedom is a CHOICE.

That's what people need to understand.

"To put freedom back on top" requires choosing to put it back on top, over the immediate gratification crap.

I agree with you that freedom is a choice but most people value their lifestyle more than freedom because to be free and keep the same lifestyle means a lot of work and sacrifices while freedom seems to be something "unrealistic and far away" so it seems better to them to have a bird in the hand than two in the bush. ... unfortunately.

JJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 11, 2012
California - OC
Thanks for your input so far. Its got me thinking about this more frequently and am scribbling some ideas. Planned to produce something this summer with some very talented people by September.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
Need to remind myself blood was shed and lives were lost in the name of freedom.

Freedom must be fought for, not taken for granted.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
May 24, 2017
Spain

I couldn't agree more.
Many people like the idea of freedom but only when it comes easy, they assume they are entitled to it and if it requires the minimum amount of effort they choose to find comfort in their small cell.

I remember an extreme case I experienced while volunteering with a NGO dealing with victims of domestic violence:

There was a woman who was totally dominated by her husband and she was beaten frequently, she was strong enough to break up with him and seek for help. But, when she had her shot to retake her freedom (a new life in a different city, we even found her a job) she decided that she was going to get back with her exhusband because, despite of the beating she believed he loved her and life like that wasn't that bad.

I could not believe it!

As you say: there are certain people who do not know how to handle it and decide to self sabotage.

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China
Unscripted has got me thinking...

Of course about business and strategies, but mainly it's helped me re-focus on why any of it matters at all.

Freedom.

And I'm shocked at how much nobody talks about freedom in my life. I don't.

So I'm going to and I want to ask for some help with this in mind. What do you think people need to hear about freedom?

Think about someone close to you who is totally not free - financial or otherwise.

If you're reading this then you probably get it, and maybe you also know several people within 1 degree of connectedness who just don't get it. And it pains you that they don't get it.

I am writing a song on this, and will be recording in 3-4 weeks and have a hunch that we have a lot to say on the matter. Even if we haven't thought about it much until now.

This isn't "fast lane" driven. Just something I want to do and believe needs to be done.

Will it save lost souls? Actually it just might. I talk to so many people who've leaned on music to get inspired and open their eyes when they felt stuck.

What else do you think needs to be said?

If you want to teach people about freedom, you have to SHOW them how.
They have to see it happening to YOU.
Lead by example.
And either 1 of 2 things will happen.

1) Their mind will start to shift that, "maybe I can do this too"? And they'll be brave enough to ask you how you did it and do what you actually tell them to do. Whether they do it or not, is up to them.

But, here's the thing.

2) Don't get mad or upset with them when they come to you with BS excuses on why they didn't accomplish X task. And this is HARD. Have a poker face and say, "Okay. If that's the decision you made". And go about your life.
It is not your job to drag them across the finish line. They have to go through the 'growing pains' just as you did. But they have an advantage when they're lost in the fog - you as their guide post.

There is a mental shift that a lifelong complainer has to make. And this shift is scary. You feel exposed. And you will feel lonely.
But the rewards on the other side - not the physical rewards, but the character development - will be abundant.

It can take time and patience to free your mind. Just remember everyone is going at their own pace - or not at all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.