The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flooding in the Northeast

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I thought you guys might like a look at some of the flooding near our house in upstate NY.

I'll add them as they upload.

Basically, the problem, aside from record rains, is that the DEC has prevented the dredging of these small streams in order to save the trout that they have to stock every year.

The streams washed some trees into a low bridge, blocking the flow of water under it. Instead, it has headed through several businesses, buried a trailer park, and (we think) flooded my son's house and (we know) his in-laws house, along with a mess of others.

This is our third 100-year flood in the past 5 years. Sort'a sucks.

At any rate...

This is about a block from my house. (Pardon the shaking. I was walking, skipping around puddles, and dodging traffic.)

[video]http://youtu.be/CtVB68KO58w[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/XYa3UqdnD0I[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/Lg74l_q9AnQ[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/vPyGhW9TtWc[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/j6DbTfKK140[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/e4jML99s0JM[/video]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
I am in upstate (real north) Vermont every weekend (cottage) and this year has been a rough one. we're lucky the land is high from the water (we're waterfront)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
I am in upstate (real north) Vermont every weekend

I have friends up in Shelburne. When we were up there in May, the waterfront was flooded. After last week's storm, I figured their place would be a mess. I know they didn't flood, but they said you can't get anywhere.

We also have a couple condos at the Grand Killington Resort, and no one can get there to use it.

Kurt:

I hope you're doing better than us. Flood stage in one town near us is 15'. The river is expected to crest at 38' there. It is expected to rain pretty much all night, and we're at a worse stage at 11pm than we were in the 2006 storm.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Oh... and it's raining water though the roof, ceiling, lights and ceiling fans in my apartment building.

The good news is that I've made $.87 in AdSense earnings today!

Actually, the good news is that I work for a heavy construction company. There will be a lot of roads and bridges to replace by the time this storm is done.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Kurt:

I hope you're doing better than us. Flood stage in one town near us is 15'. The river is expected to crest at 38' there. It is expected to rain pretty much all night, and we're at a worse stage at 11pm than we were in the 2006 storm.

flood stage on the biggest river is 17 feet. expecting 28.5 feet right now. record is 30.5 set by hurricane agnus.

Second biggest is flood stage at 8.6 feet, currently at 22.24 feet and expected to go to 24.5 feet. previous record was just over 16 feet. this is the once causing the problems for my drive to and from work. this morning should be interesting

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
my drive to and from work. this morning should be interesting

We're shut down. Our area is an island. Binghamton was being evacuated last night. Looks a bit better this morning.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Here's a neat photo. This was in a flash flood area. The street pavement lifted, and a section of wood ended up under it before it settled back on it. Pretty weird!View attachment 2565

My son's In-Law's house. This is a split-level, and is flooded in three of the four levels.
View attachment 2566

This is the blocked bridge underpass that started the mess.
View attachment 2567

This is my son's house. You can see his car in the driveway. This was built to be safe after the last flood in 2006. The water looks to have filled the 8-foot basement plus a couple of feet in the main floor.

There is a set of windows that you can't see that are underwater. When he was in the basement when the flooding started, the water was halfway up the windows with no leaks.
View attachment 2568

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Wow Bob. Please tell Brenton I wish him the best of luck with this mess.... hoping the waters recede quickly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.