The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Foreclosure is imminent.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I'd like to preface what will be a rather desperate and negative post with some positivity.

Yesterday marked 1 year of being on this forum. I had planned to make a big post about how my life has changed since joining the Fastlane community, and I will still do that - because my life HAS completely transformed for the better...

About 10 months ago I posted this thread about how F*cked my family was. My mom had been in bed on and off for years in deep depression. My little brother had been abusing drugs and essentially making our lives hell.

The single greatest pride in my life is that I stuck with them and they are now doing much better. Learning how to actually be of service to them has been the single greatest lesson of my life and it has truly been a case of your greatest obstacles are your greatest opportunities for growth. I don't want to go into too many details here, because I want to post more about it later and this post isn't about that. I just wanted to show that not everything is bad :smile2:

Also, I'll be launching my first product (not my first business attempt) that I have poured my heart and soul into next week... Just one year after starting this journey. How great is that?

---------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here comes the negative side of things. My house - my Mom's house - will be going into (pre) foreclosure in three weeks and I want to prevent her from losing everything.

If you are the type of person who is into seeing things that are kind of sad - then you should check out this post that I left in February this year - thinking that we were about to make 800k in capital gains :rofl:

Needless to say, this didn't happen and things have gotten increasingly desperate.

Her house is worth $2 million and houses in that price range don't move quickly. Some terrible financial decisions were made in the form of hard money loans where she was stuck paying 10-12k a month on the house. Now, we are at the end of her loan and she owes $1.15mil.

We also have moved the house's price down several times because we knew we really needed to sell it before the end of the 12 months (Dec 5th). I believe that this may have damaged the perception of the house.

There is so much information and context that I want to provide right now but I fear that I won't be able to do that without making this post too convoluted - so I am just going to stick to

the basics:

a) My mom owes $1.15mil on the house and because we haven't paid the loan it is costing $600 extra every day that we don't pay it.
b) If we get foreclosed on there is an extra charge of $150,000
c) The house is now priced at $1,699,000. (started at 2 million)

Our options (from what I understand):

1) We get the house refinanced through a hard money loan (my mom's credit is completely F*cked). It will cost us $100-150k out of closing of the house... and obviously we aren't guaranteed to sell it before the loan closes - putting us back in this situation but even worse.

2) Drop the price aggressively (to around $1.4mil) and try to sell in the very short window that we have.

- The issue with #1 is that we are stuck in this house (which has become extremely oppressive) even longer... and we aren't guaranteed to make it out of this with a sale. We could end up in even deeper waters!

- The issue with #2 is that even if we drop the house's price aggressively we aren't guaranteed to sell it within that period - and from my understanding dropping the price of the house will make the LTV way too high for someone to refinance us. This is assuming that they will look at the current price of the house to assess whether or not the loan is worth it for them. Can anyone contradict this?

If we drop and sell it for $1.4 in this period of time then that will mean that selling it refinanced for $1.5-1.6 would make it worth our effort to refinance it. I think there is a fair bit of certainty that we could sell for that price, but of course... you never know.

What I really want to know is how to find people who will buy this house at $1.4mil quickly - without dropping the marketed price of the house (which would ruin our chance of refinancing as a backup). Are we just going to have to go balls to the wall on one of these options?

If I had to pick I would say sell it fast and drop the price because I want to get out of here but I feel that may be even more risky than doing a refinance. To me it would be optimal to leave the public listing at $1.699 for the sake of re-financing, but still somehow bring investor's attention to this house at its current price point (meaning they know we will sell for much less than it is worth).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just to add a little bit of oxygen to the fire I'll add that I have given all of the money that I've made and my college funds to try and help this situation. I now recognize that I went way too far in trying to help, but I loved my mom too much and didn't have the wisdom at the time to say no.

I now understand where the line needs to be drawn. You must insure that you are taken care of so that you can best be of service to others. These lessons are invaluable to me and I honestly wouldn't take any of my decisions back. If you wish to judge me as being an idiot for doing this - then that is okay - the main thing is that I need to make this happen so that my mom can land on her feet and maybe I can get some of my money back.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate your time in reading this. Sorry if some areas aren't clear enough. I will go back and fix things up when I get the chance.

Well, I guess my final question is -

Anybody got an idea of WTF I should do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Have you attempted to contact your lender and explain the house is for sale? I doubt they want the house any more than you do.

Sadly, our lender wants the house. They knew it was for sale when they made the loan and the contract with them was hardly reasonable. I don't want to go too deep into this, but if the lender gets possession of our house they won't have any problems recouping their investment (and then more).

Keep in mind that they wouldn't be nearly as pressed for time as we are if the house came into their possession (and they would only need to sell for $1,150,000).

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
@MidwestLandlord

I would suggest making an account over at the deeper pockets forums. It's to real estate what this forum is to entrepreneurship. The experts over there may have some deeper insights.

If you had to refinance it, is it in a location where you could AirBNB/VRBO it out? Not a solution, but maybe a band aid to reduce the sting of the payments

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
@MidwestLandlord

I would suggest making an account over at the deeper pockets forums. It's to real estate what this forum is to entrepreneurship. The experts over there may have some deeper insights.

If you had to refinance it, is it in a location where you could AirBNB/VRBO it out? Not a solution, but maybe a band aid to reduce the sting of the payments
www.biggerpockets.com

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
@MidwestLandlord

Going to this website now. Thank you.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
What does your Realtor have to say?

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Get a consult with a bankruptcy lawyer. If your moms credit is already ruined, it may make sense to just stop paying and get a clean slate (or re-negotiate the loan terms).

Last edited:

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
What does your Realtor have to say?
Our realtor wants to drop the price as soon as possible. My issue with this is that it leaves us no exit if we don't sell. It really is all or nothing either way. It pains me because I know for a fact that if we had time we could let go of this house for its legitimate price, but obviously we must act soon.

Ultimately it is up to my mom who is more interested in refinancing, but I want to get as clear on this as possible before we move forward. What I am mostly hoping for is to find an avenue that will allow us to push the house aggressively without changing the listing... I just don't even know if this is possible.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Get a consult with a bankruptcy lawyer. If your moms credit is already ruined, it may make sense to just stop paying and get a clean slate (or negotiate the terms).
We've looked into bankruptcy and I'm going to advise her to consult with a lawyer. The house is in an LLC but her SSN backs it... also if we get foreclosed on the 150k charge will still come in (I think). Obviously I am young and naive so we need a professional to step in, but as of right now I don't think this is the solution.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What is stopping it from selling? It is usually price.

Can you find the local real estate investment club? They would probably be able to give you solid feedback. You would need to filter their thoughts as they are interested in making money. You might be able to find a better hard money lender there. @JScott is a hard money lender. He may have some advice.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
What is stopping it from selling? It is usually price.

Can you find the local real estate investment club? They would probably be able to give you solid feedback. You would need to filter their thoughts as they are interested in making money. You might be able to find a better hard money lender there. @JScott is a hard money lender. He may have some advice.
Yep, to sell it quickly we would certainly need to drop the price. Houses at this level generally take about 2 years to sell. We have only been on the market for 10 months and couldn't really afford to be on for longer.

My concern is that if we drop the price now, we may not sell it and then we certainly won't be able to refinance. We are going to have to place our bets on either refinancing or on selling quickly. I'm leaning towards selling quickly but was and still am hoping that I can find a compromise.

A local investment club may be a good way to find this compromise. Thank you!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
do a 5 day sale. (get the book)
bake cookies and clean the place up.
really, aggressively push the walkthrough day.

sounds stupid, but it works and might be the hail mary you need.

Good luck!!

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Have you looked at what has sold recently in your price range and how your house compares?

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Have you looked at what has sold recently in your price range and how your house compares?
Yeah - at this new price point we are competitive with houses that are 5k sq ft less than ours. It is about 14,000 sq ft. Obviously to sell it quickly we are just going to have to let it go for a fraction of what it is worth.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I was reading an article recently about how people generally dont want these sort of huge houses like they did 10-20 years ago. And the proposed tax laws really hit them hard with the new property tax and mortgage interest deduction caps.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I was reading an article recently about how people generally dont want these sort of huge houses like they did 10-20 years ago. And the proposed tax laws really hit them hard with the new property tax and mortgage interest deduction caps.
This is true. Not only that - but it is more rare to find investors in this price range because they want to diversify their risk (from my understanding)... so it makes sense to invest in four 250k-300k homes instead of one house like mine.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
The majority of investors are active around the median price range of a metro area. Which I assume is well under $1.6M in your case.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Here's my take...

Your family is not qualified to own this house. To be more blunt your family doesn't deserve this house.
I don't remember in this or the other thread hearing how you came to own it.
Something feels disingenuous in the story. I'm guessing maybe a divorce. It doesn't really matter.
You seemed to think you had hit the jackpot. Well, now you're the dog that caught the truck and doesn't know what to do with it.
You need to find someone who is qualified to own this house. YOU are going to have to take the hit in the deal not them.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Here's my take...

Your family is not qualified to own this house. To be more blunt your family doesn't deserve this house.
I don't remember in this or the other thread hearing how you came to own it.
Something feels disingenuous in the story. I'm guessing maybe a divorce. It doesn't really matter.
You seemed to think you had hit the jackpot. Well, now you're the dog that caught the truck and doesn't know what to do with it.
You need to find someone who is qualified to own this house. YOU are going to have to take the hit in the deal not them.
I'm well aware that we are going to have to take the hit. I sank all of my earnings to help my mother and wouldn't even care if she sold the house at break even. I have no control over her willingness to let go though. All that I can do is ease the pain in the process for her.

You're right. We are not deserving of the house in our current state. I'm too inexperienced and my mother has been unemployed for years. My father was "deserving" though. Good guess on the divorce. However there was nothing disingenuous about my story.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
You need to get it sold to a typical home owner. A bank isnt going to refinance it, an investor isnt going to buy it. Even if you were to refinance it, you are looking at a fortune in closing and holding costs. Drop the price every week until you get an offer and sell it.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
You need to get it sold to a typical home owner. A bank isnt going to refinance it, an investor isnt going to buy it. Even if you were to refinance it, you are looking at a fortune in closing and holding costs. Drop the price every week until you get an offer and sell it.
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that for the sake of our time which is more valuable than anything else... this is probably be the best option.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm well aware that we are going to have to take the hit. I sank all of my earnings to help my mother and wouldn't even care if she sold the house at break even. I have no control over her willingness to let go though. All that I can do is ease the pain in the process for her.

You're right. We are not deserving of the house in our current state. I'm too inexperienced and my mother has been unemployed for years. My father was "deserving" though. Good guess on the divorce. However there was nothing disingenuous about my story.
I don't understand why you can do a deal with the HML? Maybe there might be a way to lead them into doing a cash for keys deal. I'm not qualified to guide you on how to screw someone over.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

I meant disingenuous as an incomplete story, not as lying.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I don't understand why you can do a deal with the HML? Maybe there might be a way to lead them into doing a cash for keys deal. I'm not qualified to guide you on how to screw someone over.

Google "how to get cash for keys" you'll get some ideas.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
I Reread your other posts and not sure why you keep saying 'we'. Your money is gone and this is your parents and now step-dad's issue to figure out.

Get far away from your parents for a year or two and spread your own wings. This is not your problem.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
It seems like there should be an awful lot of lawyers involved and there are...none? It sounds like your (step?)father bought an expensive house and was able to walk away in the divorce without having to pay alimony, child support, and there was no disposition of property. Either there is a lot missing from the story or both parties in the divorce need to sue their attorneys for malpractice.

You really really really need to speak to lawyers: the divorce attorneys on both sides, a BK attorney and/or a real estate attorney. You might want to look into conservatorship of your mother's affairs as well, because it doesn't sound like she can take care of anything. I'm surprised your father has had zero interest or financial or other responsibility in all of this, especially since your mother isn't well.

I admire you for wanting to keep your mother out of homelessness, but there is a huge range of living situations betweens a 2 mil home and the gutter, and I don't see why you can't rent a small house to share.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
where in atl is the property located? I have a connection that can be of immediate help she Specialized In higher priced homes

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.