The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fitness apparel and accessories business model. Fastlane?

ericj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 4, 2012
GA
Since I stumbled upon this site I have been brainstorming many different ideas that could lead to fastlane potential.

MJ DeMarco's book has been great so far, and I plan to have my teenage sons read it once I am finished btw.
I have used the idea analysis tools MJ mentions in his book, and after weighing a few different business model's I have come to the idea of starting a clothing and accessories online business that caters to combat sports (mma, boxing, etc.)

This idea is obviously not original, as I have found MANY others already in this field. This idea is new to me though, as I only discovered it days ago. The top names in the industry are very successful, but with a sea of others out there it makes me question what is the real potential of this business model and if the pursuit is worthy.

After much research of this forum for related topics I found a couple that were related, but were more geared for tee shirt companies. Although they were helpful, they are not specific.

My experience in clothing is none. The key reasons I am drawn to this is because it has potential to reach millions, could be completely an online store, and relatively low investment to get started and test the waters. Also I do practice these sports myself, but I am just a regular joe. Some gear I have used need refining in my opinion, and this is another reason I am drawn to this.

I have a couple names for the clothing line in the works, and artwork logo's as well. I know I am just tire kicking the idea, which is why I am asking you guys if any here have experience with this business model? I do not want to waste time with something that experienced members here would not recommend.

Any and all comments are welcome.
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ericj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 4, 2012
GA
82 views and no comments or thoughts? *crickets*

I went ahead and ordered some blank sample shorts from a U.S. supplier today, and registered on alibaba to send some manufacturers overseas some request about samples. I have not heard back from them as of yet.

After much research in the name I wanted to use, I discovered another individual in the U.S. that already has the name in use but with other wording. I was going to call mine _____ athletics and their is _____fight wear. Needless to say I am disturbed by this, as they do not appear to be doing anything with it other than a facebook page with 17 likes and a domain name. They claim to have been around since 2007. I could go forward with the similar name, but it seems like a bad idea. So I am now trying to create a new name as well as a logo.

I was looking at using big cartel websites or webs to get the ball rolling. I have entertained the idea of looking for other suppliers that may have some drop shipping opportunities to sell on the website until I can get my "brand" designed and refined. Any thoughts on this?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The key reasons I am drawn to this is because it has potential to reach millions, could be completely an online store, and relatively low investment to get started and test the waters.

Your "key reasons" are flawed. Do you notice "one key reason" that seems to be missing? It's called DEMAND, or NEED.

This "key reason" is the most important thing in business, and yet, it seems to have escaped your thought process.

Right now, IMO, your "idea" sounds like a "do what you love" type of thing -- a venture that has you chasing money and ideas with no thought about what the market really wants.

My advice is to create a prototype of whatever design you have in mind and see how the market reacts, or doesn't react. And be weary; most people will say they will buy something, but when it comes down to opening up their wallets and giving you money, it's an entirely different story. (If 10 people say, cool design, I'd buy it! Likely, only 1 or 2 would really do it.)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Your "key reasons" are flawed. Do you notice "one key reason" that seems to be missing? It's called DEMAND, or NEED.

This "key reason" is the most important thing in business, and yet, it seems to have escaped your thought process.

Right now, IMO, your "idea" sounds like a "do what you love" type of thing -- a venture that has you chasing money and ideas with no thought about what the market really wants.

My advice is to create a prototype of whatever design you have in mind and see how the market reacts, or doesn't react. And be weary; most people will say they will buy something, but when it comes down to opening up their wallets and giving you money, it's an entirely different story. (If 10 people say, cool design, I'd buy it! Likely, only 1 or 2 would really do it.)

I had the same thoughts while reading the original post. Find an under served niche, and focus on that niche relentlessly.

The sports apparel market, in my opinion, is over saturated. Check out Google's keyword tool is and see how much competition is out there.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The fashion industry is one of the hardest nuts to crack IMO because its very difficult to clearly identify a need.

But if I do think the fitness industry has potential ONLY IF YOU:

Solve a problem, make something easier, make something faster, make something cheaper, make something more durable. SOLVE something in the fitness industry.

Maybe a new fabric? Maybe a new type of design?

Don't be afraid to look at other niches in this area such as gym wear, cycling, etc. But never jump into a niche because it's something you know or something you think is "cool". The Entrepreneur's job is to solve a problem or make something better not to "make money" or "do what you love".

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Welcome and thanks for sharing your idea.

I am in a similar boat as you as I've decided my FastLane path leads right through a certain type of clothing. I chose it specifically because the product I'm designing isn't available in the form I envision and there is a need for it in multiple industries/marketplaces.

My suggestion is to re-evaluate your idea and try to create/ redesign something that fulfills a need. Basically what MJ and the others have said. If you can't find an unfulfilled need in apparel, move on.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Sara Blakely had no experience when she cut up some panty hose to start Spanx, now the biz is worth $1B, under armour skyrocketed with performance wear, etc...the best ideas may come from outside the industry where people in it can't see the forest from the trees. There is a kid from my alma mater Georgia Tech selling a vest that has slots to put various weights in, I think it'll do well.
Heck, look at the snuggie success.

ericj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 4, 2012
GA
I really appreciate all responses from you guys. This reinforce's the concerns that I have for this industry. It seems very saturated, especially saturated with individuals that are not taking it very seriously.

Thanks for your reply MJ. The demand aspect of this whole idea is what has me on the fence about it, and I appreciate you and the others further pointing out this key element. I plan on doing exactly what you suggested, and see if my prototypes have any chance of success.

I will take all advice given here and I will see if I can figure out a need.

...the best ideas may come from outside the industry where people in it can't see the forest from the trees.
Thanks commoncents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.