The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Founder of startup wants HUGE salary from the beginning

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Alright, so we are getting ready to go for funding, and the founder wants a HUGE salary --150k. from the get go.

long story short, he doesnt know much about startups, he just has a great idea.

he says that he heard that a cutoff on salary for a startup founder should be no more than 150k so he will just go from there.

i feel like thats a problem. from my research, i saw that a startup founder should first start with 50k.

i have equity in this as well.

1) is this a potential problem?
2) if yes, how should i go about this situation in terms of approaching him and having a conversation about it? he listens to opinions and advice...but i dont think he understands them well...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Alright, so we are getting ready to go for funding, and the founder wants a HUGE salary --150k. from the get go.

he says that he heard that a cutoff on salary for a startup founder should be no more than 150k so he will just go from there.

i feel like thats a problem. from my research, i saw that a startup founder should first start with 50k.

2) if yes, how should i go about this situation in terms of approaching him and having a conversation about it? he listens to opinions and advice...but i dont think he understands them well...
It ultimately depends on how much funding is available. For startups with several million in funding, it's not unheard of for the founders to take hundreds of thousands off the table. The way you can justify this is because if the founder is working his a$$ off to get a company with millions of funding off the ground, he needs at least something to live on. But this is the case of companies mountains of cash at their disposal.

But in this case, it sounds like the founder is more interested in his salary than owning valuable stock from a revenue generating company. Someone should probably school him.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

Your founder wants 150k a year? For what. o_O

If he's not a businessman, if he's not a salesman for the company (which the CEO should be) driving revenue, then what good can he do for the company (beyond what he's already done)?

Potential problem? Yes. You don't need a dummy who doesn't understand numbers, and the subtle nuances that drive those numbers, capriciously demanding a ridiculous salary.

Some founders get a huge salary, yes. How much cash you have in the bank to be paying salaries?

So do hedge fund managers. Some make $100M+ a year. Some make much less. Depends on the situation.

How much revenue do you guys have coming in? How much cash flow? What are your margins?

You're going to pay 12K+ a month to a founder? Damn. You guys must be making like at least twice that already... right?

Talk to your founder. Talk to him about you company's current income and (realistic) projected income. Does that income support his salary demands?

A true believer in your collective cause will sacrifice short-term income for long-term success. The "founding," the birthing of the company, happened in the past. If you want it to mature, your founder must care more about rewards for future work than rewards for past work.

Last edited:

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Your CEO sounds more of an employee then an entrepreneur. I think a while ago @MJ DeMarco made a video about this on how he almost invested in a start-up & right off the bat the CEO wanted 100k a year. I'm sure he will have an interesting opinion on this.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your CEO sounds more of an employee then an entrepreneur. I think a while ago @MJ DeMarco made a video about this on how he almost invested in a start-up & right off the bat the CEO wanted 100k a year. I'm sure he will have an interesting opinion on this.

Yup, and that company did not survive. Hung around for a year or two and then folded. Saved myself at least 6 figures.

Its a sign of unrealistic, "me first" expectations. I'd be only interested in entrepreneurs who clearly have skin in the game, and are 100% all in. $100K is quite the return from the point of view of a "worse case scenario".

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

What is your position in the company? I'd interested to hear what he says if you ask for $100k for your salary. What kind of money are you trying to raise?

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Thanks for the input everyone. So a reoccuring theme with me and the founder has been communication issues.

In order to get my point across... it would really help if i had some numbers with me... is there a case study or something available in regards to this scenario of startup founder initial salary vs success??? LMFAO oh man im reaching here aint i

but yeah, i need to figure out how to transition him from an employee to an entrepreneur very quickly, or at least make him more open minded. a lot of his plans contradict a lot of expert people's advices and he can be resistant to accept them sometimes because of doubt. what im saying is that he is not as teachable as someone like me.

though its not always bad, he has so far mostly taken all the good advice, but the change comes with a lot of resistance.

What is your position in the company? I'd interested to hear what he says if you ask for $100k for your salary. What kind of money are you trying to raise?

im in operations, not an officer, but manager level due to my inexperience in the working world.

we are trying to get venture funded because of contacts available from VC firms

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for the input everyone. So a reoccuring theme with me and the founder has been communication issues.

In order to get my point across... it would really help if i had some numbers with me... is there a case study or something available in regards to this scenario of startup founder initial salary vs success??? LMFAO oh man im reaching here aint i

but yeah, i need to figure out how to transition him from an employee to an entrepreneur very quickly, or at least make him more open minded. a lot of his plans contradict a lot of expert people's advices and he can be resistant to accept them sometimes because of doubt. what im saying is that he is not as teachable as someone like me.

though its not always bad, he has so far mostly taken all the good advice, but the change comes with a lot of resistance.

im in operations, not an officer, but manager level due to my inexperience in the working world.

The key thing you said here was "I need to figure out how to transition him from an employee to an entrepreneur very quickly.'
This is a bit like finding a girl that you'd like to marry, marrying her, and then saying 'I want kids. She doesn't. I'm going to have to find a way to change her mind.'

looking back on my career, I've wasted way too much time on bosses like this. If you're the CEO of a company, you need to already have most of your ducks in a row. Some stupidity is ok, a lot is not. This guy is too far towards the 'not enough ducks in a row' end of the spectrum. Its not going to end well. I'd go find another opportunity.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Do you guys have any experience in start ups? Any angel money? You say you want venture money for contacts, does that mean the business already has the cash flow to pay him that salary?

As mentioned it will raise red flags immediately if you manage to get an audience with a VC. A rockstar guy might be able to talk around the salary, but it is almost surely a deal killer.

Warren Buffett only makes $100k in salary, ask your "CEO" why he's worth more.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
The key thing you said here was "I need to figure out how to transition him from an employee to an entrepreneur very quickly.'
This is a bit like finding a girl that you'd like to marry, marrying her, and then saying 'I want kids. She doesn't. I'm going to have to find a way to change her mind.'

looking back on my career, I've wasted way too much time on bosses like this. If you're the CEO of a company, you need to already have most of your ducks in a row. Some stupidity is ok, a lot is not. This guy is too far towards the 'not enough ducks in a row' end of the spectrum. Its not going to end well. I'd go find another opportunity.

yeah except opportunities like this dont come so easy. i think ill take a chance at a serious talk with him in regards to shifting his mindset.

he's an engineer so he is naturally always thinking about the worst case scenario and whatnot, but at the same time he is smart enough to listen to different perspectives.

im seriously going to ask him to find one startup entrepreneur expert that will say its okay for him to take 150k at the begnining, and if he does, then i wont ever question him again.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Do you guys have any experience in start ups? Any angel money? You say you want venture money for contacts, does that mean the business already has the cash flow to pay him that salary?

As mentioned it will raise red flags immediately if you manage to get an audience with a VC. A rockstar guy might be able to talk around the salary, but it is almost surely a deal killer.

Warren Buffett only makes $100k in salary, ask your "CEO" why he's worth more.

the MVP software hasnt come out yet, so no, we havent gotten any traction.

no experience in startups, though i am more knowledgeable on it from observations, readings, etc.
yeah im going to mention that he will kill the VC funding money if he does that and he will make our startup less attractive.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

I missed the part where this is very much of your business. Did you put up 25% of the initial money or something?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I worry most for you. Ask him if he understands this means he takes a much lower equity share. Carefully watch the reaction.

If the guy is critical to the project, has an ex-wife and child support, lives in Palo Alto etc, the VCs might be more understanding. If he's got a fancy lifestyle built on payments and just wants to keep it up they're going to end it right there.

This is a HUGE ask for your first round (since you didn't answer I assume there's no outside angel money), just because you guys read it somewhere is not good enough.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I missed the part where this is very much of your business. Did you put up 25% of the initial money or something?

yeah i put money down and have a significant portion of equity not to mention a lot of other sacrifices i made and am currently making

if i had a degree and 1-2 year job experience id basically have a co-founder title

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
yeah i put money down and have a significant portion of equity not to mention a lot of other sacrifices i made and am currently making

if i had a degree and 1-2 year job experience id basically have a co-founder title
Okay then, you and whoever that you can get to support you are going to have a Come to Jesus Talk with him.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

So...Zuckerberg shouldn't have gotten founder credit for FB because he dropped out and never had a job before? This is a whole lot of bullshit that you just wrote. I'm not sure why you think this, but if it's because of this "CEO", fire him.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
What corporate structure do you guys have? What did you get for your investment thus far? What's in writing? Your language hints that you might be getting taken advantage of here.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
So...Zuckerberg shouldn't have gotten founder credit for FB because he dropped out and never had a job before? This is a whole lot of bullshit that you just wrote. I'm not sure why you think this, but if it's because of this "CEO", fire him.

it wasnt even my idea. i landed this job and opportunity in the most unimaginable way possible that i dont feel comfortable typing out here. how the hell can i fire the CEO when its not even my idea? we havent even gotten 1 sale or 1 investment yet, we are in the beginning stages right now. the programmers we hired are making the software.

i think everyone needs to calm down. let me talk to the guy, its not like he has bad intentions. he is just ignorant about the entrepreneurial ways.
What corporate structure do you guys have? What did you get for your investment thus far? What's in writing? Your language hints that you might be getting taken advantage of here.

NONE at all yet. i dont see how you think im getting taken advantage of, but im curious. please explain

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Sometimes, things go wrong from the beginning. Sometimes, a good idea isn't enough.

yeah which is what im trying to fix, with communication, because the founder isn't malicious.

i think the best thing for me right now is to get help on how to talk to this guy in regards to these common problems.

these common problems are labelled as " contradictions to fundamental entrepreneurial mindsets/logics"

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
NONE at all yet. i dont see how you think im getting taken advantage of, but im curious. please explain

This- "if i had a degree and 1-2 year job experience id basically have a co-founder title"

If you're putting time and money in to this thing, you guys need an agreement for what sort of shares you get for it. You'll certainly need a corporate structure so people can give you money. You guys need a decent lawyer, or law firm, that is familiar with beginner founders and angel level deals.

If you're wondering why the concern, a recent thread gives hints...This was a partnership that sounds like it was started properly- https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-but-am-happier-and-stronger-than-ever.62925/

Some of us have been around the block a few times. You start to get a ear for things that sound wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
i think everyone needs to calm down. let me talk to the guy, its not like he has bad intentions. he is just ignorant about the entrepreneurial ways.

People are on your a$$ because this is f*cked up. Ok, we don't know how much money you've put in, or how much equity you have. How many people are in this company now, and how many have equity? Are you getting a salary now?

Look at it this way. Let's say I have an idea. I start a company and anoint myself CEO. I call you up and ask if you want in? "Hey man, I'll let you buy in for $10k for 25%". You give me $10k and I'm like "Thanks man, you are now Director of Engineering. I wish I could make you CTO but you don't have a degree. And I am basing this decision on the fact that I have a degree and only people with degrees can be officers. Oh and BTW, when we go for funding I want $150k because I'm a CEO and you get $50k because you are a Director and not a CTO."

Doesn't any of this sound like he's just making up bullshit to marginalize you? You may say that he is a great guy, but these actions by him are showing US that he does not think that highly of you. There is no respect there, even if he has good intentions. He is also very title driven and sounds like he wants to tell everyone he's CEO.

He sounds like a person who would hire the developer with the college degree vs. the high school dropout that is coding genius. In his mind that high school dropout would never move up in his company.

The only way that I can see how this would be ok is... if you were working as an employee for this company. One day you asked him if you can buy in and he says yes. Then you are an employee with equity. Just because you buy in doesn't change your title as an employee.

But... if you were doing something else and he asks you to start a company with him, and you put up money from the start, that's a different story.[/QUOTE]

LynnD5000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
it wasn't even my idea. i landed this job and opportunity in the most unimaginable way possible that i dont feel comfortable typing out here. how the hell can i fire the CEO when its not even my idea? we haven't even gotten 1 sale or 1 investment yet, we are in the beginning stages right now. the programmers we hired are making the software.

NONE at all yet. i don't see how you think i'm getting taken advantage of, but i'm curious. please explain

I find this a very intriguing thread - especially since I am writing a book and training course that addresses these issues directly.

In reading your thread I am making a few assumptions here -

You said your CEO was an engineer -

1st - depending on his level and expertise - that 150K is probably his normal salary or close to it - asking for that much while unrealistic for a startup is probably something he never considered because that is what he normally makes...

2nd - if you have already hired software programmers - it's likely a fair amount of their pay is coming from his pocket and some from yours. And I would also venture to guess that for at least the time being you don't really need investors. If he has been an engineer for very long he may have fairly deep pockets to begin with. I have never met an engineer who doesn't do long term planning - it is the nature of their job skills....

3rd - I would also caution you that until you have a product and some sales DON'T seek investors yet. If you have no product or track record you will likely burn bridges long before you were really ready to approach them in the 1st place.

4th - What is your exit strategy - An investor's mentality is not the same as your's or your CEO - they are not interested in bartering time as an asset - If time could get your where you want to be you wouldn't need them - also there is a possibility that if the investor has a few million to put up he/she may make more a day than you do in a year - it only takes 84K a month to make a million a year. I think MJ referenced in his book that at one point he made 10K a day...If your product is good enough to interest the big guns - they are not interested in what it can make a year - they are interested in how much it can make them in 5 years doing an IPO - and approach like that may be the way to get there attention - if the product is good enough to go public in 5 years - and you approach them with that - it is obvious to them you are interested in making it worth their time and money to invest in you - I wish to emphasize the YOU - products come and go but if you can make them money - I haven't met anyone with money yet that doesn't have a pet project or two......

5th - If you do go after funding DON'T ask for it all at once - Treat your product like you were working for 3M - champion it - set up a series of checkpoints - and have the investors fund them 1 checkpoint at a time at a pre-agreed funding amount - this does 2 very important things for you - 1) It minimizes their risk and 2) it gives you time to develop a relationship of trust and communication - and when the final payday arrives they won't forget who got it there....

Just something to think about...

L

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!