The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forum Upgrade News and Update

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm happy to announce that Phase 2 of the forum upgrade is now complete.

Phase 1 was simply upgrading the software and getting the forum fully operational with a workable UI.
Phase 2 centered more on branding, style and the UI with a big focus on MOBILE optimization.

MOBILE FRIENDLY (Natively, Not Tapatalk)

As a result, the forum is far more user friendly for our mobile users, as well as faster. As I mentioned in another thread, I've surfed the forum on my iPhone and on my Galaxy Tab more in the last month than I have in the last ten years combined.

The forum no longer supports Tapatalk, so please use the forum natively.

SOCIAL MEDIA EMBEDDING (Twitter, Facebook, etc)
Finally the forum supports social media embedding, if someone posts something on FB or Twitter, feel free to post it and the forum will embed.

View: https://twitter.com/MJDeMarco/status/1130187655562584064

SOCIAL MEDIA REGISTRATION ENABLED (Twitter, Facebook, etc)
Registration now tied up with multiple platforms.

FASTLANE DAILY DIGEST
If you want a daily email with new forum posts, you can subscribe to The Fastlane Daily Digest...

INSIDERS FINALLY GET A DEDICATED HOME PAGE
(Click on the INSIDERS tab in the main navigation)

Screenshot_2019-06-21 Fastlane Insiders.png

FORUM NOW SUPPORTS PUSH ALERTS (On Compatible Devices)
If you accept push notifications, you can set what you want to be pushed. For instance, I only "push" replies, but do not push likes and other reactions.

IGNORE PREFIXES

If there are any PREFIXES you want ignored, you can now set that in your profile/preferences. For instance, if anything is LANDFILLED and you have ZERO interest in REAL ESTATE, you can ignore these tags and not see those threads in your viewing experience.

BOOKMARK STATUS

As for what was lost in the upgrade, I'm sorry to report that I was not able to restore old bookmarks. If you're an INSIDERS, the bookmarking function still exists (and is much more robust) but any old bookmarks were lost. My sincere apologies as I lost dozens of bookmarks. However I can guarantee this will not happen in the future because now the bookmarking system is a native function of the forum.

REP BANK STATUS

Currently the rep bank system is still offline, however the data that created your reputation bank number still exists. If you had a big reputation here, the forum still knows it. Phase 3 of the forum upgrade will entail digging into the REP system, including gamification stuff (awards, etc.)

PHASE 3 UNDERWAY

Phase 3 of the upgrade will focus on content exposure and content discovery (featured content, highlighting great posts/content, etc) and the reputation/award system.

Thank you for your patience during this entire process.

Enjoy!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love the green.

Its GREEEEEEN!! I normally can not handle change at all but omg I love it!!

Thanks, that was an objective considering most new users to the forum has no idea WTF "fastlane" is -- so I was shooting for a more "financial" look.

As they say you have seconds to make a first impression (Fastlane?? Is this a sports car forum??) so I wanted it to be fastly clear that this place is financial and business related.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Can I please request you make the titles bigger in that home page latest section again? they are too small for me to read

I appreciate the upgrade and all you do to make this forum possible, active, and the culture kept to such a high standard

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can I please request you make the titles bigger in that home page latest section again?

They haven't changed size unless you're on a mobile phone, is that how you're viewing?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Just a thought, any way to integrate the custom google search into the native forum search bar?

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Hell, good job.

I was paging through someone's progress thread on my phone during lunch when everything went green and really mobile-friendly and I thought I was having a stroke.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Not to pour cold water on the site, MJ. I mean, I like what you're doing and all your hard work, but I still prefer the old logo. The new logo (with the $ symbol in it) and the green color scheme all feels very "greenback" to me.

It brings back memories of blackhat money-chasing sites / hackersites / affiliate gurus in the noughties.....:somber:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Not to pour cold water on the site, MJ. I mean, I like what you're doing and all your hard work, but I still prefer the old logo. The new logo (with the $ symbol in it) and the green color scheme all feels very "greenback" to me.

It brings back memories of blackhat money-chasing sites / hackersites / affiliate gurus in the noughties.....:somber:
A brighter green feels better.

I myself struggle though to pick colours for small design jobs, so I'm not sure which tone of green would be best. Maybe a split-test for reader receptiveness is in the order of things?

I'm happy to announce that Phase 2 of the forum upgrade is now complete.

Phase 1 was simply upgrading the software and getting the forum fully operational with a workable UI.
Phase 2 centered more on branding, style and the UI with a big focus on MOBILE optimization.

MOBILE FRIENDLY (Natively, Not Tapatalk)

As a result, the forum is far more user friendly for our mobile users, as well as faster. As I mentioned in another thread, I've surfed the forum on my iPhone and on my Galaxy Tab more in the last month than I have in the last ten years combined.

The forum no longer supports Tapatalk, so please use the forum natively.

SOCIAL MEDIA EMBEDDING (Twitter, Facebook, etc)
Finally the forum supports social media embedding, if someone posts something on FB or Twitter, feel free to post it and the forum will embed.

View: https://twitter.com/MJDeMarco/status/1130187655562584064

SOCIAL MEDIA REGISTRATION ENABLED (Twitter, Facebook, etc)
Registration now tied up with multiple platforms.

View attachment 25239

FASTLANE DAILY DIGEST
If you want a daily email with new forum posts, you can subscribe to The Fastlane Daily Digest...

INSIDERS FINALLY GET A DEDICATED HOME PAGE
(Click on the INSIDERS tab in the main navigation)

View attachment 25236

FORUM NOW SUPPORTS PUSH ALERTS (On Compatible Devices)
If you accept push notifications, you can set what you want to be pushed. For instance, I only "push" replies, but do not push likes and other reactions.

View attachment 25237

IGNORE PREFIXES

If there are any PREFIXES you want ignored, you can now set that in your profile/preferences. For instance, if anything is LANDFILLED and you have ZERO interest in REAL ESTATE, you can ignore these tags and not see those threads in your viewing experience.

BOOKMARK STATUS

As for what was lost in the upgrade, I'm sorry to report that I was not able to restore old bookmarks. If you're an INSIDERS, the bookmarking function still exists (and is much more robust) but any old bookmarks were lost. My sincere apologies as I lost dozens of bookmarks. However I can guarantee this will not happen in the future because now the bookmarking system is a native function of the forum.

REP BANK STATUS

Currently the rep bank system is still offline, however the data that created your reputation bank number still exists. If you had a big reputation here, the forum still knows it. Phase 3 of the forum upgrade will entail digging into the REP system, including gamification stuff (awards, etc.)

PHASE 3 UNDERWAY

Phase 3 of the upgrade will focus on content exposure and content discovery (featured content, highlighting great posts/content, etc) and the reputation/award system.

Thank you for your patience during this entire process.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the hard work!

BTW with your recent avatar pic change, I actually mistook you for @Yoda, and thought he was helping you with changes....:happy::rofl:

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts

I kind of agree with you, but there is a counter argument...

Visitors often start as money chasers who are frustrated with the gurus or just don’t know they are chasing money. So he should use the graphics that get their attention and THEN help educate them. I bet it’s a big reason why TMF had a Lamborghini on it long after MJ lost interest in owning one.

It is a tough balance. You don’t want to turn away the converted, but you want to attract those who need to be saved!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Love the green. I logged in yesterday and saw the new site header and literally said “Whoa!!” out loud.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
The new UI looks great, MJ!

There's one thing small thing I've encountered. In the screenshot you can see that the sidebar is properly attached at the bottom of the page (for smaller screen sizes).
However, the layout in the "sidebar" doesn't seem right (because it's too small and left aligned).

You already have the correct media queries in place to make everything look good on small screens. The problem is the media query takes place at screen sizes smaller than 900px.

But the page layout breaks a bit "earlier" at 1100px: @media (max-width: 1100px) .p-body-main--withSidebar.p-body-main, .p-body-main--withSidebar .p-body-content

So you have 200px (resolutions from 900px to 1100px) in which the layout looks like in my screenshot.

You may want to set your current css rule: @media (max-width: 900px) .p-body-sidebar to max-width: 1100px.

Hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• fastlane_1.jpg
    fastlane_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
@MJ DeMarco not sure if there is a thread on the upgrades, but maybe a poll would be good for the new green color usernames and buttons? Logo and accents look good, but on mobile and screens with any color correcting apps or dimming, the contrast with dark blue and dark green isn't very strong. makes it harder to read.

The yellow color was a perfect contrast for the user names and buttons, esp on mobile.

EDIT #1: Let me be helpful here as well. I use this app and adobe kolor at times to find better contrasts for colors when designing LP's and sites. The current colors can be modified ever so slightly to gain a higher contrast and web accessibility score. This app shows what those hex codes are...

This should take you right to what you have in place....

EDIT #2: here is a simple change with the colors that shows a higher contrast for the user labels, arrows and username using the TFL dark blue bg color..

NEW

OLD

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Now that this has been moved (thx) and reading this thread. I have to say, i'm impressed with some of these changes and your approach MJ.

Just read the explanation behind removing tapatalk and i totally agree but also appreciate the transparency. I created a shortcut on my phone again and it works well with the new layouts.

Also, I checked out the INSIDERS home page, for the first time ever, I can honestly say that browsing main content was enjoyable. It reminds me of when the forum started, everything has a purpose because there isn't silly trash on the inside(for the most part). I can see using this often and contributing more.

Once these are fully complete, it might be good to send a email to all members with some of those announced to re-activate some heavy hitters that might not be aware these changes have been made, esp after the whole thing a few months ago.

bravo MJ, im impressed with the turn around thus far.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On mobile yeah

Should be OK now.

Just a thought, any way to integrate the custom google search into the native forum search bar?

Great idea, I was able to get "partial integration" where you just have to click the Google Tab (see below) I might be able to get it fully optioned if the code makes sense to me.

Ah I thought I was the only one. My tag for having read TMF is gone.

Looks really nice. Uh btw, could I get my tags for having read TMF and Unscripted back? Thank you.

This was lost in the transition, all the "I've read" banners hould be back to normal in the next few days. I had to outsource that fix.

So you have 200px (resolutions from 900px to 1100px) in which the layout looks like in my screenshot.

You may want to set your current css rule: @media (max-width: 900px) .p-body-sidebar to max-width: 1100px.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for this! I noticed that too while viewing on my tab. It should be OK now, thank you for the code grab.

Let me be helpful here as well. I use this app and adobe kolor at times to find better contrasts for colors when designing LP's and sites. The current colors can be modified ever so slightly to gain a higher contrast and web accessibility score. This app shows what those hex codes are...

Thank you for positioning your opinion with some actual methodology and reasoning behind it other than "I don't like it." The green color scheme isn't going to change, but some elements can be tweaked to meet some of the standards you cited in the accompanied usability link. Thanks for linking the resource.

Once these are fully complete, it might be good to send a email to all members

I plan to do that, but I was waiting to finish with Phase 3 which is focused on content discovery and content exposure. Phase 3 can last 3 days or 3 weeks, really depends on what resources are available, or if I have to outsource a developer to do it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

This is now fully integrated into the main search bar (in the forum's header) and across the board.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Love everything thus far, including the green. Everything feels nice n sleek. Good job.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
This is now fully integrated into the main search bar (in the forum's header) and across the board.

View attachment 25272

View attachment 25271
Thanks so much! The google results are much better than the native results imo.

Example: I just searched the word “car” and no results were found even though there’s a thread right on the front page with the keyword in it. Google found it no problem :)

So far the forum is looking great! Digging the green style.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Great updates MJ , ignore prefixes sounds nice. Ive found if im just checking in I sort of only see the default view stuff (and so I miss relevant things just because I dont want to scroll down) . Spend some time this week and curate things a bit.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Just logged in for the first time in a while.

This place is looking good @MJ DeMarco!

I'm excited for all that you said was coming with Phase 3 as well.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I must say I love the new color scheme. The white and green accents with the soft blue is pleasant.
The new logo is great and so is the favicon !

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Is the 'most liked posts' feature coming back with phase 3?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.