The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flipping Cars

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
I have noticed lately that there seems to be a fair amount of other "car guys" on the forum lately and I thought I would share what I had been doing up until recently to build some fairly quick cash with cars.

I have now turned my focus to real estate in hopes create passive income and hop in the fastlane, but will essentially be doing the same thing "wholesaling" for the first year or so.

THE PLAN:

If you look on the websites for many local banks, there is an area for repos/foreclosures where they list the houses and cars that have been taken back.

The banks generally do not want to hang on to the cars as many times they are sitting in their lot somewhere making them no money. Often times they are willing to pretty much ditch them if you make an offer.

For an example here is the page at a local bank of mine: Repos/Foreclosures

You will notice that for each vehicle listed there are 3 prices. In general I know what a car is worth and what repairs will cost me to make (I do all my own repairs so there are no labor fees). You will want to offer lower than the lowest price listed regardless of what the are asking. (sometimes they are asking more than what the wholesale value is)

First you will want to check what the car "should" be worth. You can do this by looking it up on www.KBB.com and New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site These should only be used for reference. You should then also check sites like ebaymotors and the like to see what similar cars are going for.

I then go down and look at the car to see what kind of shape it is generally in. I also check for obvious things that need repair, and make sure the big ticket items are all ok (engine is quite, trans shifts ok etc)

After I know what the car is worth, how much I need to make it look great, and how much the bank wants for it, I make my offer.

In general I will give a low offer but nothing insane either. The banks are not going to sell a 10,000 car for 2,500 bucks! How fast you get an answer depends, but usually within a few days.

In the instance that the offer is accepted, I then proceed to beautify the car and make it look as good as possible by detailing and fixing anything that needs to be done. PLEASE NOTE: it is not my intention to rip anyone off and it shouldn't be yours either. Word travels fast in a small community and the better your name is, the faster your cars will sell. Put some love into the car and truly make it a good deal.

I then price the car as competitively as possible while still making AT LEAST $1,000. You should know that you can make at least $1,000 before you even make your offer, so this should not be a concern. I can often make upwards of 2,500or even more on a "home run" deal.

I post on all of the free sites (craigslist etc) and tell everyone I know about the car. I can typically sell the car in a month or less by doing just this.

That in short is what I have been doing up until recently.

There are a few issues that you will want to consider if you are thinking about trying this.

1) Can you perform the mechanical repairs safely without paying a shop to make them? Paying someone else to do the work will likely eliminate your profit.

2) In some states (VA for example) only a certain amount of cars can be sold be an individual before they must obtain a dealers license. This has personlly put an end it this for me for this year. That and the fact that I found out you could do the same thing with property and make MUCH more money per deal.

3) You will need cash for the full amount that you offered to the bank.

4) Make sure that the title is clean and was not a salvaged car.

5) In general you will want to be doing this on the cheaper cars. Think about the cars that most people can afford and will want to buy quickly. For example: honda civics, toyota camry's, nissan sentra's etc. You will absolutly be able to get great deals on BMW's and the like, but these will not sell as quickly and the repairs will be much more. You will also need more cash up front and will generally make less. In my experiece these are NOT ideal.

6) Depending upon where you live there will be different tax consequences and DMV fees. I am not an expert on these area and cannot give you advice here. I suggest checking with your local DMV and find out what papers you need to sell a car to someone else BEFORE buying your first one. Finding out that you are missing paperwork when trying to sell a car SUCKS BIGTIME (ask me how I know).

If you have any questions dont hesitate to shoot me a PM. Its my hope that I have been able to offer some value back to the forum.

Good Luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Brootal-Wow! Thanks for outlining all this for others on the forum. Great info. Very thorough. rep++. Along the same lines, I was talking to a neighbor friend of mine who is a car buff too (He has 4 Ferraris (he's Italian) and a Bentley). He mentioned that kind of on the side for fun, he gets cars from an auction (I don't know which one, I will ask him and share it here). And then he turns around and sells it for ~$20-$30k profit each. He does about 10 of these a year. The cars are high-end. An example was a Mclaren he got for $150k!!! (about $400k retail I think). I about fell outta my chair! He gets Bentleys, Aston Martins, etc. Guessing maybe he has to put cash upfront for them since it's an auction (?-I will ask). Not a bad fastlane hobby. Will share any more info I get from him.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
brootal, this is very good info, rep++.
Where in VA are you again? (I'm in the Sterling/Herndon area).

Laguna, yes, please do find out more from this guy... very cool info.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome information and a great way to make money on demand. Stuff like this is a job-killer!!! Speed+

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Good info, Brootal. I would caution that sometimes it can be an over-saturated market. For example, there are many areas where I live where you can find used car sales along the side of the road. One place in particular has 4-5 such shops in a row. Every 2-3 months, one of the places will shut down and about 1-2 months later someone else will take their place. What I find interesting is the owners of the land where these people operate. They rent out the small parcel of land with a small building on it, and it seems they always have a tenant there waiting to sell their used cars. So, while the used car sale people have to go through the work of buying/selling/maintaining the cars, the owners of the land just sit back and collect their rent each month with very little work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's a great Fastlane idea ... I know this is done in Northern Arizona and I imagine there might be some code/zoning issues with it but here goes:

1) Buy a piece of "infill" land on a busy street, perhaps a plot that is too small for commercial development.
2) Offer the land for rent to private owners of cars who want to sell their cars .. say $99/mo to park your car.
3) The land becomes a used car lot for private owners (Instead of cars parked along the road or in grocery store parking lots)
4) There is no onsite service, just maybe a kiosk or payment system to allow cars to enter into the rental agreement.

This is Fastlane because:

1) Time is disconnected from your time.
2) Easily replicable from singles to home runs
3) Repeatable service (people are always moving in-and-out of cars)
4) A need exists.

A saw one of these "private" used-car lots up near Sedona and the lot was jammed to capacity.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Just check your states laws, you can only sell so many cars a year before your considered a dealer.

I know someone who has been doing this fairly well with older Mercedes. He cleans them up and sells them for a couple grand profit after a few months. In his state he is limited to selling 6 a year. Its a fun hobby. He just picked up a nice 300SEL I'd like to buy next year when he sells it.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I just can't see how you make money doing this-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKCC0I1RFOA]YouTube - Strongmen flip a car 4 times on the Preston and Steve Show![/ame]

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I have a guy that lives close to me that we have purchased many of our cars from for personal use. He did have a retail lot for awhile but really his biggest model worked like this....

Get in with the bid dealerships (Chev. Ford, Toyota..whoever) and whoever owns the dealership. They will be getting a ton of trade-in's and for the most part...they aren't going to want to resell it on the same lot because they would have to jack the price up to make it worth while. (And many cars are so old/beat up that they don't want it on the lot period).

What he does....pays the owner of the dealership (I think it was like 50k back in the early 90's) so probably more like 75-100k cash...under the table. Any trade in's that come in....he gets first choice if he wants it and gets it pretty much at dealer cost from my understanding. The owner wins because he isn't pay taxes and it is less headaches compared to trading and taking to auctions.

He takes the vehicles back to his garage, cleans them up, then turns around and sells them at auctions to other dealers for a profit...all day long. I bet he would do 500 cars a year and NOBODY in the surrounding cities even knew of him because he didn't advertise to the public.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Here's a great Fastlane idea ... I know this is done in Northern Arizona and I imagine there might be some code/zoning issues with it but here goes:

1) Buy a piece of "infill" land on a busy street, perhaps a plot that is too small for commercial development.
2) Offer the land for rent to private owners of cars who want to sell their cars .. say $99/mo to park your car.
3) The land becomes a used car lot for private owners (Instead of cars parked along the road or in grocery store parking lots)
4) There is no onsite service, just maybe a kiosk or payment system to allow cars to enter into the rental agreement.

4) A need exists.

A saw one of these "private" used-car lots up near Sedona and the lot was jammed to capacity.

Has anyone taken action on this?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What you could do is lowball the hell out of a whole bunch of private listings on autotrader. When one agrees you have your inventory. Clean it up and sell it. Some people just want to get out from under it and will sell readily.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
for those who try this and hit up against the dealer laws due to too many flips, there are companies out there that offer coop dealer licenses. The fee seems to run around $500/month for this and they also give you access to dealer only auctions.

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
You can just have the seller sign the title and bill of sale and you do not sign ANYWHERE and than have the buyer you sell to sign as if they were you. That way you have no fees. Since after fees it really eats up the profit margin if you are dealing with higher end cars and doing this more legitimately there may be ways to keep it profitable and legal with licensing taxes etc.

Used Honda and Toyota sell the quickest. 2000 or newer with under 180k

I tried this but felt I do not know enough about cars. I made a little money and did the flip in less than 48 hours but mistakenly bought a car with a broken strut, did not hear it until I got on the highway as I did the test drive in city traffic. I bought low enough I still made some money even with broken strut. I was just buying off craigslist low and selling high. The good deals go in 1-3 hours. Lots of people just staring at the craigslist cars page trying to do the same thing I assume. Be sure to do a carfax before buying. Have seen 2 cars where the carfax did not match the miles meaning the people have a way of winding down miles so they can sell the car for more money. Lots of low life people out there in the used car market.

Overall I felt the business was too shady. I like to be able to stand behind a product of mine. A used car with over 100k miles you just bought from a random person for the low you can not confidentially stand behind also people try to lowball you all the time. Very annoying.

If you need quick cash to fund other businesses it is not a bad idea though. I do still look at craigslist for deals from time to time.

P.S Buying from banks is a very interesting idea. I never thought about that. Thanks

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Crazy, how much do you pay for being a car dealer in the US? In germany it's free, it's like any other thing you buy and resell....

Speed+ for threadstarter

for those who try this and hit up against the dealer laws due to too many flips, there are companies out there that offer coop dealer licenses. The fee seems to run around $500/month for this and they also give you access to dealer only auctions.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
What I do is put the ad for the car BEFORE I buy it. If I get x amount of inquiries, I buy the car if the price is right.

Hlaz- not signing the title might work with the private party, but not the auction

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas

4) A need exists.

Is there a place people list the land for sale, or do you just "see" the land and find out who the owner is somehow?

Excalibur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 6, 2010
Nampa, ID
I wonder if there's an avenue worth pursuing with title loan places? I figure these types are dealing with high risk and get a lot of repos. I doubt they want to be in the car selling business, although maybe they send them to auction.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Just be sure to check anything and everything for stuff like "flood damage" "frame damage" Look under the hood and see what screws that were painted before have now been turned. :)

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Old guide but still good.

Here in Ohio everyone and their grandma flips cars as a side hustle and they still make money.

I tried to flip my first car at age 15 and it caught fire two miles down the road.

Tried again a few months later and that car also broke down TWICE before getting it home.

At a young age I realized thay flipping cars was not for me. That said, its works for a lot of people and is a great way to build up some cash for other ventures!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.