The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Ok so this might be a long post.

I've tried my hand at freelancing lead generation and just couldn't get myself to go out and sell my services. I guess I'm too scared of sales. Too scared to go talk to people about myself. I've always been an introvert and an expert procrastinator.

So now I've sort of "given up" the idea of working for myself now and am working towards getting a web development job for now. I started learning HTML and CSS, and now onto Javascript.

But after reading through this thread I'm starting to second guess that decision. I really WANT to work for myself but the hardest part is the procrastination and fear of selling (especially cold calling).

Last time I cold called someone I got sweaty and hung up the phone immediately when they answered!

I WANT to have freedom. I WANT to work for myself. I DON'T want to work a 9-5 job.

I got laid off from my previous restaurant job due to the pandemic and my family is pressuring me to get new skills to land a better job, but I don't want a job. I like being at home and doing what I want on my own time.

I don't know if this would be right for me. I tend not to put in the work necessary to see something through. At least I'm self aware enough to know that I guess.

What do you guys think?

Maybe a job is the best thing for me at this point so I don't invest time and money into a program only to ditch it later on.

Is Fox's program different? I know you have to put in the work yourself but I feel like I need some accountability unlike other courses.

</ramble>

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

I've tried my hand at freelancing lead generation and just couldn't get myself to go out and sell my services. I guess I'm too scared of sales. Too scared to go talk to people about myself. I've always been an introvert and an expert procrastinator.

So now I've sort of "given up" the idea of working for myself now and am working towards getting a web development job for now. I started learning HTML and CSS, and now onto Javascript.

But after reading through this thread I'm starting to second guess that decision. I really WANT to work for myself but the hardest part is the procrastination and fear of selling (especially cold calling).

Last time I cold called someone I got sweaty and hung up the phone immediately when they answered!

I WANT to have freedom. I WANT to work for myself. I DON'T want to work a 9-5 job.

I got laid off from my previous restaurant job due to the pandemic and my family is pressuring me to get new skills to land a better job, but I don't want a job. I like being at home and doing what I want on my own time.

I don't know if this would be right for me. I tend not to put in the work necessary to see something through. At least I'm self aware enough to know that I guess.

What do you guys think?

Maybe a job is the best thing for me at this point so I don't invest time and money into a program only to ditch it later on.

Is Fox's program different? I know you have to put in the work yourself but I feel like I need some accountability unlike other courses.

</ramble>

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

What do you guys think?

</ramble>
We built in a lot of accountability into the program.

You got weekly live calls, smaller accountability groups, email support, the private FB group etc. We are in there every day to get back to any issue.

If you want to make this happen we will be there to help (a lot).
But I can't make that choice for you.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2019
Channel your inner Andy Dufrain... let this be your sewer of shit that leads to freedom

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 25, 2019
I’ve been in this program for about 2 months now, and I have no idea where you’d find all of this in one place. Fox ain’t gonna do it for you, but he’ll sure as hell help you. I think if you got onto his focus of helping people instead of trying to convince them, sales won’t be as scary. I have no doubt that my involvement in Fox’s group will lead to me ditching my current job, even going about it at a snail’s pace like I’ve been doing.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I guess I'm too scared of sales.
The one you want more, wins.

Right now, it sounds like your need to avoid "things you aren't good at" is more pressing than your desire for working for yourself.

Ultimately, this is a choice ... a matter of what you value most. And right now, aversion to uncomfortable processes is winning.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
We built in a lot of accountability into the program.

You got weekly live calls, smaller accountability groups, email support, the private FB group etc. We are in there every day to get back to any issue.

If you want to make this happen we will be there to help (a lot).
But I can't make that choice for you.
I can back this one up! I've been in the group from the beginning of the year. At first I was busy with life, with my dayjob and with making excuses. I didn't make much progress. I was mostly spending my time on learning new stuff that I didn't need yet and working for my first free portfolio project. But the smaller accountability groups really pushed me to start selling.

Now I've sent out cold e-mails, I've been prospecting on PeoplePerHour and I got my first paying client through Facebook groups. It's a small client, but still it's amazing progress for me personally. I've always been afraid to do sales. Especially in this case, I'm quite new at web design. I don't have anything to show yet. But thanks to this course and the group I did it, and it's only the beginning! I'm working hard on the project and after that I'll have something to show and can start getting even bigger projects.

The coursework and videos prepared me well for the sales calls I've made. Really, the content is amazing and I was amazed to see how much it helped me during my first sales calls. This course is 100% worth your money and time! Just the content alone (and I've only gone through about half of it) it worth it.

On top of that we have the private fb group, weekly calls and a smaller accountability group. There's a lot of people helping each other out. The accountability group is the best imo, We get together once a week. During our call we try to keep each other on track and help each other with questions/problems. And besides that I find it really motivating to see all the others in the program that all started from a similar position pulling in big deals.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018
I guess I'm too scared of sales. Too scared to go talk to people about myself. I've always been an introvert and an expert procrastinator.

I really WANT to work for myself but the hardest part is the procrastination and fear of selling (especially cold calling).

When you start cold calling you are going to F*ck up. You'll make a little script and you'll still mess it up and sound silly. Just accept that and embrace it. You get more comfortable with it over time.

Or maybe the pain isn't intense enough to make you break your comfort zone. Maybe this will help. MJ shares this story in Unscripted, but it's been shared many times elsewhere before.

A farmer is sitting on his porch in a chair, hanging out. A friend walks up to the porch to say hello, and hears an awful yelping, squealing sound coming from inside the house.

"What's that terrifyin' sound?" asks the friend.
"It's my dog" said the farmer. "He's sittin' on a nail."
"Why doesn't he just sit up and get off it?" asks the friend.

The farmer deliberates on this and replies: "Doesn't hurt enough yet."

Are you in enough pain? Is the pain of a job worse than the pain of a very quick phone call?

Once you make one or two calls and you realise that the world hasn't caved in and you're still alive you will find yourself with a bit more confident and will keep going. Things in motion tend to stay in motion.

Reactions: Fox

Milos

New Contributor
Jul 11, 2017
Serbia
Right now, it sounds like your need to avoid "things you aren't good at" is more pressing than your desire for working for yourself.
This. Your life is probably too comfortable right now if cold calls are a problem. Since I made my life much less comfy by having kids and working a factory job, I find that doing cold calls is a breeze. Now I just go directly to the shop/business and offer them a website. There is no things I'm good at, or things I suck at. I just do whatever needs to be done right now.

Doing these uncomfortable things is a path to liberation. You will either learn to embarrass yourself, or you will have to crash your life so it becomes much less comfortable. I don't think you can achieve anything in life without at least one of these things being true. The obstacle truly is the way.

Last edited:

czeszejko.jakub

New Contributor
May 23, 2020
Norway
Everything you write about is so convincing and so adequate to my expectations that I can't sleep with the hope that you will accept me in your program. I have already read many posts on the forum and outside, I have been doing it constantly since I am looking for knowledge that will allow me to start towards Fast Lane. And all my ideas and reflections come down to one thing: I need a mentor, I need to start with the right basic knowledge. I read and keep looking, waiting for an answer to my application. Greetings :)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Everything you write about is so convincing and so adequate to my expectations that I can't sleep with the hope that you will accept me in your program. I have already read many posts on the forum and outside, I have been doing it constantly since I am looking for knowledge that will allow me to start towards Fast Lane. And all my ideas and reflections come down to one thing: I need a mentor, I need to start with the right basic knowledge. I read and keep looking, waiting for an answer to my application. Greetings :)
Thanks for applying Jakub. We will be in touch very soon.

If you need me in the meantime just hit me up via private message on here.

Jeff Noel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
After going through this thread, I believe the biggest fear of people on the fence is all about the following:
But if you can't get hired, your skill is useless.
And if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that @Fox is the man to help you sell, especially in web design. People who have been around long enough know that Fox transpires confidence and motivation.

This bundle is a no brainer for people interested in freedom through a web design business.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I am incredibly excited and honored to be a part of this. Thank you, @Kak , for accepting me...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
After going through this thread, I believe the biggest fear of people on the fence is all about...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock