The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For the love of God, STOP using boilerplate pitches.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How do you know a medium has reached critical saturation?

Once again that answer is found in the crowd.

What is the crowd doing, what are they reading, and what advice are they ALL following?

I don't think a week goes by when I don't receive an email solicitation to be on some podcast.

It seems everyone today has a podcast promoting some cause or another.

I mean EVERYONE. Well, everyone but me.

And because these podcasts are everywhere, they need guests.

So someone wrote some book somewhere and included some boilerplate PITCH template-- the one I receive practically every week, sometimes every day.

I’d be thrilled to have you on my podcast show XXXXX recently ranked top XXX iTunes and is exceeding XXX downloads per month in addition to my blog which has over XXXX views from over XXX countries.

I'd be happy to share some of that traffic with you to help expand your audience and brand to thousands of new ears.

I've been interviewing the most successful and inspiring people in the areas of life: [ENTER PURPOSE HERE]

A few notable speakers booked/interviewed:

[ENTER SOCIAL PROOF HERE]

I understand that you have a busy schedule, and that’s why i've developed an efficient, 45 minute audio interview over Skype. If interested, let’s arrange an appropriate time together.

I've received this same pitch
, no shitting you, probably 50 times. There is little variation in the pitch at all, other than the fill-in-data.

It seems everyone has "developed an efficient 45-minute audio interview over Skype" and is using this boilerplate template to fetch guests.

I'm tired of seeing it.

I'm not one to be fetched by cookie-cutter.

For me, it's a real turn off because I get turned off on people who take shortcuts.

And this tired template which I've read dozens of times-- is a shortcut.

</ End Rant.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Sounds similar to how Biophase mentioned all these people using the cookie cutter approach to bringing items in for sale on Amazon, I think it was 1 section on their score card *kind of* pertained to value. The rest was fluff.

No one wants to put in the work, and I guess that is why so many people fall on their faces and why guru's are so successful.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
They must be following the same course that recommends they start a podcast on their interests, but their interest is in starting a business, so they want to have a podcast be their business. I blame Entrepreneur on Fire.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
They must be following the same course that recommends they start a podcast on their interests, but their interest is in starting a business, so they want to have a podcast be their business. I blame Entrepreneur on Fire.

Entrepreneurs should use that fire to create content, not context. What I mean by context is that they are trying to put the cart before the horses even though they know they're empty. Not only they want to automate the process of creating empty shells to shove in the market's throat, they don't even care about insulting everyone's intelligence in the process.

With newpollz I created every single poll manually and in a personalized manner. I automatize TASKS, not CONTENT, that would be severely insulting to any audience. When you click on a poll you see that it has ONE VOTE. I am the one who voted. I don't want to fake content (like going in the mysql and changing it to 700 just to pretend my site is very active) because that would defeat the whole purpose of what I am trying to accomplish and that is to create one single database of every question that was ever asked and answered by the users.

What is the crowd doing, what are they reading, and what advice are they ALL following?

That is so true. This is 2016, people are being more aware of bullshit and disguised intentions. Especially the post-internet generation, they are more vigilant about the content they consume (not unlike the mass transition from a shitty diet to a better one). I don't know if Darwinism will see natural selection prevail (weeding out all the bullshit organically from the internet) or if we will have to combat it ourselves with boycott and word of mouth (artificial selection) and by creating TRUE useful content aimed at solving problems or just to entertain people with the sole intention of putting a smile on their faces.

I say you gotta respect your audience (and that includes people that are "bigger" than you right now). You can't stoop to their level (the trolls and assholes) but you gotta treat them with respect (your entire audience). So you better F*cking create a uniquely personal message if you really want to see the chance to have that person on your podcast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014

, no shitting you, probably 50 times. There is little variation in the pitch at all, other than the fill-in-data.

Well that's obviously the price you pay for having such a beautiful voice. It's lucky you already have a few podcast interviews out there as on long drives they bridge the gap nicely between my Celine Playlist and my Whitney Playlist.

Everyone has their price-

8507660fa5b5d5ecb89fdc9ae15b5d90.jpg

Just 45 minutes on my podcast and you could spend the rest of your days baking oversized gingerbread men

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
It's not a good pitch, either.

There is no mention of value. No "I think my listeners could really benefit from your perspective on X and Y".
No "lets make something awesome". Nothing to stimulate your imagination.

It's just "I got X morons who listen to me, come see if we can sell these idiots some books".

It is literally "I", "I", "I".

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
It's not a good pitch, either.

There is no mention of value. No "I think my listeners could really benefit from your perspective on X and Y".
No "lets make something awesome". Nothing to stimulate your imagination.

It's just "I got X morons who listen to me, come see if we can sell these idiots some books".

It is literally "I", "I", "I".

Exactly, they just see numbers add up in their head. Empty empty numbers.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
It seems everyone today has a

It seems like there is no originality in a lot of these "new" startups. Just replicated biz models non stop. Everyone is trying to do to a podcast, a subscription box company in the same category, creating useless "informative" articles that sell their own products ,etc.. There are a few giants that started it (the biz model) and then all the wantrepreneurs just see the $$$ and want a piece of the action. They use the cookie cutter tactics, saturate the market and provide little or 0 value. The wantrepreneurs don't last while the entrepreneurs that build and grow organically become the giants and the cycle goes on....

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
It seems like there is no originality in a lot of these "new" startups. Just replicated biz models non stop. Everyone is trying to do to a podcast, a subscription box company in the same category, creating useless "informative" articles that sell their own products ,etc.. There are a few giants that started it (the biz model) and then all the wantrepreneurs just see the $$$ and want a piece of the action. They use the cookie cutter tactics, saturate the market and provide little or 0 value. The wantrepreneurs don't last while the entrepreneurs that build and grow organically become the giants and the cycle goes on....
Man, I see these all the time on Shark Tank. I hate those subscription based products.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Man, I see these all the time on Shark Tank. I hate those subscription based products.
Me too. They don't have any F*cking reason to exist, that's why.

I understand the subscription model. But why do it for things you can buy in any store?
Why do it for things I can order online when I need it?

For example, I love the idea behind CandyJapan. You don't need to even click to understand what it is.
You can't find those things outside Japan. People love those things. You wanna try all of them.
The business creates itself.

But no, I don't need F*cking soap delivered to me, thank you very much.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

I understand the subscription model. But why do it for things you can buy in any store?

For example, I love the idea behind CandyJapan. You don't need to even click to understand what it is.
You can't find those things outside Japan. People love those things. You wanna try all of them.
The business creates itself.

But no, I don't need F*cking soap delivered to me, thank you very much.
Hahaha I understand. I just saw one today about a "Netflix for ties." Apparently, you pay by month and can return it when you're done. I thought, who the hell cares?! They're ties!

Edit: Or the DollarShave club. Or any male grooming products really. Why wouldn't I just go to the store and buy it there? I hope these things die off, because I feel like this is something I would try for a month or two and then cancel my subscription.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I’d be thrilled to have you on my podcast show XXXXX recently ranked top XXX iTunes and is exceeding XXX downloads per month in addition to my blog which has over XXXX views from over XXX countries.

I'd be happy to share some of that traffic with you to help expand your audience and brand to thousands of new ears.

I've been interviewing the most successful and inspiring people in the areas of life: [ENTER PURPOSE HERE]

I understand that you have a busy schedule, and that’s why i've developed an efficient, 45 minute audio interview over Skype. If interested, let’s arrange an appropriate time together.

</ End Rant.
I’d be thrilled to have you on my podcast show
my blog
I'd be happy to share some of that traffic
I've been interviewing the most successful and inspiring people

So he'd be thrilled but doesn't explain why? or even why they want you specifically. Anyone can run a blog but they don't even offer a link. They want to share traffic like its free samples at Costco. I'm more interested in what these "interesting and Succesfful" people say about their podcast.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Hahaha I understand. I just saw one today about a "Netflix for ties." Apparently, you pay by month and can return it when you're done. I thought, who the hell cares?! They're ties!

Edit: Or the DollarShave club. Or any male grooming products really. Why wouldn't I just go to the store and buy it there? I hope these things die off, because I feel like this is something I would try for a month or two and then cancel my subscription.
Dunno about everyone else but it seems every other week i hear a buddy talking about a subscription box he's signed up for? It seems every man and his dog are paying for a monthly present to themselves.

D

Deleted38071

For the business, Predictable cash flow. You know you will have x number of customer's cards charged per month, so I guess you can sleep at night.
For the customer, I suppose there is a market segment that prefers to not think about going to the store every time they need a product they buy consistently, anyway. Such as replacement blades for shaving. They like the convenience of "set and forget."

On the other hand, if it doesn't make sense for a business to be a subscription model, then it shouldn't be structured like that.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Let's not forget the pitch "the foundation" made famous...

Hi I'd like to solve problems, can you tell me your problems or pain points so I can solve then and make myself rich? Thanks

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
For the business, Predictable cash flow. You know you will have x number of customer's cards charged per month, so I guess you can sleep at night.
For the customer, I suppose there is a market segment that prefers to not think about going to the store every time they need a product they buy consistently, anyway. Such as replacement blades for shaving. They like the convenience of "set and forget."

On the other hand, if it doesn't make sense for a business to be a subscription model, then it shouldn't be structured like that.
I understand the economics behind it. I was merely ranting - this is a rant thread, after all!

It's just that, well, here's the thing: since I started this entrepreneurship thing, I have been bombarded by a message.

That message is:

"People are making money with this stuff! Stop overthinking it and do the same thing!"

"This" being whatever the fad is. Kindle books, self development infoproducts, subscriptions.

I started with the idea that if you are not going to do something really good and that makes a difference you might as well do nothing.

But that constant message made me forget that. I think this is common: you start with great intentions, and get roped into peddling shit.

I found my way back to the start, but the wasted time and effort make me irk every time I see this kind of thing.
It's my subjective perception, filtered by my experiences and history, nothing more, of course.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
LOL, guess what? I received another one today!

And it said the exact same f*cking thing.

I’d be thrilled to have you on my podcast show [redacted], recently featured in iTunes New and Noteworthy, the #1 ranked podcast in Business and is exceeding 25,000 downloads in addition to my blog, from over 151 countries.

I've been interviewing the most successful and inspiring people in the areas of life: business building, lifestyle marketing, professional athletes, authors and entrepreneurship.

[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]

I understand that you have a busy schedule, and that’s why I’ve developed an efficient, 40-minute audio interview over Skype.

If interested, let’s arrange an appropriate time together.

SMH.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

I don't think a week goes by when I don't receive an email solicitation to be on some podcast.

It seems everyone today has a podcast promoting some cause or another.

I mean EVERYONE. Well, everyone but me.

And because these podcasts are everywhere, they need guests.

So someone wrote some book somewhere and included some boilerplate PITCH template-- the one I receive practically every week, sometimes every day.

It seems everyone has "developed an efficient 45-minute audio interview over Skype" and is using this boilerplate template to fetch guests.

I'm tired of seeing it.

For me, it's a real turn off because I get turned off on people who take shortcuts.

And this tired template which I've read dozens of times-- is a shortcut.

</ End Rant.
This is probably because of Andrew Warner's course on how to make money by interviewing people...

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I think EOF 's advice was supposed to lead people to find problems and needs within the niche they touched. The podcast method is to gather information from the best experts, not unlike mentor relations. But at the end of the day, a podcast is just a tool. Yes, it gets really irritating when I look at Youtube and see ordinary joes spamming with reviews and interviews that are simply flavourless.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I think EOF 's advice was supposed to lead people to find problems and needs within the niche they touched. The podcast method is to gather information from the best experts, not unlike mentor relations. But at the end of the day, a podcast is just a tool. Yes, it gets really irritating when I look at Youtube and see ordinary joes spamming with reviews and interviews that are simply flavourless.

Ironically, I just stumbled upon MJ's episode of EO Fire haha

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Ironically, I just stumbled upon MJ's episode of EO Fire haha
But I prefer MJ's own videos. He has facial contact....really draws in the viewer with the background of pristine wealth. His animated review on TMF had more clarity. Some of his joint podcasts with others reviwers (bless them!) were kind of rushy as the interviewers themselves were just rambling through with slight disorder. Kind of troubling. Better go back to the source....TMF !

GeoffP

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 26, 2016
Woodland Hills, CA

Think of the other money-maker with a subscription based business, the mailing list. I can up-sell, cross-sell, and down-sell all day long. Plus, if I get bored I can always rent the list or have other companies pay me to give their stuff to my list.

GeoffP

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 26, 2016
Woodland Hills, CA
LOL, guess what? I received another one today!

And it said the exact same f*cking thing.

SMH.
I know that feeling. Some chucklehead came up with a "clever" LinkedIn message template to send to contacts that was entertaining the first time, annoying the second time, and pathetic the third through nth times. I still get it on average once a week from professionals, which makes it even worse.

You'd think people would realize:
(1) This is only a general guideline and is supposed to be personalized
(2) Basic economics requires that 1000's be sold the same "course" or "program"
(3) The people that are being targeted, unlike the idiot using the template, were not born yesterday and having been playing the game on a higher level and have seen it all, including multiple iterations of the crappy template.

grapeslane

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 22, 2017
Florida
@MJ DeMarco If I was to pitch something like......

Mj,I see you started your 15th book and reached an 10 billion dollar net worth, The Family At (XXX network) would love for an all expense paid trip to have you guess on our show, you usually don't do these type of things but as a striving team we would compensate on the behave of your time. (XXX Network)

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
*EDIT* = just rechecked the google numbers he charges $5,000 and its always a sold out 2,500 crowd... some BS group sessions with a fancy "self improvement" notebook full of worksheets from his hired staff but...

$5,000 X 2,500 = $12,500,000 for helping the overweight woman who ask "how tony how just how can I lose weight?" tony: "eat less and spend time with family...."

hmmmm...

Anyone seen "I am not your GURU"? I used to think Robbins was alright but after watching that INFO-MERCIAL labeled as a movie with a bunch of dumb sheep paying $2,500 each for the seminar alone while crying, chanting like it's a god damn high school pep rally and treating him like one of those Southern preacher's that touch the woman's head and "she falls down as people catch her" from his mystical powers from god..... anyone???

Sheep need snaked oil its part of their diet...

NewYorkCity

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 7, 2011
This is exactly why I like businesses with a high barrier to entry.

As someone else said. Any real money making opportunity is not going to be sold in a course or given out for free :).

On a side note, I have a friend selling shovels to these podcasters. Last time I heard he was doing pretty well.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
This is exactly why I like businesses with a high barrier to entry.

As someone else said. Any real money making opportunity is not going to be sold in a course or given out for free :).

On a side note, I have a friend selling shovels to these podcasters. Last time I heard he was doing pretty well.
Oh I'm not saying he is not doing well... Net worth according to sources is somewhere between $600-700 million...

I'm saying I don't listen to him anymore but snake oil sells obviously.

NewYorkCity

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 7, 2011
Oh I'm not saying he is not doing well... Net worth according to sources is somewhere between $600-700 million...

I'm saying I don't listen to him anymore but snake oil sells obviously.

Not sure who you are talking about (Anthony Robbins?). I have a friend who helps podcasters get their postcasts out (not giving away more than that on a public forum). 100% Legitimate business

We went to the same college our senior year and I would always come home (roommates) and he was always in his room hustling. Immigrant too. Taught me quite a bit.

Selling the shovels usually works.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.