The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Five years of college to make pizza and stack shopping carts?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Don’t get discouraged or give up.

We have all been there. Working ego bruising jobs even after getting a degree.

I worked at Best Buy, car wash and as a delivery driver even after getting a finance degree.

This is why this forum and its books exists. To give you a new economic advantage and paradigm.

Swords are neat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 4, 2021
Hello forum members;

Maybe some of you can relate to my story? I got the idea that college was going to be this great experience where you would get to study what you loved and then walk straight into a job that payed a decent wage, far above minimum wage. Nobody explicitly told me that's how it worked, but I got the strong impression that was what was being implied.

So I went and studied what I loved in college (which was mainly Medieval culture and art). I would have taken a paleontology course if they offered it. I wanted to work in the museum and teach people about dinosaurs and knights, about history and biology, I wanted to make my boyhood fascinations into a career.

After five years of college (which should have been three, I struggled with several papers) I was told at every turn that the museum was fully staffed and I would need to spend another five years in curation studies to actually be accepted as a staff member beyond an unpaid volunteer.

The first real paying job I got was making pizzas by the waterfront. I actually really enjoyed this job. I thought "So I'm not where I thought I would be, I'll get there." And it was good, we gave the bar next door free beer and they gave us free booze when we were all off the clock. The occasional burn sucked, but spinning dough and hanging out with the guys was worth it.

Fast forward to covid, and my hours get reduced to almost nothing, so i'm not making money or seeing my friends. So eventually I move on, and get the next job going. Working at a supermarket, schlepping crates full of produce and stacking shopping carts.

I'm not going to complain too much. The hard work is helping me lose weight like you wouldn't believe (I'm basically paid to work out). But is this really it? I spent half a decade of my life working hard in academia to stack shopping carts?

I had already read The Fastlane and Unscripted , but I never acted on them. Until now.

I'm not going to pester you guys with my idea or ask you for advice that I could get with a google search. I just hope that I'll have something to show you guys before too long.

Wish me luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
You could make engaging and educational content about that stuff online and not be at the mercy of a museum to hire you and pay you peanuts and fire you at will.

Just a thought.
Hello forum members;

Maybe some of you can relate to my story? I got the idea that college was going to be this great experience where you would get to study what you loved and then walk straight into a job that payed a decent wage, far above minimum wage. Nobody explicitly told me that's how it worked, but I got the strong impression that was what was being implied.

So I went and studied what I loved in college (which was mainly Medieval culture and art). I would have taken a paleontology course if they offered it. I wanted to work in the museum and teach people about dinosaurs and knights, about history and biology, I wanted to make my boyhood fascinations into a career.

After five years of college (which should have been three, I struggled with several papers) I was told at every turn that the museum was fully staffed and I would need to spend another five years in curation studies to actually be accepted as a staff member beyond an unpaid volunteer.

The first real paying job I got was making pizzas by the waterfront. I actually really enjoyed this job. I thought "So I'm not where I thought I would be, I'll get there." And it was good, we gave the bar next door free beer and they gave us free booze when we were all off the clock. The occasional burn sucked, but spinning dough and hanging out with the guys was worth it.

Fast forward to C0VlD, and my hours get reduced to almost nothing, so i'm not making money or seeing my friends. So eventually I move on, and get the next job going. Working at a supermarket, schlepping crates full of produce and stacking shopping carts.

I'm not going to complain too much. The hard work is helping me lose weight like you wouldn't believe (I'm basically paid to work out). But is this really it? I spent half a decade of my life working hard in academia to stack shopping carts?

I had already read The Fastlane and Unscripted , but I never acted on them. Until now.

I'm not going to pester you guys with my idea or ask you for advice that I could get with a google search. I just hope that I'll have something to show you guys before too long.

Wish me luck!
Funny you mention that, Medieval culture amazes me. I find it quite fascinating learning/watching the life of serfs & lords. I'm not saying that you should pursue that, but I would be your first sub if you do.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Welcome to the forum !

Although not something you’d think of, you can use your knowledge for something else.

You have the knowledge to write a story about knights, dinosaurs that doesn’t suck. The ones that don’t suck become pretty well known.
Raise money, make a small film. (crowdfunding)

All you need is a good idea and people willing to pay for it. The rest you figure & learn as you go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...